• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Yeah, Eclipse is really weird, it takes a really long time to learn, but once you figure it out its REALLY simple, and everything is laid out for you, makes sense, and is simple to follow, its extremely smart. The actual board game is amazing for this, because there is just little icons everywhere that mean nothing at first, but once you figure it out it an awesome quick reference so you pretty much never need to look at the rules.

On to other things!!!

- We still need to decide what you guys want to do now that Lost Cities is done! did we want to do team Carc? or Ascension? Summoner Wars? We've had a few things thrown out there, but nothing decided on yet.

- I think we have gotten all the people we will get for the Nightfall and NH tournaments, but I will leave signups open at least till monday night.

- Eclipse is awesome. Carry on.

NeoGAF Nightfall Tournament 1

- Base game only, No Martial Law, and no Promo Cards.
- Draft
- Show Wounds
- Single Match

Signups

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Mercviper | Mercviper
superrobot | Diesel Pioneer
blahness | blahness
Squirrel Killer | squirrel_killer
Eznark | Eznark
Heel | [SLADE]
Smiley90 | Smiley 1790

Neuroshima Hex Tournament

Signups

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Eznark | Eznark - The World Champion Grand Master Champion of the World
Mercviper | Mercviper
AstroLad | AstroLad
Flynn | Triphibian
blahness | blahness

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, Eclipse is really weird, it takes a really long time to learn, but once you figure it out its REALLY simple, and everything is laid out for you, makes sense, and is simple to follow, its extremely smart. The actual board game is amazing for this, because there is just little icons everywhere that mean nothing at first, but once you figure it out it an awesome quick reference so you pretty much never need to look at the rules.

On to other things!!!

- We still need to decide what you guys want to do now that Lost Cities is done! did we want to do team Carc? or Ascension? Summoner Wars? We've had a few things thrown out there, but nothing decided on yet.

- I think we have gotten all the people we will get for the Nightfall and NH tournaments, but I will leave signups open at least till monday night. It would be really nice to get ONE more person for Nightfall, just so we can have balanced brackets.

- Eclipse is awesome. Carry on.

- Draft
- Show Wounds
- Single Match

Signups

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Mercviper | Mercviper
superrobot | Diesel Pioneer
blahness | blahness
Eznark | Eznark
Heel | [SLADE]

Also, lets get some more signups for the Neuroshima Hex Tournament

Signups

RaySpencer | RaySpencer
Slacker | Slacker
Smiley90 | Smiley1790
AirBrian | AirBrian
Eznark | Eznark - The World Champion Grand Master Champion of the World
Mercviper | Mercviper
AstroLad | AstroLad
Flynn | Triphibian
blahness | blahness

Hu, I thought I'd sign up for Nightfall, too? Anyway, add me to that.

Hu, I thought I'd sign up for Nightfall, too? Anyway, add me to that.

Hmmm, weird! Sorry Smiley! Added you back!

Edit: I checked! I didnt see when you signed up, but I added you anyway! You must have 'signed up' before it was an official thing, I cant keep track of those things :p

mercviper

Ive decided that I can't keep up with multiple enemy strategies in eclipse. I can barely keep track of what I'm thinking of trying to do with my own varied races.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ive decided that I can't keep up with multiple enemy strategies in eclipse. I can barely keep track of what I'm thinking of trying to do with my own varied races.

I barely pay attention to what others are doing other than just checking out the general geography. ;p One nice tip for that is zoom out and then put two fingers on the screen you get a nice heatmap.

Yeah, its pretty difficult sometimes. Your best bet is just take a quick look at everyones tech trees and see if they can reach you, and if they do, will they win. haha.

Ive won games of Eclipse walling myself off with good explore tiles, and then just getting lots of tech and more systems. So dont think you have to just fight everybody all the time.

Its one thing I noticed with the Planta though (it would apply to any race, its just more for Planta) is that you can only seem to go hexes out into deep space, I dont know if thats a limitation of the iOS game, or an actual rule I missed out on, haha. but the point is, it sucks and fucked me over in one of our games :p

mercviper

I barely pay attention to what others are doing other than just checking out the general geography. ;p One nice tip for that is zoom out and then put two fingers on the screen you get a nice heatmap.

Yeah, its pretty difficult sometimes. Your best bet is just take a quick look at everyones tech trees and see if they can reach you, and if they do, will they win. haha.

Ive won games of Eclipse walling myself off with good explore tiles, and then just getting lots of tech and more systems. So dont think you have to just fight everybody all the time.

Its one thing I noticed with the Planta though (it would apply to any race, its just more for Planta) is that you can only seem to go hexes out into deep space, I dont know if thats a limitation of the iOS game, or an actual rule I missed out on, haha. but the point is, it sucks and fucked me over in one of our games :p

Yeah I pretty much do the above to gain a quick assessment of what's dangerous and who's in the lead. That initial bug you ran into, ray, where you couldn't continue the game after wiping out the computer? I think its cause is because they didn't plan for a complete game over scenario for any of the players, human or ai. I just got wiped out by the CPU and its trying to make me reduce production below the minimum of 2 when really it should be making me scoop. That or it bugged and made me lose more pop than I should've lost. Actually, yeah it has to be the latter. The way the cubes are set up you shouldn't ever drop below minimum, and its having me replace 4 blank/misc planet populations twice when I had at most 3. Pretty game changing bug. Could have to do with losing 2 sectors simultaneously with blank/misc planets.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah boyeeee!
-----
Dear Eclipse fans, we've just increased the maximum concurrent game count to 10, so you can now take part in 10 games at the same time!

