• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

mackaveli

Congrats! Man you sure went a long time without iMessage lol

yeah I know haha. I couldn't receive group messages or anything. I can't believe I went on a tethered jailbreak too haha. One time when I was working out of office in another city I needed my phone to meet up with a friend for lunch and my phone turned off (sometimes it just does that) and I couldn't boot up my phone so I had to download the jail break at office to tether it haha.

Now to remember what apps to get and play with my phone.

Any new apps that I should look into getting???

Blackhead

Redarse
What do we have to do so that we can restore and jailbreak our phones in the future once apple stops signing 6.1.2?

You can save your SHSH blobs with iSHSHit (available in Cydia) but Apple has blocked that from working on iOS 6.x with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini and iPod touch 5th generation.

Save the SHSH blogs anyway just in case a workaround is found in the future. For now though once Apple stops signing in iOS 6.1.2 in the next few hours/days there'll be no going back
I'm half tempted to run out and buy an iPhone 5 and iPad 4 right now just to jailbreak them lol

Sidenote: Can anyone check if SpotSiri is working on the latest firmware? It's a free tweak to type commands into Siri without going through the voice prompt... Not the best time to play around with tweaks if you can't restore

Guys, where do I get a hold of the 6.1.2 firmware for both my iPad and iPhone? Was gonna update stuff today but they just released the new 6.1.3 so now I can't do it directly through iTunes... =S

mackaveli

What do we have to do so that we can restore and jailbreak our phones in the future once apple stops signing 6.1.2?

What do you guys mean by this?

I'm confused as I'm not really into the jailbreak scene and I just jailbreak my phone to mess around with the lockscreen and some cosmetic changes.

Does this mean I can't download apps from the app store in the future???

Shift+Click (Alt+Click on OS X) on "Restore" in iTunes when you plug in your device. Pick the appropriate iOS 6.1.2 file.

Yeah that doesn't work. It starts extracting and then it says apple doesn't approve. I mean how do you update it offline and without having to use iTunes, since that can't be done no more.

knitoe

Yeah that doesn't work. It starts extracting and then it says apple doesn't approve. I mean how do you update it offline and without having to use iTunes, since that can't be done no more.

Not possible. The firmware has to be verify and approve by Apple before you can install/restore with it. There were plenty of days for you to have done it. Why did it took you so long?

iLLmAtlc

What do you guys mean by this?

I'm confused as I'm not really into the jailbreak scene and I just jailbreak my phone to mess around with the lockscreen and some cosmetic changes.

Does this mean I can't download apps from the app store in the future???

No, you will be able use the app store as you always have. Basically, shsh blobs is how Apple verifies IPSW. As soon as Apple releases the newest firmware they will stop "signing" older ones, like ios 5.1.1, so it would be impossible to restore to 5.1.1 firmware through iTunes now. However, if you have the shsh blobs "saved", you could still restore to 5.1.1 as long as you stitch the shsh blobs to the IPSW, go into Pwned DFU Mode, and then Restore.

What is your device and OS (computer)? You might be able to restore to 6.1.2 with sn0wbreeze if you are using iphone 4 (not S) and 3GS as long as you have the 6.1.2 blobs. If you're jailbroken you might have the shsh blobs even if you don't actually have that firmware.*

* However a post above seems to suggest Apple has blocked this method? I'm unsure because I haven't tried downgrading to ios 6 myself, but I seemed to have read reports online of people going from 6.1.1 to 6.1 so I don't know for sure. I know for sure that you can still downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5 with SHSH blobs though.

Not possible. The firmware has to be verify and approve by Apple before you can install/restore with it. There were plenty of days for you to have done it. Why did it took you so long?

