• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

hirokazu

One annoying thing about the bottom audio port is it is now a lot harder to silence your phone in your pocket.
I never liked the change and I'm still not a fan of it. I've gotten more used to it now, but it's still an inconvenience for me. When I don't have headphones plugged in I still put it in my pocket the right now up but I have to switch to upside down when I plug headphones in. It's just not practical for me.

I suppose maybe Apple always wanted the headphone port on the bottom but couldn't fit it there until now. I just don't "get" it. :p

hirokazu

Heya fellas, is there already an iPhone 5 version of this wallpaper?

AiHNi.jpg

If you post the source, someone can easily extend the wall to make it iPhone 5 size...

EDIT:
Here you go, I found the source and extended it for you...
TS_iP5.jpg

Yes I know Siri was available prior to Apple buying them, I had the app. That was my point. If Apple saw Bump as something that was really worth their time and worthy of integrating into their iOS/Mac OS family, they would have bought it as they did with Siri.

So you're saying the only way something happens is if Apple buys out a company instead of doing it themselves?

And I agree completely with it being integrated VS just a random app. Make it part of iOS, EVERY iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch can now share information wirelessly. This is also why I think it's so incredibly stupid that Samsung are marketing the hell out of the feature - it only works with the Galaxy S3! Good luck bumping your phone against every other phone out there, because it won't work. If it had been a universal Android feature, I could understand them hyping it [even though it's still stupid] but it isn't, it's specific to just this one phone.

And once again you show you don't know what you're talking about. It is a universal Android feature. Look up Android Beam.

Will the Galaxy S4 have the feature? Do any other upcoming Samsung devices have it? Or will it be left out and forgotten because it is stupid and nobody uses it.

Again, it's an Android feature, not a phone specific one.

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to illustrate. Guy is in a board room. He has a PDF on his iPad. He wants everyone else to get the PDF on their iPads to follow along. He turns on AirDrop and so do his colleagues and he pushes the PDF to them. No need for them to all log into DropBox, no need for them to all be bumping their iPads together. He creates a small bubble of wifi magic that connects all the devices together.

Nothing to stop this from happening in a group method vs an individual method. There are reasons to support both.

I was under the assumption that this is what NFC was. I had no idea the only way to activate NFC on a device (like your phone or your credit card) was to bump it against something else (like the NFC dock at a cash register). I assumed it was either always on, or if I open my Bank Card App, that turns on NFC and lets me wave my card by the receptor. I mean, I've read about more powerful NFC chips that make it so you don't even need to take your device out of your pocket, so I have no idea why a physical connection between devices needs to be made.

My understanding is you don't need to bump, but they do have to be close to each other in order to initiate the handshake. The reason the short distance is so you're talking to every phone out there. People are taking a literal bump and focusing way too much on that. It's not a requirement, but using a bump could keep it from always being on and searching which of course would be a battery drain. The physical connection or close contact is brief just for the handshake and then other wireless protocols can be used.

Speakers: AirPlay. They already do this and even more are coming. If not AirPlay, then BlueTooth. My iPhone sits in my pocket and beams music and phone calls to my BlueTooth headset and the two devices never once had to touch. I turned on the headphones, entered a code on my iPhone, and that was it.

This requires setup. Watch the Nokia demo and tell me that's not way easier than using what you're describing here. You have to pair a Bluetooth headset. Airplay requires WiFi. Imagine going to a friends house, who you're not on their WiFi network and simply laying down your iPhone on top of their AppleTV so you can show them some pictures. All you do is just lay it down and it works.

Game connection: BlueTooth. I load the game. You load the game. It searches for another BlueTooth device running the game. We confirm, and play. Is this not how The Incident works, by using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller and the iPad as the screen?

Nobody is saying there aren't other ways but the point is to make things easier. No need to look through a list of connections and select which one you want and to set all that up. A simple connection will do that all automatically for you and then you're in. It's not the only way to do it but it's way simpler and faster. You'd use the NFC to establish the Bluetooth connection.

Payments: NFC. Right now, for example, Square has their little card-reader dongle. But I'm sure when iOS devices use NFC, they'll either update the dongle to also have an NFC chip in it for legacy hardware, or do away with the dongle altogether and just use the device's built-in chip.

None of these things require the devices to ever touch one another.

