• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

iLLmAtlc

uhm. but the touch im buying has ios 6.0 new out of store... so how would it even block me from installing that if i have the ipsw and do it offline?

maybe im crazy but it seems to me i should be able to go from 6.0 to 6.1.2 ?

edit: i see i mistyped 1.6.2 in my original post. i meant 6.0 to 6.1.2 (the one that can be jb)

I'm not sure on this, but I think they would block 6.1.2 and force you to go into 6.1.3 directly (every IPSW has to be verified with Apple through the internet). That's OK, if it's 6.0 from the store you can still jailbreak with evasi0n and I don't even know what the notable features were going from 6.0 to 6.1 and above.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I'm not sure on this, but I think they would block 6.1.2 and force you to go into 6.1.3 directly (every IPSW has to be verified with Apple through the internet). That's OK, if it's 6.0 from the store you can still jailbreak with evasi0n and I don't even know what the notable features were going from 6.0 to 6.1 and above.

oh, i guess i wont risk it then... hope there arent huge bugs in 6.0 then?

iLLmAtlc

oh, i guess i wont risk it then... hope there arent huge bugs in 6.0 then?

Oh there's no "risk" as far as I know, sorry I worded that quite poorly. If you try to restore a 6.1.2 the worst that can happen, I think, is it'll give you an error. Trying to restore to 6.1.2 will not by itself "force' you into the latest firmware, it's never happened to me and I've never read about that happening to anyone.

As far as bugs I don't know, the first iOS 6 for me was 6.1

But yeah from what I understand about the process (which is not a lot) I don't think it'd be possible to restore to 6.1.2 anymore since Apple is no longer verifying (signing) that IPSW.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Oh there's no "risk" as far as I know, sorry I worded that quite poorly. If you try to restore a 6.1.2 the worst that can happen, I think, is it'll give you an error. Trying to restore to 6.1.2 will not by itself "force' you into the latest firmware, it's never happened to me and I've never read about that happening to anyone.

As far as bugs I don't know, the first iOS 6 for me was 6.1

okay, thanks for the info :)

Shaneus

Looks like there was a bugged for IOS5 that allows you to restore IOS5.X to iOS5.X if you had saved SHSH files. It was fixed in IOS6. So if you installed IOS6, you can't downgrade to IOS5 or any other non latest firmware on a A5 devices, 4S, iPad 3, iPad 4 and etc.
I certainly hadn't saved SHSH blobs though By the time I got my iPad 3 directly from Apple iOS6 was out, I hadn't jailbroken and definitely didn't backup my SHSH blobs.

But reading comments on other websites, it most definitely appears to be that you can't reset your device to "new" using 6.1.2 anymore. Apologies for the confusion!

Seanbob11

I remember there was software out that told you what version and baseband you had on your phone? I have a phone that can't get past the unlock screen because I don't have the right sim card to find out via iOS.

Edit: It's okay, it was f0recast.

jts

...hate me...
So I just got my iPhone 4, it's fw is 6.1 (10B144), soo uh how exactly would I go around and jailbreaking it?
>don't update

>http://evasi0n.com

>follow the instructions

>welcome to the jungle

ZD2CX.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
jb my new blue 32gb touch 5...

ios 6.0 so now the wait is on for 7.0 i guess :lol

i read it has wifi issues on 6.0 :( but i dont want to lose jb sigh

knitoe

No my version is currently 6.0.1 ... but from the comments here I thought it's too late to jailbreak now?

If your firmware version can be JB, you can stay on that firmware and JB it. The problems cames when you need to install or restore the firmware. On newer devices, Apple only allows you to use the latest firmware which usually can't be JB.

Dunk#7

Ah I see thanks guys. So I just miss out on any bug fixes/features of the newer firmwares basically.

As does anybody that jailbreaks their phone. You stop at the firmware version that is able to be jailbroken.

If you try to update to a new firmware while jailbroken you will no longer be jailbroken

The only problem you will have is if you have an unlikely scenario where you have a problem with your phone you will have to restore to the latest firmware and will lose your jailbreak because of that. As long as nothing bad happens you can remain jailbroken back at your current firmware. When you are jailbroken you are able to save special files that will allow you to restore to a previous firmware (should anything go wrong) that is jailbreakable instead of being forced to the newest version by apple.

