• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bonesquad

Chrome, Sparrow, Google Maps...all Google apps. Yeah. If those are 95% of your use case, might as well give in. While those are my most used apps, I use way too many other apps on iOS that I'll wait for a jailbreak.

I used an iPhone 4 today. Man it's hard to go back to that screen and speed after just three weeks using a 5...

Been on a waiting list at Best Buy for a bit now, and I keep checking the Apple site to see if my local store has stock. Thinking of just ordering it online and waiting, but I know the moment I do that is when I will find stock in town.

Vyer

Just looked at the 5 in the grand central store.

It's sexy, crazy light. Feels slightly too narrow now for how tall it is.

Great hardware though. But. Is it right for me anymore?

I jailbreak and use Chrome (bookmark sync) and Sparrow (multiple account handling) as default apps. I make use of google maps constantly and I'm envious of the full featured android version. I use IRC a lot, and would be on in the background 100% of the time if I could, but can't on iPhone.

I'm traveling a lot and end up needing to carry an external battery pack the size of my phone, or a battery case that doubles the size of my phone, since the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery and doesn't last all day.

Shit. I need an Android phone, don't I?

I would say so, at least if background IRC and a removable battery are high priority. Don't know if any Windows Phone would suit those needs?

reKon

Banned

I jailbreak and use Chrome (bookmark sync) and Sparrow (multiple account handling) as default apps. I make use of google maps constantly and I'm envious of the full featured android version. I use IRC a lot, and would be on in the background 100% of the time if I could, but can't on iPhone.

I'm traveling a lot and end up needing to carry an external battery pack the size of my phone, or a battery case that doubles the size of my phone, since the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery and doesn't last all day.

Maybe the Razr Maxx HD?!?!

You don't really need a removable battery for that with the insane battery life you would get. If you really needed something extra, there is something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1083110&p_id=9283&seq=1&format=2#description

EDIT: wait if you're living in New York, then you should get an Android phone because of Google Now. If you're in a big city this is invaluable.

Ashhong

I think it makes all the difference. It's one thing where you tell someone who feels there is a difference that it's normal and there's no difference vs it's normal but you're not seeing things. That's why people got upset and didn't like the response because it didn't feel like an acknowledgment but rather a deflection.

I disagree because I didn't read it as "there's no difference". Of course lens flare is going to differ among various units. That's a no brainer. And from what I read, most people got upset because they thought Apple was simply saying "you're holding it wrong". Which is stupid. In fact when I searched for their statement, that was the title for the majority of the articles I saw.

You don't really need a removable battery for that with the insane battery life you would get. If you really needed something extra, there is something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

EDIT: wait if you're living in New York, then you should get an Android phone because of Google Now. If you're in a big city this is invaluable.

of topic, but wow, didn't know Monoprice made battery packs. Just ordered one. Thanks!

So Gizmodo, Mobile Review, Mashable, DPreview and others state it's more noticeable in the iPhone 5 (sometimes considerably so), and Consumer Reports and Apple state otherwise? Hmm...who to believe lol.

I noticed the issue the other day when I was taking a photo w/ my lamp behind me. It was just a vertical line of purple on the left edge of the screen. Had to reposition the shot to get rid of it. Annoying but a minor thing for me. The overwhelming majority of my pics come out just fine.

numble

I never ignored it but didn't see that post until now. You stated Bluetooth would result in a audio quality loss but the bandwidth for Bluetooth has more than enough bandwidth for good quality audio. We're not talking about video, we're talking about the introduction of AirPlay at the time too. Video and mirroring came long after AirPlay was introduced and was later expanded to include those features. Why we're limiting to it? Because at the time one could say AirPlay seemed pointless because Bluetooth audio existed. Plus it seems to me that most Apple owners are on the side of good enough quality rather than best quality. Hence the audio quality of the music from iTunes and the lack of FLAC support, people thinking iTunes video content is good enough to not need Blu Ray quality on Apple devices including a Blu Ray drive on a Mac, and thinking that Netflix streaming is good enough as well. That's the audience that these devices cater to.
You're not talking about AirPlay. AirPlay has always been about audio and video. You may be thinking of AirTunes, which didn't even involve bluetooth devices--it was speakers connected through LAN, allowing you to send music throughout the house--you didn't even need either Bluetooth or WiFi.

Besides, Bluetooth does not have the range or versatility. AirPlay is better than Bluetooth in range, quality and versatility. Why would you want something inferior?

It's pretty clear you're hard set on your view without any room to budge. It's the reason I asked you to offer up some suggestions on how it could be used if you find that it's not pointless. But you continued on trying to show why it shouldn't be used even after the fact. It wasn't even until this post that you clearly agreed with one of my points to how it can be used. I'm saying use that gesture, regardless of the tech, hide it all to the end user, and make it so that's how you can communicate with another device and hide all the handshaking issues. Make the connection instant too rather than needing to take time to handshake and sync. NFC is a means to doing that while other techniques still make you go through a connection process. How do you hide the connection process with your other examples?

The handshaking is not hidden with NFC, you are actively initiating it, even with physical movement, but you're also probably doing something in an app to actively initiate it as well--it's not like your phone knows what you want to send when you tap it to another phone, you're going to be going into your photos, movies, contacts, or whatever, and telling it to go into NFC-send mode anyway, its not like your device knows exactly what you want to send when you start waving it at an antenna--you need to tell it what to send. At that point, I don't think tapping an icon that pops up on the screen or share sheet is any different, especially if it eliminates the step of walking up to the AppleTV or whatever and waving your device around. Like AirPlay receivers currently, they know what to do when an item is sent, just like an AppleTV on standby knows whether to mirror a device, show a photo slideshow, show/play video/audio that sits on the device, or takeover streaming the video/audio from the web.

I disagree because I didn't read it as "there's no difference". Of course lens flare is going to differ among various units. That's a no brainer. And from what I read, most people got upset because they thought Apple was simply saying "you're holding it wrong". Which is stupid. In fact when I searched for their statement, that was the title for the majority of the articles I saw.

Let's forget other phones and stick to just iPhones here. They got upset because it reeked of "You're holding it wrong". When there was an issue with the iPhone 4 and signal dropping it was because people would hold their iPhone 4 the same way they held their iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS but the signal would degrade more than before despite doing the same thing. So moving forward with the camera. When taking the same picture as they would with their iPhone 4 or 4S they would notice and increase in purple flare than before. That advice to tell them to take the picture differently smells of "You're holding it wrong" because they are doing what they used to do before but were getting worse results. So by not acknowledging or alluding that maybe the iPhone 5 has more purple flare than the iPhone 4 or 4S gives that the impression that there is nothing wrong or different and that they should take the picture differently. That's why it's not nitpicking but it's the subtle difference in how the message is conveyed. They claim it's normal and to take the picture differently and my suggestion was to say it's normal, and that there is a slight chance of more flare now, but you get the trade off of other factors of the camera that are better as a result. That's how my suggestion differs from their response and why people might have taken to the response that way. It's not simply because they're out to get Apple.

jcm

Let's forget other phones and stick to just iPhones here. They got upset because it reeked of "You're holding it wrong". When there was an issue with the iPhone 4 and signal dropping it was because people would hold their iPhone 4 the same way they held their iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS but the signal would degrade more than before despite doing the same thing. So moving forward with the camera. When taking the same picture as they would with their iPhone 4 or 4S they would notice and increase in purple flare than before. That advice to tell them to take the picture differently smells of "You're holding it wrong" because they are doing what they used to do before but were getting worse results. So by not acknowledging or alluding that maybe the iPhone 5 has more purple flare than the iPhone 4 or 4S gives that the impression that there is nothing wrong or different and that they should take the picture differently. That's why it's not nitpicking but it's the subtle difference in how the message is conveyed. They claim it's normal and to take the picture differently and my suggestion was to say it's normal, and that there is a slight chance of more flare now, but you get the trade off of other factors of the camera that are better as a result. That's how my suggestion differs from their response and why people might have taken to the response that way. It's not simply because they're out to get Apple.

But the 5 doesn't give you lens flare when taking a picture that would have been good on a 4. Who cares if the flare is sometimes a bit more purple than it would have been? Neither phone was going to give you a decent pic.

It smells of "you're holding it wrong" because you are, in fact, holding it wrong.

Vyer

It was dumb, but not surprisingly a lot of people who were using that (and putting it in their title) had their reasons. Gizmodo's article is a good example.