Of course there's way more complicated ways of doing it. Nobody is saying otherwise. But you seem to not understand how things work and how much easier it can be for the end user. Apple has always been about the user experience and the simplicity. Remember their motto of "It just works"? Why is it you want to go through all these more complicated steps and have a different method for different use cases when you could have a universal one that simply has you touching the other device for a brief second and it's all done automatically for you? Because you're too embarrassed to touch one device to another for a brief second? I guess Siri is pointless because it's silly to be talking to yourself.

Argyle

Yes I know Siri was available prior to Apple buying them, I had the app. That was my point. If Apple saw Bump as something that was really worth their time and worthy of integrating into their iOS/Mac OS family, they would have bought it as they did with Siri.

And I agree completely with it being integrated VS just a random app. Make it part of iOS, EVERY iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch can now share information wirelessly. This is also why I think it's so incredibly stupid that Samsung are marketing the hell out of the feature - it only works with the Galaxy S3! Good luck bumping your phone against every other phone out there, because it won't work. If it had been a universal Android feature, I could understand them hyping it [even though it's still stupid] but it isn't, it's specific to just this one phone.

Will the Galaxy S4 have the feature? Do any other upcoming Samsung devices have it? Or will it be left out and forgotten because it is stupid and nobody uses it.

The only Samsung specific feature as far as sharing photos/videos is that "S-Beam" sets up a Wifi Direct connection over NFC. Stock Android uses Bluetooth, which is much slower. It's pretty likely that eventually stock Android will also use Wifi Direct, just as Samsung was the first to implement hardware acceleration in their browser on Android, but now stock Android has this functionality. Of course, the S3 can still do normal "Android Beam" which will work with any other Android phone. There's also no reason another OS couldn't implement Bluetooth file sharing with an NFC handshake, assuming that "Android Beam" either implements a standard or becomes the defacto standard.

Many Samsung phones with NFC being released now support S-Beam, including their midrange phones: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=11195

To me this argument holds about as much water as saying Facetime, iMessages, or Shared Photostream are stupid because only Apple devices can use it, thus nobody will use it.

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to illustrate. Guy is in a board room. He has a PDF on his iPad. He wants everyone else to get the PDF on their iPads to follow along. He turns on AirDrop and so do his colleagues and he pushes the PDF to them. No need for them to all log into DropBox, no need for them to all be bumping their iPads together. He creates a small bubble of wifi magic that connects all the devices together.

You are talking about Wifi Direct, which (of course) the Samsung phones can do (it's part of S-beam). I've never tried to use it myself but you're going to have everyone get on everyone else's phones to scan the area and then click on the people you want to connect to (hopefully their devices are named descriptively).

Or you could tap the phone you want to send the file to and it'll automatically pair over NFC and start transferring the file.

I was under the assumption that this is what NFC was. I had no idea the only way to activate NFC on a device (like your phone or your credit card) was to bump it against something else (like the NFC dock at a cash register). I assumed it was either always on, or if I open my Bank Card App, that turns on NFC and lets me wave my card by the receptor. I mean, I've read about more powerful NFC chips that make it so you don't even need to take your device out of your pocket, so I have no idea why a physical connection between devices needs to be made.

The close proximity implies that you need physical access to the other device, which is a security consideration. For example, it might be bad if I can start sending your phone random URLs from six feet away. It might also be confusing if the cash register is trying to communicate with your NFC phone but is also picking up the phones in the pockets of the three people in line behind you.

Speakers: AirPlay. They already do this and even more are coming. If not AirPlay, then BlueTooth. My iPhone sits in my pocket and beams music and phone calls to my BlueTooth headset and the two devices never once had to touch. I turned on the headphones, entered a code on my iPhone, and that was it.

Or you could tap the phone against the speakers, or the headset against the phone and have it automatically pair. Same functionality, just easier.

Game connection: BlueTooth. I load the game. You load the game. It searches for another BlueTooth device running the game. We confirm, and play. Is this not how The Incident works, by using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller and the iPad as the screen?

Or you could load the game on your phone and then tap the phones together, which autolaunches the game on the other phone and instantly matchmakes into your own session, without waiting around for Bluetooth scanning to complete or requiring any further user confirmation.

