• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

octobot

Added everyone who mentioned their Agricola name:

XiaNaphryz
Triphibian
RaySpencer
Smiley90
superrobot
DukeSucks
AstroLad (guessing that's his name)
Kosh

I'm Slacker on there. Give me a day to work through the tutorials and I'll be ready to rock. Maybe tonight.

I picked up Agricola. Will need to learn it but am up for games

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't think he's on yet.
Correct I'll be there today. Also not sure if it's the same case here but I know historically it sometimes takes Playdek games a little while to load friends into its in-game list. Was the case with Nightfall and Summoner Wars launches for me at least.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright I should be on Agricola now as AstroLad. Went ahead and bought it hopefully if I do get another copy I can re-gift it or something.

I dont know why everyone is listing names, I see everyone in my friends list...

I love Agricola....I also hate Agricola!! Every turn you're fucked, its awesome, haha. I NEED TO DO ALL OF THESE THINGS!!!! dont make me pick just 2 :'(, and then someone does the one I need and im extra sad :'(

So good.

Eclipse is still better, I dont care what BGG says, Eclipse is in space and has massive amounts of dice rolls, therefor it is better.

blackflag

Haven't played any of these games for awhile. I miss them.

I got Agricola. User name Blackflag.

I've played twice IRL so I'm just gonna freshen up on the tutorial a bit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I created several games with an assortment of folks. Definitely feel free to add me to any games you want people at. Anything but Family!

Is it just me that gets a crash in an online game when you tap on the card in the log in the Game Overview section.
Doesn't happen against the AIs.

DukeSucks

Keep the invites coming, so I can figure out wtf I am doing

Got Agricola and am currently learning the game. Feel free to start a game with me (blahness) if you want a sure fire win.

Gonna start one with you so we can crash and burn together :)

Edit: is "random" the best option to choose when creating a game?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Still getting used the game, send me invites! In a 3p and 5p game right now, always looking for more! Same goes for Eclipse :) Or really any game, I'm enjoying having an iPad and more screen space haha.

Although Agricola on the iphone isn't THAT bad actually.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The cards are pretty self-explanatory, and in a game you dont use all of them, you just end up using the ones that will benefit each other and make building certain things better than others.

Yeah, you pretty much focus on the cards that work together since you likely won't be able to play them all, i.e. if you have an occupation that improves the Fishing space along with a few minor improvements that also improve the Fishing action, you should try and focus on those particular cards.

Smiley90

I'm not knowledgeable yet for proper drafting in Agricola, so I just picked cards randomly lol. No point in spending too much time thinking about it. Random > Draft!

Li Kao

I'm not knowledgeable yet for proper drafting in Agricola, so I just picked cards randomly lol. No point in spending too much time thinking about it. Random > Draft!

Yup, sorry if I kept you waiting, My Agricola days are long past and I imagine I must have played random. Draft is an asynch nightmare when you're lost.

Yeah these draft games are a really bad way to start because of the information overload.

It'll be nice when people have a better idea of what evething means though.

XiaNaphryz

Yeah these draft games are a really bad way to start because of the information overload.

Random for the first few, then 10-3 after people get a few games under their belt, then draft for experienced players.

Smiley90

I didn't realize the other game was 10-3, so I just totally randomly discarded cards from it too. Not like I can tell much :lol

Flynn

I think I would probably just want to play 10-3 all the time after everyone has settled in, and save full on Draft for tournament stuff.

Draft is really great for building your own card synergies. You pretty much have to luck into them in 10-3.

EDIT: I am happy to play many games. Invite Triphibian!!!

Draft is really great for building your own card synergies. You pretty much have to luck into them in 10-3.

EDIT: I am happy to play many games. Invite Triphibian!!!

Yeah, which is why I think it would be important for Tournaments. But I think the 10-3 works good as something, thats a quick setup, but still offers a decent amount of choice to how you're going to play.

Most of the time in these GAF mp games, we are just kind of goofin around, and trying new stuff and just generally enjoying the game. Dont need full draft unless its 'serious business' :p

Smiley90

I think the only thing I dislike about Agricola so far is that it's REALLY hard to keep track of what's happening once you open an MP game. Like, you first have to check out your farm and read all the cards everytime you go into a different game to catch up on what's happening in a particular game, to know what strategy I had there. As opposed to e.g. NHex where it doesn't really matter much and is fairly obvious fast.

