• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

So i restarted my iphone 3g after unlocking it and JB'ing it to 4.2 which resulted in my iPhone being locked once again.Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
bluddtheersty said:
So i restarted my iphone 3g after unlocking it and JB'ing it to 4.2 which resulted in my iPhone being locked once again.Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Yes, you may have installed the wrong version of ultrasnow.

Try going into cydia again and installing ultrasnow again... this happened to me once, and re-installing ultrasn0w worked for me after another reboot.

Double check your baseband version and make sure it's still one that is unlockable.

DrEvil said:
Yes, you may have installed the wrong version of ultrasnow.

Try going into cydia again and installing ultrasnow again... this happened to me once, and re-installing ultrasn0w worked for me after another reboot.

Double check your baseband version and make sure it's still one that is unlockable.

Thanks for the quick reply.I tried re-installing ultrasn0w (ver. 1.2), double checked the baseband but it still shows up "no service" in the left corner.Now i am re-JB'ing it again as we speak.Let's see how far that goes.

Huh, so I have a 3GS running 05.13.04. I actually can't update to 4.2.1 yet, huh? At least not without updating my BB. Since I need it both JB/UL, I have to wait for a newer pwnagetool?

rc213

Bioshocked said:
Anyone here ever replaced a battery? Where's the best place to buy a replacement for a 3GS?

I've changed a battery in a 3GS using the ifixit.com guide. Bought quite a few parts from http://myworld.ebay.com/gadgetfix/ and so far no issues.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Battery/1545/1

Be sure and purchase a tool set with a suction cup, spudger and screwdriver. Those small screws can be easily stripped using the wrong sized screwdriver.

Duane Cunningham said:
Huh, so I have a 3GS running 05.13.04. I actually can't update to 4.2.1 yet, huh? At least not without updating my BB. Since I need it both JB/UL, I have to wait for a newer pwnagetool?

I just updated my friend's iphone 3g that was on 4.1. I just used a 4.1 ipsw and it unlocked. I'd imagine you can do the same witihout updating your iOS.

Oops, I guess I wasn't clear... my phone is jailbroken and unlocked on 4.1 already. I just wanted to update it. I still have the earlier baseband preserved, though (05.13.04), and want to keep it.

th3dude

butter_stick said:
Can I jailbreak 4.2 on iPhone 4 yet?

Looking at the thread it seems not, but basebands and stuff confuse me -_-
My understanding is that you can, but it is tethered (need to be hooked up to your computer to rejailbreak anytime you reboot your phone).

Sooooo... i am having a weird issue here.I jailbroke my iPhone to 4.2 along with unlocking it.Somehow rebooting the phone reverted back the unlock and it was locked once again which made me think that maybe re-JB'ing it might solve the problem.That, however didn't work out as i thought it would.

Long story short, i am currently jailbroken on 4.1 with the 6.15.00 baseband.I tried using ultrasn0w to unlock it, but apparently it's not working.Any helpful suggestions? :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I just can't get this old 3G to jailbreak properly to resell.
Think I'll just sell it as is.

I thought I had it finally, it's on 4.1 with older baseband, but Cydia crashes as soon as I launch it.

Pctx

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
Really no point especially since it's not untethered which is a complete deal breaker for me.

rc213

Yeah this release has been a bit of a clusterfuck. Specially now with the dead gps/overheating/battery drain issues cropping up on people with the 6.x baseband.

HELP!

Umm so my jailbreaked itouch just shut down while i was watching a video yesterday and i cant turn it on since.
i tired holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, but the Apple logo did not appears.

my itunes also cannot detect my itouch.........

Any solutions ?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Pctx

Banned
clay_ghost said:
HELP!

Umm so my jailbreaked itouch just shut down while i was watching a video yesterday and i cant turn it on since.
i tired holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, but the Apple logo did not appears.

my itunes also cannot detect my itouch.........

Any solutions ?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Try what you did plugged in and/or after the iPod is plugged in, just try powering it on.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding if such an app in Cydia exists...