Hahaha holy shit, that's really how Bump works? Wow, that is a convoluted mess. I'd assume it just works that way because of hardware limitations of the older iPhones? It probably never took off because that implementation is terribad. Maybe once the iPhone has NFC Apple will buy it and integrate it properly, but I still would rather AirDrop something than have to clink my phone against another.

Why would Apple need to buy them if they implemented NFC properly? NFC does everything Bump does and more, and without requiring connection to an external server.

numble

Or you could tap the phone against the speakers, or the headset against the phone and have it automatically pair. Same functionality, just easier.

I don't think tapping the phone with the device is easier. With Bluetooth devices, they pair automatically when you turn them on, after the initial pairing.

I don't want to get up off my couch to tap speakers or a TV to initiate AirPlay. The AirPlay icon pops up right next to all your media players when you look at media and are near an AirPlay device.

I don't think tapping the phone with the device is easier. With Bluetooth devices, they pair automatically when you turn them on, after the initial pairing.

But you took out one of the important factors, the initial pairing. That's an advantage here that makes things easier to the end user. It really depends on what you're doing too. Many devices only let you pair to one other device at a time. If you live in a house with two Bluetooth devices, say your phone and your significant other's phone, it makes it easier to go between the phones.

I don't want to get up off my couch to tap speakers or a TV to initiate AirPlay. The AirPlay icon pops up right next to all your media players when you look at media and are near an AirPlay device.

Why does this have to be an all or nothing situation? You don't have to do that if you've already set it up. It's something to have in addition for numerous other reasons. You can have AirPlay and have NFC as a method of initiating communication for different purposes. Or if you're smart, you can make them all integrated so that it's all behind the scenes stuff to the end user.

numble

But you took out one of the important factors, the initial pairing. That's an advantage here that makes things easier to the end user. It really depends on what you're doing too. Many devices only let you pair to one other device at a time. If you live in a house with two Bluetooth devices, say your phone and your significant other's phone, it makes it easier to go between the phones.
*shrug* I really think Bluetooth pairing is pretty simple as it is now, with no need to buy new accessories to save a couple seconds on pairing. It's a very simple process these days that don't require passwords with most new accessories.

Why does this have to be an all or nothing situation? You don't have to do that if you've already set it up. It's something to have in addition for numerous other reasons. You can have AirPlay and have NFC as a method of initiating communication for different purposes. Or if you're smart, you can make them all integrated so that it's all behind the scenes stuff to the end user.

Because Argyle posited tapping the phone to speakers as being easier compared to another poster's argument for AirPlay. I don't think it is easier than the way AirPlay is set up. Anytime you are looking at media and are near an AirPlay device, an icon automatically pops up giving you the option to AirPlay it. I find this much easier than actually going to the Apple TV and waving your phone, especially because my Apple TV at home is obscured, and usually several yards away from where I am. If it is an actual TV, you're going to have to make the whole TV an NFC antenna to make sure the antennas contact correctly.

Nothing is simpler than Airplay.

They could have the same thing for iOS called AirShare or something and every time you wanted to send something you just press the button and it brings up iPhone names in the vicinity and you can tap and send.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does the iphone 5 have better signal sensitivity or other improvements in basic call quality? My wife's 4S often garbles sections of calls and its really annoying her. I get no issues with the same operator in the same house on a non-iphone. Wondering if its worth upgrading her to a 5?

Number45

I guess he doesn't understand why there is virtually no hardware peripheral support for it at an affordable price after over a year on market, but why is that in an iPhone thread?
Yeah, my question was originally going to ask if he meant Lightning rather than Thunderbolt. :p

My guess on the support is that Apple can't dictate hardware in the PC/AV sector in the same way they can on phones. HDMI and USB aren't going anywhere.

Yeah, my question was originally going to ask if he meant Lightning rather than Thunderbolt. :p

My guess on the support is that Apple can't dictate hardware in the PC/AV sector in the same way they can on phones. HDMI and USB aren't going anywhere.

They had the opportunity to go cordless or go with a hidden micro-USB port but they chose this shitty middle of the road USB 2.0 proprietary standard nobody wants. Things like lightning are the worst Apple stuff.

There is no upside for the consumer unless "I dun hafta flip it over" is a big win for you

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They had the opportunity to go cordless or go with a hidden micro-USB port but they chose this shitty middle of the road USB 2.0 proprietary standard nobody wants. Things like lightning are the worst Apple stuff.

There is no upside for the consumer unless "I dun hafta flip it over" is a big win for you

calling it lightning is the most confusing thing for me. It so clearly begs comparison with thunderbolt, that people would be forgiven for assuming it is compatible with thunderbolt and provides faster syncing.

maybe that was the plan but it wasn't technical doable with this gen. But it is odd.

calling it lightning is the most confusing thing for me. It so clearly begs comparison with thunderbolt, that people would be forgiven for assuming it is compatible with thunderbolt and provides faster syncing.

maybe that was the plan but it wasn't technical doable with this gen. But it is odd.

We had this discussion in this thread before, Thunderbolt cables are quite expensive and the iPhone probably wouldn't even be able to take advantage of the speed.

Edit:

That doesn't excuse the oddly confusing name though.

So you're saying the only way something happens is if Apple buys out a company instead of doing it themselves?
Oh, no, not at all. I can see how that could be inferred from what I said, but that's not what I meant. Apple is perfectly capable of doing it themselves, if they thought the feature was worth doing. And honestly, they still might, once the iPhone gets NFC capabilities. They just have a history of buying companies that make software they want or hiring people that design things in ways they'd like to incorporate into their devices.

Marty Chinn said:
And once again you show you don't know what you're talking about. It is a universal Android feature. Look up Android Beam.

Again, it's an Android feature, not a phone specific one.
Ok, thank you. I didn't know that. I don't know a whole lot about Android phones - I'm an Apple guy. I don't necessarily think one is better than the other, they each have their strengths and weaknesses and it's more of a "whatever works best for the individual" kind of thing. But as I said many times, I only know what the commercials are advertising, and in the case of the S3 they're touting the bump feature as if it's exclusive to the S3. I never once got the indication from any S3 ad I've seen that the bump feature is cross-platform with other Samsung/Android phones.

Marty Chinn said:
Nothing to stop this from happening in a group method vs an individual method. There are reasons to support both.
True, I just think the need for the devices to be in such close proximity as to make them touch is obtuse. I'm not saying allow everyone on my block to jump in on my iPhone when I open up AirDrop but a range of 3-5 feet would be ideal.

Marty Chinn said:
My understanding is you don't need to bump, but they do have to be close to each other in order to initiate the handshake. The reason the short distance is so you're talking to every phone out there. People are taking a literal bump and focusing way too much on that. It's not a requirement, but using a bump could keep it from always being on and searching which of course would be a battery drain. The physical connection or close contact is brief just for the handshake and then other wireless protocols can be used.
This is also true, but that's why I suggested it as an app - that way it's only searching when it's open, like Find My Friends only stalks people when you have it open.

Marty Chinn said:
This requires setup. Watch the Nokia demo and tell me that's not way easier than using what you're describing here. You have to pair a Bluetooth headset. Airplay requires WiFi. Imagine going to a friends house, who you're not on their WiFi network and simply laying down your iPhone on top of their AppleTV so you can show them some pictures. All you do is just lay it down and it works.
I'm almost positive I read something recently saying that AirPlay was being upgraded to skip WiFi networks entirely to work on a device-to-device connection. As in the iPhone creates its own wireless network with the speakers, bypassing the need to get the iPhone and speakers on the same WiFi network. It was called like AirPlay Plus or something.

Marty Chinn said:
Nobody is saying there aren't other ways but the point is to make things easier. No need to look through a list of connections and select which one you want and to set all that up. A simple connection will do that all automatically for you and then you're in. It's not the only way to do it but it's way simpler and faster. You'd use the NFC to establish the Bluetooth connection.
But then we have the phone on, always searching for that bump signal from the other phone again. Otherwise, how does the phone know when I'm bumping it against a phone/speaker/printer and not setting it on a table or tossing it in a bag? The bump initiates the connection, yes, but then what tells the phone to prepare for the bump, to search for the signal to connect to? Otherwise, every time the phone hits something, it's looking for a signal. Or perhaps I just don't understand how the tech works.

