• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

So I finally had to get rid of Auxo because it was really limiting the use of my iPhone. There was a memory leak which was killing any multitasking apps. The phone is so much faster without it but I would love to have it back at some point.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is there a surefire way to check your remaining disk space, and maybe a list of your installed apps by file size, through any app on cydia? The two obvious ones I found didn't work at all, and clunky to boot.

RS4-

I haven't used iOS in a few years, but my brother wanted me to JB his ip5 for him. What app on cydia allowed you to remove the slide to unlock bar again? I used to be into the whole customize thing back when I had it, but it's been a while

I tried both lockscreen customizer and springtomize, but no luck.

But it's available to download at a different repo for anybody that bought Auxo. It is a beta though

It tried it out but it still crashes too frequently for my liking and it will be really frustrating at a time when I need my phone. I shall leave it a while and see where it's at in a month or so.

edgefusion

I loved using Auxo, especially access to the settings/flashlight and improved music controls. But yeah, it totally murdered multitasking on my 4S. Virtually all my apps needed to be re-opened after closing them, they just wouldn't stay in memory.

I loved using Auxo, especially access to the settings/flashlight and improved music controls. But yeah, it totally murdered multitasking on my 4S. Virtually all my apps needed to be re-opened after closing them, they just wouldn't stay in memory.

Ahh so that's why I had to keep signing into IMO. There was an update to Auxo today on Cydia though and I'm not having this issue anymore. Haven't had any springboard crashes lately either.

Dez

are there any good battery monitoring apps? Ones that will tell me which of my apps are taking the most battery, kinda like on Android?

Homeboyd

I need some i5 lockscreens/themes. There's like 40 billion i4/4s themes/LS' and like 13 for i5.

Anyone have some good recommendations? I've been checking ithemesky, themeit, and macthemes and have even looked through a lot of the modmyi themes... Meh.

Need more! HELP PLS

I'm trying to reset my icon layout on my 4s with Iconoclasm, but when I turn that and Springtomize off, I still have an extra 5th row at the bottom, I can't remember what cydia tweak did this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Found it, it was SwipeDock's "add a row" feature... oh god how frustrating it was to find this when I've got about a hundred apps installed.

Just bought ActiveDock; it makes the dock Mountain Lion style and adds lights to show which applications are running (It costs $2).
VBHe1jm.jpg

Ashhong

Man, my phone has been not turning on lately. I turn it off, then try turning the screen back on and no response and I have to hard reset. Anybody using the "Old TV screen effect" in Springtomize? I think this might be the reason why...

Dosia

Man, my phone has been not turning on lately. I turn it off, then try turning the screen back on and no response and I have to hard reset. Anybody using the "Old TV screen effect" in Springtomize? I think this might be the reason why...

I use that and have not had any issues.

Quick

Banned
Having the Google app open by holding the home button is pretty awesome. It was set to open to voice search, but I changed it to open to text search instead. I also set it to open on the lockscreen by double tapping the clock.

Activator + Activoice for anyone interested.

Ashhong

I use that and have not had any issues.

Deactivated it for now, will see how it goes.

Also is anybody missing music controls on their lock screen? Just noticed today that it's not there. Not sure what I installed that would take that away...

Quick

Banned
So, I've had Activator installed for a couple of days now. I was able to take the icon off the home screen before, but I can't seem to find the option to do that now.

Am I blind?

Blackhead

Redarse
I take back all the bad things I said about SwipeSelection. The newest updates work somewhat well with the sliding shortcuts and KB Shortcuts. The difference between SwipeSelection and SwipeShiftCaret is that SSelection swipes on the keyboard while SSCaret swipes in the text area. The problem with SSCaret is that it can be hard to utilize in text fields embedded in scrollable areas (like say when trying to make a post in a webpage that's been zoomed in a bit). SSelection is better that SSCaret once SSelection it's been made compatible with other keyboard tweaks and shortcuts.

appslide has been updated for iOS6. Pair with SwipeNav** and Zephyr for a smooth UI experience without tapping buttons. Love the flow, almost as good as webOS imo and better than Android.

Also
TypeStatus
TypingPrivacy
FMFLive
Locationholic
not to mention all the swap message history, swap photoroll, save snapchats, lock folder/apps
Can enable some down low behavior. Don't trust anyone with a jailbroken iPhone haha.

**SwipeNav doesn't work nicely with one or two apps. The Transit App was crashing on startup and I narrowed down (using the sbsettings substrate addon disbalble) the cause to be SwipeNav. That was the only app though and after disabling SwipeNav for that app in Settings, it worked properly thereafter.

123rl

What's the best tether app? I can technically tether on my phone but my carrier can track it and stop it. Is there a tethering app that will hide it?

Brofist

What's the best tether app? I can technically tether on my phone but my carrier can track it and stop it. Is there a tethering app that will hide it?

Tetherme works pretty nicely for the price, only like $5 if I recall. Just make the APN settings match your carrier's and they shouldn't detect you, as long as your use is within reason.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Any benefits?

Had my phone on 5.0.1 for about 14 months now.

