• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Doing most of my Agricola games 10-3 even with noobs. :D IRL I usually just do random 7, but async it's so easy to just take your time and decide on your cards. Even if you only know the basic rules, imo it's still nicer to have some control. Not that I mind random either.

This is going to get CRAZY when they start releasing new decks. It's funny how much depth Agricola has in just the E deck. Kind of glad it's actually staggered release so that the game is a bit more accessible to new players with a more limited card pool for now.

Some UI tips:
? icon pops up all actions and the available ones are filled in.
A icon in top right gives you a really good overview of the game state. See everyone's farms, resources, and played occupations and improvements. There's a bunch of other stuff in that menu too like a map of upcoming harvests and actions (just tap the other icons). Agricola is one of those games, you just play it 3-4 times and then it becomes soooo easy that you can just focus entirely on the tough decisions and your farm roadmap (that you can follow until a round later when someone does something you didn't expect).

Yeah the Agricola button is amazing, I'm still getting used to everything in it though.

Awesome addition for a game with so many boards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, it took me several playthroughs to get used to the board as well for the same reason. For a while I was just thinking "argh why couldn't they just use the exact same setup as the board?" But now it's totally intuitive. Worst case you just tap the ? and you can really quickly see what's available to you.

whooo--gg of eclipse!

I didn't even know about the solo stuff in agricola since I focus so much on multi. Will have to try it out.
It's the solo variant from the original game.
You have to get 50 points for the first game.
So it requires a bit of timing and planning.

You need to feed 3 per person instead of 2, and you only get 2 wood instead of 3 and start with no food.
If you beat it you get to permanently keep one of your Occupations from that run.
You then go again with a higher target.
This series continues until you've done seven farms.
You should have 6 occupations in play by the beginning of the last run.

Li Kao

Lol, last to play in a four player game of Agricola is something. Feels like being beaten with a stick (or a pitchfork).

Flynn

I didn't even know about the solo stuff in agricola since I focus so much on multi. Will have to try it out.

I know some communities do challenges to see who can wring the best solo score out of a particular hand of cards. Might be fun to do here.

Li Kao

Lost cities
AstroLad / Li Kao 36-51

Very cool game, I was clearly beaten all along and won... with my last card ! A nice suspens that came along the classics "hostage cards" and "oh god I must not take a new card, the game would finish too soon"

GG Astro !

In Agricola, before you confirm the end of your turn, does it warn you if you take more animals than you have space for. For example I took 4 sheep, then remembered to cook 3, and kept 1 as a pet.
If I hadn't remembered would it warn me that 3 sheep would run away.
Not willing to risk it myself, but if someone else could try that would be great :)

In Agricola, before you confirm the end of your turn, does it warn you if you take more animals than you have space for. For example I took 4 sheep, then remembered to cook 3, and kept 1 as a pet.
If I hadn't remembered would it warn me that 3 sheep would run away.
Not willing to risk it myself, but if someone else could try that would be great :)

It doesn't let you place them illegally (too many in a field for example). If you don't cook the excess, it warns you that you will forfeit any unplaced animals.

CzarTim

Really liking Agricola so far. Takes a little longer to take a turn due to how much you need to review, but fun nonetheless.

It doesn't let you place them illegally (too many in a field for example). If you don't cook the excess, it warns you that you will forfeit any unplaced animals.
Excellent, thanks.
Just disappointed they didn't change the 'ding' notification to something 'farmy'.
Would have been my number 1 priority if I was in charge.

My vindictive attack on eznark in FastGAF Eclipse is holding up our game. Haha.

He attacked me so early!!! I've got to fight back!! Hahaha

DukeSucks

Agricola is a combination of fun/overwhelming right now. Enjoying it a lot, but it's going to take a few more run throughs to really figure it out and get a strategy. Playing a game with superrobot and his farm is so sophisticated

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Agricola 3p game with blahness and Flynn is nearly done. Gonna come down to the wire between Flynn and I.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Good game guys. Building the Well ended up being the difference.

1dUvPBjl.jpg

Not too bad for starting out blahness. Over 20 points is decent for a beginning player. I've had friends who couldn't break double digits in their first few games.

eznark

Banned
My vindictive attack on eznark in FastGAF Eclipse is holding up our game. Haha.

He attacked me so early!!! I've got to fight back!! Hahaha

Hahaha. I was just trying shit out and then in another game kin of realized that my ships weren't nearly as powerful as unthought. I'm struggling to get a feel for Eclipse but man it's rad. I'll be home in an hour or so, sorry for the hold up.

Hahaha. I was just trying shit out and then in another game kin of realized that my ships weren't nearly as powerful as unthought. I'm struggling to get a feel for Eclipse but man it's rad. I'll be home in an hour or so, sorry for the hold up.

It's not really a hold up, it's just funny because its 'FastGAF' and here we are in round 3 or 4 waging an all out war. Haha.

eznark

Banned
The other games we are in all seemed so passive. I picked the warrior looking dudes so I figured I should start a fucking war!

I'm going to get destroyed.

Flynn

Good game guys. Building the Well ended up being the difference.