Marty Chinn said:
Of course there's way more complicated ways of doing it. Nobody is saying otherwise. But you seem to not understand how things work and how much easier it can be for the end user. Apple has always been about the user experience and the simplicity. Remember their motto of "It just works"? Why is it you want to go through all these more complicated steps and have a different method for different use cases when you could have a universal one that simply has you touching the other device for a brief second and it's all done automatically for you? Because you're too embarrassed to touch one device to another for a brief second? I guess Siri is pointless because it's silly to be talking to yourself.
Nah, I love Siri. I'm not talking to myself, I'm talking to the phone. And I'm not embarrassed to tap my phone against yours or my dad's or my coworker's to share info, even though I think it's stupid in general. I am, once again, going off what the feature is being advertised as, which is easily sharing things with people you don't know or have contact info for already. If I'm at a party and I ask a girl for her number can you really imagine her saying "Yeah here bump your phone against mine." and holding out her phone? Really? At a concert, holding your phone out to the guy a row down from you, "Hey man, that was a sweet shot you got, bump it to me."? I can imagine going to my parents' house with a picture of my brother and I on a hike and tapping my phone on their computer or iPad to give them the picture, sure. But that isn't how the feature is being marketed. It's "Here's a way to share things with strangers so you don't have to go through the hassle of getting their information."

----

The only Samsung specific feature as far as sharing photos/videos is that "S-Beam" sets up a Wifi Direct connection over NFC. Stock Android uses Bluetooth, which is much slower. It's pretty likely that eventually stock Android will also use Wifi Direct, just as Samsung was the first to implement hardware acceleration in their browser on Android, but now stock Android has this functionality. Of course, the S3 can still do normal "Android Beam" which will work with any other Android phone. There's also no reason another OS couldn't implement Bluetooth file sharing with an NFC handshake, assuming that "Android Beam" either implements a standard or becomes the defacto standard.

Many Samsung phones with NFC being released now support S-Beam, including their midrange phones: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=11195

To me this argument holds about as much water as saying Facetime, iMessages, or Shared Photostream are stupid because only Apple devices can use it, thus nobody will use it.
Fair points. And thank you for explaining the tech behind all these features. For the record I do think Shared Photostream IS useless and stupid as well. I wish I could FaceTime with other phone users but for that there's Skype. But on the FaceTime (and iMessages) front, those things work across ALL iOS devices, whereas I was operating under the assumption [that has now been corrected] that the S3 bump ONLY worked on S3s. If iMessages came out and ONLY the iPhone 5 could use them, I'd be saying What The Fuck to that as well.

Argyle said:
You are talking about Wifi Direct, which (of course) the Samsung phones can do (it's part of S-beam). I've never tried to use it myself but you're going to have everyone get on everyone else's phones to scan the area and then click on the people you want to connect to (hopefully their devices are named descriptively).

Or you could tap the phone you want to send the file to and it'll automatically pair over NFC and start transferring the file.
Ok, I understand things better now. Is this WiFi Direct tech things that only Samsung phones have, like is it their creation? Or is it just general tech that they happened to impliment into their phones first?

And I hadn't considered the fact that people can name their phones unique things. In my mind it was just a list with Apple ID pictures and "Jake's iPhone" and "Hellen's iPad" next to them. Or it could have their username and then under it in smaller letters their full real name. I'm just picturing being at a party and I get a video of someone jumping off the roof into a pool, everyone who wants the video opens AirShare and I tap their names and tap "send". Or there could be a "Send to All" button. I don't know how they'd do it, I'm not a designer at Apple. I just feel like there's a better way then going around tapping everyone's phones.

Argyle said:
The close proximity implies that you need physical access to the other device, which is a security consideration. For example, it might be bad if I can start sending your phone random URLs from six feet away. It might also be confusing if the cash register is trying to communicate with your NFC phone but is also picking up the phones in the pockets of the three people in line behind you.
Good points. That's why I described it as being an app though. That way it's not always on, it's only on and connecting when you have the app open and are ready to share things. I'm sure on the receiver's end there would be some "Do you want to accept this file?" kind of dialogue box or something to prevent malicious transfers.

Argyle said:
Ehhh, still not sold. The speakers or headphones still have to be put into "discoverable" mode, and at that point the only time I'm saving it not having to enter "0000" on my iPhone as the pair code. And I know that's only for the initial setup, but then we're just going in circles like that AirPlay button discussion going on. I mean once the devices are paired they don't need to touch again, it's just that initial setup. Still seems pointless to me.

