• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I need app help, is there something that works really well at streaming mp3s off a computer and letting you download them as well? I found an OK one on the app store, but you can't use the remote with it when its docked...

I need app help, is there something that works really well at streaming mp3s off a computer and letting you download them as well? I found an OK one on the app store, but you can't use the remote with it when its docked...

not streaming to computer but I've been using Melodies: google music client app (from app store) that streams music from google music to my iPhone. you can also download the song for offline listening

Just curious, what do you guys use springtomize 2 for? I purchased it but havent touched it much.

-removed icon and folder labels
-removed spotlight
-removed camara slider on lockscreen
-removed newsstand

I use it for:

*Increase number of icons per row on home screen and folders
*Change the font of the icon labels
*Hide newsstand
*Disable spotlight

I wish I could use it for changing the number of icons in the task switcher but I've never been able to get that to function correctly.

Mafro

Damn accidentally updated Chrome on my iPhone and synced it and now it's unusable thanks to something to do with the jailbreak. I uninstalled all the Cydia Chrome tweaks and it still crashes. Is there any way of getting the previous version of it on there via SSH?

EDIT: never mind, it seems reinstalling and enabling crash reporting fixes it.

surprised at how many people disable spotlight, i use it all the time

does anyone know a free tweak that will turn off the "this accessory is not supported" notification?

I found one called popup blocker that will let you turn off a bunch of different notifications but I have a hard time paying since I only want that single one turned off

Blackhead

Redarse
surprised at how many people disable spotlight, i use it all the time

does anyone know a free tweak that will turn off the "this accessory is not supported" notification?

I found one called popup blocker that will let you turn off a bunch of different notifications but I have a hard time paying since I only want that single one turned off

Last I checked popup blocker is a paid tweak (have to use paypal directly not cydia) and doesn't work properly on iOS6 yet. There is another tweak, Resupported 4.0+, that should turn off the 'accessory not supported' alert. It's a paid tweak too but has a 10 day trial.

Shaneus

Just curious, what do you guys use springtomize 2 for? I purchased it but havent touched it much.

-removed icon and folder labels
-removed spotlight
-removed camara slider on lockscreen
-removed newsstand
All the above, plus:
*5 icons in the dock
*5 icons in the changer
*dim icons in changer that are unloaded from memory
*Time/Free RAM in status bar
*Concave (curved inward) dock icons
*Extra row of icons on the springboard

There's probably more.

Update on the Auxo crashing thing: I disabled Auxo via... something (either Springtomize or iCleaner) and my device hasn't crashed since. I haven't seen an update to Auxo appear in Cydia either, so I don't know what's happening :(

And has there been an update on GridLock at all? That thing STILL isn't released and my springboard looks like a damn mess.

Ashhong

Update on the Auxo crashing thing: I disabled Auxo via... something (either Springtomize or iCleaner) and my device hasn't crashed since. I haven't seen an update to Auxo appear in Cydia either, so I don't know what's happening :(

And has there been an update on GridLock at all? That thing STILL isn't released and my springboard looks like a damn mess.

Gridlock is out, and costs money. I think they called it Gridlock 2? I don't know, but I saw it on Cydia

Shaneus

Gridlock is out, and costs money. I think they called it Gridlock 2? I don't know, but I saw it on Cydia
Fuck that. How much is it if you're not upgrading? It's $2 here, but I feel kind of ripped off that they're charging for it.

From memory, the original wasn't that cheap either and I only got to use it for a year before it became obsolete.

Quick

Banned
Chrome update is out. Seems to have fixed the crashing issue. I'm on it right now with Send Usage Data switched to Never.

I found a tweak called SpeakEvents. It does what you'd expect. But it's great cos when I get a text message it just reads it to me when I have headphones on rather than me having to actually read the thing. You can also tie it to any other application so it'll read the notification. Good for sports updates and such.

Kirby102

So I'm trying to update my iPad from 6.1 to 6.1.2, but it keeps getting stuck at "Verifying iPad restore from Apple's servers". Is anyone else experiencing this too?

Also, I have read that Apple has stopped signing all iOS 6.x updates/restores. Was wondering if this is true too?