Yeah I pretty much do the above to gain a quick assessment of what's dangerous and who's in the lead. That initial bug you ran into, ray, where you couldn't continue the game after wiping out the computer? I think its cause is because they didn't plan for a complete game over scenario for any of the players, human or ai. I just got wiped out by the CPU and its trying to make me reduce production below the minimum of 2 when really it should be making me scoop. That or it bugged and made me lose more pop than I should've lost. Actually, yeah it has to be the latter. The way the cubes are set up you shouldn't ever drop below minimum, and its having me replace 4 blank/misc planet populations twice when I had at most 3. Pretty game changing bug. Could have to do with losing 2 sectors simultaneously with blank/misc planets.

Hmmmmm. Weird.

You should send that info to the devs and maybe they can fix it, that seems like a pretty big oversight, haha.

Heel

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/19234/app-news-las-vegas-coming-this-week-survive-update

Las Vegas Rolling In Thursday
Ravensburger Spieleverlag GmbH has notified us that their port of Rüdiger Dorn's dice game, Las Vegas, will be hitting the App Store this Thursday, May 9. Usually, this means that the game will hit the US App Store late Wednesday night. Las Vegas will be for iOS Universal and looks incredibly polished.

Big Daddy's Creations Shooting Down Wings of Glory
Pockettactics posted that Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy and Neuroshima Hex! developer, Big Daddy's Creations, has decided to not develop the WW1 aerial combat game, Wings of Glory / Wings of War for iOS as we reported over a year ago. On the bright side, Łukasz Łazarecki (we all know him as b005t3r), did say that this will give them more time to work on Eclipse and Neuroshima Hex expansions.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gg Astro.

Did not expect you to blitz the center as soon as you did - you almost lost that fight, but when you squeaked by that pretty much sealed it after my cruiser blitz didn't hold up to your starbase spam. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gg Astro.

Did not expect you to blitz the center as soon as you did - you almost lost that fight, but when you squeaked by that pretty much sealed it after my cruiser blitz didn't hold up to your starbase spam. ;)
yah girded up just in time. i can't believe you betrayed me like that!

NB: This is a two-player game of Eclipse.

Edit: First completed online game -- whoo!

Ok, I lied! I didnt set it up last night, I set it up today.

Link

- Seeds were shuffled.
- Draft
- Show Wounds
- Single Match

neogafboardgames-NeoGAFNightfallTournament1.png

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

Figuring out the Random armies part, I will get back to you later today :p

Edit: Seriously, how should we do this, haha. http://www.random.org/lists/

also, we have to determine how many rounds this will go, the default is 4 rounds, I might just leave it at that.

Heel

lol yeah I remember the tutorial not clicking with me the last time I tried going through it. Is there a guide online somewhere that makes more sense?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Out of town and the wi-fi at my hotel really sucks. Hate when that happens. Let it be known though that I took some Eclipse turns on the plane and will take more as soon as I get within shouting distance of a decent access point.

Slacker

Haha :p

Edit: So does anyone have a good way we can make the Random armies work in the NH tourney? Im really at a loss.

Two ways I can think of:

Random number generator. Assign numbers to the factions:

1. Borgo
2. Moloch
3. Outpost
4. Hegemony
5. Neojungle
6. New York
7. Smart
8. Vegas
9. Steel Police

Use a site like random.org to pick a number between 1 and 9. If you get the same one on the second throw just try again.

Method two: Launch a "quick start" game against the computer. It'll pick both teams for you. Assign those teams to the players.

Two ways I can think of:

Random number generator. Assign numbers to the factions:

1. Borgo
2. Moloch
3. Outpost
4. Hegemony
5. Neojungle
6. New York
7. Smart
8. Vegas
9. Steel Police

Use a site like random.org to pick a number between 1 and 9. If you get the same one on the second throw just try again.

Method two: Launch a "quick start" game against the computer. It'll pick both teams for you. Assign those teams to the players.

Yeah, I guess the biggest thing I'm looking for is a way to make it seem like I just picked all the match ups. Haha.

Edit: Ok, I think Ive got a plan. I will make 20 sets of random matchups (5 matches per round, 4 rounds), then I will randomize what matchup goes into each round. haha.

matchups:
8v4
4v7
1v8
9v8
6v4

1v4
2v1
8v4
7v3
5v3

3v5
8v7
8v3
3v6
8v5

3v7
1v2
6v2
8v6
5v1

4v3
3v5
9v7
2v5
5v1

edit2: HAHAHA...wasnt counting, 5 round of 5 matches then, haha. What an idiot :p

edit3: Matchups

A 8v4
B 3v5
C 3v6
D 3v7
E 5v3
F 4v3
G 1v8
H 5v1
I 9v8
J 7v3
K 2v1
L 8v5
M 5v1
N 4v7
O 1v4
P 6v2
Q 1v2
R 8v3
S 3v5
T 6v4
U 8v7
V 8v4
W 9v7
X 2v5
Y 8v6

I will pretty it up in a second.