1dUvPBjl.jpg

Not too bad for starting out blahness. Over 20 points is decent for a beginning player. I've had friends who couldn't break double digits in their first few games.

GG, you two! I got the six-room stone house and still couldn't catch up.

EDIT: Also, is it me or did the Eclipse servers take a shit today?

Agricola is a combination of fun/overwhelming right now. Enjoying it a lot, but it's going to take a few more run throughs to really figure it out and get a strategy. Playing a game with superrobot and his farm is so sophisticated
I get what you mean about overwhelming and fun.
Each time I go back in its a case of, what was I doing, what have I built, what occupations are helping me, what on earth was I thinking when I made that last move.
I know at some point I'm going to make a move which will be perfect for another game because I think I have an occupation or improvement.

I think in our game you've created a bit of a problem with where you have put the fields and fences. I think the rules will only let you add a ploughed field next to an existing field, and add a room to an existing room. Given where the fenced pasture is I think you only have 2 spaces for more fields or rooms.

TP17

I'd be up for some Agricola games, I'm new to the game so it would be interesting to see how non-bot users play it. Played through the tutorial and quite a few offline 3-5 player games on family rules, one game with occupations too.

Name on Agricola is LoveYouLots, on gamecentre it's TP-17

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Every time I open Eclipse, the only games offered for multiplayer are Neogaf/GAF-titles games LOL. Are we the only people playing this game or what? We need a Big Daddy/Playdek Rep in here, since we're clearly the target audience. :lol

CzarTim

Every time I open Eclipse, the only games offered for multiplayer are Neogaf/GAF-titles games LOL. Are we the only people playing this game or what? We need a Big Daddy/Playdek Rep in here, since we're clearly the target audience. :lol

Pretty sure they are private games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah you have to search for games to see other games on offer, right? I forget how it works but I've seen non-GAF games open a bunch. Don't think I would ever trust playing that game with randoms though just in terms of timing.

PFD

I got an invite for an Eclipse match from someone. Not sure who it was, but I read GAF somewhere.

Waiting for my turn. It's my first multiplayer match, so go easy on me :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One really minor thing I noticed with the new Playdek account feature is that you no longer have to quit the app should you go in without an internet connection. Now it just kicks you to the sign-in screen for your Playdek account. Minor but kind of nice as this used to happen to me at least a couple of times a day.

On the right side it will only show private games your invited to, or open games. I've seen loads of open games over there, but with so many GAF games I never need to bother.

Li Kao

Hnn speaking about it, I created two 4-player games some days ago, and on each one the last invited player didn't show up to this day. I'm a little annoyed for the other ones that accepted.
And yeah, I was bad after reading the tuto some weeks ago. I'm going to be seeing stars (pun of the century, at least).

CzarTim

Hnn speaking about it, I created two 4-player games some days ago, and on each one the last invited player didn't show up to this day. I'm a little annoyed for the other ones that accepted.
And yeah, I was bad after reading the tuto some weeks ago. I'm going to be seeing stars (pun of the century, at least).

Invite more people than open slots so if someone declines, others can accept.

Invite more people than open slots so if someone declines, others can accept.

Yeah, it seems like you can invite way more people than there are slots for, and then it's just first come first serve.

This isnt a board game, but its a strategy game, and you're the people that I want opinions from:

Battle Academy is half off right now, is it awesome? I never could spend the 20, but if you guys like it and would want to play it, I will spend 10 on it.

edit:

Thanks for the tip, it's perfectly logical. Sometimes I'm worried about myself -_-

I think you could have just invited more into that last one, rather than making a new one :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wait... If I see GAF-private games on the right side... And Li Kao is complaining somebody is not accepting invites...

OH GOD IT'S ME.

Will check asap. It never told me I got invited to games! I just thought the games on the right side were open games :/

Wait... If I see GAF-private games on the right side... And Li Kao is complaining somebody is not accepting invites...

OH GOD IT'S ME.

Will check asap. It never told me I got invited to games! I just thought the games on the right side were open games :/

Big surprize! Smiley complaining about stuff thats actually his fault :p

heh.

I have some Oranges for you now Smiley! I think even some Perfect Oranges!

Li Kao

OH GOD IT'S ME.

Lollll, no problem. And Ray yeah, now that you mention it, I should simply have added some invits. I didn't really understand the online lobby until now.

tm24

I have some Oranges for you now Smiley! I think even some Perfect Oranges!

Pefect oranges only do you any good. You cant give them away to grow since they only grow into normal trees

Also, someone invited me to an Eclipse game, but now i cant see it!

Pefect oranges only do you any good. You cant give them away to grow since they only grow into normal trees

Also, someone invited me to an Eclipse game, but now i cant see it!

Oh, well nevermind then! they are mine!

I dont remember anything about AC, been so long, haha.

tm24

Oh, well nevermind then! they are mine!

I dont remember anything about AC, been so long, haha.

Well, the perfect stuff is new. There's a lot of neat little crazy things in the game. God, an AC based board game would be fucking amazing.

BTW, you AC guys make plenty of bells on the island yet?

Top Bottom