• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Casanova

I think one of the evasi0n guys said they're saving their exploits for a "major release", so since 6.1.4 was for iPhone 5 only I do not think so.

What about 6.1.3 ? I have an iPhone 4 with 6.1.3 and I've really been wanting to Jailbreak it again.

It was, at one time, jailbroken but it was updated at one point by accident when a friend was using it.

I've checked the links in the OP but I can't seem to find anything confirming 6.1.3 compatability. Then again, I may have just overlooked it.

Is there any hope for me? Any way at all for me to jailbreak my iPhone again?

Some of these new apps and tweaks look incredibly convenient and fresh. I'd really like to take advantage of them.

iLLmAtlc

What about 6.1.3 ? I have an iPhone 4 with 6.1.3 and I've really been wanting to Jailbreak it again.

It was, at one time, jailbroken but it was updated at one point by accident when a friend was using it.

I've checked the links in the OP but I can't seem to find anything confirming 6.1.3 compatability. Then again, I may have just overlooked it.

Some of these new apps and tweaks look incredibly convenient and fresh. I'd really like to take advantage of them.

What version was your ios when it was jailbroken? Have you ever been jailbroken on ios 5.x.x? If yes, you can get back to ios 5 jailbreak, but only if cydia saved your shsh blobs. Unfortunately, ios 6 is out of the question.

Links:

Save your shsh blobs: http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=16990

Using shsh blobs to downgrade: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/09/27/stitch-shsh-blobs-redsn0w-downgrade-firmware/

Once you've created the stitched Ipsw put your phone in pwned dfu mode, go into itunes and restore with your stitched Ipsw. Don't let the terminology bog you down, it is really a very straight forward process with those guides. If you need help though be sure to post here.

Before you attempt be sure to back up and all that.

Be sure to back up and all that

Shaneus

SHSH blobs are useless.

For those who don't care about the long explanation below: the only devices where saved iOS 6 APTickets are actually ever useful are the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and the 4th generation iPod touch; on these devices, users can, and probably "should", save the APTicket that is currently allowing their device to boot. This can be done with a tool that can dump this information using the limera1n bootrom exploit, such as redsn0w or iFaith, and upload the replacement to Cydia.

Blackhead

Redarse

You can do a tethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1.3: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=29764

I have a question.

My sister gave me her old iPhone 4 which is on firmware 4.2.1. I don't plan to use it as a phone but as an iPod/multimedia device/PDF viewer/etc. While doing research online I read that firmware 6.1.2 is the last one that has an untethered jailbreak. Is there a way I can update it to 6.1.2 instead of the most recent firmware? I tried jailbreak guides on how to jailbreak 6.1.2 but every time I try to update the firmware in iTunes I get error messages(3194 and some other ones).

I have a question.

My sister gave me her old iPhone 4 which is on firmware 4.2.1. I don't plan to use it as a phone but as an iPod/multimedia device/PDF viewer/etc. While doing research online I read that firmware 6.1.2 is the last one that has an untethered jailbreak. Is there a way I can update it to 6.1.2 instead of the most recent firmware? I tried jailbreak guides on how to jailbreak 6.1.2 but every time I try to update the firmware in iTunes I get error messages(3194 and some other ones).

once apple stops signing that particular firmware you can no longer upgrade to it. your only options are to stay on 4.2.1 or update to 6.1.3 and run a tethered jailbreak until a new untethered jailbreak comes out which probably will not be until 2 - 3 months after iOS 7 is out

RedShift

I have a question.

Pretty sure that'll be impossible.

It should be possible to jailbreak it on 4.2.1, or you can update to 6.1.3 and do a tethered jailbreak, which will mean if it turns off or runs out of battery you'll have to plug it into your computer to turn it back on.

googiri just came out. free tweak that pretty much passes your google search voice query back to siri... which pretty much fixes siri in major ways.

it's pretty damn amazing.

Any tweak to help me block an app update? I purchased McTube Pro, and its great but the newest update takes off the cache option so i wanna make sure I NEVER update it.