Argyle said:
Or you could load the game on your phone and then tap the phones together, which autolaunches the game on the other phone and instantly matchmakes into your own session, without waiting around for Bluetooth scanning to complete or requiring any further user confirmation.
I actually really like this idea of it autolaunching the game on the other person's phone. But then their phone has to be ready to receive the tap signal, right? Like what I was talking about to Marty? Cause otherwise it's always just searching for that tap, wasting battery life? Once again this may just be my ignorance about the technology talking.

Argyle said:
Why would Apple need to buy them if they implemented NFC properly? NFC does everything Bump does and more, and without requiring connection to an external server.
See my response to Marty. They totally wouldn't have to buy them, I was just going off their other acquisitions as an example. I'm confident that, should Apple ever adopt Bump Tech [God forbid], they'll come up with a much easier way of doing it than all that mess you described Bump doing.

Number45

Didn't they actually name check "thunderbolt and lightning" when they announced it? I don't think the intention was any more than to have a catchy name.

I don't know if this has been investigated, but is it possible down the line that they could introduce a Lightning to USB3 or Thunderbolt cable in the future? Not sure if the technology is capable of reaching those faster speeds or not.

Ashhong

I don't get why Lighting and Thunderbolt is confusing to anybody over the age of 10. They have the Thunderbolt standard for their Mac line and whatnot. Lightning is the logical "little brother" to Thunder so to speak. Seems like a no brainer to me.

bionic77

Oh my the battery life on this thing is awful. Please tell me it magically improves after a few days.
Mileage may vary.

It has been great for me. Almost as good as it was with the 4. When I turn BT off I usually get 8+ hours of usage which is usually spent between talking, texting, checking emails and NeoGAF.

Do you have LTE on? Maybe you have a shitty connection to the LTE tower. Turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

tmdorsey

Battery life has been pretty good for me also, seeing 8-9 hours of usage with all settings on except for Bluetooth. Using do a little talk, a bit of gaming, messaging and checking emails/twitter feed.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
S-Beam on the GS3 is totally useless. It is even turned off by default.

As for Android beam. Although more phones have it, it doesn't do much since NFC cannot transfer large amount of data.
I tried to android beam a picture from my HTC EVO LTE to my gf's Galaxy Nexus, and it was a pain in the butt. I had to initiate the connection multiple times, and I don't even remember if it successfully transferred.

It is much easier to send the pics through iMessage. We both have iPhones now.

nib95

Banned
S-Beam on the GS3 is totally useless. It is even turned off by default.

As for Android beam. Although more phones have it, it doesn't do much since NFC cannot transfer large amount of data.
I tried to android beam a picture from my HTC EVO LTE to my gf's Galaxy Nexus, and it was a pain in the butt. I had to initiate the connection multiple times, and I don't even remember if it successfully transferred.

It is much easier to send the pics through iMessage. We both have iPhones now.

Not really sure what you're talking about to be honest. I've s-beamed entire 1080p videos in a matter of seconds. Can't speak for how NFC data transfer works on other phones, but it's effortless and very quick between S3's, for any file size I've tested thus far.

Not really sure what you're talking about to be honest. I've s-beamed entire 1080p videos in a matter of seconds. Can't speak for how NFC data transfer works on other phones, but it's effortless and very quick between S3's, for any file size I've tested thus far.

Megabyte is what we use for statements like this to make sense.

reKon

Banned
Lol didn't think I'd ever see that big of an argument of NFC here...

I did the Android bump thing the other day with my friend who just got a Nexus to send him a picture and to send him a link to modded version of swype for the Nexus screen. It works well and was just really fast and convenient. I don't know how you can hate on that. Though it's not a must have, it has its uses.

After learning more about S-Beam though, I want that shit.

Mileage may vary.

It has been great for me. Almost as good as it was with the 4. When I turn BT off I usually get 8+ hours of usage which is usually spent between talking, texting, checking emails and NeoGAF.

Do you have LTE on? Maybe you have a shitty connection to the LTE tower. Turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have LTE.

My life was down to 70% after an hour and a half out the house. I've been putting airplane mode on and off when I'm listening to music to save battery. My iPhone 4 used to last me a day without heavy Internet usage (streaming etc).

Hari Seldon

I don't have LTE.

My life was down to 70% after an hour and a half out the house. I've been putting airplane mode on and off when I'm listening to music to save battery. My iPhone 4 used to last me a day without heavy Internet usage (streaming etc).