Shaneus

So I'm trying to update my iPad from 6.1 to 6.1.2, but it keeps getting stuck at "Verifying iPad restore from Apple's servers". Is anyone else experiencing this too?

Also, I have read that Apple has stopped signing all iOS 6.x updates/restores. Was wondering if this is true too?
You weren't doing the update OTA, were you? I can't recall if that message comes up when you do an upgrade/restore on iTunes or on the device itself.

Quick

Banned
So, I installed a tweak made by Hashbang called TypeStatus. It added an "Opener" menu in Settings, but there's nothing in it. "No Handlers Installed" is what it says in it.

I uninstalled TypeStatus, but the menu is still there. I resprung and it didn't remove it.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

EDIT: Mystery solved via Hashbang's Twitter. I just needed to remove "libopener".

Kirby102

You weren't doing the update OTA, were you? I can't recall if that message comes up when you do an upgrade/restore on iTunes or on the device itself.
I downloaded the full iOS 6.1.2 update onto my PC, it just that iTunes gets 'stuck'.

Well not really stuck, but it keeps giving me the 1602 error, which I looked into and it said that it might be a firewall problem. I turned off my firewall and it still gave me that error. Hm

I downloaded the full iOS 6.1.2 update onto my PC, it just that iTunes gets 'stuck'.

Well not really stuck, but it keeps giving me the 1602 error, which I looked into and it said that it might be a firewall problem. I turned off my firewall and it still gave me that error. Hm

Have you tried restoring from DFU mode?

Enzom21

Is your iPad jailbroken and are you trying to update or trying to restore? If your iPad is jailbroken, you can't update to the newest firmware. You have to restore.

Quick

Banned
Well, finally uninstalled Auxo after crashing for like, the millionth time. Too bad.

Sucks. I've only experienced crashing a couple of times, nothing insane by my standards.

I've been debating on jailbreaking my iPad for some time now, and I did briefly before removing it again because of the lack of tweaks that interest me. Anybody in the same boat?

Shaneus

I bet I know what the problem is. Have a look at your Windows hosts file, make sure there's nothing untoward in there like a redirect from an Apple-related domain to 0.0.0.0 or localhost. Some jailbreak apps do that for them to work.

Kirby102

Have you tried restoring from DFU mode?

Is your iPad jailbroken and are you trying to update or trying to restore? If your iPad is jailbroken, you can't update to the newest firmware. You have to restore.

It is JB and that's how I've been doing my updates to higher FW, since it's more easier through DFU? (well I read that this is the way to go, didn't know that it is the only way to upgrade now)

Shaneus said:
I bet I know what the problem is. Have a look at your Windows hosts file, make sure there's nothing untoward in there like a redirect from an Apple-related domain to 0.0.0.0 or localhost. Some jailbreak apps do that for them to work.

Just had a look at my hosts file, it has the correct Apple server IPs (74.x.x.x) and other ones too, but they are commented out with #, so now I have removed those other lines and it's still hanging at "verifying".

Maybe I should perform this on another PC.

iLLmAtlc

It is JB and that's how I've been doing my updates to higher FW, since it's more easier through DFU? (well I read that this is the way to go, didn't know that it is the only way to upgrade now)

Just had a look at my hosts file, it has the correct Apple server IPs (74.x.x.x) and other ones too, but they are commented out with #, so now I have removed those other lines and it's still hanging at "verifying".

Maybe I should perform this on another PC.

I don't believe it's ever necessary to mess with hosts files anymore. Problems associated with iTunes refusing to restore are usually remedied by stiching SHSH blobs to the IPSW's and restoring in Pwned DFU Mode.

But since this is the latest iOS version available SHSH blobs shouldn't be relevant. You should probably just try the Restore instead of Update.

If that doesn't work try restoring in DFU Mode.

If that doesn't work try going into Pwned DFU Mode and restoring a sn0wbreeze 6.1.2 IPSW with JB installed (assuming if you are able to use sn0wbreeze in the first place, A4 Device + Windows user).

Or you could try another computer but I'm not familiar with firewall errors.

