• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

giga

Backfoggen said:
3G with 05.14.02 baseband. MuscleNerd is talking about a proper unlock right? No custom .ipsw stuff?
Yep. You’re in the clear then when they release it for 4.2.

rc213

MuscleNerd tweeted that @chpwn is working on a PwnageTool for Windows.

Also if you're waiting for a unlock @Sherif_Hasim said 4.2 carries new basebands for iPhone 3G/3GS & iPhone 4. Not sure if you will need to preserve your baseband from 4.1 into 4.2 so don't upgrade. Cydia also needs updating as well.

Quick question:

I'm jaibreaked on 4.0. I want to move on 4.1 and not be jaibreaked anymore. Should I do a simple update in iTunes or is there any special instructions I should follow?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cereal KiIIer said:
Quick question:

I'm jaibreaked on 4.0. I want to move on 4.1 and not be jaibreaked anymore. Should I do a simple update in iTunes or is there any special instructions I should follow?
Simply update with iTunes.

A friend has an unlocked, jailbroken iPhone 2G running 3.1.0.

What's the fastest and simplest way to get it to unlocked/jailbroken running 3.1.3?

Does anyone know if it is possible to add additional audio codec support to the default iPod app on a jailbroken iPhone?

A long time before I had an iPhone I ripped most of my CD collection to .ogg format and it would be nice to be able to transfer without having to convert them to something else. Also flac support would be nice.

aku:jiki

After being stuck on a blackra1n tethered jailbreak with 3.1.2 for the longest time, I'm finally updated with an untethered limera1n, ultrasn0w unlock and 4.0! Thanks to the various GAF posters who gave some advice that helped me get there. :D

My new phone, yay!

5153670715_d08bf6d76c.jpg
5153671091_136c512fe1.jpg

So what did I miss on the Cydia front while I was out? I haven't seen any neat new apps in like 6 months... I'm gonna browse the thread in the coming weeks and see what's been posted, but what are the must-haves?

Blackhead

Redarse
aku:jiki said:
So what did I miss on the Cydia front while I was out? I haven't seen any neat new apps in like 6 months... I'm gonna browse the thread in the coming weeks and see what's been posted, but what are the must-haves?
What's New In Cydia: MyOS, Quake 3 for iPad, iControl... Nov' 5
What's New In Cydia: FullScreen for Safari, GPower, iPShare, Chicken Fighter... Oct' 19
What's New In Cydia: MarkRead, BiteSMS 5, NoLockScreen... Oct' 12

20 Must-Have Cydia Apps & Tweaks for iPhone. Oct' 11 (MacStories)

What's New In Cydia : iPicMyContacts, MultiCleaner, GroupSend... Sept' 30
What's New In Cydia : LSRotator, Home Page in Safari, FoldersInFolders... Sept' 19

aku:jiki said:
After being stuck on a blackra1n tethered jailbreak with 3.1.2 for the longest time, I'm finally updated with an untethered limera1n, ultrasn0w unlock and 4.0! Thanks to the various GAF posters who gave some advice that helped me get there. :D

My new phone, yay!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5153670715_d08bf6d76c.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5153671091_136c512fe1.jpg

Nice! Mind sharing your lockscreen background?

mattx5

So I read the OP but am a little confused (never thought of jailbreaking till today!).

My iPod touch (2g) is on software vers 2.2.1 (guess I've been ignoring that update button for a long time!) and Itunes is prompting me to update it to 4.1.

What are my options for jailbreaking?

giga

Update on dev-team.

Update #2: By all accounts, we’re within a few days of Apple’s official public release of Firmware 4.2. Here’s what you need to know:

- Thanks to geohot’s limera1n exploit, and our original pwnage2 exploit, and @pod2g’s ipod2g-MC exploit, absolutely all devices at all iOS firmware versions are capable of being jailbroken.
- The untethered jailbreak of those very latest FWs and latest devices depends on @comex hacks. His hacks so far extend only to 4.1 and 4.2beta3. He’s working on a way to extend it to 4.2 and beyond. Just wait for him to work out his method.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS unlockers will be covered by our upcoming unlock. Stay away from any updates to Apple FW until our official release and you’ll be okay. Just stay away from all Apple IPSWs :)
- iPhone4 unlockers are not left out in the cold. @sherif_hashim has found some very promising avenues to pursue. Those will be explored as soon as possible after all the 4.2 madness.

What does this mean to you?

- If you’re an unlocker, just stay where you are. Please, just stay where you are. Any mistakes you make now may be permanent.
- If you only care about the jailbreak and you’re absolutely sure you have your personalized 4.1 SHSH hashes, feel free to experiment but keep in mind that any mistakes you make may result in your losing pictures or notes or bookmarks that you’d rather keep. Honestly unless you love living on the bleeding edge, it’s better to just wait for official updates from Cydia/redsn0w/PwnageTool.
- Don’t buy or donate to any unlock or jailbreak scammers. Every legitimate solution you will find for unlocks or jailbreaks will be offered without an extended hand. That’s how the iPhone jailbreak/unlock community has succeeded. It’s about freedom to do what you want with your $300 device — not about donations, egos, tweets, or “interviews.”

giga

evil ways said:
So still nothing concrete on a 5.14 baseband unlock?
?

