• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Well, according to the tweets sent out by musclenerd and all the other devs pre-4.2 was that the JB and unlock will come out exactly two days after the release of 4.2 which means we should be getting it in a few days or so.

They have also warned people this time around not to update their Iphones to 4.2 before the unlock comes out.:D

Can't remember where on GAF I read it, but it appears you can allocate virtual RAM to your iPad with a jailbreak somehow. My question is: if true, how do I do eeet?!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
FoxhoundNL said:
Can't remember where on GAF I read it, but it appears you can allocate virtual RAM to your iPad with a jailbreak somehow. My question is: if true, how do I do eeet?!
I've done it. And I'm actually posting from it now. It works well but not perfect. Things freeze and crash. I'm going to undo it.

I've been using it for months and months. I forget if the iPad normally froze and crashed or it's because of the vm hack. At least try it out. I don't have a link handy but just wanted to share my experience.

Erebus

I think it's time to update my 3G, as more and more apps require newer iOS versions than the 3.1.2 that I'm currently on. Any advice, GAF? What's the latest j/b firmware for 3G?

Pctx

Banned
No un-teathered JB for 4.2.1 plus no working Ultrasn0w is sort of maddening. I hope they (the dev team) release a decent option before Christmas. :/

red shoe paul said:

There'll probably be unlocked 4.2 for it within the next couple of days, though. Since all the 4's have made the 3G shit itself so far, it may be worth waiting to see if 4.2 is any better. Going above 3.1.2 on a 3G so far is a life changing experience, and not for the better.

dream

DarkUSS said:
I think it's time to update my 3G, as more and more apps require newer iOS versions than the 3.1.2 that I'm currently on. Any advice, GAF? What's the latest j/b firmware for 3G?

You can jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w. It's untethered on the 3G.

dream said:
You can jailbreak 4.2.1 with redsn0w. It's untethered on the 3G.

Did they finally fix the performance problems with 4.2.1 on the 3G? I've been telling my inlaw not to update yet because of the performance problems.

dream

Marty Chinn said:
Did they finally fix the performance problems with 4.2.1 on the 3G? I've been telling my inlaw not to update yet because of the performance problems.

I read somewhere (it might have been Ars) that 4.2 GM showed a marked improvement over 4.1 (which was supposed to be the performance panacea).

Looking to get my first iPhone, was gonna get a cheap ass 2G just to see what all the fuss was about but decided maybe just going 3G is the better option.

What software version on the phone should I be looking for? I want it jailbroken to run the cool stuffs.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Like many others, today I updated MobileSubstrate, rebooted, and got stuck on the apple logo screen. Being the impatient man I am, I couldn't wait for the solution of that simple problem to start appearing in google's queries, so I went ahead and restored/updated:

3Gs - old bootrom - factory unocked - running 4.0 - early 4.0 iHatesn0w custom FM JB => fresh install 4.2.1 - JB w/redsn0w 0.9.6b4.

Everything went so smooth, until I checked cydia>manage>storage and found out that my "system" partition has only 10% free space! (out of the 740MB)

As soon as I started installing my cydia apps the dreaded "low memory" message started appearing :(

I've searched and so far haven't run into an elegant solution. Some mentioned this problem relating to limera1n's exploit with the new redsn0w employ, but without a solution. So far today, I've restored the phone 5 times hoping that it was a mistake I made during the process, but it's not.

So, yeah, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conrad Link said:
Looking to get my first iPhone, was gonna get a cheap ass 2G just to see what all the fuss was about but decided maybe just going 3G is the better option.

What software version on the phone should I be looking for? I want it jailbroken to run the cool stuffs.

Honestly, just jump straight to the iPhone 4. Not worth it getting a 3G while on iOS4.

giga

trkyq

caramac

A guy at work just offered me a 3gs for a great price. l would probably want to unlock it which means jailbreaking right?. So once its jailbroken and unlocked can you restore it and it remains unlocked or do you have to keep it jailbroken. Thing is l'm not to fussed about having a jailbroken phone. l just want it unlocked.

timnich

CaramaC said:
A guy at work just offered me a 3gs for a great price. l would probably want to unlock it which means jailbreaking right?. So once its jailbroken and unlocked can you restore it and it remains unlocked or do you have to keep it jailbroken. Thing is l'm not to fussed about having a jailbroken phone. l just want it unlocked.
It needs to be jailbroken to be unlocked. Everytime you restore the phone you will have to rejailbreak to unlock the phone. Also be sure not to update the phone past 4.0., which is the most recent firmware that can still be jailbroken. At least until Sunday apparently.

