• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Heel

Wow, Umbral Edge + Penumbral Edge = godlike

If you have a lower cost construct to protect yourself from removal you've wrapped the game up. I can't think of anything more satisfyingly evil in Ascension.

Sorry Rood! :)

Anilones, you need to start planning out your moves in Nightfall before your drop card onto the playing field, haha. opening up our game to see you swap cards in and out for 5 minutes isnt very fun :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yay reunited with my ipad

jonbones & eznark it's your turns in neuroshima (know the game probably didn't make this obvious -- maybe you need to update?)

J0dy77

If you have a lower cost construct to protect yourself from removal you've wrapped the game up. I can't think of anything more satisfyingly evil in Ascension.

I've been hunting for that pair but can never seem to get both. Either one never comes out or it's too late in the game to take advantage.

Is that an achievement? It should be.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been hunting for that pair but can never seem to get both. Either one never comes out or it's too late in the game to take advantage.

Is that an achievement? It should be.

I is, I got it a while ago. Keep getting both from time to time :p had them both in a 4p game, but 4p offers too many opportunities to make opponents destroy constructs :(

Anilones

Anilones, you need to start planning out your moves in Nightfall before your drop card onto the playing field, haha. opening up our game to see you swap cards in and out for 5 minutes isnt very fun :p

You see all that?! That's a load of rubbish, I can understand when playing live but on asynchronous play that should be removed. I'll try to cut it out, but on very large hands it's difficult as I can't remember what colours all the cards are.

You see all that?! That's a load of rubbish, I can understand when playing live but on asynchronous play that should be removed. I'll try to cut it out, but on very large hands it's difficult as I can't remember what colours all the cards are.

Naw man! I like that I can see how people decide what to do, but your the only person I play with that pulls stuff in and out 10+ times, usually everyone else makes maybe 1 or 2 changes if any.

Heel

Just went back to base Ascension with sladeums and managed to build a deck with at least a dozen draw cards + banish and discard. I basically cycled through my whole deck every turn.

No one man should have all that power.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i almost wanna do a neuroshima tournament. do we have enough? i know slacker, duke, and flynn would be in. if we could get 8 that would be cool. could eliminate borgo :)D) and do random armies or something

THOUGHTS?

tm24

i almost wanna do a neuroshima tournament. do we have enough? i know slacker, duke, and flynn would be in. if we could get 8 that would be cool. could eliminate borgo :)D) and do random armies or something

THOUGHTS?

IM in crunch mode in school but im down. Still need to do some learning in the game though

Smiley90

THOUGHTS?

How? I'm in, but how? 1v1 bracket?

Plus there's a card game called Rage of Bahamut out if anyone wants to give it a try.

It's crap. (As in, looks really cool but the underlying mechanic is "click this button and let your monsters fight! click again to fill the quest bar more! oh no now you've run out of energy, come back later or buy more energy here!")

Smiley90

I still havent even gotten a chance to play Neuroshima after the update, but id be down for a tourney.

It's too much of a hassle for me to create a game and post links here, so I'm just waiting for other people to do the work for me. I just want to click and have it work. :(

Carcasonne: holy crap, I just beat the #26th ranked player in the world (their EOL was 1812 going into the game) in a game of Quick Play.

That shit was tense.

Davidion

Alright board game fans, newbie here. I got Puerto Rico, Ascension, love the latter a little more than the former; whereto next?

Was thinking Ticket to Ride and Catan but heard that latter's port's a bit janky and don't know how the former plays. Neuroshima looks kinda neat.

Hex and cards, people!!

Slacker

Alright board game fans, newbie here. I got Puerto Rico, Ascension, love the latter a little more than the former; whereto next?

Was thinking Ticket to Ride and Catan but heard that latter's port's a bit janky and don't know how the former plays. Neuroshima looks kinda neat.

Hex and cards, people!!

I never bought Catan, mainly because it lacks online multiplayer. I may snag it eventually and see if the wife will pass-n-play it with me.

I can whole-heartedly recommend both Ticket to Ride and Neuroshima Hex, though. Although neither app is without its annoyances. Ticket to Ride is my most-played iOS game by far. I'll play a quick game or two online almost every day. The only problem is the fact that it's not universal, so I have the "Pocket" version installed on the iPhone for play there. Also, the pocket version supports asyncronous online play, while the iPad doesn't. So I have the lo-res iPhone version installed on my iPad so I can play async games there. :p Annoying, but the game is great enough that I put up with it. I usually just play the iPad version, which is perfect for online live play and pass-n-play with the wife.

