• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

tm24

Ugh, i really dont know if i want to jump in on a game that could cost me more money in the future. I dont know what to do

butzopower

proud of his butz
Ugh, i really dont know if i want to jump in on a game that could cost me more money in the future. I dont know what to do
Buy it and have self control in the future. There will most likely be plenty of opportunities to play casually, and we'll see how the unlock system works.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It was Garfield + Gary that suckered me in. Mostly Garfield but Gary himself has also shown himself to be a pro with how great Ascension plays on iOS.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Shiiit you guys. I backed 25 and that was my higher level of spending. Wow. I can buy 50 apps for 100 dollars wow. Student :(

tm24

Buy it and have self control in the future. There will most likely be plenty of opportunities to play casually, and we'll see how the unlock system works.

I wish they would talk more about the marketplace and what the ingame currency buys. If its like AC: Recollections, i would be down for that

Smiley90

You and Grifter can play the first game in the losers bracket now!

waitwait, you're saying... I have to play.. against Diesel... AGAIN?!?! AFTER HE BEAT ME TWICE IN THE CARC TOURNEY? -flips table-

Third time's the charm man, this means war. After our current game is over. :D

tm24

2 miracle dice rolls with my malevolence carries my vanguards to 2nd place in Group C. What a game kosh. What a game!

OK, here's the current standing for the next round

Group A:
Hereafter
Mercviper

Group B
Smiley
Blackflag?

Group C
Eznark
Tm24

Group D
Astrolad
Last slot is still up for grab. If Czartim wins that last matchup versus bonesquad, he wins the second slot

Heel

Hey guys, how do you win in Ascension? I forgot. In exchange I'll tell you how to lose by a few points every time you play.

blackflag

Mhmmm, I think my game with Slacker just timed out? I was one turn away from a guaranteed win anyway (his units were all frozen and he had no cards left), but still... Seems like our group is the most inactive :/ tempted to just call all games against chico&slacker forfeit-wins unless they magically reappear? Are all other groups done but ours? Organizer, you decide.

Mine is about to time out with. Him as well.

Kosh

2 miracle dice rolls with my malevolence carries my vanguards to 2nd place in Group C. What a game kosh. What a game!

Good game. I need to remember to close off those walls along midfield. That's twice I allowed a summoning to get straight to my summoner.

bonesquad

Group D
Astrolad
Last slot is still up for grab. If Czartim wins that last matchup versus bonesquad, he wins the second slot

Sorry about that, but the game is started now. If I win though (and lose my other one) we'd end up needing a tie breaker... big if:) You're going down Czartim!

I've grown to enjoy playing as FK as well. Phantom's haven't worked at all for me though, in at least 10-12 tries it hit once. I'm 3-2 so far with FK in this tournament, but as noted I have two games left stuck as them. Glad I moved to mainly FK from my previous favorite PE for this because I think I've had 4 games vs. PE now. :)

mercviper

Carc: Got about 9 tiles left in my game with MikeWorks. It's really close and the board is set up so that there's a couple tiles that will swing the lead from questionable to losing or winning iirc.

LC: I got the GC invite from Justjeff but I didn't accept it yet. Saw it and got distracted and then forgot about it lol.

SW: Roodiculous hadn't responded to our last game as of a day or two ago, but I won the first a while ago and I have the 2nd place spot secured in this group so I'm not really worried about if I finish this one or not.

Will try to finish all these before I go on vacation this weekend.

Re: Ascension

I find it best to grab deck thinners early, and go for straight energy/triangle heroes if you can nab a couple of banish cards too for when the board gets filled with monsters, or if your opponent has the potential to grab that 8 energy card the turn after you cannot. Don't be shy to buy attack constructs either. This is strat is even better in the expansions since there's more cards that will help you convert your energy into attack to defeat monsters. Also remember that in the last 15 stars or so remaining, you should be buying cards that have the best energy/star ratios since you probably won't see them again after buying.

Ratio guide: Energy/star
<1:1 Super!! Must Buy!
1:1 Also great! Buy this!
2:1 Meh. Same ratio as warriors, so don't buy unless you will have 3-4 energy leftover to buy whatever falls after it.
2+:1 Yeah... just let your opponent knock this out of the way or banish it.

Also, for early buying: Assess what's on the board and pretend that's all you're going to get. Then buy the cheapest thing on the board that you want to get this turn FIRST, because what falls may change your mind and this way you have the most energy to grab it. e.g. If you have 4 energy and see a 3 cost card and a 1 cost card that you want to get, grab the 1 cost first, because another 3 cost that you value more than the original may fall, and if you got it the other way around then you can't afford it.

Edit: Just realized you were probably sarcastic. Oh well. Information is still good for any newbies to Ascension. Also, my games list in ascension is down to like 3! Need more invites!

AirBrian

Sorry, O is supposed to be you own the expansions. Which I guess is confusing. :p I could swear this was described on the sheet at one point but will add it back.

Some day I think we should switch it around to be more intuitive.

O = Own
X = own + own eXpansions

Just a thought. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, it's semi-confusing now but I think all the O's make it a little clear what the default is. It was a battle of defaults as X is a traditional default in this scenario but the existence of expansions complicated things. :p

Ha ha.
All they need (if they can't get notifications to work like Carcassonne) is to implement some sort of nudge system. Opt in if necessary.
After x days without a move allow the other players to send a nudge. How hard can it be ;)
I'll leave the technical details to Codito and Days of Wonder.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Hey guys, how do you win in Ascension? I forgot. In exchange I'll tell you how to lose by a few points every time you play.

I usually start by going to the lobby, pressing create new game. Then I hit invite friend, and pick [Slade]. Then all you have to do is hit start, and the game basically plays itself.

Lost Cities tournament:

Squirrel Killer and I finished our game, which I won 50 - 33, though the game was much closer than that score indicates.

Kosh

Started 11 matches trying to learn Fallen Kingdoms. It's like some kind of graveyard dredge magic deck I guess. So far not going too well. I already lost to Hereafter, of course.

Hereafter

Gone. Doesn't exist.

Where is it in your game?

Bottom right.

O6Blgl.jpg

Flynn

There's a weird gut check you have to make early in the game where you decide whether you want to tech up your fighty side, mana side or find some median between the two. Controlling what the other player gets via smart banishment of cards in the shared area is kind of key as well. Can't let that person run away with monster kills or big mechanas.

Smiley90

There's a weird gut check you have to make early in the game where you decide whether you want to tech up your fighty side, mana side or find some median between the two. Controlling what the other player gets via smart banishment of cards in the shared area is kind of key as well. Can't let that person run away with monster kills or big mechanas.

I think Heel was trying to be sarcastic, he used to dominate and has now lost a bit of his mojo ;)

Heel

Hey guys, Ticket to Ride Pocket is free at the moment. Grab it if you don't have it already, even if you just have an iPad.

Heel

You should send me an invite, I'll try to show you.
lol

I usually start by going to the lobby, pressing create new game. Then I hit invite friend, and pick [Slade]. Then all you have to do is hit start, and the game basically plays itself.

lol

Yeah I read the post and thought it was a new person, and then I realized it was Heel and thought to myself, "Wasn't he wrecking everybody before?"

lol yeah just being self deprecating. On a huge skid, probably from playing the same good players over and over again. Plus I think I've been committing to Mechana constructs way too often? Not sure.

Top Bottom