? What do you mean what took me so long? Since when has there been a time window for these things? oO Yesterday I felt it was time to upgrade my firmware as I've been on 5.1.1 ever since that one got jailbroken. I bought PKGBackup and had both my devices backing up during the night as it took a few hours. Then I woke up and as I was about to do it suddenly I can't do it with iTunes when it was fine before... when I upgraded to 5.1.1, 5.1.4 was already available and the shit+click thing worked nonetheless. What gives?

giga

? What do you mean what took me so long? Since when has there been a time window for these things? oO Yesterday I felt it was time to upgrade my firmware as I've been on 5.1.1 ever since that one got jailbroken. I bought PKGBackup and had both my devices backing up during the night as it took a few hours. Then I woke up and as I was about to do it suddenly I can't do it with iTunes when it was fine before... when I upgraded to 5.1.1, 5.1.4 was already available and the shit+click thing worked nonetheless. What gives?
For years: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH

What is your device and OS (computer)? You might be able to restore to 6.1.2 with sn0wbreeze if you are using iphone 4 (not S) and 3GS as long as you have the 6.1.2 blobs. If you're jailbroken you might have the shsh blobs even if you don't actually have that firmware.*

* However a post above seems to suggest Apple has blocked this method? I'm unsure because I haven't tried downgrading to ios 6 myself, but I seemed to have read reports online of people going from 6.1.1 to 6.1 so I don't know for sure. I know for sure that you can still downgrade from iOS 6 to iOS 5 with SHSH blobs though.

iPad 3 WiFi - 5.1.1
iPhone 4 GSM - 5.1.1

But it seems like I might as well just wait it out 'till they break 6.1.3 as I'm not really eager to get to iOS 6 as there are no real advantages and I'd be going through too much trouble for nothing.

Also, wtf is up with Skype not working on jailbroken devices now? Is there any way around it?

giga

Ahh, so I just happened to luck out that time because 5.1.1 was (and is) still open, is that it? Okay then. :)
5.1.1 used to be open for the devices you own, but are no longer. It was closed when iOS 6 released. You really should have jailbroken when evasion came out.

iLLmAtlc

iPad 3 WiFi - 5.1.1
iPhone 4 GSM - 5.1.1

But it seems like I might as well just wait it out 'till they break 6.1.3 as I'm not really eager to get to iOS 6 as there are no real advantages and I'd be going through too much trouble for nothing.

Also, wtf is up with Skype not working on jailbroken devices now? Is there any way around it?

That's probably best. Since you have 5.1.1 you don't even have to worry about those apps that only support 5.1 (new google maps for example).

If you are on Windows you will be able to use sn0wbreeze for your iPhone 4. I don't think it'll work with iPad 3 though. If you're curious about what shsh blobs you have saved (and thus firmwares you can downgrade to): Open up Cydia and wait on the home page until it shows you at the top which shsh blobs you have.

just a question does this app backup everything from free apps, paid apps, cracked apps and games etc?

Or is it gimped in some way?

Hi, I don't have any paid or cracked apps so I don't know, but that article seems to say it backs up free apps/tweaks only.

yeah I know haha. I couldn't receive group messages or anything. I can't believe I went on a tethered jailbreak too haha. One time when I was working out of office in another city I needed my phone to meet up with a friend for lunch and my phone turned off (sometimes it just does that) and I couldn't boot up my phone so I had to download the jail break at office to tether it haha.

Now to remember what apps to get and play with my phone.

Any new apps that I should look into getting???

Wow! I didn't even know it was tethered before, that is so grossly inconvenient! Oh well, welcomed to untethered now. You should check out all of the features that iOS 5 introduced, there's some really cool stuff like being able to keep playing videos from Safari/Chrome when you have it minimized (so you can listen to the audio). You used to be able to do it with the stock Youtube App too, before Apple removed it and it doesn't work with the new Youtube app.

That's probably best. Since you have 5.1.1 you don't even have to worry about those apps that only support 5.1 (new google maps for example).

If you are on Windows you will be able to use sn0wbreeze for your iPhone 4. I don't think it'll work with iPad 3 though. If you're curious about what shsh blobs you have saved (and thus firmwares you can downgrade to): Open up Cydia and wait on the home page until it shows you at the top which shsh blobs you have.

