• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Where do I see wounds though?

Also, thanks for the Eclipse game. About halfway through I figured out what I was doing (mechanically) but didn't want to resign because I wanted to try all the different systems and interactions. Sorry for wasting your time but you got a free win out of it!

If when you created the game one of the options you made was to open the eye, then the main pool of wounds will be shown in the top right, and once you deal wounds to the opponent or get wounds delt to you, then they will be shown near the portraits.

The eclipse game was good for me to learn stuff too. It was kind of a dick move for me to pick Orion and be so aggressive when you haven't played much eclipse before. Sorry, haha. But it was good for me to learn how early Orion can get the centre, I think I was in the centre by round 4, which is kind of crazy. Then it was just interesting for me to try and blow up every one of your planets. Haha. The way you kept expanding was actually really impressive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Orion is brutal -- Ray cheated anyway! ;p

It actually would be nice if the game notified you of stuff like Planta not being recommended for 2P and stuff like that. Because no one would really know unless you read the tabletop manual. As a very general matter, both Planta and Orion are a bit OP. Not broken, but just people should keep this in mind as they're deciding who to gang up on, etc. The game does have a little bit of chop-down-the-leader if those two races are involved and being handled by semi-experienced players.

Orion is pretty brutal yeah, but not as bad as Planta can be. I've actually never had much issues against Orion when I play the board game with friends though. Eznark was playing Hydran, which I actually think is a pretty good counter to Orion, if they get some good research planets early they can have such awesome ships. The big problem was that eznark is/was just learning the game and I was super aggressive. Haha. Douche move on my part!

I think Mechanema is OP. I love them, cheaper ships, triple build, triple upgrade. So awesome. Mechanema are easily my favorite. Eradani are easily my least favourite too, bleh shitty race.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mechanema and Hydran are both mid-tier I believe. Hydran is my favorite though. :) I do like the triple-upgrade ability Mech has. Way more useful than even a double build for most of the game. Some of the weaker races are only "weak" because they don't have great defense, but that doesn't really matter unless you're playing pros which I'm certainly not. :p

Those pirates fuck up the planta hard if played right. The Shrine guys can slow down the Orion hard

All 4 of them are just so much fun to play, they are all so completely new and weird.

Syndicate can pillage the ship wreckage for money? and dont have any Dreads? wtf!
Exiles have Orbitals with guns??? wtff!! haha. Their cloak is so much fun too.

So weird. I havent had a chance to play Magellan yet though, because the couple times we played everyone wanted to use the other 3 new ones, haha.

Does each faction have really specific strengths and weaknesses?

Oh god yes. haha. Everything is relatively balanced and the same, but there is a whole bunch of little changes that really affect how you usually play a race.

Slacker

Not a boardgame but it has boardgamey elements: Anyone playing Frozen Synapse? Seems pretty sweet. Should be saving my dollars for Agricola though. >___<

Edit: I'm Slacker9 on there. Added Heel.

Heel

Yeah it's cross-platform. You have to make a login. I'm Heel on Frozen Synapse if you guys want to get some games in. Note: I have no idea what I'm doing.

octobot

Not a boardgame but it has boardgamey elements: Anyone playing Frozen Synapse? Seems pretty sweet. Should be saving my dollars for Agricola though. >___<

Added you both. I'm not sure what I. Doing yet either but it's fun (octobot on frozen synapse)

Heel

Added you octobot. Gonna figure out how to send you a match.

Wow, Frozen Synapse even has a tournament system. We might have to give that a try at some point.

octobot

Added you octobot. Gonna figure out how to send you a match.

Wow, Frozen Synapse even has a tournament system. We might have to give that a try at some point.

Good match. There is so much more complexity in this game I know I am just scratching the surface of my orders. It also seems like a perfect game for a tournament

Heel

Yeah, not doing anything but setting waypoints and aim commands so far. Need to dig deeper into the tutorials. Still, fun stuff.

What did that missile that buzzed a foot from your head sound like? lol

octobot

Yeah, not doing anything but setting waypoints and aim commands so far. Need to dig deeper into the tutorials. Still, fun stuff.

What did that missile that buzzed a foot from your head sound like? lol

Yeah that was a close one! This current match looks like there will be some close calls too.

Heel

That was a great ending! Lol the grenade wins the day

lol

Turn 3) Wow, looks like I got the hang of this thing!