So, my 3GS broke a few weeks ago and I had to go back to using my 3G. I've spent about the last hour trying to get Gamecenter to work and so far, nothing. I used the Woowiz repo to install Gamecenter, but when Gamecenter boots it won't get past a black screen. Help?

rc213 said:
Is that new? Ultrasn0w works fine on my old iPhone 2G 3.1.3.
I used Ultrasn0w on the 2G but when the SIM card is plugged in it says to connect the phone to iTunes. The signal bars at the top say T-Mobile but when I connect it to iTunes it says the SIM card isn't supported.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hellsing321 said:
I used Ultrasn0w on the 2G but when the SIM card is plugged in it says to connect the phone to iTunes. The signal bars at the top say T-Mobile but when I connect it to iTunes it says the SIM card isn't supported.
It amazes me that AT&T and Apple can get away with keeping a phone locked that hasn't been available at retail for over 2 years and is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Any contracts signed are long over. Ridiculous.

rc213

Hellsing321 said:

How did you jailbreak it?

I have used this guide since I picked up the phone and it has never failed me.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

Musclenerd answered my tweet last night, Looks like new-bootrom 3GS owner will be able to unlock with ultrasn0w @ 4.1 Baseband 05.14.02. At least until they get new-bootrom 3GS untethered on 4.2.1. So happy I will finally be able to my 3GS soon.

giga

Charred Greyface said:
It amazes me that AT&T and Apple can get away with keeping a phone locked that hasn't been available at retail for over 2 years and is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Any contracts signed are long over. Ridiculous.
Eh?

wm-itunes-unlock-11172009-1258507378.png

giga

Charred Greyface said:
really? You're sure that was an AT&T iPhone? Honest question.
Not sure. They really wouldn’t offer one after the contract, even if you told them you were just going overseas? That seems ludicrous.

rc213 said:
How did you jailbreak it?

I have used this guide since I picked up the phone and it has never failed me.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436

Musclenerd answered my tweet last night, Looks like new-bootrom 3GS owner will be able to unlock with ultrasn0w @ 4.1 Baseband 05.14.02. At least until they get new-bootrom 3GS untethered on 4.2.1. So happy I will finally be able to my 3GS soon.
I used Jailbreakme.com.

rc213

Wow, That is some wild shit the Dev Team came up with. As soon as redsn0w update is out I will try it on my new-bootrom iPhone 3GS.

It seems to lock out future updates though.

I don't have a problem with that. My crappy 3G isn't getting any of the new features anyway lol

giga

Backfoggen said:
Let me break this down. Correct me if I’m wrong.

ultrasn0w can unlock the following basebands:

iPhone 4: 01.59.00
3G/3GS: 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00

If you’re on 05.14.02 or 05.15.04 (3G/3GS), you’ll need to use 06.15.00 (the iPad baseband) to get unlocked. This has some serious implications as stated on the blog, but it’s the only way for now.

If you’re on 02.10.04 or 03.10.01 (iPhone 4), you can’t unlock yet.

—————

I’m still confused if people with the older, unlockable basebands can preserve them when updating to 4.2.1. I know that only the 3G and old bootrom 3GS are untethered for 4.2.1, but if they use the upcoming PwnageTool or redsn0w, it’ll keep your old baseband right?

intji

For some reason or the other, i am unable to add the ultrasn0w repo.Whenever i try adding it, it gives me an error saying "Cannot find repository".I have tried it several times only to get the same error again and again.

Please help. :C

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
giga said:
Is rubx permabanned? OP needs serious updating.

He's not permabanned, but he's banned for a comically long time at his own request. Which is frustrating, since he took it upon himself to make this thread and be the steward of jailbreaking info like a week before he asked to be banned for a very long time. *shakes head*

Karram

So I yesterday I bought an iPad running on 3.2.2 and I would like to know if there is anyway I can update it to a custom 4.2.1 ?

Pctx

Banned
Honestly I think the Dev team should just not release the crap until it works across all platforms. This just confuses and frustrates people to no end.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Stumpokapow said:
He's not permabanned, but he's banned for a comically long time at his own request. Which is frustrating, since he took it upon himself to make this thread and be the steward of jailbreaking info like a week before he asked to be banned for a very long time. *shakes head*
Why did he ask to be banned? If you can tell us?

And I'm so confused with all of this since I stopped keeping up, can I jailbreak my 3GS untethered yet or not?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So, I've got an iPhone 3G running 4.1 unlocked on 05.13.04.. if I wanted to move up to 4.2.1 and keep my unlock, pwnage tool should be all I need, right?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Stumpokapow said:
We don't disclose that kind of thing although he is free to when he returns.
i'm hoping it's not one too many Steve Jobs Defense Force jokes (observations).

Top Bottom