Thanks, I'll go over it as soon as I get home again. ^^

Also, it's about time google maps released an app built for the iPad... the iPhone one is awesome but it's not the same...

Ashhong

iPad 3 WiFi - 5.1.1
iPhone 4 GSM - 5.1.1

Skype only says it won't work, but then it does work. At least for me.

iLLmAtlc

Thanks, I'll go over it as soon as I get home again. ^^

Also, it's about time google maps released an app built for the iPad... the iPhone one is awesome but it's not the same...

Sure. You might want to look into restoring to iOS 6.x.x with shsh blobs and whether its still possible though. When I was trying to restore to 6.01 when it wasn't being signed anymore on my moms 3GS It kept being stuck in "soft dfu mode", the iOS wouldn't even boot. I thought it was just because the home button was a little gimped (and maybe there was a problem where it wasn't fully in pwned dfu mode).

Luckily this soft dfu thing is very easily fixed by stitching the 5.1.1 blobs to an ipsw with redsn0w and, going into pwned dfu mode and restoring in iTunes.

Ashhong

Sure. You might want to look into restoring to iOS 6.x.x with shsh blobs and whether its still possible though. When I was trying to restore to 6.01 when it wasn't being signed anymore on my moms 3GS It kept being stuck in "soft dfu mode", the iOS wouldn't even boot. I thought it was just because the home button was a little gimped (and maybe there was a problem where it wasn't fully in pwned dfu mode).

Luckily this soft dfu thing is very easily fixed by stitching the 5.1.1 blobs to an ipsw with redsn0w and, going into pwned dfu mode and restoring in iTunes.

Hmmmm is this why I am unable to restore my old 3G? I kept getting error 1015 or something.

Ashhong

What iOS are you trying to restore to? Isn't the highest iOS 3G could goto is 4.x.x?

I'll have to look again. My home button is broken and I was trying to get it to whatever firmware I could so that I can jailbreak it and use an app to replace the home button. I tried custom IPSW things and everything.

knitoe

I'll have to look again. My home button is broken and I was trying to get it to whatever firmware I could so that I can jailbreak it and use an app to replace the home button. I tried custom IPSW things and everything.

4.2.1 is the last firmware for the 3G. The hardware is just too slow to run newer firmware. Back then, I remember people complaining about the slow speed going from ios3 to ios4 on the 3G.

iLLmAtlc

Oh ok the fact the 4.2.1 is the last one available is actually a very good thing, it means you don't have to worry about the shsh blobs or anything.

Just download the 4.2.1 Ipsw, and restore in iTunes. After that use redsn0w and create a dfu mode 4.2.1 Ipsw to put you into dfu mode because of the broken home button. Restore your phone with the dfu mode Ipsw In iTunes and jailbreak with redsn0w.

My current lockscreen after not being able to fix the grey bar.

hj2xZb6.png

Undecided whether or not to translate the dark theme to the homescreen. Haven't really messed around with new icon packages so I don't wanna do any drastic changes.
CaN anyone help with this! It's one of my favorites of the ones I have seen, I need this in my life.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i dropped my ipod touch 4th gen and the screen cracked, gonna get a 5g tomorrow, i dled the 1.6.2 update from APPLE is that safe?

iPod5,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

893 MB

just asking cause i downloaded it from apple itself so i dunno if they did anything to it?

knitoe

Wish all my cydia tweaks will be less broken. With my phone crashing to safe mode a few times a day... maybe I should remove some of them :(
That would be a wise thing to do. It shouldn't even be crashing once a day.
i dropped my ipod touch 4th gen and the screen cracked, gonna get a 5g tomorrow, i dled the 1.6.2 update from APPLE is that safe?

iPod5,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

893 MB

just asking cause i downloaded it from apple itself so i dunno if they did anything to it?
You probably won't be able to install it since Apple released 6.1.3. Once they release a new firmware, they won't let you install an old one.

