• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Theme of my most recent Nightfall game with Astro:

3omnqu.jpg

Backfired BRUTALLY. I only wanted to get one out there and BAM he empties his whole hand :(

Zerrrrrg!

I love Zerg and NY. I could play that matchup all day.

You definitely make them seem extremely powerful, thats for sure. haha.

Man, Zombie horde is pretty crazy if you get the right combo going. Just had a SUPER huge turn vs Smiley. 14 Damage in 1 attack, he blocked a bunch too, so it woulda been worse!!

Smiley90

You definitely make them seem extremely powerful, thats for sure. haha.

Man, Zombie horde is pretty crazy if you get the right combo going. Just had a SUPER huge turn vs Smiley. 14 Damage in 1 attack, he blocked a bunch too, so it woulda been worse!!

Yeah I had one like that a WHILE ago too (hardly ever play with it on), if you get them out during your opponent's turn they're crazy, because they can get sooo much damage. But really only on your opponent's turn, since if you get them out on your own they're an easy target.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Theme of my most recent Nightfall game with Astro:
Backfired BRUTALLY. I only wanted to get one out there and BAM he empties his whole hand :(

Haha was pretty much on the other end of this with Ray at the same time. Game is hilarious -- it really often is about gearing up for that one big shot. Although sometimes a couple hands in you can kinda tell you're in trouble. Usually if you have no sync by your third or fourth hand, i.e. if the cards you buy break poorly and your opponent's don't.

Smiley90

Haha was pretty much on the other end of this with Ray at the same time. Game is hilarious -- it really often is about gearing up for that one big shot.

And getting the right loop-combo at the right time, AND your opponent giving you an oppening. I swear I'm in some 3p games right now where BOTH my opponents can get like 3,4 cards out EACH and I don't even have a card to connect. By the end of their turns they both have like 7 cards out each and I'm stuck with 0 because I had no color. FML.

Slacker

I'll PM you tomorrow, Astro. Got my real-life game night tonight (Risk Legacy marathon alert). I'm definitely up for some more NS Hex games, though.

Heel

Astro, that last Ascension game really hurt my soul. I hope you're happy.

That monster that let you steal one of my cards prevented me from getting that big mechana construct.

One point. FU.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Issuing a challenge to GAF: Beat Ghost Stories on Normal with random everything (4P). :D Not a firsties thing; I'll just be impressed if anyone can do it.

Going to be spending a little while myself trying it out....

besada

Banned
The beating Superrobot put on me this afternoon was like watching a five year old box Mike Tyson. I could not get it together, and he was throwing down these ridiculous streams of cards. Something lie 107 to 51. Ouch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Issuing a challenge to GAF: Beat Ghost Stories on Normal with random everything (4P). :D Not a firsties thing; I'll just be impressed if anyone can do it.

Going to be spending a little while myself trying it out....

Yeah boyee! And it only took me like three hours of playing today to finally win on Normal w/ random elements. About chucked the iPad when I accidentally selected a green token when I needed a yellow one to defeat the Incarnation, but somehow I survived the extra round needed to recover from that mistake. And I didn't lose a Taoist ever, which is actually shocking to me (though I was basically playing by the skin of my teeth from Turn 10 on).

a7wXh.jpg

(I didn't even know the game kept track of "bad choices." 5? I'll take it. Especially since at least two were mistakes.)

xOSJa.jpg

Next up, Nightmare! (Oh God, that will probably take me 100+ games to get a win in.)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good sir Astrolad, explain this Ghost Stories to me!

Hmm, it's kinda tricky hahah.

But basically it's a 4p co-op where each person (or one person) controls one of four taoists each with a special ability. each taoist has his own board which gets populated with ghosts (up to 3). in the middle there are nine tiles arranged in a square -- each represents a villager that has a power. on your turn you can either fight ghosts or use a villager ability. you have to survive the ghost onslaught until you get to the "incarnation" which is a super-powerful ghost. beat that, survive, and you win.

rest is just details :D

edit: actually this guy's tutorial series is pretty comprehensive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=onDMxKH6sjo#! about 35m or so but worth it for what is imo the best co-op board game out there

The beating Superrobot put on me this afternoon was like watching a five year old box Mike Tyson. I could not get it together, and he was throwing down these ridiculous streams of cards. Something lie 107 to 51. Ouch.

Ha ha. It did seem like a good run of cards.
Never to be repeated.

One of the best solitaire games too if you play it (Ghost Stories) by yourself.

I can only imagine how much easier the book keeping must be when playing this on the ipad.
That said I've been spurred into getting this down off the top of the bookcase for a couple of solo sessions soon.

Smiley90

I am now 2-0 against Astro in Nhex. I should really stop playing now, shouldn't I?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Two random notes:

-Nightfall is on sale on Amazon for $20. I almost pulled the trigger but heard they are coming out with a combined game + 1st expansion (which will undoubtedly cost more than $20 of course). But still that's a great price if you're into the game.

-Man it would be sooooo amazing if Culdcept came out on iOS. And I'm still a believer in some form of traditional portable gaming (i.e., a nerd), but some games were just meant for the platform. Namely brilliant card-based stuff like Culdcept and Metal Gear Ac!d (ugh if only Konami brought out an Ac!d game instead of that crappy flash thing).

