• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest to God, delete the freemium timesink games from your phone/tablet now. Right now. Unless you live a life where your job is super boring and you have nothing better to do, just delete them.

I got rid of that stupid Simpsons game, and Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes, Kairosoft games, all that shit in one fell swoop and my phone and life are sooooo much better for it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's possibly quite telling that they rave about download numbers rather than revenue. A free game was always going to be downloaded more times, it doesn't mean anything.

Raving about how much money you're making has bad connotations and is a no-no in marketing. Gamey statistics are 'fun' and is what everyone is doing these days. FIVE BILLION HOURS PLAYED etc.

That said, I've had the pleasure of actually seeing the grossing statistics for one of these 'AAA' F2P titles, not RR3 mind you, and they really do make obscene amounts of money for what they are.

There are people out there who spend 4-5 digits worth of $ on them in short time frames.
Perhaps coincidentally, a significant amount of these 'whales' were US Army pesonnel stationed abroad.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Honest to God, delete the freemium timesink games from your phone/tablet now. Right now. Unless you live a life where your job is super boring and you have nothing better to do, just delete them.

I got rid of that stupid Simpsons game, and Tiny Tower/Pocket Planes, Kairosoft games, all that shit in one fell swoop and my phone and life are sooooo much better for it.

I have some of those games and don't even play them. Just have other better games and things to do I guess

Flunkie

Banned

But they're so addictive. I've deleted most of mine before and it does feel so good, but I kind of like the persistent world outside of reality for a change a couple times a day.

dock

My phone with Clash of Clans and Happy Street fell into a bath of water. I haven't installed them on my replacement phone. It's a relief.

dock

After my aforementioned iPhone-in-bathtub event, I downgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 4S. (I couldn't afford another 4S)

The iPhone 4 really sucks for games, and I hate how little care developers give it with optimisation. I find myself ignoring most game releases because I assume they'll be busted on iPhone 4. :(

Magnust

Neo Member
After my aforementioned iPhone-in-bathtub event, I downgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 4S. (I couldn't afford another 4S)

The iPhone 4 really sucks for games, and I hate how little care developers give it with optimisation. I find myself ignoring most game releases because I assume they'll be busted on iPhone 4. :(
Have yet to meet a game that i can't play on my iphone 4 :S

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
what happened? His father was frozen at the bottom and he was trying to get him free? Why did his hat say thank you? I don't get it.

What's not to get? You just got it.
His hat said thank you because you saved him. Maybe he was magical and knew his son would save him.
I dunno, it was sweet, I smiled, didn't really give it much more thought. I don't think it's meant to be super deep.

colinp

Banned
What's not to get? You just got it.
His hat said thank you because you saved him. Maybe he was magical and knew his son would save him.
I dunno, it was sweet, I smiled, didn't really give it much more thought. I don't think it's meant to be super deep.

Ok. Hmm.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Apparently you can't cancel un-accepted game invites in Super Stickman Golf 2 so they'll sit on the screen until the person you invite accepts/declines them..

Dash, please accept/decline my invite!

Have yet to meet a game that i can't play on my iphone 4 :S

I agree with Magnust. Games on the 4 may take a little too long to load but I've never had performance issues. I'm actually continually impressed that the 4 wasn't forced into obsolescence via an OS upgrade like the 3G was. After the 3G I'd have called you crazy if you told me I'd still be using the 4 three years later.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Crazy, sounds like its real. Hmmmm, do I really need a GBA emu? Still, pretty slick it's in a baby names app, hah.

Seems legit:

Y7UQFsZ.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'll bite the bullet and purchase this to be a test guinea pig for GAF.
dear god, the people on TA are so fucking stupid. Can I download ROMs through the app?? Jesus christ kid...
I saw that too. Could not shake my head hard enough.

DodgerSan

REALLY not getting the unanimous adulation for Year Walk.

Nice production values yes, but it's completely unintuitive. I started the game, found a clock-like device and thought "aha! A puzzle!".

Ten wasted minutes later, I looked up a guide.
Turns out it's something like left, left, forward, right, forward, into a windmill. Then back, right, right, forward into a house.

How the hell are you supposed to know that without a guide if some sort? Struggling to see the appeal.

HBP

Looking at App Shopper it has been out since last month and has had two updates (was also free until the 16th). It sounds like he may have released the app then added the GBA stuff in one of the updates.... very tricky lol.

Zia

Nice production values yes, but it's completely unintuitive. I started the game, found a clock-like device and thought "aha! A puzzle!".

Turns out it's something like left, left, forward, right, forward, into a windmill. Then back, right, right, forward into a house.

How the hell are you supposed to know that without a guide if some sort? Struggling to see the appeal.

The map is not very big, and there are only a couple of puzzles (at most) to interact with at any point in time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Need to back up one of my games (probably Pokemon) by acquiring a ROM before I test if it actually emulates, but so far I have reached the emulation screen as advertised. :)

I'm with you. I needed help with the first two puzzles.

That having been said, after that the game "clicked" and I didn't get stuck. I really enjoyed it upon completion.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You actually can download ROMs from the app, but they don't work as I think they need to be manually unzipped before the app will know what to do with them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You actually can download ROMs from the app, but they don't work as I think they need to be manually unzipped before the app will know what to do with them.
Yeah none of the ones I downloaded from the in-app downloader have worked, probably because there is a BIOS file that needs to be manually unzipped. Won't be able to test that until I get home.

DodgerSan

I'm with you. I needed help with the first two puzzles.

That having been said, after that the game "clicked" and I didn't get stuck. I really enjoyed it upon completion.

Hmmm. I may give it another shot then. I just don't want to have to check a guide for every step because I only went left twice instead if three times or whatever!

Cheers!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah man wtf were they doing, expecting people to think? This is iOS dammit, I want easy answers and FAQs for a two hour game! Fuck exploration, gimme a map! You should totes ask for your money back. And in the reason write "not think".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Woah, that's double-shit. People should have to work for their ROMs. Or go to TA and post "not think" :p

razu

Hi, I'm Jamie, the one-man team behind Chopper Mike, a charming, fast-paced, arcade helicopter time trial game featuring super smooth graphics and amazing controls. It's out this Thursday!! I hope you like it! :D

Release Date
iOS and Android: 21st March 2013.
PC, Mac, Ouya: soon after.

Price
iOS and Android: £1.49, ($1.99).
PC, Mac, and Ouya: TBA, (but will be about the same as iOS & Android).

Features
* Super-responsive controls, "Very impressed by the on-screen buttons in @jamielowesdev's Chopper Mike for iOS. I normally HATE these control methods.".
* 60 frames per second refresh on most devices, (e.g. iPhone 4S+, iPhone 4 is 30fps).
* High quality graphical shaders, (check this!).
* Minimal load times.
* GameCenter leaderboards and Acheivements.
* Instant Restart, for when you're trying to beat your best times.
* 48 levels, split into three difficulty modes.
* 6 playable aircraft, each with their own handling characteristics.
* Beautiful soft shadows.
* No IAPs!! Unlock the 3 bonus aircraft by just playing the game! Pay, play, have a nice day!™.
* Extremely funky music, (which can be turned off, boo!).
* A playable UFO!!

Website
VAMflax.com/ChopperMike

Developer
VAMflax is a one man development company set up by Jamie Lowes. Jamie has worked for Sony, Sega, and Codemasters, working on the handling code for Colin McRae Rally and Sega Rally (Revo). He also worked on the PSP version of Motorstorm. For more details, see jamielowesdev.com

Title Trailer

Chopper Mike Trailer

Gameplay

Awesome Controls! :D

So yeah, Chopper Mike. Made by one dude! Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom