• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Finally added my info to the spreadsheet. I should be NorrenRadd everywhere.

Playdek's friends list implementation leaves a lot to be desired :/

Slacker

Every time I open Eclipse, the only games offered for multiplayer are Neogaf/GAF-titles games LOL. Are we the only people playing this game or what? We need a Big Daddy/Playdek Rep in here, since we're clearly the target audience. :lol

I'm sure people are playing Eclipse, but in the state it's in competitive play is basically not an option, so I can see a lot of the hardcore types waiting for an update. Main problems: the HUGE population cube bug, and the fact that we can't see what our opponents did in async. Once that stuff is fixed it'll be a much better experience.

Ah, Big Daddy. Why can't you be Playdek?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
'Weedlewalker' sent me an Agricola invite but I had to decline because it was just 1 day time limit. Can you please resend with 7 or more days? Can't seem to find you in my friends list.

Also what is the population bug in eclipse? Not familiar enough with all the tabletop rules.

Slacker

Also what is the population bug in eclipse? Not familiar enough with all the tabletop rules.

When you remove an influence disc from a hex, any population cubes are immediately removed and returned to their tracks on your player board as well. This represents the cost of exploring and colonizing new worlds to your empire. In the iOS version, the population cubes are left behind, so you can take the influence discs back to use on other actions without the penalty of losing the production from the population cubes. It's a huge error that has an enormous impact on the game.

It's amazing how Big Daddy have carved out their niche so specificially with their iOS games. You can pretty much take it to the bank that any new BDG release will (A) have a great game as source material, (B) be decently put together, but (C) ultimately be flawed in some way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wait wtf really? What about if you remove influence due to bankruptcy? I could swear I've done that and been forced to choose which the remove for the wild-card worlds. But don't pay super close attention to this stuff.

Slacker

Wait wtf really? What about if you remove influence due to bankruptcy? I could swear I've done that and been forced to choose which the remove for the wild-card worlds. But don't pay super close attention to this stuff.

The wild card cubes do work - the others do not sadly. :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The wild card cubes do work - the others do not sadly. :(

Haha--wow! I can't believe that bug's been in there the whole time; that's kind of insane. BDC definitely has a pattern. Superficially I think there apps look extremely polished (the slight lag in Eclipse being a notable exception) but yeah they definitely miss the mark on some big things sometimes. I'm still irked by how hard it is to assess the change in game state since your last turn, but that seems like a niggle compared to this bug.

Compare that to Agricola (which I'm sure does have some issues -- it's inevitable with games so complex) where Playdek afaik implemented all the corner-case rulings from the fan-collected 100+-page compendium.

mercviper

Well in regards to bankruptcy, I think it did remove all my pop cubes. You can check in our 4p GAF game where you're about to win, I have an uninfluenced sector with a starbase and an interceptor that doesn't have any cubes on it, wild or otherwise.

Speaking of that game, Slacker, if I had kept attacking Astrolad, would you have taken that opportunity to attack me instead? Or did I get too antsy and force you to defend? I really didn't feel like I could take the chance that you would leave me alone if I attacked Astro, and waited as long as I could before actually moving into the GDC and causing that clusterfuck.

Ha ha. I've played and won against my wife, my brother and benefitted from a forfeit and my Agricola rank is over 1800.
Going to crash back to earth soon!

What number of players do you prefer to play with in Agricola? I played the tabletop version with 4-5 multiple times but I have several 2-player iOS games going on now. The early stages of my 2-player games are scrambling for the right to the wood.

What number of players do you prefer to play with in Agricola? I played the tabletop version with 4-5 multiple times but I have several 2-player iOS games going on now. The early stages of my 2-player games are scrambling for the right to the wood.

Max players! It fun with any amount ive found, but I like to max that shit out! Same with Eclipse, 4 is great, but 6 is best!

blahness

CvbCxFC.jpg

Great game Flynn, it was neck and neck until the last bunch of tiles.

AirBrian

Honestly, I have no idea how that shit work. I will look on Challonge to figure it out.

I probably just cheated somewhere!!

Edit: It says this:

"Challonge primarily uses the Median-Buchholz system for breaking ties. The "tie-break score" displayed in the results table is the sum of a player's opponents' scores, with the best and worst scores discarded. Should players be tied by score and tie-break score, they are sorted based on their records relative to one another. Seed breaks up any remaining ties."

Im not exactly sure how that all works. It might not be updated enough yet either? or maybe it will change when everyone finishes there games. I dont know man!

Oh, it's basically strength-of-schedule! And it definitely updates live.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah swiss or modified swiss like challonge is awesome because you ultimately get paired up against people really close to your skill level, which is always the most fun. Works really well when you have 16+ and 5 or more rounds of play.

Yeah swiss or modified swiss like challonge is awesome because you ultimately get paired up against people really close to your skill level, which is always the most fun. Works really well when you have 16+ and 5 or more rounds of play.

Yeah, I would love to do more rounds in tournaments, I think at the base of it, the Neuroshima Hex tournament round style has been really awesome, and Ive sure enjoyed both NH tournaments a lot!

