• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well, Ive tested it now. Its a well made app, and looks really good!

Oh, but the game is boring as fuck. So I deleted it.

It gets more interesting when you get more cards, but it is more on the simplistic side. I enjoy it being a Trek geek.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wait, so does Rivals have async or not? If not, I'm not even gonna bother buying it, despite loving the game.

Smiley90

Because it's one of my favourite iOS games and one of the best TBS games of the platform, and because it's getting an async multiplayer version... I'm cross-posting this:

Well now, this is a pretty darn eventful week for strategy and tabletop, with XCOM, Rivals for Catan and all. Yipes.

For those of you guys who liked Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion, or folks who just like turn-based strategy wargames in general, I just wanted to let you guys know we've just kicked off the iOS open beta for Ravenmark: Mercenaries. Mercenaries is the asynchronous multiplayer sequel to the original Ravenmark, and its free-to-play model is inspired by a League of Legends style customization system. (read: not pay-to-win!)

The open beta will be about three weeks long, and it's currently only available on the Singapore, New Zealand and Australia App Stores. If you folks in the Americas and Europe wanna get in on the beta... well, I think I can trust Gaffers to be resourceful enough to find a way to play. :D Check it out here

1oVho48.png

Flynn

So sad. I got ridiculously annoyed by all the weirdos on BGG who refuse to play async. If you're playing Playdek games, and the majority of your games are not async or live, you're doing it very wrong.

I honestly cannot make it through a BGG post about iOS games without pulling my hair out.

Wait, so does Rivals have async or not? If not, I'm not even gonna bother buying it, despite loving the game.

Superrobot asked the pocket tactics guys and they said I didn't have async :(

Because it's one of my favourite iOS games and one of the best TBS games of the platform, and because it's getting an async multiplayer version... I'm cross-posting this:

Sounds awesome to me, how do I download things from other countries now!? :p

Any opinions on Totems and/or Levee en Masse? Both on sale at the moment ($0.99 and $2.99 respectively).

Totems is prey neat, simple territories game. It's pretty simple, but interesting enough to be worth a dollar id say.

Never heard of the other game.

Smiley90

Superrobot asked the pocket tactics guys and they said I didn't have async :(

Sounds awesome to me, how do I download things from other countries now!? :p

Totems is prey neat, simple territories game. It's pretty simple, but interesting enough to be worth a dollar id say.

Never heard of the other game.

I asked the guy and he said if the beta goes well and he thinks their server can handle it, they might open the beta for Canada too! So we wait...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now that Rivals turned out to be a dud, what are some actual good board games coming out in the next few months?

Smiley90

Now that Rivals turned out to be a dud, what are some actual good board games coming out in the next few months?

Well, Playdek still has Smash Up in development... And that wargame they were making? Forgot the name.

Goku is probably bringing out RFTG :'( but fuck them :'(

I heard playdek might have canceled smash up. But I'm not sure if it was true.

I think I'm good for a whole on new stuff, eclipse has been amazing. Agricola is great too, I just find it hard to figure out what I'm doing in every game. Haha. Somehow it manages to be more complicated to keep track of than eclipse, which is crazy. Haha.

Edit: Smiley it's Goko not Goku. Haha. People won't be able to find info on this stuff if you type it wrong everytime. :p

Edit2: Actually, I've got a question.

Since there isn't much new games coming out soon (that we know if anyway), what board games do you want to come out? Obviously there is a lot out there, but what are some ones you would really like to play?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I think I'm good for a whole on new stuff, eclipse has been amazing. Agricola is great too, I just find it hard to figure out what I'm doing in every game. Haha. Somehow it manages to be more complicated to keep track of than eclipse, which is crazy. Haha.

Edit: Smiley it's Goko not Goku. Haha. People won't be able to find info on this stuff if you type it wrong everytime. :p

Since there isn't much new games coming out soon (that we know if anyway), what board games do you want to come out? Obviously there is a lot out there, but what are some ones you would really like to play?
Game state's pretty easy if you go to the A menu. You can even see cards. All the catching up I have to do in any game is just check my occs/improvements and previous worker placements. But it helps to know the cards though so you don't even have to read them.

Game state's pretty easy if you go to the A menu. You can even see cards. All the catching up I have to do in any game is just check my occs/improvements and previous worker placements. But it helps to know the cards though so you don't even have to read them.

It only shows the cards I've played though. So much depends on the cards I still have and what in working towards, that's my issue. It's mostly just from playing so many games at once and having so many different cards.

I mean it's fine, the game plays amazingly, and it's fuckloads of fun to play, I just find its taking me longer to take my turns in Agricola than it does in Eclipse, and hats funny as hell because eclipse has some serious server issues. Haha.

Smiley90

Psht, not like people should look them up anyway :p

Which boardgames do I want? For starters, a non-GOKO version of RFTG. 7 Wonders would make for an amazing online async game, too. (Especially with good ingame stat tracking, like the stat tracking apps already do). Small World and Catan will get online async soon, so that's good.

Through the Ages is owned by who?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It only shows the cards I've played though. So much depends on the cards I still have and what in working towards, that's my issue. It's mostly just from playing so many games at once and having so many different cards.

I mean it's fine, the game plays amazingly, and it's fuckloads of fun to play, I just find its taking me longer to take my turns in Agricola than it does in Eclipse, and hats funny as hell because eclipse has some serious server issues. Haha.