Any tweak to help me block an app update? I purchased McTube Pro, and its great but the newest update takes off the cache option so i wanna make sure I NEVER update it.

the fuck? I mean they were gonna do that eventually :(

You should try that paid tweak for the native youtube app that gives you cache and what not.

the fuck? I mean they were gonna do that eventually :(

You should try that paid tweak for the native youtube app that gives you cache and what not.
I paid for both Yourtube and Protube extension but Mctube is honestly better than both. (Protube is glitchy and Yourtube doesnt have Playlists, neither allow you to browse videos while a video is playing in the background)

I have a backup of Mctube pro on my mac but that badge on the appstore icon is annoying and i dont wanna hit "update all" like i usually do on accudent.

I paid for both Yourtube and Protube extension but Mctube is honestly better than both. (Protube is glitchy and Yourtube doesnt have Playlists, neither allow you to browse videos while a video is playing in the background)

I have a backup of Mctube pro on my mac but that badge on the appstore icon is annoying and i dont wanna hit "update all" like i usually do on accudent.

Seems like the free one still has caching even though its limited to 10 videos. Huh.

Yeah mctube is fantastic. Was too good to be true :(

No, there's no way.

once apple stops signing that particular firmware you can no longer upgrade to it. your only options are to stay on 4.2.1 or update to 6.1.3 and run a tethered jailbreak until a new untethered jailbreak comes out which probably will not be until 2 - 3 months after iOS 7 is out

Pretty sure that'll be impossible.

It should be possible to jailbreak it on 4.2.1, or you can update to 6.1.3 and do a tethered jailbreak, which will mean if it turns off or runs out of battery you'll have to plug it into your computer to turn it back on.

Oh okay. Thank you.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
is seasonpass the only way to jailbreak an apple TV 2?

I have jailbroken mine and doing the tethered boot option it just keeps saying iBSS upload successful reconnecting in 10 seconds and just repeats this process.

my apple TV was on 5.2.1 i downloaded the latest seasonpass and it appeared to do everything fine with the iTunes script etc, it just sits there when trying to boot.

edit nevermind, i'm an idiot, i swear it wasnt working the other night. but now it is.

Alright I'm a bit confused, I currently have a iPhone 4 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and lately I would like to start over and experience the freshness of newer iOS versions, is there any Jailbreak for a iPhone 4 for 6.1.3? I have seen some people on the net claiming that there is a untethered one for A4 devices and the iPhone 4 is a A4 device right? o.o

Now I have been reading that the iPhone 4 only has a tethered jailbreak for 6.1.3 and I'm confused... the only SHSH blobs I have are for 4.3.3 and 5.0.1 though I never was on 5.0.1 before so what are my options? Thanks in advance!

iLLmAtlc

Alright I'm a bit confused, I currently have a iPhone 4 jailbroken on 4.3.3 and lately I would like to start over and experience the freshness of newer iOS versions, is there any Jailbreak for a iPhone 4 for 6.1.3? I have seen some people on the net claiming that there is a untethered one for A4 devices and the iPhone 4 is a A4 device right? o.o

Now I have been reading that the iPhone 4 only has a tethered jailbreak for 6.1.3 and I'm confused... the only SHSH blobs I have are for 4.3.3 and 5.0.1 though I never was on 5.0.1 before so what are my options? Thanks in advance!

No untethered exists afaik those people are probably trying to distribute malware.

Your only options are: 5.01 untethered and 6.1.3 tethered. Honestly the jump from ios 5 to 6 is not significant, while 4 to 5 was massive. I believe the inconvenience of having a tehethered jb far outweighs the minimal gain in features from ios 6. I think you should try out 5.01 and check out all of those features like iMessage, iCloud and also background (minimized play) of videos, among other things.

No untethered exists afaik those people are probably trying to distribute malware.

Your only options are: 5.01 untethered and 6.1.3 tethered. Honestly the jump from ios 5 to 6 is not significant, while 4 to 5 was massive. I believe the inconvenience of having a tehethered jb far outweighs the minimal gain in features from ios 6. I think you should try out 5.01 and check out all of those features like iMessage, iCloud and also background (minimized play) of videos, among other things.