Fact of the matter is there is no consensus that the 5 is more prone to the 'purple lens flare'. I've got a 4 and a 5 right now and it's more prevalent on the 4. *shrug*

Mairu

The difference is when antennagate blew up most blogs and tech sites were in agreement that it was a major problem specific to the iPhone 4. You aren't finding that kind of agreement about the lens flares being an issue specific to the 5. There's even been multiple articles linked in here that are coming to slightly different conclusions.

You're nitpicking.

I wonder why Apple didn't make a smart cover for the iPhone 5. It should still have a bumper, but the smart cover would be nice for protecting the screen.

The difference is when antennagate blew up most blogs and tech sites were in agreement that it was a major problem specific to the iPhone 4.

Are we rewriting history? There was huge debate whether this was a problem or common among all cell phones. You don't remember people trying to prove that all phones had signal drops?

You aren't finding that kind of agreement about the lens flares being an issue specific to the 5. There's even been multiple articles linked in here that are coming to slightly different conclusions.

Nobody said the issue is specific to the iPhone 5. It's less about the flare and honestly more about the purple. It makes the flares stand out more. I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest that it stands out more on the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4 and 4S. People aren't making this up, other sites are showing evidence of it, and people who don't follow this are noticing it on their own.

You're nitpicking.

I don't think I'm nitpicking at all. The way the message is conveyed can change greatly to how people react to it. I think this is a minor thing but I can understand what these people are getting at and why they would have such a reaction. Look at the people here trying to downplay it despite there being evidence that the purple halo/flare appears to be more prominent than previous iPhones. Are we trying to say that people are making this up? That after two years of the iPhone 4 and 1 year of the iPhone 4S that nobody saw this until the iPhone 5 came out and that the iPhone 5 is exactly the same as before? Remember, the same reactions to antennagate were playing out the same way.

Bacchus

Banned

What you need is note 2. With 5.5 inches, you can put irc on foreground half screen while doing something elsewith the other half.

Natetan

Alright you guys. I reserved an iPhone 5 based on feedback in this thread, but now there seems to be nothing but negativity about the phone.

I can prob last awhile longer on my iPhone4 but the home button sucks (yes I could fix it) and battery seems to die faster than before.

I tried it out in the store and liked how light it was. That's what sold me really. Does the bigger screen seem awkward to any of you? I liked it initially but now not sure. Seems a little awkward in the hand sometimes.

Alright you guys. I reserved an iPhone 5 based on feedback in this thread, but now there seems to be nothing but negativity about the phone.

I can prob last awhile longer on my iPhone4 but the home button sucks (yes I could fix it) and battery seems to die faster than before.

I tried it out in the store and liked how light it was. That's what sold me really. Does the bigger screen seem awkward to any of you? I liked it initially but now not sure. Seems a little awkward in the hand sometimes.

Guess it depends on how big your hands are. I have Shaq hands

Tobor

It's a fantastic phone. I'm getting great battery life, the screen isn't too large to be awkward, and the camera is taking excellent photos.

The negativity is overblown. Coming from an iPhone 4, you'll find this is an excellent upgrade.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

It's my favourite phone ever, and I LOVED the 4. Was quite sceptical before getting my hands on one. The whole feel of it, the lightness, just great to use. Haven't run into battery issues yet, seems no big change from the 4 really, not using 4G though as that hasn't rolled out down here yet. Might last bit longer, haven't had it die on me yet anyway.

Screen is brighter, better colours. The 4 looks quite poor up against it now. Got very used to the 16:9 very quickly, was sceptical about that before as well because I thought it looked a bit off. In practise though it's fine, still as easy to use but extra bit of space seems right. Old apps which are letterboxed feel cramped now.

Coming from the 4 though the biggest thing is the speed increase, everything flies. Safari especially. Much bigger speed increase than I was expecting. The black 5 also is the nicest looking phone I've seen, wasn't keen on the white though. Looks a bit tacky. Been using the 5 caseless and no marks or anything either. So all good there so far.

Overall far happier than I thought I would be because of how much I liked the 4. Apart from the cock-up with Maps it's basically a very worthy follow-up.

matt360

Went to an Apple Store yesterday and exchanged my phone. Battery still sucks. I'm seriously starting to regret getting this phone and I've been on board since the 3G days.

ant1532

Banned
Went to an Apple Store yesterday and exchanged my phone. Battery still sucks. I'm seriously starting to regret getting this phone and I've been on board since the 3G days.

are you constantly on LTE? have you arranged any of your settings like location services, push notifications, brightness to help fix it?

well, you don't *NEED* one, but it would make things easier, since you don't have to wait for a jailbreak to be released to be able to run IRC in the background.