While jailbroken you can only save the special files that correspond with the current newest firmware that is out since it has to communicate with apple's servers to create the file. You cannot generate the special files from an older firmware.

Btw these special files I am referring to are called shsh blobs if you want to read about them somewhere.

linkboy

I don't know if this is an issue with 6.x in general or just my phone, but it's buggy as all shit.

It will crash if I move icons into or out of a folder, it has crashed if I remove something from Cydia. I've gone through my Cydia apps and removed anything that looked like it could be causing an issue (Cydelete and Auxo) and it still does it.

It's also creating extra pages on my springboard and inside folders. Basically, if I create a folder, it puts the apps on page 2 instead of page one and I have to manually move them over.

I know I'm pretty much stuck with it since 6.1.3 can't be jailbroken, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues like this.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of a way to restrict apps. My son loves to "play" Temple run (by play I mean he knows how to jump and that's it, but he enjoys it). The issue is that he also enjoys moving apps around and deleting applications (and with my phone being buggy, it just creates more work for me to fix it).

I've tried iPrivacy since it allows you to create a guest account and hide apps that you don't want accessed (which is perfect), but it's crashing my phone like you wouldn't believe. At this point, I'm almost wishing that I stayed on 5.1.1 (oh well, it's to late now).

edit
I think I got it figured out, I removed Folder Enhancer and the phone (so far) seems to be a lot more stable and folders are behaving like they're supposed to.

knitoe

I don't know if this is an issue with 6.x in general or just my phone, but it's buggy as all shit.

It will crash if I move icons into or out of a folder, it has crashed if I remove something from Cydia. I've gone through my Cydia apps and removed anything that looked like it could be causing an issue (Cydelete and Auxo) and it still does it.

It's also creating extra pages on my springboard and inside folders. Basically, if I create a folder, it puts the apps on page 2 instead of page one and I have to manually move them over.

I know I'm pretty much stuck with it since 6.1.3 can't be jailbroken, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues like this.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of a way to restrict apps. My son loves to "play" Temple run (by play I mean he knows how to jump and that's it, but he enjoys it). The issue is that he also enjoys moving apps around and deleting applications (and with my phone being buggy, it just creates more work for me to fix it).

I've tried iPrivacy since it allows you to create a guest account and hide apps that you don't want accessed (which is perfect), but it's crashing my phone like you wouldn't believe. At this point, I'm almost wishing that I stayed on 5.1.1 (oh well, it's to late now).

edit
I think I got it figured out, I removed Folder Enhancer and the phone (so far) seems to be a lot more stable and folders are behaving like they're supposed to.

As you have figured out, if your iphone is crashing after a JB, it's most likely due to a tweak you installed. If it was due to the JB, it would have been known and fixed.

linkboy

As you have figured out, if your iphone is crashing after a JB, it's most likely due to a tweak you installed. If it was due to the JB, it would have been known and fixed.

Yea, it just sucks since iPrivacy is exactly what I was looking for (it creates a guest account that has it's own password and you can hide apps). I set it up so that Temple Run was the only app he could access, but having it installed triggers a boot loop.

Really wish I could figure it out.

Anyone having issues with bitesms? Nothing major just little annoying things these past few weeks. Like the back(messages) button disappearing. Or new text alerts not going away after read. All in the app of course. Popup feature works just fine.

Shaneus

Well, I'm almost 100% sure that Nitrous and Auxo don't play well together. I "disabled" Nitrous via Settings and that didn't make any difference, but when I prevented it from running via MobileSubstrate (under SBSettings, kinda like a list of apps that run on startup) it has been running fairly stable.

Only problem I encountered that was different was after a while, no apps would open and when I looked in Auxo, it looked like it was a problem with retrieving the icons or something:
A6IcZa1.png

When I say "won't open", the app will try to open (by I think at least displaying that PNG preview that's always generated for iOS apps) but then it just didn't open. Don't think it was a RAM thing either, as I had 160MB free (according to the status bar display). Very strange, but at least it hasn't crashed (yet).

linkboy

And my phone just buggered up again.

Anytime I try to open a folder, I get a Springboard crash. It was working fine and then just starting doing it and I can't fix it (I've uninstalled damn near ever.