Alright thanks, I will go with 5.0.1 then! :D And is it safe to say that I can get to 5.0.1? I'm afraid of messing up and being forced to upgraded to 6.1.3 :/ I'm so out of the loop that a tutorial would be helpful :(

iLLmAtlc

Alright thanks, I will go with 5.0.1 then! :D And is it safe to say that I can get to 5.0.1? I'm afraid of messing up and being forced to upgraded to 6.1.3 :/ I'm so out of the loop that a tutorial would be helpful :(

I think it is. Are you on Windows? If yes, you can verify the status of your shsh blob if you download it onto your computer and use iFaith to build your IPSW. If there's something wrong with the APTicket like with iOS 6 blobs the program will not let you proceed. You could also just use iFaith to download your blobs directly.

Something else to consider is whether your phone is using a software unlock like ultrasn0w. If it is, you must preserve your baseband to keep your unlock. You can preserve your baseband if you create the IPSW with sn0wbreeze (which always preserves baseband whether you ask for it or not), or do it manually with redsn0w.

Guides are widely available if you search for "downgrade to iOS 5". Going from iOS 4 to 5 isn't exactly downgrading but the process is identical: you need to stitch your shsh blob to an IPSW, go into Pwned DFU Mode, and restore your phone with your stitched IPSW in iTunes:

http://www.iclarified.com/25227/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3gs-from-ios-6x-to-ios-5x-windows

If you have any further questions feel free to post them here

Alright thanks again for the help! :) Yes I'm on Windows 7 64bit and unlocking and Ultrasn0w is no issue as I run on a official carrier. Well a few questions remain, I downloaded my SHSH blobs successfully via iFaith though I'm not sure if I selected the right device between iPhone 4, GSM iPhone 4 GSM Rev 2 and iPhone 4 CDMA :/ I have a iPhone 4 with a Nano-Sim bought in mid 2011 so I assume it's a normal GSM one?

iFaith got blobs for 4.3.3 4.3.4 4.3.5 and 5.0.1 plus it said something about getting a APTicket for 5.0.1 so I guess I picked the right device? I mean it wouldn't have got the blobs if I chose the wrong device correct?

Next, is there any difference between using iFaith to stitch a IPSW and using RedSn0w as in the tutorial and selecting a IPSW and then a SHSH blob?

I know I cannot brick my iPhone but I still have a weird feeling and hope I won't end up having to go to 6.1.3, that's where I really miss 1:1 Nandroid Backups on the Apple side :p

Oh do I have to update iTunes? I currently run 10.6.3.25.

Other than that I think I asked everything I wanted to and I guess I will spend the holiday tomorrow to get everything backupped and then upgrade, oh the joy of having to redo all my self-made Winterboard mods and porting my favorite font to 5.x.x. Though I really need this update now since as of late my iPhone loses the connection to the carrier network whenever I disable 3G and let it idle for a hour or two and I hope the update fixes this :(

iLLmAtlc

Alright thanks again for the help! :) Yes I'm on Windows 7 64bit and unlocking and Ultrasn0w is no issue as I run on a official carrier. Well a few questions remain, I downloaded my SHSH blobs successfully via iFaith though I'm not sure if I selected the right device between iPhone 4, GSM iPhone 4 GSM Rev 2 and iPhone 4 CDMA :/ I have a iPhone 4 with a Nano-Sim bought in mid 2011 so I assume it's a normal GSM one?

I'm not 100% sure on this. You could just try selecting CDMA to see if it'll download any blobs. If yes, then we should look further with google to determine what you've got.

Next, is there any difference between using iFaith to stitch a IPSW and using RedSn0w as in the tutorial and selecting a IPSW and then a SHSH blob?

I do not think there is any noticeable difference other than during the restore process iFaith shows a snowflake instead of the apple logo. Maybe you'd feel safer using iFaith, the newer software? I've tried with redsn0w too as recently as March-April and it still works. I've also tried sn0wbreeze (used to preserve baseband by iFaith creator) and it works too, so both should be fine.