I love my iPhone 4, love it to pieces. Especially with what I can do with it through Cydia. But one thing that bothers me about iOS overall is that with all the apps that you can have on your desktop, I think the beautiful wallpapers that are out there for the phone become sort of obsolete. What I've been doing to display my backgrounds is this:

2aflob4.png

But...is there an app that lets you have NO apps other than your bottom row apps in a particular panel? What I want to do is have the blank page as my home screen, and keep everything else on two or three pages to the right. Do you guys know what I mean? Like, imagine in the picture above, the Google app icon is gone and its just the screen with the main five icons on the bottom.

Any help?

Blackhead

Redarse
DeathbyVolcano said:
Hey guys, I have a question regarding if such an app in Cydia exists...

I love my iPhone 4, love it to pieces. Especially with what I can do with it through Cydia. But one thing that bothers me about iOS overall is that with all the apps that you can have on your desktop, I think the beautiful wallpapers that are out there for the phone become sort of obsolete. What I've been doing to display my backgrounds is this:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2aflob4.png[IMG]

But...is there an app that lets you have NO apps other than your bottom row apps in a particular panel? What I want to do is have the blank page as my home screen, and keep everything else on two or three pages to the right. Do you guys know what I mean? Like, imagine in the picture above, the Google app icon is gone and its just the screen with the main five icons on the bottom.

Any help?[/QUOTE]
There is a jailbreak app to create invisible icons, iBlank

there is also an app that allows you to control the locations of the icons on a page. so you could have one app in each corner or in whatever configuration on the grid you want. can't remember what it's called, but it's in Cydia.

okno

Would you be able to use InfiniFolders and just throw everything into one folder and then place that in the dock? Pretty sure I´ve seen people do that before and it´s something that I´m going to try out myself.

Pctx said:
Try what you did plugged in and/or after the iPod is plugged in, just try powering it on.

Thanks but it doesn't help :(

Cant go into recovery or DFU mode either( noting apper on the itouch ...... not even the apple logo)
:(

timnich

Does anyone know of a theme or app in cydia that lets you set a clear lockscreen(ie no frame around the time or the "swipe to unlock") for iOS 4.0+? I can't seem to find one that works for my iPhone 4. Thanks!

th3dude

Debating jailbreaking my 4.2 iPhone 4, even though it's tethered. I don't reboot very often and I'm around my laptop enough that it wouldn't be a huge hassle. Trying to decide if JB is worth it... I always go back and forth on this...

Blackhead

Redarse
timnich said:
Does anyone know of a theme or app in cydia that lets you set a clear lockscreen(ie no frame around the time or the "swipe to unlock") for iOS 4.0+? I can't seem to find one that works for my iPhone 4. Thanks!
What does that mean? That you found a few such themes and they didn't work? Or you didn't find any at all? Search the macthemes forums. If you're familiar with the iPhone filesystem and/or winterboard it's much easier to get the right images, make them transparent in photoshop, and then swap them yourself. That's all the clear lockscreen themes do really.

sn1pes said:
Debating jailbreaking my 4.2 iPhone 4, even though it's tethered. I don't reboot very often and I'm around my laptop enough that it wouldn't be a huge hassle. Trying to decide if JB is worth it... I always go back and forth on this...
guess it depends on whether there are some features you really want access to. as long as you have your SHSH's, you can downgrade later. I've not upgraded yet, as I'm pretty happy with my phone's performance right now.

rc213

Easiest way to tell if it's dead is to turn up your speakers and plug it in. If it's running you should hear connect/disconnect chimes from Windows.

So happy, iPhone 3GS is now firmware 4.2.1 & Baseband 05.13.04 Unlocked for T-Mobile. So happy. :D

timnich

Charred Greyface said:
What does that mean? That you found a few such themes and they didn't work? Or you didn't find any at all? Search the macthemes forums. If you're familiar with the iPhone filesystem and/or winterboard it's much easier to get the right images, make them transparent in photoshop, and then swap them yourself. That's all the clear lockscreen themes do really.
I mean that I found a few on cydia, but they either don't work on iPhone 4 or on iOS 4. Not sure which. Thanks for the responses guys, I'll try them out.