I would say so, at least if background IRC and a removable battery are high priority. Don't know if any Windows Phone would suit those needs?

removable battery, yes (depending on device [based SAMSUNG]). IRC in background, no.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1083110&p_id=9283&seq=1&format=2#description

i have one of those in addition to having a spare battery. btw, those things make great birthday/xmas presents!

well, ill post impressions here when I get it :X

takes a whiiiiiile to charge since it only charges at like 700mA
device feels solid, works pretty well though the power button feels kind of flimsy
blue leds. it has 4 of them. in a row. some people will hate that haha!
but that's the battery level indicator, 1=1/4 ... 4=full

i have one of those in addition to having a spare battery. btw, those things make great birthday/xmas presents!

takes a whiiiiiile to charge since it only charges at like 700mA
device feels solid, works pretty well though the power button feels kind of flimsy
blue leds. it has 4 of them. in a row. some people will hate that haha!
but that's the battery level indicator, 1=1/4 ... 4=full

take awhile to charge... the battery? or my phone?

LCfiner

So it seems the iPod touch is inferior to the iPhone 5 after all...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+Teardown/10803

- Worse home button
- Inferior screen
- Half the RAM

well, we knew it had an A5 and not an A6 from the beginning. No surprise on the RAM, sadly.

I am curious to know more about the screen differences. ifixit said it was cheaper and simpler but didn't comment on the actual image quality. Maybe Anand will look into it - they're always very thorough regarding screens

matt360

are you constantly on LTE? have you arranged any of your settings like location services, push notifications, brightness to help fix it?

Nope. LTE is off, I'm in airplane mode when I know I won't be using it for a while, location services are mostly off, screen brightness at 30%, notifications are off, all mail set the manual fetch, I've done all the tricks. I've restored to new and still no improvement so I've just resigned to the fact that I'm going to need to carry a charger with me at all times. I just got my new phone yesterday so I still need to cycle the battery a few times to be sure, but it's not looking good. I'm also in the same area with the same network coverage as I was when I had my iPhone 4 but my 4 was much better. It's pretty damn frustrating to be honest with you.

Tobor

Nope. LTE is off, I'm in airplane mode when I know I won't be using it for a while, location services are mostly off, screen brightness at 30%, notifications are off, all mail set the manual fetch, I've done all the tricks. I've restored to new and still no improvement so I've just resigned to the fact that I'm going to need to carry a charger with me at all times. I just got my new phone yesterday so I still need to cycle the battery a few times to be sure, but it's not looking good. I'm also in the same area with the same network coverage as I was when I had my iPhone 4 but my 4 was much better. It's pretty damn frustrating to be honest with you.

This makes no sense. I use LTE, have notifications on, and leave Bluetooth on all day. My battery life is fine.

It's not that different than my old 4.

Talon

I've gone about 1.5 days with LTE on and location services on pretty consistently now. Time to get your phone replaced, natch.

hirokazu

Well, they lied that the iPod touch got the same screen as the iPhone 5. Oh, I get it, it's the same screen in size and dimensions, but inferior like the previous iPod touch screen was to iPhone 4/4S. Well done!

diehard

Fleer
Well, they lied that the iPod touch got the same screen as the iPhone 5. Oh, I get it, it's the same screen in size and dimensions, but inferior like the previous iPod touch screen was to iPhone 4/4S. Well done!

Previous displays were not IPS, the new one is.

Vyer

So is it the 4/4S screen? Because that's pretty good.

On the other hand, I like the design and supposedly the Touch is actually thinner and lighter than even the 5. I'd kinda like to see that.

I've gone about 1.5 days with LTE on and location services on pretty consistently now. Time to get your phone replaced, natch.

He said he already did. If he restored from backup, it would seem it's some setting or app.

matt, how much usage/standby are you getting on a full charge?

SuperPac

I had hoped that the iPod touch would have the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 5. But at least it's got 512. Maybe now it won't be as crashy as the 4th gen was. :\

Top Bottom