Oh yeah if you use iFaith you also need to download iREB to help put your phone into Pwned DFU Mode.

Oh do I have to update iTunes? I currently run 10.6.3.25.

Probably doesn't hurt, but maybe not necessary until you run into snags. Mine is 10.7.0.21 and I've successfully downgraded an iPhone 4 and 3GS recently.

Good luck and please report back to tell us how it goes!

123rl

I found a dust blob on my iPhone 5's lens. I'm guessing I can get it exchanged from Apple but how likely am I to get a replacement that is on 6.1.2 or lower?

Rasec

I found a dust blob on my iPhone 5's lens. I'm guessing I can get it exchanged from Apple but how likely am I to get a replacement that is on 6.1.2 or lower?

well if it's a new phone they had for some time you might get it on 6.1.
Also, thus might sound dumb but try to blow on the mic near the lens.
the dust must have gotten in there trough the mic.

123rl

well if it's a new phone they had for some time you might get it on 6.1.
Also, thus might sound dumb but try to blow on the mic near the lens.
the dust must have gotten in there trough the mic.

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I'll try that first. It's still in good condition, apart from a few minor scrapes, so I wouldn't want to swap just for the sake of getting a mint phone especially if it meant I'd lose my jailbreak

I'm not 100% sure on this. You could just try selecting CDMA to see if it'll download any blobs. If yes, then we should look further with google to determine what you've got.

I do not think there is any noticeable difference other than during the restore process iFaith shows a snowflake instead of the apple logo. Maybe you'd feel safer using iFaith, the newer software? I've tried with redsn0w too as recently as March-April and it still works. I've also tried sn0wbreeze (used to preserve baseband by iFaith creator) and it works too, so both should be fine.

Oh yeah if you use iFaith you also need to download iREB to help put your phone into Pwned DFU Mode.

Probably doesn't hurt, but maybe not necessary until you run into snags. Mine is 10.7.0.21 and I've successfully downgraded an iPhone 4 and 3GS recently.

Good luck and please report back to tell us how it goes!

Okay thanks again for answering all this, I just came back from Star Trek into Darkness so I probably will do all this tomorrow after a good nights sleep and report back yeah :)

Alright I'm on 5.0.1 now and this was probably the most painless update and jailbreak with RedSn0w I ever had o.o Thanks again iLLmAtlc! :D One question though, I noticed that my iPhone wanted to download 6.1.3 OTA and was already halfway through so I rushed to Cydia and got the "No Update" tweak which seems to work though can I check somewhere over SSH if I have a partial update file downloaded that eats space?

Okay I have a slight problem now. I was doing a essential Cydia Upgrade when I got a popup saying "6.1.3 is now available. View / Cancel" I clicked Cancel of course though now I can't access the setting app anymore, whenever I do I get to the Update screen saying "No Update Tweak installed" "Working like a charm!" and it won't let me back out from there :/

And another edit, I downloaded SBSettings and a respring fixed it though is there a way I can make sure a OTA update never gets through?

EDIT3: Okay everything is going smoothly so far and I installed my Cydia apps again though now that I started iTunes and set up up as a new iPhone it shows that 2.6gb is used by "Other" o.o Now I'm aware Other usually includes Jailbreak things but I haven't even messed with Winterboard yet and before the update I had 900mb used as other which seems reasonable but now I wonder what is 1.7gb big on a freshly installed iPhone? :/ Is there anyway to see what exactly makes up "Other"? I currently run a search with iFunBox for every file that exceeds 50mb and see if I find anything suspicious.

iLLmAtlc

Alright I'm on 5.0.1 now and this was probably the most painless update and jailbreak with RedSn0w I ever had o.o Thanks again iLLmAtlc! :D One question though, I noticed that my iPhone wanted to download 6.1.3 OTA and was already halfway through so I rushed to Cydia and got the "No Update" tweak which seems to work though can I check somewhere over SSH if I have a partial update file downloaded that eats space?