- iPhone 3G and 3GS unlockers will be covered by our upcoming unlock. Stay away from any updates to Apple FW until our official release and you’ll be okay. Just stay away from all Apple IPSWs :)

evil ways

giga said:
?

Oh I assumed they meant those that have upgraded their jailbreaks to 4.1 but kept the baseband on 5.11. I guess we'll see.

giga said:
?

Sweeet! I was reading around the net myself and someone claims to be the release date as this coming Friday *Fingers crossed* :D

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here; maybe someone who is a parent....

So we gave our nieces our old iPhone 3G because their mom got an iPhone 4 and they like playing some of the learning games on there. One is 4, the other is 2. The 2 year old knows that clicking on the icons launches things, but sometimes she doesn't hit it right or holds it down too long so she'll eventually try to hold it down longer which of course will switch it to the move/delete mode. Then she just ends up deleting the app.

Is there a jailbroken app or mod that can add sort of a childproof mode where she won't be able to move/delete apps unless something is toggled in the setings or something like that?

numble

Marty Chinn said:
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here; maybe someone who is a parent....

So we gave our nieces our old iPhone 3G because their mom got an iPhone 4 and they like playing some of the learning games on there. One is 4, the other is 2. The 2 year old knows that clicking on the icons launches things, but sometimes she doesn't hit it right or holds it down too long so she'll eventually try to hold it down longer which of course will switch it to the move/delete mode. Then she just ends up deleting the app.

Is there a jailbroken app or mod that can add sort of a childproof mode where she won't be able to move/delete apps unless something is toggled in the setings or something like that?
iOS 4.2 has a parental control for deleting apps.

equil

So i have a iphone 3gs. Running 4.1
All i want to do is unlock it.
And i dont have wifi.

Any suggestions on what i should use.

It's called typophone4.

Is Cydia down? I keep getting a blank main screen and when I try to download anything I get a "size mismatch" error.

Help?

mug

I recently updated my iPhone 3G to 4.1 and was able to jailbreak it however I neglected to backup those blob things, anyway is there some sort of workaround to unlock the phone again?

mug said:
I recently updated my iPhone 3G to 4.1 and was able to jailbreak it however I neglected to backup those blob things, anyway is there some sort of workaround to unlock the phone again?

Unfortunately, there isn't.The unlock is suppose to come out after Apple releases iOS4.2 which has been delayed a few times already.

mug

bluddtheersty said:
Unfortunately, there isn't.The unlock is suppose to come out after Apple releases iOS4.2 which has been delayed a few times already.
Ok so there is a way, I just have to wait until 4.2 is released? I'm just wondering if there won't be a way to downgrade the baseband in a post 4.1 world.

Oh, i thought you meant if there is a workaround AT THE MOMENT. :D

Well, yeah..you can always wait for io4.2 to be released which will probably be out before the end of this month.The unlock will come out two days after for the current baseband ie 5.14.02 which you're stuck on (myself included).

Articate said:
So jailbraking voids the warranty? Cause that's not worth it to get custom SMS sound
technically, yea.

ways to avoid you're warranty vaproizing should your phone have a hardware malfunction:

1.) reinstall the OS (push the restore button in iTunes

and that's it. pretty simple. jailbreaking over the last 3 years has never prevented me from having phones with hardware malfunctions exchanged. and they become infinitely more valuable. "custom SMS sounds" is not why we jailbreak.

My friend recently got an OG iPhone that is jailbroken but not unlocked on 3.1.3 that he want to use on T-Mobile. What does he have to do to unlock the phone?

rc213

Hellsing321 said:
My friend recently got an OG iPhone that is jailbroken but not unlocked on 3.1.3 that he want to use on T-Mobile. What does he have to do to unlock the phone?

Open Cydia and download Unltrasn0w.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now that 4.2 is officially out on the iPad, how does one jailbreak it? I'm running it on a 3.2 jb.

kottila

Dreams-Visions said:
when you break the phone, you'll find better reasons. you'll find things you can't live without.

Yeah, but it makes updating firmware much harder. I'm still on 3.1.2 because I have so many apps and settings that I don't want to set up again. Have decided to go for 4.2 now as many of the appstore apps require newer firmware. Have still not seen anything from Cydia about the backup-function in Rock that they said they'd bring over.

hyp

Bboy AJ said:
Now that 4.2 is officially out on the iPad, how does one jailbreak it? I'm running it on a 3.2 jb.
same boat as you. I'm assuming the jb should be ready any day now.

Top Bottom