My 4 runs faster now i've upgraded, plus the new skinning in the music player is much nicer so I don't have to use as much Winterboard stuff. The extra features and being able to run apps that require 6.0+ are pluses too.

Any benefits?

Had my phone on 5.0.1 for about 14 months now.

i'm enjoying it so far. nothing too special imo. i figured at some point in time i would have to eventually upgrade.

the one thing that does irritate me is how the screen brightness doesnt work on sbsettings. i would adjust it on there but after a while, it would go back to whatever brightness was set on the "brightness & wallapaer" tab

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People using Chrome, beware: the newest update breaks compatibility with most JB tweaks for it.
Is it even the jailbreak tweaks? I've turned them all off and Chrome seems to crash a few moments after opening :p

Jubern

JB definitely play a role (some people like me saw Chrome stabilize after removing the tweaks), but it still crashes you might also need to switch on Send Usage Data in privacy settings. It gets back to normal with that, supposedly.

Enzom21

JB definitely play a role (some people like me saw Chrome stabilize after removing the tweaks), but it still crashes you might also need to switch on Send Usage Data in privacy settings. It gets back to normal with that, supposedly.

You need to uninstall any browser tweaks delete and reinstall the app, turn on Send Usage Data and then you can reinstall the tweaks you were using.

Jubern

Oh I see, thanks for the precision. I was only using a tweak that puts a refresh button in the address bar and didn't really used it in the end, guess I won't bother.

Something I've noticed about the jailbreaking community is the [collective] obsession with free memory (RAM) and I never understand it. Free ram is wasted ram, not only in having it sit there empty, but the processing cycles required to load things into ram contributes to faster battery drain, especially since the OS is ridiculously optimized to use a minimal amount of ram (why the 4s has 512mb and the 5 has 1gb compared to competitors).

I'm just musing since I saw the thread come up, so feel free to ignore me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Something I've noticed about the jailbreaking community is the [collective] obsession with free memory (RAM) and I never understand it. Free ram is wasted ram, not only in having it sit there empty, but the processing cycles required to load things into ram contributes to faster battery drain, especially since the OS is ridiculously optimized to use a minimal amount of ram (why the 4s has 512mb and the 5 has 1gb compared to competitors).

I'm just musing since I saw the thread come up, so feel free to ignore me.
Free RAM is wasted RAM sure but it's not that simple on iOS:
  • The first obvious problem is that when the system gets low on free memory the OS decides what should be removed from RAM and often it's just plain arbitrary with unexpected results. That Safari page you had written a bunch of text in before suddenly receiving a call and then respond to some messages? Though luck, iOS decided it was expendable and it's all gone.
  • The second problem, something you alluded to, is that it takes processing cycles to load things into RAM—and also to switch things in and out of RAM (a simple fact that Apple fanboys who insist nobody should be deleting apps from the multitasking bar often don't acknowledge). It doesn't happen by magic and sometimes the processors just don't have cycles to spare which is why the UI slows to a crawl and you get apps crashing when there isn't enough free memory—the OS isn't fast enough in switching out apps in memory as needed.
While iOS may be "ridiculously optimized to use a minimal amount of ram" compared to other mobile OS, and as a result (or because?) Apple skimps on the RAM included in the devices, the reason many people jailbreak is to use tweaks that make iOS very much like other mobile OS. Take the popular tweak Auxo for example which adds a feature to iOS, thumbnails for running apps in the multitasking view, already available in webOS and Android. However webOS has a much different design for handling free memory and Android is backed by more powerful hardware. On iOS though with its limited memory management system one problem Auxo runs into is that it can't provide all the thumbnails in the multitasking view simply because iOS has already removed many of the apps from RAM.

Memory management is the most frustrating bottleneck that jailbreak users are up against. That's why the community is so 'obsessed' with free RAM

Mafro

People using Chrome, beware: the newest update breaks compatibility with most JB tweaks for it.
Thanks for the heads up. I updated on my phone this morning, but I've still got the previous version in iTunes on my laptop so I'll just delete and resync.

eznark

Banned
I had the problem with Chrome crashing but I deleted it and reinstalled it. It doesn't seem like I need to reinstall the tweaks, it's still acting as my default browser for instance.

TheContact

Are there any tweaks that let you change the brightness by swiping left and right across the status bar? Like the status bar itself is a brightness slider. There should be!

Fake edit after google search: there is! Swipebright. Anyone used it?

I used it but it didn't change the lockscreen brightness. It's annoying at night in bed when you think it's dim then the lockscreen comes up and it's super bright

I use a lockscreen brightness now

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I used it but it didn't change the lockscreen brightness. It's annoying at night in bed when you think it's dim then the lockscreen comes up and it's super bright

I use a lockscreen brightness now

I actually ended up getting this and forgot to post back with impressions. Seems to work pretty well for me, you can adjust the sensitivity in the settings and there's also an option to enable it at the lockscreen. Not sure if you missed that or if it was added after you used it, but it's there now anyway. I quite like it, only really need to change my brightness when I go to bed and when I get up so anything that makes it super easy to do that is good in my books.

What's the lockscreen brightness tweak you use?

Top Bottom