• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I've had to order a lightning cable to keep at work.

I considered buying a wall plug for it too but I won't even post the price Apple charge for them because its too vile. I'll find some third party version.

First off, NFC doesn't really look for the bump. You don't actually need to touch the phones together, and the accelerometer is not used. The range is very short (like I said, about an inch or less, between my phone and my tablet ~1cm seems about as far away as they can be) so for the purpose of telling people who have never used it, it's easier to just say you need to tap the devices together. NFC does not use much power so you can leave it on all the time. (This is part of the reason why the range is so short, if you were generating a large enough field to power a passive tag from a few feet away, you'd kill your battery really quickly.) I may get this wrong but my understanding of it is that your phone is obviously an active NFC antenna (can send/receive and initiate connections) and there are also passive NFC antennas (basically RFID, you see these in NFC enabled posters and stickers).

Passive NFC needs to be powered wirelessly by an active NFC antenna. Again, this is why the range is short. The active antenna induces a current in the passive antenna with a magnetic field, and this gives the passive antenna enough juice to chirp back a small amount of data. This is how things like RFID entry badges/keycards and tags work, too.

Passive NFC can be used for obvious stuff like putting URLs on posters and stuff. But I've seen NFC stickers for sale that some people use to automate tasks. For example, maybe you put one on your desk at home and when you rest your phone on it, it autoconfigures itself to turn on wifi and and silence all but emergency calls from your work.

Anyway, a lot of the problems you talk about (not being able to tell if it was tossed in a bag vs. pairing with the printer, etc.) are all problems that are solved by the short range. It's also convenient to not have to turn things on and wait...that's the exact problem that NFC is trying to solve. All you need is for your phone to be unlocked with the screen on (and I have seen hacks that disable even that, leaving NFC on all the time but that seems like a bad idea to me) and you're ready to receive. Want to send something? Go into the app you want to send from and then just hold the phones together.

Wi-fi Direct is a standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

It's built into stock Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) so pretty much any fairly new Android phone can use it: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.0-highlights.html

See, I think this is what makes NFC cool. It's low power enough that you can leave it on all the time, and it eliminates a lot of steps (confirmation dialogue boxes shouldn't be necessary because both screens are unlocked and you need to get within an inch of the other phone, which would be hard to do without permission, and autolaunching a game on the receiving end is totally possible because it's on all the time).

Ok you are doing a really good job at selling me on this tech. I mean I already was sold on the idea of using it for payments but this WiFi Direct stuff and learning about how NFC actually works is really cool.

So I'll revise my stance to, S-Beam, Bump, whatever the fuck they call it, can be a good, useful feature. The way that Samsung is marketing it, however, is fucking stupid beyond belief. Look at all the cool shit it can do, and they market it how? Share a picture with a theater full of strangers. Good job Samsung, good fucking job on that one.

About the range, though. How does the Nintendo 3DS work with Spot Pass? Is that WiFi Direct, NFC, or is the 3DS just constantly creating a WiFi bubble around itself?

Also, I think you're both (but more Marty) making connecting to friends' networks sound WAY harder than it is. Unless they have some crazy password that's a jumble of numbers and letters, you just type in their password and you're ready to use AirPlay. But then, my friends and I don't like in like a Hacker Epicenter, so our passwords are just, well, words. My friends and I are always jumping on an off each others' networks at our different houses. Yes I can see how WiFi Direct or NFC would make things more streamlined but I mean, I go to my parents' house, I sit on their couch and connect to their WiFi, and seconds later I'm streaming Gravity Falls off my iPad onto their TV to watch with my dad. That's already pretty easy.

iamcenok

Got an email from apple! So excited... only to realize it was an email about apps I purchased 3 weeks ago and not a confirmation of my phone being shipped out.

Fucking cock tease. Feels bad man.. :[

Clipse

So has anyone here dealt with Spigen customer service? Sent them an e-mail on Thursday to setup a return for their shitty case and still no response.

BdoUK

So has anyone here dealt with Spigen customer service? Sent them an e-mail on Thursday to setup a return for their shitty case and still no response.

I sent an email this morning to cancel a case order and received a confirmation reply this afternoon.

Clipse

what's wrong with their cases? I was about to order one on amazon.
Ordered the Crumena Leather Pouch and it gets glue onto my phone whenever I use it. The strap that you pull to lift the phone out of the case is sewn and glued in on the inside of the case.

