• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I remember a game, no idea who it was against, where both me and my opponent stacked Mystics and no Infantry. We had like 10 turns where we would only be drawing mystics because the center was full of 5+ strength monsters and neither of us wanted to bend first. :(

i think that was our game, though maybe it's a common thing :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wow just finished a game in which I had NO apprentices/militias/mystics/infantry in my hand. Did my last turn, looked at my deck and realized I had NONE at all. THought it was a display error, then noticed I banished all of them. Wow. And never even DREW mystics/infantry, just kept drawing center cards. And I won, too, lol.

Wow just finished a game in which I had NO apprentices/militias/mystics/infantry in my hand. Did my last turn, looked at my deck and realized I had NONE at all. THought it was a display error, then noticed I banished all of them. Wow. And never even DREW mystics/infantry, just kept drawing center cards. And I won, too, lol.

Bah! :p

Heel

Hah! This should be an achievement.

sladeums

I believe sladeums may have my number in SoS. Fun games though, I'm learning...I think? lol

lol
No ... I think you're just new(ish) to the game.

I'm not all that very great.
But with your help I'm slowly crawling towards a .500 average!

Thanks Heel!

Damn, my crazy plan of just buying stuff and not getting any stars (honour points? I forget what they are called. Haha) didn't work against superrobot :(.

Lost like 80 - 107 :'(

Damn, my crazy plan of just buying stuff and not getting any stars (honour points? I forget what they are called. Haha) didn't work against superrobot :(.

Lost like 80 - 107 :'(
Felt like it was yours for the taking until I realised you weren't going for stars. Must be an achievement for that.
Trouble was with only me getting the stars the game became prolonged. The fanatic event helped.

Felt like it was yours for the taking until I realised you weren't going for stars. Must be an achievement for that.
Trouble was with only me getting the stars the game became prolonged. The fanatic event helped.

Yeah, I could tell when you noticed too, since your turns started taking at least 10-15 seconds longer :p

I dont know if there is an achievement for it or not, I just thought it would be fun to try out. Id say it was, but like most tactics in Ascension you cant go 100% into it, you pretty much HAVE to deviate from it a little bit if you actually want to win, unless the person your playing with doesnt notice what your doing, and helps feed you the right cards accidently.

NJ Shlice

Ok I want into this, but I don't know how to play any of these games.

What's a popular game you guys are playing that won't be too difficult for me to learn?

I dont care what type of game it is.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok I want into this, but I don't know how to play any of these games.

What's a popular game you guys are playing that won't be too difficult for me to learn?

I dont care what type of game it is.

Carcassonne for sure. Ticket to Ride is also a good one but the notifications are a little borked so far fewer people play it than Ascension or TTR (fewer gaffers at least).

Vard

Just realized I had in-app purchases disabled on my device for some reason. That's why I couldn't buy the Ascension expansion. D'oh.

If I had to get just 1 Ascension expansion for now, which one do you guys recommend? Leaning towards Return of the Fallen just because it's half the price.

tm24

Just realized I had in-app purchases disabled on my device for some reason. That's why I couldn't buy the Ascension expansion. D'oh.

If I had to get just 1 Ascension expansion for now, which one do you guys recommend? Leaning towards Return of the Fallen just because it's half the price.

Storm of Souls!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is ascension friendly to card novices? Always been put off deck building games by the apparent complexity, but is it just a case of jumping in and trying it out?

And is there any logic/reasoning to why TTR pocket has async but the iPad version doesn't?

Smiley90

Is ascension friendly to card novices? Always been put off deck building games by the apparent complexity, but is it just a case of jumping in and trying it out?

And is there any logic/reasoning to why TTR pocket has async but the iPad version doesn't?

As long as Dominion isn't out, it's probably one of the easiest CCG in the appstore (and definitely the best), so I'd say yes. It might be a BIT hard to get into, but once you get all the mechanics it's fine, then it's all about developing and executing strategies.

As for your second question: no.

sladeums

Along with the Neuroshima Hex update all their titles and IAP are on sale :

• Neuroshima Hex $2.99 (normally $4.99)
    • New York army $0.99 (normally $1.99)
    • Neojungle army $0.99 (normally $1.99)
  • Neuroshima Hex: Puzzle $0.99 (normally $2.99)
  • Army of Frogs HD – FREE (normally $2.99)
  • Caylus $2.99 (normally $4.99)

Smiley90

Ah wtf Neuroshima Hex no gamecenter-multiplayer, I hate it already. This had so much potential, goddamnit -.- going to bed now, my Hex nickname is Smiley90 if anyone figures out what to do, send me an invite. Damn you Hex, screwing up the ONE thing you had to do.

Ah wtf Neuroshima Hex no gamecenter-multiplayer, I hate it already. This had so much potential, goddamnit -.- going to bed now, my Hex nickname is Smiley90 if anyone figures out what to do, send me an invite. Damn you Hex, screwing up the ONE thing you had to do.

They tweeted that they will fix a push notification bug which will be rolled out in an update tomorrow.

J0dy77

Came in the thread excited about the Nueroshima update and price to go along with it... then the no "Gamecenter" support comments. Think I'll pick it up anyway but my expectations have been tempered.

Came in the thread excited about the Nueroshima update and price to go along with it... then the no "Gamecenter" support comments. Think I'll pick it up anyway but my expectations have been tempered.

I bought all the DLC and I will still play it... but I will NOT be happy about it! haha.

Man, your avatar reminds me how horrible the art in Ascension is, seriously every card in that game is either a mess conceptually, or looks like a child in elementary drew it... or both, actually its usually both. I would pay 5 bucks for an art pack that redraws all the cards.

