• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Virgin Mobile USA adds iPhone 5 on June 28

You've been able to get an iPhone 4 through Virgin Mobile USA for a while, and the company announced Friday that starting next week, you'll be able to get the iPhone 5 too. It's priced starting at $549.99, and Virgin's offering a discount that nets you voice and data for as little as $30 per month.
http://www.imore.com/virgin-mobile-usa-adds-iphone-5-june-28

exactly 52 weeks after they started selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an app that allows me to view animated GIFs that I have saved down to my phone? I can view animated GIFs in my browser but once I save them down I can no longer view the animation...

Dazzler

Is there an app that allows me to view animated GIFs that I have saved down to my phone? I can view animated GIFs in my browser but once I save them down I can no longer view the animation...

you can text animated gifs to other people with iphones. Just save and attach to a standard text message

RBH

After Best Buy hosted an iPhone trade-in day earlier this month, the retailer has decided to do it again -- but this time, the deal will last for nine days.

The way the program works is that customers can bring in an iPhone 4S or 4 and trade it for a brand new iPhone 5, according to USA Today. Between June 21 and June 29, Best Buy will give customers a $150 trade-in credit for their old phone, which makes the iPhone 5 free (the 16GB iPhone 5 currently costs $149.99 at Best Buy with a $50 instant rebate).

The only out-of-pocket costs for the customer will be any applicable sales tax on the new phone and any applicable carrier activation fees. Customers must be eligible for an upgrade and activate the iPhone 5 on a two-year contract with Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint to take advantage of the offer. Also, the deal isn't available online -- customers have to go to Best Buy's retail stores.

The tech retailer did the exact same iPhone trade-in program on June 1 and apparently it was successful. According to USA Today, Best Buy said it was its biggest day ever for the trade-in program, which has gone on for the last four years.

The move by Best Buy comes as the retailer boosts its focus on mobile devices and other tech gadgets. Besides matching online pricing for the devices it sells, Best Buy also plans to feature more partners' products, such as the Samsung mini shops that just opened within all Best Buy stores.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...ring-free-iphone-5-in-its-trade-in-promotion/

I recently had a issue where my siri wasn't responding on my 5. I was holding the button home down and nothing was happening. I had to close the phone and reopen it. Now its working but im scared that it will screw up as soon as my year is up for the guarantee. Any advice?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Virgin Mobile USA adds iPhone 5 on June 28

http://www.imore.com/virgin-mobile-usa-adds-iphone-5-june-28

exactly 52 weeks after they started selling the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S
Also exactly 52 weeks since I bought an iPhone 4S from them.

I need to keep myself from giving in and buying one. I don't need it. My 4S works great and I assume if I wait another 52 weeks they'll get the 5S next June. I do like that it's $100 cheaper than the 4S was last year. I wonder why.

I don't suppose Radio Shack gives a hundred or so for a traded in prepaid iPhone? lol

I am happy to know that as long as stick with Virgin, I will always eventually have the option to own the latest iPhone version. Even if it is 9 months after it comes out. (And 3 months before the next version comes out.)

Kibbles

So I can upgrade my phone on July 10th. I have my old Infuse 4G right now since my screen cracked on my Nexus 4. I was thinking about a HTC One but I figured the next iPhone is probably right around the corner so I was thinking of holding off until then. Has there been any leaks on the next iteration of the iPhone?

CrankyJay

Banned
Welp, I might take the plunge on an iPhone 5...

My wife and I both have iphone4 and Best Buy will basically give you a free iphone 5 with 2 year contract if you trade in your old phone and the phone is in decent condition.

My phone has a single crack so they'd give me $60 less but this still might be a decent deal rather than shelling out $400 plus for the next iPhone.

What do you guys think? Take the plunge? I guess I just don't care anymore about having the latest iPhone or a different phone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/06/19/best-buy-free-iphone-trade-in/2439665/

idwl

Ive had my phone for around 7 months now, today for the first time the screen started flickering around th edges. It went away after a while. Is this a hardware or software issue. I havent updated my os in a while since whenever the last update came about or installed any new apps. Anyone know why?

Infinity

Dropped my iPhone in a sink full of soapy water earlier... It's having time out in a bag of rice at the moment. Hope it all goes well...

It should be okay. My friend dropped his in a tub of water and the rice bag dried it out for him. He forgot to power it down completely too, and it's still okay.

Hope all goes well!

mrkgoo

Dropped my iPhone in a sink full of soapy water earlier... It's having time out in a bag of rice at the moment. Hope it all goes well...
Do not play with this! Leave it in there for twice as long as you feel you should. Fight the urge to power it up, because that's when it actually breaks.

My wife left her iPod nano in her jacket pocket and it went through an entire washing machine cycle. Put it in a bag with those silicon packs for like a week. Works like a champ.