Checked again today to see if the glue had dried up by now, but it still smears onto my phone. Not as much as the first day I got it, but it's still there. I know the glue will probably dry up eventually, but I shouldn't have to deal with this shit in the first place.

lupinko

Are you willing to spend an extra $50 to get it sooner? I ended up buying the phone outright from Fido (for the same $899) and they'll unlock it for me for another $50 after 30 days.

I didn't know you could buy it outright, but nah I can wait. Thanks for the info tho.

MasLegio

Banned
Also, does this same thing happen in the Android-related threads where iOS and Windows Phone enthusiasts go in and start touting how their devices are better and "Androidbots" are deluded? Serious question.

I have no idea, I do not own any of those devices. I own an iPhone 4S and a New iPad. I just do not understand the constant apologies or "rationalizations" for Apples bad decisions or bad treatment of their customers.
Is there some rule that you only are allowed to critize what you do not own and use?

Argyle

About the range, though. How does the Nintendo 3DS work with Spot Pass? Is that WiFi Direct, NFC, or is the 3DS just constantly creating a WiFi bubble around itself?

I think it is basically a Wifi-like bubble, I think they use their own protocol to handle that.

Also, I think you're both (but more Marty) making connecting to friends' networks sound WAY harder than it is. Unless they have some crazy password that's a jumble of numbers and letters, you just type in their password and you're ready to use AirPlay. But then, my friends and I don't like in like a Hacker Epicenter, so our passwords are just, well, words. My friends and I are always jumping on an off each others' networks at our different houses. Yes I can see how WiFi Direct or NFC would make things more streamlined but I mean, I go to my parents' house, I sit on their couch and connect to their WiFi, and seconds later I'm streaming Gravity Falls off my iPad onto their TV to watch with my dad. That's already pretty easy.

I wasn't kidding when I said that my password was a string of 40-50 random numbers, letters, and symbols. I think Marty might actually run a MAC address whitelist on his network.

Even my parents have a 40ish character long password that is a bunch of random information concatenated together, I've put it in enough times that I can start to remember it once I start, but it's something that is kind of a pain in the ass to put in.

Well it had a good run but my iPhone 5 got its first scuff today somehow. Little one up by the power button.

Now it's started its journey to looking completely bad ass.

plainr_

Bumped my phone on the edge of a table by accident, now I have a small scuff.

Sucks but oh well. When this thing gets beaten up I'm going to re-anodize this myself.

plainr_

Hey youuuu, wanna tell us more?

The process requires chemically bathing the metal and dyeing with an electric current. Basically, once you strip the original colored layer, you can rust the bare aluminum into any color you want. I'm thinking dark red would look nice.

Something like this:
cNBy3.jpg

Here in the UAE, the iphone 5 16GB is being sold in the grey market at $1200. The local operators are asleep as usual, but seeing how well the grey market is doing, there's gonna be a huge queue when they roll out officially.

1. Could I get an AT&T phone, get the IMEI unlocked through the sellers on ebay?
2. Why is it that there are tons of IMEI unlockers out there compared to last year when there were hardly any?

Holy shit, a dark red/rust iPhone 5 with the black glass panels would look SO fucking sick.

I'm still waiting for pictures of what it would look like with all the black sanded off. I've actually wanted to do that since Day 1 but I like the idea of it wearing off naturally over time too much.

numble

Here in the UAE, the iphone 5 16GB is being sold in the grey market at $1200. The local operators are asleep as usual, but seeing how well the grey market is doing, there's gonna be a huge queue when they roll out officially.

1. Could I get an AT&T phone, get the IMEI unlocked through the sellers on ebay?
2. Why is it that there are tons of IMEI unlockers out there compared to last year when there were hardly any?

Yes, IMEI unlocks work, you may or may not have to worry about getting a model with the proper LTE bands though.

I think the proliferation of iPhones being on so many carriers in the past year has made it so that either it is more easy for unlock software to find their way to rogue hands, or made it more easy for people to crack whatever mechanism Apple employs for carrier locks.

Anyway, it seems like @chronic is making tons of cash doing these unlocks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just got a call from my provider informing me that delivery of my ordered iPhone has been delayed at least five (!!!) weeks.