Okay I have a slight problem now. I was doing a essential Cydia Upgrade when I got a popup saying "6.1.3 is now available. View / Cancel" I clicked Cancel of course though now I can't access the setting app anymore, whenever I do I get to the Update screen saying "No Update Tweak installed" "Working like a charm!" and it won't let me back out from there :/

And another edit, I downloaded SBSettings and a respring fixed it though is there a way I can make sure a OTA update never gets through?

EDIT3: Okay everything is going smoothly so far and I installed my Cydia apps again though now that I started iTunes and set up up as a new iPhone it shows that 2.6gb is used by "Other" o.o Now I'm aware Other usually includes Jailbreak things but I haven't even messed with Winterboard yet and before the update I had 900mb used as other which seems reasonable but now I wonder what is 1.7gb big on a freshly installed iPhone? :/ Is there anyway to see what exactly makes up "Other"? I currently run a search with iFunBox for every file that exceeds 50mb and see if I find anything suspicious.

Glad to hear it worked out!

A tweak like no update should be sufficient to never see an ota update again. I have something similar installed and i haven't ever seen the 6.1.3 prompt.

As for your other space issue, I have no idea. It sounds like no update interupted the ota update and left the downloaded files there, but thatd just be a guess. Coincidently I'm trying to figure out why I have like almost 3gb in other space too. Perhaps others could chime in?

But since your phone is freshly installed, it wouldn't be unreasonable to just restore again with your 5.01 Ipsw if its really bugging you.

Glad to hear it worked out!

A tweak like no update should be sufficient to never see an ota update again. I have something similar installed and i haven't ever seen the 6.1.3 prompt.

As for your other space issue, I have no idea. It sounds like no update interupted the ota update and left the downloaded files there, but thatd just be a guess. Coincidently I'm trying to figure out why I have like almost 3gb in other space too. Perhaps others could chime in?

But since your phone is freshly installed, it wouldn't be unreasonable to just restore again with your 5.01 Ipsw if its really bugging you.

Alright I will keep No Update then :D And whoa that's really a coincidence though I atleast managed to get it down to 770mb, go to Cydia and install iCleaner! Apperantly I had about 2GB of cache files that it removed so hopefully it's the same for you :)

iLLmAtlc

hey guys sorry if old, but did you guys know if you are currently running iOS 6.0-6.1.2 on 3GS or 4 you could still save the shsh blob of that version from your phone? I had no freakin' clue until I was just browsing over that Cydia blob post and noticed it on the final paragraph.

So anyway, you need to use the "Dump shsh" function in iFaith to do it. I'm pretty pumped to have a 6.1.2 blob saved now. I haven't tested a restore but I did attempt to build an Ipsw and ifaith told me the APticket looked good unlike the 6.0 cydia ones.

I wonder why this wasn't more widely publicized, or was I just not paying attention?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/ifaith/

Also thanks Skyfireblaze, I had been using iCleaner but it was only cleaning out like 300 mb lol.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
hey guys sorry if old, but did you guys know if you are currently running iOS 6.0-6.1.2 on 3GS or 4 you could still save the shsh blob of that version from your phone? I had no freakin' clue until I was just browsing over that Cydia blob post and noticed it on the final paragraph.

So anyway, you need to use the "Dump shsh" function in iFaith to do it. I'm pretty pumped to have a 6.1.2 blob saved now. I haven't tested a restore but I did attempt to build an Ipsw and ifaith told me the APticket looked good unlike the 6.0 cydia ones.

I wonder why this wasn't more widely publicized, or was I just not paying attention?
I think you can save the blobs but you can't use them to restore. They're basically giving you the option in case some way of using them comes up in the future, I think. That's why it's not really that big a deal.

iLLmAtlc

I think you can save the blobs but you can't use them to restore. They're basically giving you the option in case some way of using them comes up in the future, I think. That's why it's not really that big a deal.