Take that shit back. If I get that performance I am definitely returning it.

reKon

Banned
I don't have LTE.

there's something wrong then, unless you're completely missing something

bionic77

I don't have LTE.

Did you turn LTE off though? If you don't have LTE definitely turn that off. You don't want the phone searching for a service that is not even there.

If that doesn't help I would try a fresh install and see if there is something from an old restore making things janky. If that doesn't help and your battery life still sucks then maybe you got a bum phone and need to take it to Apple.

nib95

Banned
Telling us how long it took you to transfer a 1080p video is kinda meaningless, given how that can vary in size between 1 and infinity MB.

Probably several videos around 20 seconds to 1+min long each. Roughly 50mb to 150mb in size (estimation). They all took <30 seconds, a few in roughly 10secs or less. Can't remember the exact file size nor the exact time it took (wasn't exactly keeping a tally, just wanted to send some birthday vids is all).

Point is, it was hassle free and extremely quick. I don't know what the file size transfer limit is over s beam, but I know it's very large, like 2gigs or more.

Probably several videos around 20 seconds to 1+min long each. Roughly 50mb to 150mb in size (estimation). They all took <30 seconds, a few in roughly 10secs. Can't remember the exact file size nor the exact time it took (wasn't exactly keeping a tally, just wanted to send some birthday vids is all).

Point is, it was hassle free and extremely quick. I don't know what the file size transfer limit is over s beam, but I know it's very large, like 2gigs or more.

Nice.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't use that shit all the time... mainly to sync my music from the computer. That just sounds too awesome. Prepare a drop, touch your computer, bam - music on your phone.

Talon

I don't have LTE.

What location services do you have on? I realized that Downcast was constantly searching locations and killing my battery life (100-58 in 3 hours of no usage), so I turned that off. I got around 8 hours of usage and 22 hours of standby from Saturday-Sunday.

I don't have LTE.

Was having the same problem. Crazy battery drainage. Tried restoring from backup twice and it did nothing. I had to set up as new phone and redownload my apps manually but the battery issues went away.

nib95

Banned
Nice.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't use that shit all the time... mainly to sync my music from the computer. That just sounds too awesome. Prepare a drop, touch your computer, bam - music on your phone.

I'll be honest, I don't use it often but when I do it is of great benefit. So far at parties and birthdays etc I've found s beam and s share or whatever the hell its called, really quite useful. With the latter you don't even have to bump, every photo you take at the event is just auto sent to / shared with whoever else has an S3 (and now Note II) that you want to share with.

Might sound dumb, but if you're with your partner or friends it's useful because if you don't do it, everyone bugs you to send them the pics over Whatsapp or whatever afterwards which is even more bothersome lol.

On a side note, what IS the fastest way to send files from iPhone to iPhone? In the past I've just used email attachments and Whatsapp, and if the file is really big, sendspace links (uploaded via my Mac after syncing).

matt360

I don't have LTE.

I was getting those kinds of numbers too. I ended up exchanging it at an Apple Store today. The new one came with a charge of about 80 percent but two hours later it was down to 40. This was for a brand spankin new phone right out of the box and I hadn't even restored it yet. Since I got home I have restored it and I'll see how it does tomorrow.

Argyle

Because Argyle posited tapping the phone to speakers as being easier compared to another poster's argument for AirPlay. I don't think it is easier than the way AirPlay is set up. Anytime you are looking at media and are near an AirPlay device, an icon automatically pops up giving you the option to AirPlay it. I find this much easier than actually going to the Apple TV and waving your phone, especially because my Apple TV at home is obscured, and usually several yards away from where I am. If it is an actual TV, you're going to have to make the whole TV an NFC antenna to make sure the antennas contact correctly.

You are absolutely correct, when you are kicking back at home, connected to your own wifi.

Where this falls apart is when your buddy comes over and says, "hey, let me show you something on my phone, let me connect to your setup." Looks from here that AirPlay can only discover devices on your local LAN, so it's not like it uses GPS to find every AirPlay server within X feet (and it's not that you should have access to your neighbor's AirPlay just because it is behind your bedroom's wall).

If you're like me, your wifi password was created by smashing the keyboard until you have a 50 character long string of random numbers, letters, and symbols, so I suppose you could give him your password, which may only take a few tries, depending on its complexity. Or you could use WPS (iPhone does support that right? Whaaaa? It doesn't?) which can work remarkably similar to using an NFC tap to get him on there without giving him a long ass password...well, if Apple supported it.