Neuroshima Hex is awesome. It's a tile placement strategy mechanic, and is definitely one of those 'easy to learn, difficult to master' type games. It is a blast to play, and has a ton of depth considering it can be played in under 30 minutes. I will be playing it for a long long time. The annoyance comes with the online play on the iOS devices. The notification system is a bit wonky, and when you look at the game list you can't tell which game it's your turn in. And I've had more than a few games end prematurely for various reasons. Hopefully they'll work the kinks out because it's great fun when it works.

The gold standard is still Carcassonne, so I hope it's on your radar. I hope Traders and Builders is coming soon for that.

Anyone else get hooked and order a physical copy of Neuroshima Hex yet? I'll be picking it up soon. :)

Davidion

I never bought Catan, mainly because it lacks online multiplayer. I may snag it eventually and see if the wife will pass-n-play it with me.

I can whole-heartedly recommend both Ticket to Ride and Neuroshima Hex, though. Although neither app is without its annoyances. Ticket to Ride is my most-played iOS game by far. I'll play a quick game or two online almost every day. The only problem is the fact that it's not universal, so I have the "Pocket" version installed on the iPhone for play there. Also, the pocket version supports asyncronous online play, while the iPad doesn't. So I have the lo-res iPhone version installed on my iPad so I can play async games there. :p Annoying, but the game is great enough that I put up with it. I usually just play the iPad version, which is perfect for online live play and pass-n-play with the wife.

Neuroshima Hex is awesome. It's a tile placement strategy mechanic, and is definitely one of those 'easy to learn, difficult to master' type games. It is a blast to play, and has a ton of depth considering it can be played in under 30 minutes. I will be playing it for a long long time. The annoyance comes with the online play on the iOS devices. The notification system is a bit wonky, and when you look at the game list you can't tell which game it's your turn in. And I've had more than a few games end prematurely for various reasons. Hopefully they'll work the kinks out because it's great fun when it works.

The gold standard is still Carcassonne, so I hope it's on your radar. I hope Traders and Builders is coming soon for that.

Anyone else get hooked and order a physical copy of Neuroshima Hex yet? I'll be picking it up soon. :)

Thanks!

Carcassone is on my radar thought for whatever reason I've always been hesitant to buy it. I think it has to do with the fact that I learned about it the same time as Catan and Catan just stuck harder.

Ticket to Ride I'll probably jump on. No iphone here and don't plan on getting one, so it'll have to be ipad only. I saw the whole thing about lack of asynchronous play, guess I'll have to find out how important it is when I get it.

kennah

On a nine hour r bus ride all day today. Hitme up for ttr pocket, ascension (all
expansions), and carc (all exp)

Gc kenchuK

Smiley90

Carcasonne: holy crap, I just beat the #26th ranked player in the world (their EOL was 1812 going into the game) in a game of Quick Play.

That shit was tense.

BOW BEFORE YOUR KING GAF.

Also, impressive usage of formatting there. Italics, bold AND underscore. Nice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
NH is so fun. I never tried the new armies before (own the tabletop and all expansions) but they are great. Shame the async is wonky but it's worth it, and the live game is fantastic. Funny how out of like 25-30 people online live seems that there are always 2-4 gaffers. Thread representing :D

I forgot to post this haha. When you got the second Edge I was like "well game over".

I'm in the process of moving so I might take a little longer for turn taking in the following weeks (Carc, Ascension, Hero, N. Hex), relying on my work's wifi currently. My apologies.

bonesquad

Grrr. And my next hand wasn't much better. 2 battles and 1 unit.

7UdRn.jpg

besada

Banned
Holy shit, the Nemesis card just saved my ass. I squeaked out a win against Superrobot on the last play by liberating three monsters, converting them into more cards and buying a bunch of one pointers to get over. Woo!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hit me up for some neuroshima games (2P)!

Game 1 (in this one I am the leaf guys)
Game 2 (NY guys)

That shit was tense.

Nice. I bailed on Carc quickplay after I hit like 1450 or something Elo? Just found it stressful but it's a very good way to learn the game the hard way. :D

Yeah none of these games hold my attention like Carc does. I love that damn game.

I got bored of Carc months ago :S

That game works so well, its still the best iOS MP game out there just based on how well everything just works.

