• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

What's OTA?

Over the air. Directly on your iOS device, rather than downloading the update .ipsw on your computer.

Over the air.

I did, and it's fine.

It's much better to do it on the computer. In the event something goes wrong or if there are errors in your current iOS install, an OTA update won't resolve them and can cause issues later on.

Also, you can address jailbreak problems faster since you have the OS update available at any time. As one who's been jailbreaking since 2007, I strongly recommend people download the ipsw on their computer and go from there.

Kunohara

Over the air. Directly on your iOS device, rather than downloading the update .ipsw on your computer.

It's much better to do it on the computer. In the event something goes wrong or if there are errors in your current iOS install, an OTA update won't resolve them and can cause issues later on.

Also, you can address jailbreak problems faster since you have the OS update available at any time. As one who's been jailbreaking since 2007, I strongly recommend people download the ipsw on their computer and go from there.

Just curious, I did OTA for 6.1, How would I go about doing this?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks. Not much I want from there but I'll be trying some. Once I can.

Or is there a way to acquire and install these (the free ones) outside Cydia?
There is a way you can SSH package files you download say, straight off of modmyi's site to your phone to your computer. But you still need Cydia. The way it works is you put the files into a specific folder, and then the next time you open Cydia, it installs whatever is in that folder on startup.

I'd give more details but I'm in class ATM.

Ashhong

Wait that's the only issue? That's no big deal..thought it was something serious like in the way the update is applied to the phone. Jailbreaking now then!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just realised that I can't do this on my work computer because it won't let me run the program as an administrator. Probably should have checked before upgrading, haha.

Wait that's the only issue? That's no big deal..thought it was something serious like in the way the update is applied to the phone. Jailbreaking now then!

That's the only issue. If you don't have the 6.1 ipsw available, it can be very hard to fix problems (like reboot cycles). Actually, they're impossible to fix until you download the actual ipsw. And again, DFU restoring is always best for jailbreaking because it resolves any potential errors in your current install. It's practically a necessity for anyone that's using a phone that has been or is currently jailbroken.

Problems seem to be minimal, but people here have had problems.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Cydia's servers seem a bit better now. I've been able to search and install a few things. It hangs a little bit when installing, but once it picks up, it's been fine.

Edit: And right after I submit my post, I can't seem to install anything. Never mind.

Pachimari

Cydia's servers seem a bit better now. I've been able to search and install a few things. It hangs a little bit when installing, but once it picks up, it's been fine.

Edit: And right after I submit my post, I can't seem to install anything. Never mind.
What were you able to install? I'm trying to find other tweaks that will install besides BiteSMS and Five Icon Dock.

DarkFlow

Banned

it sounds like no big deal, but you want that SHSH blob from the itunes update. If your jailbreak messes up your phone after apple has stopped signing 6.1, your SOL with your jailbreak now since you did a OTA update.

Quick

Banned
Got NCSettings installed. Thanks for that recommendation, Anastacio (and the description, orangecaramel). I might bite on Auxo, but I'll give this jailbreak some time before I decide to pay for jailbreak stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cydia is better, but still going in and out. Only thing I've been able to download completely is a 500kb ToggleSSH :/

Are adding repos working for anyone?

mooooose

Ugh, I want to jailbreak for f.lux, xmbc, and biteSMS but I just don't know if it's worth the game of cat and mouse and much longer wait times between jailbreaks.

Ljwinter

Banned
Plan on jailbreaking my iP5 when I get home from work. Question, is there a way to clear out or go through the stuff categorized in iTunes as "other"?

TheContact

Well my phone works again, I don't know if it was something wrong with my work PC but I went home with my DFU'd iphone, put it into iTunes, downloaded the update, and it's updating now. Phew. But I lost everything when I had to restore. Luckily I backed up to iCloud, but I don't know if that saves my notes...

Either way, thanks for your help

DarkFlow

Banned
Wonder what kind of servers Cydia is running. You would think they would look into someone like amazon for days like this that can rapidly grow if needed.

pacman85

anyone using pdanet with the newest jailbreak?
This. The biggest use I will get out of jail breaking is the possibility of being able to tether for free on AT&T's network on my unlimited data plan. It appears the best (and only?) options are MyWi, TetherMe or PDANet but after doing some research it appears there are mixed reviews on all 3. Obviously, I would hate to get caught by AT&T and put on one of their tiered data plans with the extra $20 added on for tethering fee as that appears what they do after warning you first. I don't think I would use that much data all the time. It would only be when I am on trips and in places without Wi-Fi which is pretty rare now days.

Top Bottom