Quick question: are there any apps that can easily set up a LAN between iOS devices? A friend of mine is overseas with his teammates and they're looking for an easy/quick way to communicate around their hotel rooms or in the tournament venue. So if the answer is yes my next question would be about lan chat apps.

Shaneus

I just disabled it from running via the MobileSubstrate thing in either iCleaner or Springtomize (or SBSettings). That way you can still see when it gets updated or whatever.

So how easy is it to un-jailbreak my phone without losing my data stored in it? Can I just do the 6.1.2 update OTA and let it do its business?

I can't seem to do it through iTunes as iTunes now says my phone was previously backed up on another computer and wants to wipe it. Even though it wasn't.

Shaneus

So how easy is it to un-jailbreak my phone without losing my data stored in it? Can I just do the 6.1.2 update OTA and let it do its business?

I can't seem to do it through iTunes as iTunes now says my phone was previously backed up on another computer and wants to wipe it. Even though it wasn't.
Nope, can't do an OTA update at all. Is there a reason you want to get rid of it? You can just remove all the extra apps and it'll basically be like it's unjailbroken... would be a hell of a lot easier, I'd think.

Quick

Banned

Nope, can't do an OTA update at all. Is there a reason you want to get rid of it? You can just remove all the extra apps and it'll basically be like it's unjailbroken... would be a hell of a lot easier, I'd think.

Or why not backup using iCloud?

I'm going to be selling it soon. I want to be able to transfer my contacts over to the new phone and figured being jailbroken was the reason iTunes couldn't read my phone without wiping it.

I'm going away from iPhone too. So iCloud won't help either.

mackaveli

Hey guys,

I have a iPhone 4 (4.2.1) tethered jailbreak.

I would like to update to the latest iOS. How do I do this? I don't care if all those jailbroken apps disappear I just want to install a clean fresh iOS on my phone and start fresh. I want to make sure I don't brick my phone.

Also, can the latest iOS be jailbroken?

Also, I just want to keep all my contact info, pictures, text messages, and email on my phone.

How do I go about this?

Thanks guys

Quick

Banned
Hey guys,

I have a iPhone 4 (4.2.1) tethered jailbreak.

I would like to update to the latest iOS. How do I do this? I don't care if all those jailbroken apps disappear I just want to install a clean fresh iOS on my phone and start fresh. I want to make sure I don't brick my phone.

Also, can the latest iOS be jailbroken?

Also, I just want to keep all my contact info, pictures, text messages, and email on my phone.

How do I go about this?

Thanks guys

Yes, you can update. No, it won't brick your phone, yes, there's 6.1.2 can be jailbroken.

Download the IPSW for 6.1.2, restore your phone with it (shift + click on Restore), let it do its thing, download this to jailbreak. Follow on-screen instructions, and you're good to go.

mackaveli

Yes, you can update. No, it won't brick your phone, yes, there's 6.1.2 can be jailbroken.

Download the IPSW for 6.1.2, restore your phone with it (shift + click on Restore), let it do its thing, download this to jailbreak. Follow on-screen instructions, and you're good to go.

What do you mean Shift + Click on restore?

Do I use redsnow to update my phone or itunes?

Thanks for the info.

mackaveli

You hold shift, then click on Restore. It opens up a window, allowing you to select the IPSW file (that you need to download prior).

K, sorry I think I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this,

but the first thing I do is connect my iPhone to iTunes, and then hold shift and click on the restore button to select the IPSW file?

thanks for the help.

iLLmAtlc

K, sorry I think I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this,

but the first thing I do is connect my iPhone to iTunes, and then hold shift and click on the restore button to select the IPSW file?

thanks for the help.

Yes that's correct. To make sure you don't lose your contacts and messages right click on the phone in iTunes and select backup first. You also want sync everything first like apps and photos so you can sync them back after too.

Enzom21

I tried what you guys said but when I shift + click on it, it doesn't allow me to select the IPSW.

It downloads the 6.1.2 and then it says extract software but than it says the phone is not eligible for the restore or something to that effect.

Any help?
Are you using a Mac? If you are, it's alt+click to select the IPSW.

Ok, then... it's about time I left 5.1.1 by now... just purchased PKGBackup, what's the most recent firmware I should update my iPad/iPhone to?

Top Bottom