XiaNaphryz

My Agricola friends list is still empty. Been like twelve hours :-/

I eventually saw more names on my list after I loaded up Nightfall and hopped online real quick. Maybe jump into another Playdek game and check your friends list there first and see if that also does the trick for you?

Smiley90

-facepalm-

Dragged my card onto Ray's attacking creature in Nightfall to block, clicked confirm... only to realized I missed the right spot by a bit when I dropped the defender and it didn't actually block. argh. oh well, 1 damage.

-facepalm-

Dragged my card onto Ray's attacking creature in Nightfall to block, clicked confirm... only to realized I missed the right spot by a bit when I dropped the defender and it didn't actually block. argh. oh well, 1 damage.

Haha. Not a big deal at least. I mean if you lose because of green starter card damage, then I'm taking your champion title away from you :p

Slacker

Agricola Solo Series is neat. Who can get the record for most games in a row? My record is currently zero (needed 50, scored 31). :p

AirBrian

NH Update!

AirBrian: 18/20
SquirrelKiller: 15/20

gg, SK! I was able to get a few hits in before basically only upgrade tiles were left on the board. Definitely a defensive game!

Great job on another win in the GAFASTROPHIC Eclipse game Astro!

I came and killed everyone in the last round, but I used up all my influence moving my ships around, so I didn't have any left to pick up the solar systems I conquered. Haha, WHOOPS! But even with those 10 extra points I would have still lost.

GG guys.

Picture dump!
zGATkSE.jpg

ooHVhp5.jpg

ZyXUqOn.jpg

5X6p25q.jpg

RGryZuu.jpg

HsRQHyQ.jpg

So much fun.

I'm hosed on the tie-breaker. Ray, how the hell do you have a 16?!

Honestly, I have no idea how that shit work. I will look on Challonge to figure it out.

I probably just cheated somewhere!!

Edit: It says this:

"Challonge primarily uses the Median-Buchholz system for breaking ties. The "tie-break score" displayed in the results table is the sum of a player's opponents' scores, with the best and worst scores discarded. Should players be tied by score and tie-break score, they are sorted based on their records relative to one another. Seed breaks up any remaining ties."

Im not exactly sure how that all works. It might not be updated enough yet either? or maybe it will change when everyone finishes there games. I dont know man!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
whooo--gg of eclipse!

I didn't even know about the solo stuff in agricola since I focus so much on multi. Will have to try it out.

whooo--gg of eclipse!

I didn't even know about the solo stuff in agricola since I focus so much on multi. Will have to try it out.

You had so much tech researched it was insane! Your Hydran playing is dangerous!! I wish I had better engines in my ships, I would have flown your way, but the furthest I could get was into Tim's space :(

I take solace in the fact that I got to crush everyones fleets though!

Missiles are OP as fuuuuck

CzarTim

You had so much tech researched it was insane! Your Hydran playing is dangerous!! I wish I had better engines in my ships, I would have flown your way, but the furthest I could get was into Tim's space :(

I take solace in the fact that I got to crush everyones fleets though!

Missiles are OP as fuuuuck

That was the first game I've finished. Need to work on my end game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Doing most of my Agricola games 10-3 even with noobs. :D IRL I usually just do random 7, but async it's so easy to just take your time and decide on your cards. Even if you only know the basic rules, imo it's still nicer to have some control. Not that I mind random either.

This is going to get CRAZY when they start releasing new decks. It's funny how much depth Agricola has in just the E deck. Kind of glad it's actually staggered release so that the game is a bit more accessible to new players with a more limited card pool for now.

Some UI tips:
? icon pops up all actions and the available ones are filled in.
A icon in top right gives you a really good overview of the game state. See everyone's farms, resources, and played occupations and improvements. There's a bunch of other stuff in that menu too like a map of upcoming harvests and actions (just tap the other icons). Agricola is one of those games, you just play it 3-4 times and then it becomes soooo easy that you can just focus entirely on the tough decisions and your farm roadmap (that you can follow until a round later when someone does something you didn't expect).

Top Bottom