• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Is there no way to play a local game of Agricola without using the online server? like me and a buddy at work want to play while working but our wifi keeps kicking us off the server.

Is there no way to play a local game of Agricola without using the online server? like me and a buddy at work want to play while working but our wifi keeps kicking us off the server.

I used to have problems with Playdek and our wifi/gateway - in the end they must relaxed the firewall rules or something.
I'd get notifications but have to switch to 3G to take turns, then switch back so as not to ramp up my data usage.

Async Catan will have to do something clever with regards to trading otherwise non-live games would take longer than a game of Caylus.

Yeah I guess, id still be ok with that :p

Edit: damn Eclipse servers seem sick again.

Scratch that, it's the BDC servers in general, because NH is weird slow right now too.

Rivals is a ton of fun. One of the favourite games of my chidhood. I own 3 versions of it :lol

I had honestly never even heard of it until they announced it was coming to iOS.

I like card games and I like Catan, so it sounds good to me. Is it sort of like how San Juan is basically an easier card based Puerto Rico?

eznark

Banned
Rivals is the first "real" game I ever bought (along with Carc both at the behest of Astro...thanks!). The weekend it arrived I went camping and left it in the rental car, unopened. Never saw it again. Sigh...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think Rivals can translate really well to mobile, even though I also don't bust it out too often IRL (way too many good 2p games). What's the word on the app? Will it have async and other goodies?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I had honestly never even heard of it until they announced it was coming to iOS.

I like card games and I like Catan, so it sounds good to me. Is it sort of like how San Juan is basically an easier card based Puerto Rico?

Kind of is, yes. It has a few other mechanics though, a heavier focus on city building and combat, as opposed to "map superiority". I love the game. :p one of the most fun 2p games.

Kind of is, yes. It has a few other mechanics though, a heavier focus on city building and combat, as opposed to "map superiority". I love the game. :p one of the most fun 2p games.

Aight, you got me hyped enough to play it!

Another game to add to the RvS tournament roster. :p

I'll probably still get it.
I won't find an excuse to stay up after midnight like last week though :)

Back to the solo series: 49, just needed one more action.
It's a good way to get to know the cards though.

mercviper

I'll probably still get it.
I won't find an excuse to stay up after midnight like last week though :)

Back to the solo series: 49, just needed one more action.
It's a good way to get to know the cards though.

In Solo Series I'm on game 9 with ~85 points in the last game. Didn't think I could get much higher than that but then I check BGG and with perfect conditions they can get upwards 150+ points.

I think a nice extra feature would be to be able to "solo challenge" your friends.
invite up to 5, random cards or the organiser picks the cards for the first farm.
For each subsequent game, everyone would get the same cards (obviously making allowances for kept occupations) and you could only see each others farms at the end of each game (to avoid copying).

I wonder if the 150 point farms use more of the cards from the I and K decks.

mercviper

I think a nice extra feature would be to be able to "solo challenge" your friends.
invite up to 5, random cards or the organiser picks the cards for the first farm.
For each subsequent game, everyone would get the same cards (obviously making allowances for kept occupations) and you could only see each others farms at the end of each game (to avoid copying).

I wonder if the 150 point farms use more of the cards from the I and K decks.

That would be a pretty sweet feature.

Yeah the farms on BGG were using a couple more decks than E, but I forget which. A lot of the point tallying involved just making a giant stone house and having cards that give more points for doing so though (like chief). It was kinda crazy and made me think more on my current strategy in Agricola, which is get some of everything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's funny, after playing so much Eclipse it's so nice in Agricola to actually be able TO REVIEW THE DAMN GAME STATE between turns or right after your turn has ended.

mercviper

Confirmed, I use it with no problems.

GG in 'cola blahness

How and what do you need in order to upgrade your house? And do you need to do clay, then stone, or either or?

To upgrade your house, a 1 time cost of 5x the type of house (clay/stone) and 1x reed. You also have to upgrade from wood to clay, and then clay to stone. The upgrade cost doesn't matter what size house you have either, so typically you expand the house as much as you can with whatever material is abundant, and then upgrade the house in the last few rounds.

Heel

The good news is iOS 7 has a GameCenter API for turn-based games and chat, so at least these bargain bin board game ports will potentially start turning into bargain bin board game ports with async multiplayer and a way to tell your opponent how bad the game is.

Only non-async board game I play with any regularity is Ghost Stories, since there you can shoot for a high score. But out of the 5+ other ones I have without async, those mostly collect dust.

Yup! I still have a bunch of non async games on my iPad, but I never play them because then I cant multitask.

