• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Gaaraz

I'm ashamed to say that when I first jailbroke my iPhone it was for rather questionable reasons, but now a few years on I cannot even remember the last time I downloaded an IPA (though Puzzle and Dragons was tempting since it's not out in the UK yet, I managed to resist and will wait for an official release) and use jailbreak for purely legitimate reasons on my iPad - Dimmer, Bulletin, NCSettings, RetinaPad etc are all pretty much essential for me now

With that in mind, I stuck with iOS 5 because "it just worked" and I haven't encountered any apps that require iOS 6 until now with the Mailbox app - am I okay to just update to the very latest iPad version then use Evasion Jailbreak? Many thanks :)

(edit) Sorry, I mean 6.1.2 - I guess it's easy enough to download the firmware for the earlier versions?

Epix

Here's where I'm at right now.

image.png

image.png

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If you need to bypass the 10 minutes of inactivity limit (for instance, to stay connected to IRC), InfinityTask seems to work rather well.
Works nicely with Colloquy after some tinkering with the configuration files (accessible through iFile), as the app has a built-in time limit to warn the user when the inactivity timer is about to run out. Other apps with similar built-in timers would need a bit of tinkering as well, I guess.

Curiously enough, the Video Backgrounding function of Music Controls Pro seems to do the same thing as InfinityTask, but I removed that because I was getting some instability issues.

Shaneus

What's the overhead like on themes and the 4S? I've been very wary of themes in the past, but I installed Winterboard to get that word clock thing and there's no noticeable difference. Maybe a full theme won't affect it either.

Blackhead

Redarse
I actually have it on my phone LOL, I just clicked the link on my desktop's browser and got a 404 and clicked something on one of the default repos and it loaded fine in my browser so I assumed there was an issue with the link. I guess it's just a desktop thing then.

Aye the cydia links don't work on the desktop for tweaks not in the default repos. I haven't thought of a solution for that. Maybe two links (one to cydia, one for the web with more info) next time

So any new cool tweaks out in recent weeks?

Forecast, JellyLock, ActivityAction (although Readr was more than enough for my needs)

What's the overhead like on themes and the 4S? I've been very wary of themes in the past, but I installed Winterboard to get that word clock thing and there's no noticeable difference. Maybe a full theme won't affect it either.

Themes with the HMTL and javascript mods may strain a bit. Themes with a lot of included icons can create some overhead (the Sarif theme install from Cydia is over 100 MB, had to download over LTE lol) so delete the extra stuff you don't need. Winterboard is one of the tweaks that demands the most RAM but if you don't have a lot of other tweaks installed the phone should be fine.

Shaneus

Themes with the HMTL and javascript mods may strain a bit. Themes with a lot of included icons can create some overhead (the Sarif theme install from Cydia is over 100 MB, had to download over LTE lol) so delete the extra stuff you don't need. Winterboard is one of the tweaks that demands the most RAM but if you don't have a lot of other tweaks installed the phone should be fine.
Yeah, I'm really only looking at basic icon themes (at least, that's what I think they are) more than anything else... I did try the HTC theme once and it suffocated performance, so I thought all themes were like that. Turns out, icon-only (as I said, I *think* they're icon only) is fine!

Mairu

Anyone have issues with auto-brightness following jailbreak? Seems to want to totally darken the screen pretty much all the time now. I turned it off, but if there's a fix somewhere that'd be swell.

Installed tweaks:
browser changer
mywi 6
ncsettings
nitrous
scrobbl

Shaneus

Anyone have issues with auto-brightness following jailbreak? Seems to want to totally darken the screen pretty much all the time now. I turned it off, but if there's a fix somewhere that'd be swell.

Installed tweaks:
browser changer
mywi 6
ncsettings
nitrous
scrobbl
Yup. It's something to do with how the device is resprung (as in, whatever process is killed by the app to respring it). There's a fix (BrightnessFix or something?). Just search for "Brightness" on Cydia, you should be able to find it. It'll be pretty obvious.

Mairu

Yup. It's something to do with how the device is resprung (as in, whatever process is killed by the app to respring it). There's a fix (BrightnessFix or something?). Just search for "Brightness" on Cydia, you should be able to find it. It'll be pretty obvious.
Thanks, found it

Gonna post this here too.

GAF what should I do with my first gen ipod touch? It's gotten to the point where almost no apps from the app store support anymore it so I can finally rid myself of using itunes. But there are still a few apps I like to use on it- pandora, atomic web browser, etc. So if I jailbreak it what app will I be able to use? Or should I get all the apps I can for it off the app store one last time and then use a 3rd party media player to transfer music/videos?

Shaneus

Gonna post this here too.

GAF what should I do with my first gen ipod touch? It's gotten to the point where almost no apps from the app store support anymore it so I can finally rid myself of using itunes. But there are still a few apps I like to use on it- pandora, atomic web browser, etc. So if I jailbreak it what app will I be able to use? Or should I get all the apps I can for it off the app store one last time and then use a 3rd party media player to transfer music/videos?
The reflex action in me shouts "Rockbox", but I have no idea if it's even supported or not.

JaseMath

If there's anyone out there on the fence who hasn't jailbroken (provided you can), I would jailbreak just for Ayecon. What a goddamn beautiful theme.

So on a few people's suggestion over on reddit I decided to download Jellylock, it's awesome except it keeps causing my phone to respring when I use it to unlock/open apps outside of camera. Been trying to narrow down which jailbreak is conflicting with jellylock to no avail. :\

Ashhong

So on a few people's suggestion over on reddit I decided to download Jellylock, it's awesome except it keeps causing my phone to respring when I use it to unlock/open apps outside of camera. Been trying to narrow down which jailbreak is conflicting with jellylock to no avail. :\

I just downloaded the beta and I dont even have options to put other apps in there. How are you doing that? The app description says that it can only be used to unlock and access the camera at the moment

Gaaraz

Guys, is it too late for me to update to 6.1.2? I get an error and after a quick Google, it seems like maybe I have no option but to go with 6.1.3? (Or stick with 5.1.1)

Gaaraz

Grrr. Things like this are why I hate Apple - in the last few years I've purchased an iPhone, an iPad, an Apple TV, a MacBook etc and generally spent loads of Apple devices.

The hassle of having to jailbreak has meant I've moved my phone away from iOS, I don't use the Apple TV because it's a real pain to jailbreak (had it two years, used it probably 3 times) and now I'm thinking my next tablet will be Android too.

I mostly love iOS, but hate the way it's so restricted.

(edit) Sorry for my rant, thank you Greyface :)

demented

I built a new PC and I'm gonna install itunes soon but I'm worried I might lose all my shit when I sync, like it will delete installed apps, or worse like 30+ gb of comics and hunderds of books of my ipad, what should I do? Should I just sync and backup as usual and it will create new files or what?

Pachimari

Quick Reply for Messenger (Facebook) is out for iOS6.

Atom is also out, it's another way of unlocking your iPhone and having 6 shortcuts to apps on the lockscreen.

Pachimari

I think Jellylock looks better and has the customizations I need. Of course Atom have animations and room for more than 3 apps.

When is the "place your chat heads anywhere" tweak coming out?

Top Bottom