Longer but faster round tournaments would be best.

..but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much excitement around them anymore. So few signups, some rounds taking weeks and just general disinterest in the games chosen sometimes.

Maybe its time for a break from Tournaments? I will keep running my Ray vs Smiley Tournaments though :p, and it seems CzarTim is down to face off again!! We had a bunch of matches before, and now they are back in full force, Im excited!

I still wouldnt mind running another SW Tournament, and another Ascension tournament, but if I do im going to start implementing some reasonable time limits to keep the flow of the tournament running at a reasonable pace.

I also wont bother with super small bracketed tournaments either. The Nightfall one was a complete failure, 4 people only got 1 match, and the other 4 only had to play 3 matches, and one of those matches for 2 people was the fight for 3 and 4 match. I think I ended up pushing more people away from an amazing card game than I brought in, and thats pretty much just the worst possible outcome for a Tournament.

Don't get downhearted over Nightfall. I've got into it since the tournament, been playing regular games since then.

Agricoka: I've completely ballsed up my first solo series game. Lucky to get 40 points. I accidentally deleted a series where I got 59 in the first game, and got a 4 food head start. G
Boo!

CzarTim

Yeah, I would love to do more rounds in tournaments, I think at the base of it, the Neuroshima Hex tournament round style has been really awesome, and Ive sure enjoyed both NH tournaments a lot!

..but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be much excitement around them anymore. So few signups, some rounds taking weeks and just general disinterest in the games chosen sometimes.

Maybe its time for a break from Tournaments? I will keep running my Ray vs Smiley Tournaments though :p, and it seems CzarTim is down to face off again!! We had a bunch of matches before, and now they are back in full force, Im excited!

I still wouldnt mind running another SW Tournament, and another Ascension tournament, but if I do im going to start implementing some reasonable time limits to keep the flow of the tournament running at a reasonable pace.

I also wont bother with super small bracketed tournaments either. The Nightfall one was a complete failure, 4 people only got 1 match, and the other 4 only had to play 3 matches, and one of those matches for 2 people was the fight for 3 and 4 match. I think I ended up pushing more people away from an amazing card game than I brought in, and thats pretty much just the worst possible outcome for a Tournament.
Isn't a SW update on the way? Might be best to wait until then. Would never say no to a match though, still my favorite game.

AstroLad and I played a 1v1 game of AC, which is the first game I've finished outside of the AI. It really made me impressed at how deep the game is and how completely different strategies can be used from one game to the next. Trying to find the best synergy based on what your cards are and what your opponents are doing is really rewarding. I do seem to have trouble expanding my home/family at a reasonable pace though. Need to make that a higher priority.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I do seem to have trouble expanding my home/family at a reasonable pace though. Need to make that a higher priority.

This is usually what makes or breaks a game - if you take too long in getting more family members you'll fall behind other players who can take extra actions, but if you expand too quickly before you get a decent food engine going you may end up spending most of your actions worrying about get enough food for harvest and not being able to do much of anything else.

Isn't a SW update on the way? Might be best to wait until then. Would never say no to a match though, still my favorite game.

AstroLad and I played a 1v1 game of AC, which is the first game I've finished outside of the AI. It really made me impressed at how deep the game is and how completely different strategies can be used from one game to the next. Trying to find the best synergy based on what your cards are and what your opponents are doing is really rewarding. I do seem to have trouble expanding my home/family at a reasonable pace though. Need to make that a higher priority.

Yeah, SW might have to wait till then. Ascension might be easy enough to slap out though. I havent played in months, so it might be fun to get back into.

I just want more people to want to play these things. It seems like the group that want to play all the tournaments is getting smaller and smaller, which makes it less fun to play, haha.

Its not really a big deal either way, im loving playing Eclipse and Agricola right now, and ive still got games of NightFall and NH with Smiley, plus our game of Carc, and a game of Totems, and thats just my GAF games too.

Im just merely stating that the excitement from the Tournaments seems to have fallen off, so if I just wont really bother until people are looking to play some other games :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I am really into the tournaments. BDC games are just unfriendly enough though that I get into bad habits with them (not creating games right away for example). But this isn't out of not enjoying the hell out of them.

Fuck folders! A page (or 2 pages on my iPad) just for async games!!

My Phones Second Page said:

Edit: Actually, Ive got a few on there that I dont have active games in, so let me know who wants to play:

Samurai
TtR (any map)
LeHavre
Stone Age

Id like to get a game or 2 in all of those, and preferably more than 2 people.

Yeah, PlayDek customer support seems pretty bad, at least compared to BDC. Whats wrong with your account anyway?

I created an account when I downloaded Agricola. Never received a confirmation email. Not even to spam. Emails to support have gone unanswered or straight up delivery failure.

blahness

Fuck folders! A page (or 2 pages on my iPad) just for async games!!

Edit: Actually, Ive got a few on there that I dont have active games in, so let me know who wants to play:

Samurai
TtR (any map)
LeHavre
Stone Age

Id like to get a game or 2 in all of those, and preferably more than 2 people.

I am up for TtR, LeHavre, and Stone Age anytime.

Top Bottom