It's funny, after playing so much Eclipse it's so nice in Agricola to actually be able TO REVIEW THE DAMN GAME STATE between turns or right after your turn has ended.

Its really weird how eclipse doesnt let you do anything when its not your turn, and its weird how it doesnt show what other people did on their turns either, especially since NH allows both (though there isnt much to look at in NH when its not your turn).

I hope they add that stuff in at some point. Lucky for them, the game still plays awesome.

Edit: WAIT !!

The good news is iOS 7 has a GameCenter API for turn-based games and chat, so at least these bargain bin board game ports will potentially start turning into bargain bin board game ports with async multiplayer and a way to tell your opponent how bad the game is.

iOS 7 has baked in chat? how does that work?

DukeSucks

To upgrade your house, a 1 time cost of 5x the type of house (clay/stone) and 1x reed. You also have to upgrade from wood to clay, and then clay to stone. The upgrade cost doesn't matter what size house you have either, so typically you expand the house as much as you can with whatever material is abundant, and then upgrade the house in the last few rounds.

Thanks, so to go from wood to clay, I just need 5 clay and 1 reed no matter the size of my house?

Also happy I finally scored in double digits one game!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, so to go from wood to clay, I just need 5 clay and 1 reed no matter the size of my house?

Also happy I finally scored in double digits one game!

Need x [resource] where x is the number of rooms you have and resource is the type of house you have + 1 reed. Rulebook in game is actually pretty solid -- this stuff is listed under actions -> renovate.

mercviper

Need x [resource] where x is the number of rooms you have and resource is the type of house you have + 1 reed. Rulebook in game is actually pretty solid -- this stuff is listed under actions -> renovate.

Oh whoops. I've been upgrading my house after building 5 rooms so in my head it's 5 of a resource haha. Thanks for the correction Astro. The reed doesn't change from 1, which is the most important part!

Heel

iOS 7 has baked in chat? how does that work?

No, not in iOS 7 itself. If I'm understanding correctly, there will be APIs for developers to more easily implement turn-based games and chat in their apps using Apple servers instead of having to create their own solutions.

No, not in iOS 7 itself. If I'm understanding correctly, there will be APIs for developers to more easily implement turn-based games and chat in their apps using Apple servers instead of having to create their own solutions.

Oh ok, I hope it actually gets used. haha.

PittaGAF

AstroLad can I ask you a personal favor?
I'm immensely enjoying our Lost Citites games, but can you please put an Avatar on your GC?
You feel soooo....soulless without a proper avatar!!!
I need a proper avatar to curse when I'm losing!!!! :)

I realized I've yet to put my nick on the list.
From iPad it's a pain....I'll do it as soon as I'm on a PC at work, but if someone wants to play Lost Citites my GC is Pitta.

Also...Battle of the Bulge (fantastic game with fantastic async gameplay) is getting a universal update.

Slacker

Waiting on Slacker vs Smiley, which is weird since they are both usually really fast to knock games out.

Smiley's turn at the moment. Hurry up you slow bastid! :D

I've been slow too, sadly. Blame it on (A) a busy couple weeks at work, and (B) The Last Of Us on PS3 at home.

I think it's Smiley's turn. Servers seem to be foobed again so I can't check.

In happy news, played another solo series at lunch. First time I scored 31. This time, 40. Getting better. :)

Li Kao

AstroLad can I ask you a personal favor?
I'm immensely enjoying our Lost Citites games, but can you please put an Avatar on your GC?
You feel soooo....soulless without a proper avatar!!!
I need a proper avatar to curse when I'm losing!!!! :)

I realized I've yet to put my nick on the list.
From iPad it's a pain....I'll do it as soon as I'm on a PC at work, but if someone wants to play Lost Citites my GC is Pitta.

Also...Battle of the Bulge (fantastic game with fantastic async gameplay) is getting a universal update.

Lol, I swear this bugged me too and I didn't dare ask for it.
And the strange thing is, it is primarily including hardcore boardgamers !
Astro, Smiley, Xia, what are you doing buddies ? :-S

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
funny...didn't know i didn't have one. guess i set one in carcassonne before gc even existed and thought no more of it

added my khaela maricich pencil from carc/twitter

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Smiley's turn at the moment. Hurry up you slow bastid! :D

I've been slow too, sadly. Blame it on (A) a busy couple weeks at work, and (B) The Last Of Us on PS3 at home.

I think it's Smiley's turn. Servers seem to be foobed again so I can't check.

In happy news, played another solo series at lunch. First time I scored 31. This time, 40. Getting better. :)

Busy work and crappy servers are to blame, clearly. :p

Top Bottom