I don't have high hopes for your phone though. My sister dunked hers in a cup of coffee. It still worked but home button died. iPhones seem much more prone to this sort of abuse.

mrkgoo

Ive had my phone for around 7 months now, today for the first time the screen started flickering around th edges. It went away after a while. Is this a hardware or software issue. I havent updated my os in a while since whenever the last update came about or installed any new apps. Anyone know why?

Flickering as in The backlight? Sounds more like a hardware thing to me. But you know, you should update the software if you're not jail breaking.

Gannd

Banned
Is it worth getting an iPhone 5 now? I know the new phone will be out this October but my wife lost her phone and her contract is up on the first.

Ok I give up !! iPhone 5 issues with wi-fi is killing me !!!

I even bought a new router for the house just avoid that issue, 2 days worked fine and now here we go again with the same problem !

it can't connect and gives me this

65923_10153011954080290_629198512_n.jpg

other devices works fine even iphone 4, but not the 5 !!!!

any suggestions?

If i press on an image and press copy and then paste it somewhere in the browser it shows up as blank. The only way i can get it is to go the address bar, click paste, copy it from there and then paste it in the browser

ChanHuk

Banned
Well my earspeaker isn't working on my iPhone 5, goodbye jailbreak. Time to update to 6.1.4 and go to Apple.....I hate going there.

celebi23

My i4 broke which I purchased at launch in 2010.

As such I don't have a contract right now.

Is there no way I can buy a new phone at discount now and get the 5S at discount?

ChanHuk

Banned
My i4 broke which I purchased at launch in 2010.

As such I don't have a contract right now.

Is there no way I can buy a new phone at discount now and get the 5S at discount?

Quit being a degenerate and buy a used iPhone 4 for cheap. I think they go for like $150.

Quit being a degenerate and buy a used iPhone 4 for cheap. I think they go for like $150.
I've looked on craiglist and the delusional assholes in my area think they can charge $250+ for busted i4s.

I'm just going to buy the 5 tomorrow. Fuck. If they upgrade the camera on the 5S I'm going to be pissed.

ChanHuk

Banned
I've looked on craiglist and the delusional assholes in my area think they can charge $250+ for busted i4s.

I'm just going to buy the 5 tomorrow. Fuck. If they upgrade the camera on the 5S I'm going to be pissed.

I have a Lumia 900 you can use for 3 months.....then again I don't trust sconis.

alterno69

Banned
I just want to say i've had my 5 for three weeks now, coming from a 4s, i love this thing, the battery is a great improvement over the 4s, and it's such a sexy phone, i'm going commando with it, no case, only a screen on the front. I have the black one btw, so pretty.

AEREC

I just want to say i've had my 5 for three weeks now, coming from a 4s, i love this thing, the battery is a great improvement over the 4s, and it's such a sexy phone, i'm going commando with it, no case, only a screen on the front. I have the black one btw, so pretty.

Im coming from a 4S and got a 5 at launch and while I like the bigger screen it hasnt been as reliable for me.

Had to swap out my first iPhone 5 because the home button stopped working, now the power button on the top of this replacement phone has stopped working half the time. Additionally there appears to be dust inside the camera lense. Both iPhone 5's Ive had had shitty battery life compared to the 4S.

Hoping I can swap it out again at the Apple store since I haven't even had it a year.

so my iPhone 5 accidentally fell in a 3 inch water. Took it out right away.
Pandora was still playing. everything seems fine.
Without thinking, I plug the sucker to charge. Then I heard Pandora stopped. looked at the screen rebooting with blue screen of death. Then dead

OH SHIT

went to Apple store that afternoon, thinking of an excuse to exchange it for a new one. Guy saw it took water so I have to pay $250 for replacement, but he turned on the power button and there was a low-batt indicator.

I told the guy to hold on and let me charge it first. if its fix. screw ur $250. I charged it for 20mins. Lo and behold its working

that was 2 weeks ago. iPhone is still working. Apple makes reliable product

kakashi08

I got my iPhone 5 unlocked from Sprint, I told them I'm going overseas for a week or two.
I was wondering when I come back, will I be able to use it on any other USA carrier? I asked them and they said no, that it will only work overseas and not in the USA.

So is there a way I can use it? without jailbreaking it.

I was checking out a friends GS4 the other day and loved the bigger screen. Then I pulled out the iPhone 5 and watched some YouTube. But I feel the screen's too small to comfortably watch video after having watched some video on a 5" or even 4.7" display.

neptunes

I got my iPhone 5 unlocked from Sprint, I told them I'm going overseas for a week or two.
I was wondering when I come back, will I be able to use it on any other USA carrier? I asked them and they said no, that it will only work overseas and not in the USA.

So is there a way I can use it? without jailbreaking it.
Does sprint operate under CDMA? If so, then you're sort of put of luck

sangreal

Does sprint operate under CDMA? If so, then you're sort of put of luck

the spring and verizon iphone 5 support both cdma and gsm. It does not support the LTE frequencies for the north american GSM carriers though, so if you use it on one of those you will lose lte

Top Bottom