ShowDog

I'm running a JB iphone 4 on iOS4.0. I'm sick of 4.0 and want 4.2, jailbreak or not. I've never removed a jailbreak before, how do I go about updating to 4.2 without mucking anything up? Do I just let iTunes do its thing and update the phone? Don't wanna brick anything.

rc213 said:
Easiest way to tell if it's dead is to turn up your speakers and plug it in. If it's running you should hear connect/disconnect chimes from Windows.

So happy, iPhone 3GS is now firmware 4.2.1 & Baseband 05.13.04 Unlocked for T-Mobile. So happy. :D
Whatd you use to unlock jb? Is it untethered?

rc213

bdizzle said:
Whatd you use to unlock jb? Is it untethered?
It was on 4.0.1/05.13.04 before I used a pwnage tool created custom 4.2.1 that preserves baseband. Then jailbreak with redsn0w and install 1.2 like normal.

This is a old bootrom (IBOOT-359.3) iPhone 3GS so it's was possible to go untethered.

whitehawk

Banned
aku:jiki said:
After being stuck on a blackra1n tethered jailbreak with 3.1.2 for the longest time, I'm finally updated with an untethered limera1n, ultrasn0w unlock and 4.0! Thanks to the various GAF posters who gave some advice that helped me get there. :D

My new phone, yay!

5153670715_d08bf6d76c.jpg
5153671091_136c512fe1.jpg

So what did I miss on the Cydia front while I was out? I haven't seen any neat new apps in like 6 months... I'm gonna browse the thread in the coming weeks and see what's been posted, but what are the must-haves?
Can you share that wallpaper with us?

rc213 said:
It was on 4.0.1/05.13.04 before I used a pwnage tool created custom 4.2.1 that preserves baseband. Then jailbreak with redsn0w and install 1.2 like normal.

This is a old bootrom (IBOOT-359.3) iPhone 3GS so it's was possible to go untethered.

Right now I'm running a jb/unlocked 4.1 with 4.28.08 baseband and the old bootrom. So all I'd have to do is use pwnage tool, then unlock with ultrasn0w? The updates on the dev-team's blog is so fuckin convoluted right now.

rc213

bdizzle said:
Right now I'm running a jb/unlocked 4.1 with 4.28.08 baseband and the old bootrom. So all I'd have to do is use pwnage tool, then unlock with ultrasn0w? The updates on the dev-team's blog is so fuckin convoluted right now.

Yeah, I don't have a mac so I grabbed one that someone uploaded. It was made on the latest pwnage tool with the update package dropped in for preserving the baseband. Then you just put the iPhone in a pwnd dfu and shift+restore. Then use redsn0w to jailbreak and then install ultrasn0w.

:lol I actually was stuck with a iPhone on a black screen for like an hour because I had no idea it needed pwnd dfu to restore to the custom firmware.

Be sure you have old bootrom.

rc213 said:
Yeah, I don't have a mac so I grabbed one that someone uploaded. It was made on the latest pwnage tool with the update package dropped in for preserving the baseband. Then you just put the iPhone in a pwnd dfu and shift+restore. Then use redsn0w to jailbreak and then install ultrasn0w.

:lol I actually was stuck with a iPhone on a black screen for like an hour because I had no idea it needed pwnd dfu to restore to the custom firmware.

Be sure you have old bootrom.

You have a link to the custom ipsw? My mac is out of commission right now so I can't use pwnage tool.

EDIT: I just double checked, I'm on 359.3, that's the old one.

ShowDog

I'm running a JB iphone 4 on iOS4.0. I'm sick of 4.0 and want 4.2, jailbreak or not. I've never removed a jailbreak before, how do I go about updating to 4.2 without mucking anything up? Do I just let iTunes do its thing and update the phone? Don't wanna brick anything.

rc213

bdizzle said:
You have a link to the custom ipsw? My mac is out of commission right now so I can't use pwnage tool.

EDIT: I just double checked, I'm on 359.3, that's the old one.

Ok I will msg you the info. Also you will need a AT&T sim to get past the activate screen/emergency screen.

I wonder if they will try and integrate the SAM Module to make it transparent.

Top Bottom