At this point, I'm ready just to un-jailbreak it so I can actually use it.

I didn't have any of these problems until I upgraded to iOS 6.

I used to have frequent springboard crashes. Thought it might be Auxo, but still experienced crashes after removing it. Reinstalled Auxo, disabled Springtomize. Haven't had a crash in over a week so far.

linkboy

I used to have frequent springboard crashes. Thought it might be Auxo, but still experienced crashes after removing it. Reinstalled Auxo, disabled Springtomize. Haven't had a crash in over a week so far.

I don't have either program on my phone.

The phone works perfectly fine in Safe Mode, so something is causing it to screw up, I just can't figure out what it is.

Edit
Found the blasted program. FolderIcon was screwing it up.

What the flying fuck happened? oO
My 5.1.1 iPad 3, which had been jailbroken for almost a year and which was jailbroken when I fell asleep last night was NO LONGER JAILBROKEN when I woke up this morning. Has this ever happened to anyone? I just woke up, the Jailbreak apps are there but I can't enter/use them and all the benefits the jailbreak apps provide are gone. This is fucking weird as hell, especially as neither I nor anyone else (I live alone) touched the damn thing... It didn't update itself, it's still 5.1.1... but WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED? Has this ever happened to anyone before? oO

iLLmAtlc

My 5.1.1 iPad 3, which had been jailbroken for almost a year and which was jailbroken when I fell asleep last night was NO LONGER JAILBROKEN when I woke up this morning. Has this ever happened to anyone? I just woke up, the Jailbreak apps are there but I can't enter/use them and all the benefits the jailbreak apps provide are gone. This is fucking weird as hell, especially as neither I nor anyone else (I live alone) touched the damn thing... It didn't update itself, it's still 5.1.1... but WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED? Has this ever happened to anyone before? oO

Are you positive it was still jb when you went to bed? Perhaps it was just a major glitch from some tweak or app you installed?

well luckily for you if you're still on 5.1.1 you can just restore back to 5.1.1 and re-jailbreak

but yeah that is pretty weird, never heard of that happening before

LOLs, springboard just crashed because of some recent jailbreak app of yours. If its still on 5.1.1 there's nothing to worry. Just go ahead and hard reset it.

well luckily for you if you're still on 5.1.1 you can just restore back to 5.1.1 and re-jailbreak

but yeah that is pretty weird, never heard of that happening before

Not unless he remembered to save the blobs.

Do not restore unless you are sure you have blobs. If you did run Cydia after updating to 5.1.1 chances are it auto-saved it for you. To make sure use Tinyumbrella, it'll confirm.

linkboy

Gremlins man, Apple fed them after midnight and their entire job is to erase jailbreaks.

Just got an iPad 4 and it is 6.0.1 out of the box. I manually tried to download 6.1.2 but it didn't let me update through iTunes. Is there a way I can update it to 6.1.2 or am I stuck with the current version if I intend to jailbreak?

Just got an iPad 4 and it is 6.0.1 out of the box. I manually tried to download 6.1.2 but it didn't let me update through iTunes. Is there a way I can update it to 6.1.2 or am I stuck with the current version if I intend to jailbreak?

once the signing window for that particular firmware is closed then you can no longer update to it. If you want to jailbreak then you are stuck on 6.0.1 until a new jailbreak comes out

So I'm on 5.1.1 and My iphone was in my notifications center when I handed it to someone to change songs on pandora and they dropped it in my car and it froze.

When it turned back on it's now at the "iPhone" screen asking me my language and stuff as if it was new, I'm trying to restore from icloud, but when I try to accept the terms and conditions, it doesn't go anywhere when I hit accept.

.. wat do?

linkboy

Like SuicideUZI said, you're stuck and honestly, 6.1.2 really doesn't offer that much (I'm really not that impressed with iOS 6).

iLLmAtlc

So I'm on 5.1.1 and My iphone was in my notifications center when I handed it to someone to change songs on pandora and they dropped it in my car and it froze.

When it turned back on it's now at the "iPhone" screen asking me my language and stuff as if it was new, I'm trying to restore from icloud, but when I try to accept the terms and conditions, it doesn't go anywhere when I hit accept.

.. wat do?

Try booting it again?