Yeah I hear you. I'm also biased because I've played a good amount of Agricola so checking played cards and hand takes ~10 seconds at most.

Psht, not like people should look them up anyway :p

Which boardgames do I want? For starters, a non-GOKO version of RFTG. 7 Wonders would make for an amazing online async game, too. (Especially with good ingame stat tracking, like the stat tracking apps already do). Small World and Catan will get online async soon, so that's good.

Through the Ages is owned by who?

Yeah, a real RFTG would be great, I hate that goko sucks so much. Playdek needs RFTG, they make great card games. I think 7 wonders sounds like an awesome code monkeys game. So simple and fun, it would be rad.

Totally forgot about small world 2, I guess that's probably out next big game.

The games I would really want would probably be CO2, Belfort and somehow make Power Grid work, but the bidding thing makes it more difficult.

Edit:
Yeah I hear you. I'm also biased because I've played a good amount of Agricola so checking played cards and hand takes ~10 seconds at most.

Yeah, I've only played Agricola 3 times, and each time with different decks, so knowing the cards is pretty impossible right now. Haha. I should bang out some games with the AI.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
7 Wonders would make for an amazing online async game, too. (Especially with good ingame stat tracking, like the stat tracking apps already do).

Oh my, yes it would. Wonder what the deal is with that. Please tell me someone is at least thinking about it. Those guys released the decent but sadly never updated Ghost Stories app, as well as the pretty 7W scoring app, but I think they must be doing development in house which doesn't bode well for getting a robust game unless they change that approach.

You want to talk about a wasted catalog though -- Fantasy Flight. Yikes.

Smiley90

Oh my, yes it would. Wonder what the deal is with that. Please tell me someone is at least thinking about it. Those guys released the decent but sadly never updated Ghost Stories app, as well as the pretty 7W scoring app, but I think they must be doing development in house which doesn't bode well for getting a robust game unless they change that approach.

You want to talk about a wasted catalog though -- Fantasy Flight. Yikes.

We play a round of 7 Wonders daily at work, it's so perfectly suited for async on top of being a lot of fun. You get 21-24 rounds of everybody doing something very simple (since the game state is very easy to verify and your cards change all the time so there's little knowledge about past moves needed), it'd be great. I hope somebody's working on it...

7 wonders is so much fun because you can crank out an awesome game of it with 7 people in 15 minutes. Haha.

Edit: take your turn in NH smiley! You can't hide from this loss forever!!

NeoJungle is hard and relies more on good tiles showing up than most other armies :(

Heel

Upcoming stuff that I know of:

Magic 2014 - Possibly on Wednesday

Ascension: Immortal Heroes expansion - In March Playdek said it was planned for June

Summoner Wars update - In May Playdek said it was planned for July

Small World 2 - Summer

Space Hulk - Summer

Wits and Wagers - Summer

Galaxy Trucker - Summer

Looks like the photocopied the game pieces. Heh. That's ok, the game is so fun I can't wait to play it. Though it will kind of lose a lot of the fun of playing it live, since you get to make fun of people's dumb fucking ships. Haha.

Li Kao

Eh, I will first answer for the forever alone side of me : I would like a King of Tokyo adaptation. Yeah, the whole affair with virtual dices would suck, but hey, forever alone...
But on a more serious note, why not A few acre of snow ? Seemed like a really cool game at the time.

CzarTim

No async makes these games really hard to play consistently.

How many people play TtR iPad edition? I know I never touch it, but I like to have a game or 2 of TtR Pocket going at all times.

I used to play a lot of live games with it. It has (or at least had) a good community, always had several games available.

blahness

I used to play a lot of live games with it. It has (or at least had) a good community, always had several games available.

I play it for the quick live game when I just want to play. It still has a good community because the iPad TtR app enables you to play against PC/Mac players.

I'm playing the worst and stupidest game of Agricola I've ever played or seen in my life.

It's round 8 and I already have 4 beggar cards, I have no clue how that happened. I don't even have the 2 free beggar occupation card either. Really stupid. Haha.

I'm playing the worst and stupidest game of Agricola I've ever played or seen in my life.

It's round 8 and I already have 4 beggar cards, I have no clue how that happened. I don't even have the 2 free beggar occupation card either. Really stupid. Haha.
If you are (or ever become) a parent, social services should keep a very close eye on you.

Oh man!!

Close game Blahness. I placed a few trains in really fucked up places. I mixed up my routes and your routes while switching from iPhone to iPad. Haha.

Good game.

Do you have the Swiss map? I want a reason to buy it :p

Oh man!!

Close game Blahness. I placed a few trains in really fucked up places. I mixed up my routes and your routes while switching from iPhone to iPad. Haha.

Good game.

I have it. It's mad.

Just got 56 points in Agricola solo mode. Had the Chief and the Master Builder so got to 6 stone rooms yielding 18 points which probably made the difference. Torched 11 sheep in one turn :)

blahness

Oh man!!

Good game.

That was a good game! I do have the Swiss map and it is different but fun. It is very easy to cut off or get your route cut off in Swiss which makes it a bit more stressful

AirBrian

Oh man!!

Good game.

I was quickly scrolling down and saw the 132-1 and the "close game" comment...oh man, that was almost some great trash talking.

Top Bottom