I think what you're referring to is saving shsh blobs for A5 devices like iPhone 5 and 4s. If the APTicket is valid and if you're on iPhone 4 I see no reason why the restore wouldn't work:

What does this mean for me now?
Secondly, for the remaining 25.8% of Cydia users for which cached iOS 6 APTickets could be useful, by far the primary purpose is to restore or otherwise recover the version of iOS you are currently running untethered.

In either of these two use cases, the alternative to an APTicket exploit is to upgrade to iOS 6.1.3 ... but the result will not be an untethered jailbreak: many users (including myself) really hate using tethered jailbreaks.

[...]

Thankfully, this situation is actually fairly easily solved: redsn0w has the ability to dump the full TSS information from a device (also using that same limera1n exploit). I thereby encourage users of devices capable of being exploited by limera1n (the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, or 4th generation iPod touch) to download this tool right now and use it to upload complete TSS information.

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

So yeah I think he's saying that it's not too late to get the blob of the iOS version you are currently running. I managed to get a 6.1.2 blob like this, and according to iFaith the APTicket is valid. I had old 6.0 blobs saved from Cydia (the unusable ones) and when I put them into iFaith they tell me the APTicket is invalid and would not let me proceed.

PSGames

Hey guys a couple questions. I have an iPhone 5 and 3gs both on 6.0.1. The 3gs is already jail broken but its a Tethered jailbreak the iPhone 5 is stock. How would I go about getting both to an untethered jailbreak? Would it be the same process for both? Thanks.

ChanHuk

Banned
Hey guys a couple questions. I have an iPhone 5 and 3gs both on 6.0.1. The 3gs is already jail broken but its a Tethered jailbreak the iPhone 5 is stock. How would I go about getting both to an untethered jailbreak? Would it be the same process for both? Thanks.

Google evasi0n.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've hit the limits of iPhone jaibreak yet again :/. My iPhone5 is indisputably faster than my GNexus but after installing a ton of jailbreak tweaks it doesn't feel that way. The jailbroken iPhone is also much more unstable than a rooted Android phone. So many trade-offs...

Shaneus

I've hit the limits of iPhone jaibreak yet again :/. My iPhone5 is indisputably faster than my GNexus but after installing a ton of jailbreak tweaks it doesn't feel that way. The jailbroken iPhone is also much more unstable than a rooted Android phone. So many trade-offs...
It's a balancing act, for sure. It's why I haven't ever used things like Winterboard for any extended period of time... there are just some applications that you can tell are a memory hog. Heck, disabling WB freed up around 30-40mb RAM and I wasn't even using any skins! That alone was enough to stop iCab from crashing every 5 minutes.

I have an iPhone 4 running on 6.0.1 which I jailbroke using evasi0n not too long ago. Last week I could finally unlock it officially via my provider, but now it still needs to connect to iTunes, restore and update my iOS in order to activate the unlock. Is there a way to bypass this? I think, I'll lose my jailbreak doing so.
Baseband is 4.12.02...

Blackhead

Redarse
I have an iPhone 4 running on 6.0.1 which I jailbroke using evasi0n not too long ago. Last week I could finally unlock it officially via my provider, but now it still needs to connect to iTunes, restore and update my iOS in order to activate the unlock. Is there a way to bypass this? I think, I'll lose my jailbreak doing so.
Baseband is 4.12.02...
Follow this simple guide

It's a balancing act, for sure. It's why I haven't ever used things like Winterboard for any extended period of time... there are just some applications that you can tell are a memory hog. Heck, disabling WB freed up around 30-40mb RAM and I wasn't even using any skins! That alone was enough to stop iCab from crashing every 5 minutes.
Aye, I've dropped a few. But new got-to-have tweaks keep coming out! I only got Userscripts Loader a few weeks ago but already I can't imagine not having Neogaf Live Update when browsing a thread. Every tweak seems so useful but iOS just wasn't made for these many mods.

*Sigh* Better to burn brightly blah blah blah

How does one go about getting Robert Broglia's .emu emulators on a device now that they have been removed from cydia? All I can find is the pirated versions... But I want the real deal (for DS3 support).

Top Bottom