NeoGAF Neuroshima Hex Tournament 2

Link

- Seeding based off of NH Finals 1 then Tournament 1 and then signup order
- Swiss rules!
- There will probably still be a finals tourney for the top 4
- Random armies generated with http://www.random.org/lists/

HERE ARE YOUR ARMY MATCHUPS

A - Vegas vs Hegemony
B - Outpost vs NeoJungle
C - Outpost vs NewYork
D - Outpost vs Smart
E - NeoJungle vs Outpost

F - Hegemony vs Outpost
G - Borgo vs Vegas
H - NeoJungle vs Borgo
I - Steel Police vs Vegas
J - Smart vs Outpost

K - Moloch vs Borgo
L - Vegas vs NeoJungle
M - NeoJungle vs Borgo
N - Hegemony vs Smart
O - Borgo vs Hegemony

P - NewYork vs Moloch
Q - Borgo vs Moloch
R - Vegas vs Outpost
S - Outpost vs NeoJungle
T - NewYork vs Hegemony

U - Vegas vs Smart
V - Vegas vs Hegemony
W - Steel Police vs Smart
X - Moloch vs NeoJungle
Y - Vegas vs NewYork

Im not happy with the random results, too much Vegas, not enough Steel Police! Oh well, thats what random gets you!

What determines Round2+ matchups? Looks like I'll have to buy Outpost :lo

Round 2 stuff is determined by how well you do in round 1. It supposedly keeps the best people playing the other best people, but also gives bad people a chance to move up after beating another bad person, haha. Swiss rules seem really weird, but also pretty interesting.

It looks like I can add new rounds if we need them as well. So we will kind of just play this one by ear and see what happens.

Outpost is free isnt it? I thought the payed stuff was NeoJungle, NewYork, Smart, Vegas and Steel Police?

Smiley90

I beat blahness in our Nightfall matchup 3 to 14! gg :)

(I take it we score by wounds taken?)

I beat blahness in our Nightfall matchup 3 to 14! gg :)

(I take it we score by wounds taken?)

Yeah, it makes Challonge freak out a bit, since the lower score wins, but I can force it to accept the results, heh.

I hope it doesnt become an issue at the end, but oh well! WE WILL SEEEEEE!!!

....strangely pleased by the dice rolling...

Impressions based on a 2 and 4 player solo mode. I like it so far.

Overall much much much better than their implementation of San Juan.
It has Game Center integration, and async multiplayer.
It even knows which friends have the game which is *a good thing*.
The fast forward (during AI turns) is handy.
The rules are really simple - one game against the AI will show you everything.
If anyone plays, try the variant - it looks like the white dice make it far more interesting, by allowing you to use the white dice to scupper other players chances.

It has some statistics too - my most rolled is "3"

In online mode it looks like there's an extra gambling option where after each round you can bet some of your accumulated earnings on the prospect on you being the winner.
If you do you win big. If you don't you may lose out on any "Boosts" you might have earned had you not bet.

I'm not sure how interesting/fun 2 player would be compared to 3/4 player.

blahness

So we are required to buy the expansions for the NH tourney? I only have the base game and as much as I love the game, I do not really want to spend the $8 at the moment for the remaining factions.

So we are required to buy the expansions for the NH tourney? I only have the base game and as much as I love the game, I do not really want to spend the $8 at the moment for the remaining factions.

These are things that should be brought up maybe a little sooner :p

Smiley90

"Attention, Farmers!
Agricola has been submitted to Apple!

As many of you know, the process forward will take a little while. So look for further updates in the near future. Thanks so much to our volunteer testers and to the amazing team here at Playdek. We have all been looking forward to sharing this game with all of you and we we have really appreciated everyone's enthusiasm."

"Attention, Farmers!
Agricola has been submitted to Apple!

As many of you know, the process forward will take a little while. So look for further updates in the near future. Thanks so much to our volunteer testers and to the amazing team here at Playdek. We have all been looking forward to sharing this game with all of you and we we have really appreciated everyone's enthusiasm."
Get in!

Awesome. Glad Agricola is out soon.

2 of the best board games ever (or in my opinion THE 2 best ever) getting iOS releases within weeks of each other? Amazing.

On another note, some people need to log into NH so they show up in multiplayer. I can't start my first game yet!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome. Glad Agricola is out soon.

2 of the best board games ever (or in my opinion THE 2 best ever) getting iOS releases within weeks of each other? Amazing.

On another note, some people need to log into NH so they show up in multiplayer. I can't start my first game yet!
Yeah and a couple of games are moving OK but I also have a couple that seem to have slowed. Take your turns people!

Top Bottom