• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just did it on my iPhone 5 6.1. Painless for me too! :)

Oh my god I'm so excited, I've missed being jailbroken for far too long.

I've been jailbreaking my devices since I got a 2nd gen iPod touch. This is by far the easiest jailbreaking process.
I'd say limera1n was a bit easier, almost deceptively so :p

pacman85

I have a iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1 that I always backup with iCloud. I think I have connected to my personal MacBook Pro laptop one time but I mainly backup with iCloud. Is it okay for me to jailbreak using a DIFFERENT PC with Windows on it than the one I have connected to in the past and associated with that specific copy of iTunes? I figured its okay since it appears the jailbreak process never uses iTunes but I wanted to be sure.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
I have a iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1 that I always backup with iCloud. I think I have connected to my personal MacBook Pro laptop one time but I mainly backup with iCloud. Is it okay for me to jailbreak using a DIFFERENT PC with Windows on it than the one I have connected to in the past and associated with that specific copy of iTunes? I figured its okay since it appears the jailbreak process never uses iTunes but I wanted to be sure.
I'm at work on a different computer and it worked just fine.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How do I transfer purchases to PC with this new iTunes, I haven't figured that out since the update.

It no longer does it automatically and I don't see a place to right click -> transfer purchases like before.

Edit: nm found it finally... What a stupid place to put such an important function.

Red

Trying to download f.lux but keep getting "hash sum mismatch" during installation. No idea how to fix this.

Pachimari

I have written these on my to-get list while waiting for the Cydia server stress to calm down:

- Auxo
- BiteSMS
- BiteSMS Black Retina
- NowNow
- FolderEnhancer
- FolderCloser
- Zephyr
- Quick Reply for Viber
- Activator
- Infinidock
- GPower Pro
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- NCSettings
- Shrink
- f.lux

Enzom21

I have written these on my to-get list while waiting for the Cydia server stress to calm down:

- Auxo
- BiteSMS
- BiteSMS Black Retina
- NowNow
- FolderEnhancer
- FolderCloser
- Zephyr
- Quick Reply for Viber
- Activator
- Infinidock
- GPower Pro
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- NCSettings
- Shrink
- f.lux
Snowcover4 if you want lockscreen touch controls for your music.
Nitrous to allow third party apps to access Nitro Javascript Engine

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol it took me 10 minutes to add a repo.

Here's my (super old) tentative list of basic stuff to add for other people that are curious:
SBSettings
Winterboard
Activator
Lockscreen Clock Hide
Infinidock
GridTab
Slide to unlock killer (wtf; not sure about this one)
ToggleSSH
OpenSSH

pacman85

"you must run this app as an administrator"

thanks, Windows 8!
Mine is saying this too but when I right-click and choose Run As Administrator it comes with the same error message again. I am on Windows 7 though. It must the way this stupid work computer is set-up. Lame! Anyone else having this problem?

Pachimari

My list so far, thanks for the suggestions guys:

- Auxo
- BiteSMS
- BiteSMS Black Retina
- NowNow
- FolderEnhancer
- FolderCloser
- Zephyr
- Quick Reply for Viber
- Activator
- Infinidock
- GPower Pro
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- NCSettings
- f.lux
- Shrink
- iFile
- Barrell
- Nitrous
- Safari / Chrome Download Manager
- Bridge
- SwipeSelection
- NowListening
- iCleaner
- Camera Tweak
- NCSettings
- Springtomize 2
- Webscrollian

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How about a parenthesis with what each does :)

Trying to dl blutrol (map touch points on physical controller like iCade) now.

I'm trying to make sure all my ducks are in a row before upgrading. When I go into Cydia now to look at my Account-nothing comes up. It's a blank page. I just want to make sure I remember when login I used for all my Cydia stuff.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So, I ran the Windows evasion jailbreak application, and it was fine, and notified me that everything was done, and that I could expect my iPad to reboot a few times while it wrapped up.

My iPad has been on "Patching kernel" for about 5 minutes now. Anyone else took that long?

Kunohara

Ok so this will be my first jailbreak. I looked at the guide (seems really easy now), and it was saying about backing up the phone. I usually always do the iCloud backup. What I'm wondering is, when it backs up on iCloud, does it keep tabs on what apps I have, or would I have to download the apps I have onto iTunes? Lets say I have to restore the phone from iCloud, would it remember my apps and put them on the phone?

Another question, when I do jailbreak, will I have to restore from the backup after it is done to get my apps back, or does it keep the phone the way it is, only jailbroken?

Thanks.

123rl

So, I ran the Windows evasion jailbreak application, and it was fine, and notified me that everything was done, and that I could expect my iPad to reboot a few times while it wrapped up.

My iPad has been on "Patching kernel" for about 5 minutes now. Anyone else took that long?

Mine did and I restarted the phone and it booted back up. After about a minute or so the phone reset again on its own (I guess to finish it off) and it's fine

Paradicia

To continue please unlock your device and tap the new 'Jailbreak' icon. Only tap it once! The screen will go black and then return to the home screen.

okay-meme.jpg

Still greyed out.

Edit: I see where I went wrong. I didn't see the icon on the homescreen.

andycapps

This is probably a dumb question, but I'll be jailbreaking for the first time later. Does BiteSMS and the others use iMessage or does it only work with SMS?

My list so far, thanks for the suggestions guys:

- Auxo
- BiteSMS
- BiteSMS Black Retina
- NowNow
- FolderEnhancer
- FolderCloser
- Zephyr
- Quick Reply for Viber
- Activator
- Infinidock
- GPower Pro
- NoNewsIsGoodNews
- NCSettings
- f.lux
- Shrink
- iFile
- Barrell
- Nitrous
- Safari / Chrome Download Manager
- Bridge
- SwipeSelection
- NowListening
- iCleaner
- Camera Tweak
- NCSettings
- Springtomize 2
- Webscrollian

SBSettings has been updated for iOS6 support. Also, MyWi for tethering.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Mine did and I restarted the phone and it booted back up. After about a minute or so the phone reset again on its own (I guess to finish it off) and it's fine

Yeah, it hit 10 minutes and I was just about to hard reset it, and it just reset on it's own, and it's fine, and Cydia is up. Excellent. Thanks!

Dunk#7

I'd say limera1n was a bit easier, almost deceptively so :p

I would have to say that JailbreakMe was the easiest. You couls just use the iPhone web browser. No computer necessary. This enabled people to jailbreak the units that were in AT&T and Apple stores as demo equipment.

Zeth

Downloading 6.1 OTA now, then I'll try to jailbreak later. Hope the stress cools down, but I'm sure it will be crazy for at least 48 hours.

123rl

I literally can't download anything. Am I doing something stupid here? Do I need to download something before I can download most of the apps that people are listing?

Zeth

Thanks for all the tweak suggestions, will definitely reference them later. It's been a few iPhones since I last had a jailbreak. Will probably use it on the phone, keep the iPads stock.

Top Bottom