Turn 4)
55QeTRh.gif

Ignoring the fact that I ran into my own grenade, I also changed the original path of two other guys to run towards two of your explosions. When being too tactical goes wrong...lol.

Is there a way to save and share video? This needs to be seen to be believed.

octobot

lol

Turn 3) Wow, looks like I got the hang of this thing!

Turn 4)
55QeTRh.gif

Ignoring the fact that I ran into my own grenade, I also changed the original path of two other guys to run towards two of your explosions. When being too tactical goes wrong...lol.

Is there a way to save and share video? This needs to be seen to be believed.

You can review others matches (they have that match of the day) so I hope that we can share replays. I had a great match vs Slacker where we had a sniper battle (positioned our snipers at the same point on opposite sides of the map) I ended up on the wrong side of that one but it was a fun match.

That was a weird game of NH Squirrel Killer.... Ive never played NeoJungle as a kamakazi style army before, it was fun, haha.
That was only my third or fourth game of NH ever, and first online. Although I knew I was getting killed, what I liked about it over the Nightfall game I'm in right now is that I could use the info button to get a pretty good lay of the land and make knowledge based, if naive, gameplay decisions. I'm not getting any of that out of Nightfall.

I know Astro says that once you grok it, Nightfall is fun, but it just seems like there's so many mechanics with no usage model to help understand. In Carc, you build shit. In Ascension you get magic or power to buy or beat shit. In NH, you shoot shit. In Nightfall, I can chain shit, but why?

That was only my third or fourth game of NH ever, and first online. Although I knew I was getting killed, what I liked about it over the Nightfall game I'm in right now is that I could use the info button to get a pretty good lay of the land and make knowledge based, if naive, gameplay decisions. I'm not getting any of that out of Nightfall.

I know Astro says that once you grok it, Nightfall is fun, but it just seems like there's so many mechanics with no usage model to help understand. In Carc, you build shit. In Ascension you get magic or power to buy or beat shit. In NH, you shoot shit. In Nightfall, I can chain shit, but why?

Nightfall is really weird. Its all about knowing the best combos, and then trying to get a chain off of your opponent if possible.

The best advice I can give for Nightfall is, if possible just try to focus on getting all your cards from just 2 stacks. Get one of the high attack people like, Alton Hickman, Big Ghost, Franz Orlok, Ivan Radinsky or Vulko and then just get something that will chain inbetween.

Ivan and Franz are an awesome combo, because they both do lots of damage, they both have great abilities and they chain together, so you can just alternate them and get all 5 of your cards out in one go.

Of course, you cant just get Ivan and Franz (or other great combos) whenever you want, so you have to try to figure out what the best combo you can make is.

I really should have done a League like NH for Nightfall, because we have a few new people to Nightfall, so having them play one game and probably lose to someone who plays a lot is a pretty shitty introduction to the game.

mercviper

Yeah it's cross-platform. You have to make a login. I'm Heel on Frozen Synapse if you guys want to get some games in. Note: I have no idea what I'm doing.

Added you both. I'm not sure what I. Doing yet either but it's fun (octobot on frozen synapse)

I am CzarTim on Frozen Synapse. One of my all-time favorite games!

Adding all of you. Forgot how much I love this game. I'm mercviper on there

Heel

Czar just gave me enough confidence to go 100 more matches lol. That went way better than I expected. GG

Too bad the in-game messaging doesn't work better.

mercviper

Haha, you guys talking about it so much made me buy it anyway. :p

So I will probably join in. I just need to play the game first.

The tutorial vids are fairly well done and easily accessible within the game. Also, the first couple of missions in the offline campaign are a good place to start.

The tutorial vids are fairly well done and easily accessible within the game. Also, the first couple of missions in the offline campaign are a good place to start.

Will do!

How goes your NH match with Smiley? nearly done?

Also any updates on the other two round 1 Nightfall matches?

Heel

I am a horrible person and haven't read the Nightfall quick guide yet. I think I get the basic idea though, so send me an invite when you're ready superrobot.

I am a horrible person and haven't read the Nightfall quick guide yet. I think I get the basic idea though, so send me an invite when you're ready superrobot.

Chop chop! play some quick matches vs the AI, they are quick and you should understand a bit better after a few of them.

Uhh I was waiting for an invite since I was bottom rung but I guess I could start the game tonight.

Haha. Aight.

Though it really doesnt matter who invites, since the armies are all predetermined.

I've played 3 games against the AI.
I'm going to crush you! *

* not going to crush you

Top Bottom