I think the lack of sleep this weekend has made me cranky :p

J0dy77

I bought all the DLC and I will still play it... but I will NOT be happy about it! haha.

Man, your avatar reminds me how horrible the art in Ascension is, seriously every card in that game is either a mess conceptually, or looks like a child in elementary drew it... or both, actually its usually both. I would pay 5 bucks for an art pack that redraws all the cards.

I think the lack of sleep this weekend has made me cranky :p

I've heard that opinion a lot and can definitely see your point. But there's something about the basic and understated Ascension artwork, I like it a lot. It's a different style and definitely more basic than you would see in most fantasy themes. I really like cards like Kythis, the Gatekeeper, Landtalker and Artha Templar.

Edit: I'll pick up Neuroshima based on all the GAF love, I'll send out some invites once I know what the heck is going on.

I've heard that opinion a lot and can definitely see your point. But there's something about the basic and understated Ascension artwork, I like it a lot. It's a different style and definitely more basic than you would see in most fantasy themes. I really like cards like Kythis, the Gatekeeper, Landtalker and Artha Templar.

Edit: I'll pick up Neuroshima based on all the GAF love, I'll send out some invites once I know what the heck is going on.

Yeah, I dunno. I really enjoy the lines a lot of the time, its an interesting art style and certainly stands out, I just think the guy flat out cant draw. He cant keep the art style, just learn how perspective works, and body forms, haha. It is getting better though, SoS is a huge improvement, most of it is pretty decent.

But go back and look at the CotG stuff, Arha Initiate, Tablet of Time, Wolf Shaman (drunk looking dog, haha), Arbiter of Precipice, Muramasa, these are all pretty horrible. They really do look like junior high drawings. They look like first drafts and rough sketch work, I would cut him more slack if it was just and iOS game, but the fact that they got printed on to physical cards is ridiculous.

I dunno, im sitting here lookin at all these cards, and I gave the guy to much hate for his work, most of this SoS stuff is pretty decent, there is consistency with the art work, and really shows a unique style. Its a pretty big step up.

Also, luckily all the art is distinct from card to card, so good or not, you can tell what each card is fairly quickly. Plus the game itself is awesome, so it doesnt matter much in the end anyway. :p

Anyway! carry on Neuroshima Hex ! woo!

Vard

Cool, will pick up Storm of Souls (and probably RotF) eventually.

Ended up just buying Neuroshima Hex though, due to the multiplayer update and sale. I have over $100 in iTunes gift card money but I still stay quite selective with my purchases to keep my backlog in check.

Drone

Testing out the Neuroshima Hex invite system. Click this link on your iOS device to join a 4 player private game just for NeoGaf.

nshex://g/334/77E4C9F20BBE499EA1ED44C62921B6EB

You can get these links from the invitation email button, I'm hoping it will work this way too.

[Edit] Doesn't seem like it works - if I click my own link it says the game doesn't exist. Perhaps the game isn't created unless you actually invite some people with real email addresses. I guess you just have to know someone's email address to make a private game with them.

Zia

Do you guys play with the Carcassonne expansions? We just got back into playing it and I'm thinking about grabbing the expansions, but I wasn't sure if they diluted the core game or improved upon it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gah, well since gamecenter often sucks and is unreliable it's not a total loss

can someone be the designated repository of email addresses and then make a Google doc to share with that group or something?

no GC worked for Carc for a year so we can make it work :p

Slacker

Do you guys play with the Carcassonne expansions? We just got back into playing it and I'm thinking about grabbing the expansions, but I wasn't sure if they diluted the core game or improved upon it.

Yes we do. The Inns and Cathedrals expansion is a must. The River is ok but doesn't add that much to the game. Probably worth the $0.99 though to not get excluded from invites occasionally.

Anybody play Caylus? Looks like Carcassonne...Oh god, did I just do something blasphemous in this thread?

Caylus is a brilliant board game with a just so-so iOS implementation. The multiplayer system is really clunky so it's hard to get a game completed. Hopefully the devs will get to work on it now that the NS Hex update is out.

bonesquad

Not that I didn't believe people, but I tested Neuroshima Hex out on my devices and was able to start a game from a link that wasn't sent to the same email address as my NH account.

If you want to try again, try joining this game:

nshex://g/378/20087A1CB4FC4EA4A2653E4A1A621E6D

That said, this email system is terrible. You have to know someone's email, you have to enter it in each time you want to play, and you get no notifications of game invites outside of checking your email. So disappointing. Which is a shame because the one random game I just tried playing was so much fun (even though I got destoried:)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey bonesquad how do you get the link to work when you are creator? i create private game, send invite (to myself to get link) but then i can't seem to back out of screen and when i exit game it's not there anymore it seems

i just want to post a bunch of 2p-game links

bonesquad

hey bonesquad how do you get the link to work when you are creator? i create private game, send invite (to myself to get link) but then i can't seem to back out of screen and when i exit game it's not there anymore it seems

i just want to post a bunch of 2p-game links

Like you said but after you send the email you need to select your faction and accept the game. Once you do that 'resign' will be replaced with 'back' to return to the game.

Yeah, it isn't great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Like you said but after you send the email you need to select your faction and accept the game. Once you do that 'resign' will be replaced with 'back' to return to the game.

Yeah, it isn't great.

It's coo, I can deal actually but then again it's basically what Carcassonne was back in the day. Wish you could do random armies but I'll just cycle through them I suppose.

Top Bottom