Neuroshima Hex: God damn I hate Borgo. One decently timed Net Fighter and it's game over. Oh and never mind because there are two in the damn deck. I think balancing Borgo would be pretty easy though -- just take out a Net Fighter and replace him with a grunt.

tm24

Two random notes:

-Nightfall is on sale on Amazon for $20. I almost pulled the trigger but heard they are coming out with a combined game + 1st expansion (which will undoubtedly cost more than $20 of course). But still that's a great price if you're into the game.

-Man it would be sooooo amazing if Culdcept came out on iOS. And I'm still a believer in some form of traditional portable gaming (i.e., a nerd), but some games were just meant for the platform. Namely brilliant card-based stuff like Culdcept and Metal Gear Ac!d (ugh if only Konami brought out an Ac!d game instead of that crappy flash thing).

Neuroshima Hex: God damn I hate Borgo. One decently timed Net Fighter and it's game over. Oh and never mind because there are two in the damn deck. I think balancing Borgo would be pretty easy though -- just take out a Net Fighter and replace him with a grunt.

Oh god, as a Culdcept fanboy, i would abandon every game ever for Culdcept. WOuld love to finally play Ac!d too

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nightfall update incoming :D

(no idea what they're adding but here's hoping maybe a little expansion action, some Next Game functionality like Ascension, etc.)

Smiley90

Nightfall update incoming :D

(no idea what they're adding but here's hoping maybe a little expansion action, some Next Game functionality like Ascension, etc.)

Probably/hopefully ascension features like next game AND MOST IMPORTANTLY being able to look at your deck. Would make multiplayer soooo much better.

Main reason I want an expansion is so that most cards actually combo well, e.g. A lot of cards have NO card in the deck to evem activate their kicker etc.

Smiley90

• Improved tutorial flow and text
• Improved rule book text and layout
• Improved interface presentation
• Minor bug fixes

Nothing big? Disappointing :( what does "interface presentation" mean, on iphone? Anyone who updated able to tell me?

sladeums

Nothing big? Disappointing :( what does "interface presentation" mean, on iphone? Anyone who updated able to tell me?

The card count numbers are now white instead of yellow, you can dig through your deck as well as discards now, card "suits" appear in your hand instead of being obscured when you have a ton of cards ...
Also seems to move a lot slower and more prominently show what the other player is picking from library.

Bout all I noticed so far.

Smiley90

The card count numbers are now white instead of yellow, you can dig through your deck as well as discards now, card "suits" appear in your hand instead of being obscured when you have a ton of cards ...
Also seems to move a lot slower and more prominently show what the other player is picking from library.

Bout all I noticed so far.

Perfect, one of the two things I hoped for at least!

Smiley90

Wow they DID lower animation speed. Looks pretty bad though IMHO, the same amout of frames but more time = lower framerate = looks choppy. IF you make it slower you have to compensate with more frames, otherwise it ends up looking as crappy as it does now. Not good, I hope they hotfix that shit soon.

EDIT: not only gamespeed, but EVERY animation is slowed, even menu, I really hope that's just a bug that'll get hotfixed

butzopower

proud of his butz

I would kill for iOS Culdcept. Did you play PSO Ep 3 at all? I would commit murder for a port of that, too. Most JTCGs I've played were pretty brilliant, though they'd be a pain async.

Manik

So I finally jumped in on Carcassonne after some umm'ing and ahh'ing. First time player, but planning to get some games going when I get the hang of it.

What's the preferred route with the expansions? I notice there are two but wasn't sure which would be best to grab for online play. Or is the base game generally enough to begin with?

So I finally jumped in on Carcassonne after some umm'ing and ahh'ing. First time player, but planning to get some games going when I get the hang of it.

What's the preferred route with the expansions? I notice there are two but wasn't sure which would be best to grab for online play. Or is the base game generally enough to begin with?

Base is probably fine for now, while you get used to the game.
Play the count and countess in offline mode too - they are really annoying (stealing roads and cities).

With Inns you get a big meople which counts as 2 when you play it,
inns double your road scores but you must complete them to score,
cathedrals tiles also double (?) the city score but the cities must be completed to score.

River expansion adds extra river tiles which are laid out before the rest of the game.
These add a few bridges and a bridged city tile spanning the river.
The River probably will create more farms as opposed to the base game which can make it hard to battle over one big farm.

Manik

Base is probably fine for now, while you get used to the game.
Play the count and countess in offline mode too - they are really annoying (stealing roads and cities).

With Inns you get a big meople which counts as 2 when you play it,
inns double your road scores but you must complete them to score,
cathedrals tiles also double (?) the city score but the cities must be completed to score.

River expansion adds extra river tiles which are laid out before the rest of the game.
These add a few bridges and a bridged city tile spanning the river.
The River probably will create more farms as opposed to the base game which can make it hard to battle over one big farm.

That's brilliant, thanks very much; clears up a lot of questions that I had! Will have a play about on it this evening and see how it goes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else having notification issues? I feel like my Carc notifications and maybe even some others aren't coming through. Nightfall update probably broke everything. :p

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anyone else having notification issues? I feel like my Carc notifications and maybe even some others aren't coming through. Nightfall update probably broke everything. :p

Yep, your post just made me check Carc and I had three games waiting on me, no notifications. Weird.

Smiley90

NHex no undo is SO frustrating. I was just testing stuff out and it SOMEHOW just placed it, my finger was nowhere near the okay and now it's in the worst spot possible. And no undo. fuck that -,- losing me the game because of a game-glitch and no undo possible. -.-

Top Bottom