And hey, just to be sure, you don't have any open shares on your network that maybe you don't want your friend getting into, do you? Well, if you do, just make sure you have those buttoned up, or maybe you can configure the router to have a guest network that only provides internet access. On the other hand, maybe having him on the guest network would end up killing AirPlay discovery too...

Or, it could work like this:

I'm almost positive I read something recently saying that AirPlay was being upgraded to skip WiFi networks entirely to work on a device-to-device connection. As in the iPhone creates its own wireless network with the speakers, bypassing the need to get the iPhone and speakers on the same WiFi network. It was called like AirPlay Plus or something.

...and then you would just tap the devices together to initiate the connection, and off you go.

True, I just think the need for the devices to be in such close proximity as to make them touch is obtuse. I'm not saying allow everyone on my block to jump in on my iPhone when I open up AirDrop but a range of 3-5 feet would be ideal.

This is also true, but that's why I suggested it as an app - that way it's only searching when it's open, like Find My Friends only stalks people when you have it open.

But then we have the phone on, always searching for that bump signal from the other phone again. Otherwise, how does the phone know when I'm bumping it against a phone/speaker/printer and not setting it on a table or tossing it in a bag? The bump initiates the connection, yes, but then what tells the phone to prepare for the bump, to search for the signal to connect to? Otherwise, every time the phone hits something, it's looking for a signal. Or perhaps I just don't understand how the tech works.

First off, NFC doesn't really look for the bump. You don't actually need to touch the phones together, and the accelerometer is not used. The range is very short (like I said, about an inch or less, between my phone and my tablet ~1cm seems about as far away as they can be) so for the purpose of telling people who have never used it, it's easier to just say you need to tap the devices together. NFC does not use much power so you can leave it on all the time. (This is part of the reason why the range is so short, if you were generating a large enough field to power a passive tag from a few feet away, you'd kill your battery really quickly.) I may get this wrong but my understanding of it is that your phone is obviously an active NFC antenna (can send/receive and initiate connections) and there are also passive NFC antennas (basically RFID, you see these in NFC enabled posters and stickers).

Passive NFC needs to be powered wirelessly by an active NFC antenna. Again, this is why the range is short. The active antenna induces a current in the passive antenna with a magnetic field, and this gives the passive antenna enough juice to chirp back a small amount of data. This is how things like RFID entry badges/keycards and tags work, too.

Passive NFC can be used for obvious stuff like putting URLs on posters and stuff. But I've seen NFC stickers for sale that some people use to automate tasks. For example, maybe you put one on your desk at home and when you rest your phone on it, it autoconfigures itself to turn on wifi and and silence all but emergency calls from your work.

Anyway, a lot of the problems you talk about (not being able to tell if it was tossed in a bag vs. pairing with the printer, etc.) are all problems that are solved by the short range. It's also convenient to not have to turn things on and wait...that's the exact problem that NFC is trying to solve. All you need is for your phone to be unlocked with the screen on (and I have seen hacks that disable even that, leaving NFC on all the time but that seems like a bad idea to me) and you're ready to receive. Want to send something? Go into the app you want to send from and then just hold the phones together.

Ok, I understand things better now. Is this WiFi Direct tech things that only Samsung phones have, like is it their creation? Or is it just general tech that they happened to impliment into their phones first?

Wi-fi Direct is a standard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

It's built into stock Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) so pretty much any fairly new Android phone can use it: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.0-highlights.html

Good points. That's why I described it as being an app though. That way it's not always on, it's only on and connecting when you have the app open and are ready to share things. I'm sure on the receiver's end there would be some "Do you want to accept this file?" kind of dialogue box or something to prevent malicious transfers.

I actually really like this idea of it autolaunching the game on the other person's phone. But then their phone has to be ready to receive the tap signal, right? Like what I was talking about to Marty? Cause otherwise it's always just searching for that tap, wasting battery life? Once again this may just be my ignorance about the technology talking.

See, I think this is what makes NFC cool. It's low power enough that you can leave it on all the time, and it eliminates a lot of steps (confirmation dialogue boxes shouldn't be necessary because both screens are unlocked and you need to get within an inch of the other phone, which would be hard to do without permission, and autolaunching a game on the receiving end is totally possible because it's on all the time).

Top Bottom