This is mildly upsetting, to say the least.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just ordered a 32GB white version on the Apple Store, should be 3-4 weeks according to them. I have nothing else to contribute, but I'm venting my excitement by posting it, mostly because I have to wait 3-4 weeks and it feels like being a kid on the day before christmas.

So yay. iPhone!

MasLegio

Banned
The process requires chemically bathing the metal and dyeing with an electric current. Basically, once you strip the original colored layer, you can rust the bare aluminum into any color you want. I'm thinking dark red would look nice.

Something like this:

no risk of damaging the phone while doing that?

sounds like something one could make a small business out of

SJRB

Gold Member
What the hell? I wonder if this has anything to do with the protests.

No doubt that Apple is facing a huge shortage of iPhones. Their stock share dropped 10% since the iPhone5 launch, probably because of the same issue.

Several providers over here have officially halted the sale and reservation of the iPhone5 until they re-stock and resolve the [apparant] absurdly huge backorder.

It's a total clusterfuck.

Wow, now I'm feeling real lucky to have gotten mine. I got mine October 1st at an AT&T store. They said they were getting them in that day. I just waited until they got them in the store that morning. They only got 3 that day.

Clipse

Got my Sena Ultraslim today and I'm mostly satisfied I guess.

These cases are usually supposed to be tight fitting at first so you need to break-in the leather after a few days, but my phone just slides in with no problem at all. Wish the fit was more snug, but it's not like the phone slides out if I hold it upside-down while in the case or anything.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can some of you guys take my scuff-gate survey for my PR class? Thanks in advance.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7G98MMS

Done.

I think they should replaces ones that are marked straight out of the box, although this is of course hard to prove so within a window or something would probably be the best solution. It's a premium product and some customers may be ok with it but others not. When you sell a premium product and put so much emphasis on the build quality and techniques used you have to take the rough with the smooth.

My black iPhone 5 had no marks out the box though, and is still pristine despite being carried and used with no case.

-griffy-

Banned
I looked on the website and they seemed to imply you needed to show the current condition of the phone. Did she buy it on the Apple Store app?
I bought my phone online through AT&T, and made an appointment at the Genius Bar at my local Apple store so they could inspect my phone and purchase AppleCare.

Anyone getting scratches on the glass windows on the back of their phone? The front of mine is still fine, no scratches, but today I discovered several scratches on the bottom glass "window" on the back, some I can even feel with my finger nail running over them.

Phoenix

Ok you are doing a really good job at selling me on this tech. I mean I already was sold on the idea of using it for payments but this WiFi Direct stuff and learning about how NFC actually works is really cool.

So I'll revise my stance to, S-Beam, Bump, whatever the fuck they call it, can be a good, useful feature. The way that Samsung is marketing it, however, is fucking stupid beyond belief. Look at all the cool shit it can do, and they market it how? Share a picture with a theater full of strangers. Good job Samsung, good fucking job on that one.

There are a number of cool things that are enabled by NFC well beyond payments. Anyone who tells you that NFC is payments really doesn't understand the tech at all.

There are a number of cool things that are enabled by NFC well beyond payments. Anyone who tells you that NFC is payments really doesn't understand the tech at all.

Most people who are arguing against it are finding reasons or ways to get around NFC as reasons that it's useless. "Why would I want to do that?" "Who would want to do that?" "Can't you just do this instead?"

Argyle

Most people who are arguing against it are finding reasons or ways to get around NFC as reasons that it's useless. "Why would I want to do that?" "Who would want to do that?" "Can't you just do this instead?"

My favorite argument is "but Apple wouldn't do that" :)

numble

There's really not much arguing against NFC in the thread. There is a lot of arguing against its uses for specific instances, which I think can be valid.

There's really not much arguing against NFC in the thread. There is a lot of arguing against its uses for specific instances, which I think can be valid.

Ok, flip the coin. Outside of payments, use your imagination and tell us what you think it could be used for since you like shooting down all the other ideas but don't think NFC is useless.

Examples? I'm generally curious.

I've used the following examples of possibilities that open up:

Connecting to a Bluetooth speaker where the connection is simply done by having them next to each other.
Talking directly to an AppleTV for the first time or one that is not yours
Giving a picture you just took of your friend or family member to them after you've taken
Playing a game with a friend and connecting to them
Trading contact info (No longer, what's your number or email? Just bring the phone next to each other)

Top Bottom