All the randomness in these games really kills it for me. I hate losing just because the other person gets all the right tiles in the right order, while im stuck with strait road pieces or something. Or they have 1 rune at 9 power and the field is full of heroes and constructs, but the 1 rune cost hero they pickup unveils an Avatar, so they then pickup the Hedron Cannon. It just bugs me after a while.

I deal much better with random draws for their hand or dice rolls (unless its vs the CPU, cause they cheat :p ).

I like Samurai a lot still, except playing against you Yaboosh, you win every match ive seen you in, so I hate you now :p

Also, just finished my first online match in NH (and my first match in months!). Im not sure how you didnt shoot my base for huge damage though Astro! you shot something infront of it instead. It seemed like a bullshit win for me, sorry :(

Edit: roger roger, joined it up Astro.

NH chat sucks btw, and Nightfall/Ascension lack of chat sucks too. I need more chat!

edit2: Damn close match in Nightfall too Astro. good times. Im still loving this game, The big thing for me, is I still feel like im learning something in losses.

Smiley90

I'm down to only 2 Carc games, need some invites!

Also I think both your games have been filled astro, right? Because the links didn't work for me..

Smiley90

Yeah, both were me. We finished game 2, and now were starting game 1.

Edit: let's fight smiley! nshex://g/471/B64D09BECEBC4FACAFBF810C6B52502F , only one catch though! You have to take your turns in TTR before I start it. :p

-flips table-

EDIT: WTF how do I have like 8 games open in TTR. It's funny how you can't DENY a game invite in that game, you're just... "in it", suddenly. And even without notice. I'm suddenly in a game with 4 people whose names I've never heard of. (No offence)

EDIT2: your link isns't working... :/ It doesn't properly link to the game. :/

EDIT3: Just saw what the link was actually to, YOU'RE A JERK. (If that was on purpose.)

-flips table-

EDIT: WTF how do I have like 8 games open in TTR. It's funny how you can't DENY a game invite in that game, you're just... "in it", suddenly. And even without notice. I'm suddenly in a game with 4 people whose names I've never heard of. (No offence)

EDIT2: your link isns't working... :/ It doesn't properly link to the game. :/

EDIT3: Just saw what the link was actually to, YOU'RE A JERK. (If that was on purpose.)

It wasn't on purpose I swear! I just wasnt paying attention and put the wrong things in the wrong spots! It should be fixed now.

Smiley90

It wasn't on purpose I swear! I just wasnt paying attention and put the wrong things in the wrong spots! It should be fixed now.

LOL alright. It looked as if you were PRETENDING to post a NSHEX link that was actually just a bait to make me do TTR turns.

EDIT: YOU'RE AN OILERS FAN? Oh this isn't gonna end well.

LOL alright. It looked as if you were PRETENDING to post a NSHEX link that was actually just a bait to make me do TTR turns.

EDIT: YOU'RE AN OILERS FAN? Oh this isn't gonna end well.

It's gonna end better than your last 2 years in the playoffs! Ooooooohhhhhhh buuuuurrrrrn.

But yeah, I live in Edmonton, oilers fan for life!
even if they have been horrible for years :(

Smiley90

It's gonna end better than your last 2 years in the playoffs! Ooooooohhhhhhh buuuuurrrrrn.

But yeah, I live in Edmonton, oilers fan for life!
even if they have been horrible for years :(

... You're... making fun of us in the playoffs after getting the Nr1 draft pick 3 years in a row and STILL being the worst (pardon, second worst, but Columbus hardly counts) team in the league? BRING IT ON.

I've only been living in Vancouver for like 3 years ;)

also, When is this mighty "Orion" that the Dominion-devs were reffering to? Not like it matters, since it's not coming out until December anyway. (anti-jinx)

... You're... making fun of us in the playoffs after getting the Nr1 draft pick 3 years in a row and STILL being the worst (pardon, second worst, but Columbus hardly counts) team in the league? BRING IT ON.

I've only been living in Vancouver for like 3 years ;)

also, When is this mighty "Orion" that the Dominion-devs were reffering to? Not like it matters, since it's not coming out until December anyway. (anti-jinx)

Yeah man! Cause the oilers are supposed to be bad right now, where as the Canucks are one of the best teams in the league! I'm happy about where the oilers are headed, bright future ahead! :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey if anyone wants some regular NH games, PM me your email and i'll add you to my contact list. Right now playing pretty regularly with Flynn and Ray. Love this game.

I do think it's like Caylus though -- no turn for 3 days and game goes away. Not as big of a deal for this though since imo it's really a 2P game.

Top Bottom