Shaneus

Wish all my cydia tweaks will be less broken. With my phone crashing to safe mode a few times a day... maybe I should remove some of them :(
Seriously, just try disabling Auxo (if you have that running). I think every complaint I have about the instability of the jailbreak with iOS6 is because of that. I didn't even uninstall it, just switched off the mobile substrate loading of it via SBSettings.

You probably won't be able to install it since Apple released 6.1.3. Once they release a new firmware, they won't let you install an old one.
Are you sure? I'm sure that when I've jailbroken in the past (even recently) if I just hold shift, click "restore" I can choose any number of firmwares. I don't think it matters what's released, just what version you're currently on (in that you can't downgrade). I'd be very surprised if they didn't let you restore your device to new with your current version if a new one was out.

But I've been wrong before.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Seriously, just try disabling Auxo (if you have that running). I think every complaint I have about the instability of the jailbreak with iOS6 is because of that. I didn't even uninstall it, just switched off the mobile substrate loading of it via SBSettings.
I uninstalled Auxo last night and my phone crashed to safe mode while I was listening to an audiobook this morning.

Are you sure? I'm sure that when I've jailbroken in the past (even recently) if I just hold shift, click "restore" I can choose any number of firmwares. I don't think it matters what's released, just what version you're currently on (in that you can't downgrade). I'd be very surprised if they didn't let you restore your device to new with your current version if a new one was out.

I think the way that they were able to use SHSH blobs to fake signing of old firmwares has been blocked by Apple so this isn't possible anymore. Someone will have to back me up on that though as I'm not sure myself.

knitoe

Nope. You can only restore / install the current firmware out. Apple usually closes the window to install the prior version less than a day. Also, after the iPhone 4, using saved SHSH files no longer works for downgrades on newer devices. Now, the only purpose of saving them is hoping hackers find a way to use them in the future.

Shaneus

Nope. You can only restore / install the current firmware out. Apple usually closes the window to install the prior version less than a day. Also, after the iPhone 4, using saved SHSH files no longer works for downgrades on newer devices. Now, the only purpose of saving them is hoping hackers find a way to use them in the future.
Fuck, there you go. Perhaps I've just been lucky in that I've never had to wipe/restore when an updated, unjailbroken iOS was out.

There ya go.

Edit: Wait. I bought a refurb iPad 3 late last year (shortly after the 4 came out) and I restored it to iOS 5.0.1 a number of times *after* 6 was released (obviously, because the iPad 4 came with it) and I didn't update it until the j/b for iOS 6.0.1 came out.

disabled auxo. it's pretty cool for a while.. but it really doesn't add much, and i've accidentally deleted processes more often than not. gonna see if this will lower crashes.

knitoe

Fuck, there you go. Perhaps I've just been lucky in that I've never had to wipe/restore when an updated, unjailbroken iOS was out.

There ya go.

Edit: Wait. I bought a refurb iPad 3 late last year (shortly after the 4 came out) and I restored it to iOS 5.0.1 a number of times *after* 6 was released (obviously, because the iPad 4 came with it) and I didn't update it until the j/b for iOS 6.0.1 came out.

Looks like there was a bugged for IOS5 that allows you to restore IOS5.X to iOS5.X if you had saved SHSH files. It was fixed in IOS6. So if you installed IOS6, you can't downgrade to IOS5 or any other non latest firmware on a A5 devices, 4S, iPad 3, iPad 4 and etc.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
uhm. but the touch im buying has ios 6.0 new out of store... so how would it even block me from installing that if i have the ipsw and do it offline?

maybe im crazy but it seems to me i should be able to go from 6.0 to 6.1.2 ?

edit: i see i mistyped 1.6.2 in my original post. i meant 6.0 to 6.1.2 (the one that can be jb)

Top Bottom