If that doesn't work try using redsn0w to "just boot tethered" to see if you can at least get it on to back up your stuff to prepare for a clean restore, assuming if you have shsh blobs saved.

Try booting it again?

If that doesn't work try using redsn0w to "just boot tethered" to see if you can at least get it on to back up your stuff to prepare for a clean restore, assuming if you have shsh blobs saved.

I have no shsh blobs saved... I was an idiot back when i jailbroke it on 5.1.1.... do I just select to Set up as a new iphone? What am I going to lose?

Dunk#7

Has anybody else had an issue on their jailbroken iPhone 5 where the screen becomes discolored for a couple seconds and then shuts off as if the phone resets itself?

I also have had this be combined with the phone's inability to connect to the cellular network. This part does not happen each time but sometimes it does struggle after this strange reset.

I have had jailbroken phones for a long time and this is my first encounter of this. It just started happening in the past week or so and I cannot think of any new tweak that I added in that time.

iLLmAtlc

I have no shsh blobs saved... I was an idiot back when i jailbroke it on 5.1.1.... do I just select to Set up as a new iphone? What am I going to lose?

Did you try booting again?

Try sleep + home button?

Those are probably your best bets right now.

Also try booting with redsn0w anyway?

MAYBE try to re-jailbreak with redsn0w?

As for what you'll lose, I really have no idea. Right now it just seems like your OS won't load, all the data should still be there.

Something similar has happened on iOS 6 JB, where you get booted into the screen you described. The solution was just to boot a few times though and it eventually booted normally.

Did you try booting again?

Try sleep + home button?

Those are probably your best bets right now.

Also try booting with redsn0w anyway?

MAYBE try to re-jailbreak with redsn0w?

As for what you'll lose, I really have no idea. Right now it just seems like your OS won't load, all the data should still be there.

Something similar has happened on iOS 6 JB, where you get booted into the screen you described. The solution was just to boot a few times though and it eventually booted normally.
I've tried rebooting by holding the sleep + home button many times. same result. Is there any other way to reboot?

I can't use Just Boot with redsn0w because its not supported on A5 devices (my 4S) only 4A or earlier it says. And I can't do a restore fix because of the same reason.

Anyone else know what I can do, i don't know what happened to make it do this... is there any way to backup my Iphone filesystem in case I do have to rejailbreak and I can just reimport my files to keep all my cydia mods?

-Here's what happens when it boots, the Apple logo is there for like 30 seconds, then it dims (because of f.lux), then it dims again and flickers and then it comes back much brighter and boots to the "iPhone" screen awaiting a setup...

iLLmAtlc

I've tried rebooting by holding the sleep + home button many times. same result. Is there any other way to reboot?

I can't use Just Boot with redsn0w because its not supported on A5 devices (my 4S) only 4A or earlier it says. And I can't do a restore fix because of the same reason.

Anyone else know what I can do, i don't know what happened to make it do this... is there any way to backup my Iphone filesystem in case I do have to rejailbreak and I can just reimport my files to keep all my cydia mods?

-Here's what happens when it boots, the Apple logo is there for like 30 seconds, then it dims (because of f.lux), then it dims again and flickers and then it comes back much brighter and boots to the "iPhone" screen awaiting a setup...

Sorry I really have no idea. I've been through some nightmares with my busted home button, so I do sympathize! Perhaps you can try some more specialized forums such as jailbreak q&a? You can also try this boot safe mode thing but I'm not sure if it'll work.

http://youtu.be/eJMS1woZMMc

Video says for evasi0n but I think it's supposed to work with all jb phones.

Good luck

Well now I think I'm screwed, I tried all that and now when my 5.1.1 4S tries to boot after a restart, it's stuck on the apple logo forever.

EDIT: I was able to get it into itunes restore mode... (YES!) if I recover from an old backup (circa last november) WIll it force me to update to ios6?

I could redownload my newer apps if I have to, but my photos are my precious lifeblood... will I lose any newer photos that are on the phone since november if I restore from the November iTunes Backup? I can't risk losing any of the 1,500 new photos I've taken since november.

EDIT2: So i was able to get the phone to turn on again and it defaults to this mode:

Anyone know of a way to "exit Safe Mode" from here?

Please iPhone GAF, HALP.

Top Bottom