• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I stopped using Mint when it took way too long to update the changes in my Chase account. Have they fixed that delay by now?

I actually get updates in notification center every day with my balance from the Chase app, that works pretty well for me.

Husker86

I stopped using Mint when it took way too long to update the changes in my Chase account. Have they fixed that delay by now?

I actually get updates in notification center every day with my balance from the Chase app, that works pretty well for me.
I have two cards on a Chase account and that is probably the only account I've never had an issue with. Pending transactions show up as fast as they do on Chase's website.

JDeluis

So my volume down button on my iPhone has stopped working. I'm going to make an appointment to get it fixed. Anybody else had the same problem?

I am kinda thinking of holding off on my macbook savings and getting a smartphone for the first time being a machead as I am the iPhone is the only choice but should I get a 4S and save some money or get a 5?

mrkgoo

I am kinda thinking of holding off on my macbook savings and getting a smartphone for the first time being a machead as I am the iPhone is the only choice but should I get a 4S and save some money or get a 5?
How much money are you really saving? $100?

With the 5, you get the newest and neatest, a bigger and better screen, a faster processor, more storage and more ram (this makes a big difference to the illusion of multitasking). Also, better cameras, better audio, thinner and lighter design. Saving this money on getting a 4s is a false economy in my opinion. At the very least, you'll get another year of use at the other end when the 4s is dropped from iOS support whereas the 5 will be supported.

numble

I honestly would wait for the next one at this point. It should be about 3 months away. Especially if you are buying on contract.

How much money are you really saving? $100?

With the 5, you get the newest and neatest, a bigger and better screen, a faster processor, more storage and more ram (this makes a big difference to the illusion of multitasking). Also, better cameras, better audio, thinner and lighter design. Saving this money on getting a 4s is a false economy in my opinion. At the very least, you'll get another year of use at the other end when the 4s is dropped from iOS support whereas the 5 will be supported.

5 obviously. or Wait for 5S. Either way, don't get a 4S.

good points, thanks

I honestly would wait for the next one at this point. It should be about 3 months away. Especially if you are buying on contract.

very true but a bigger screen will be the thing to make me have a little regret about it but if I waited this would just be macbook money not really caring much abut the latest and greatest phone just wanted to finally get off my old habit of buying $40 phones and seeing so many things using smartphones these days like bank deposits and such... this will be prepaid from an MVNO carrier so the next iPhone could take a long time getting to those prepaid carriers

dubc35

Any advice on how to move a 530MB video file from an iphone 5 to my computer? I've tried drag/drop, copy/paste and camera import wizard, and all of them after iterations of rebooting my iphone and laptop. None have worked so far. All other videos (<200MB) and photos transfer fine but not for this video.

~2008 Sony Vaio laptop, XP SP3
iPhone 5 with updated software
USB driver is updated

dubc35

I've tried seemingly every way but it errors out. I'm going to try on my work laptop tonight. Not sure why only this video doesn't transfer. It plays fine on my iphone. It's not anything special but it's annoying that it won't copy. Oh well, we'll see when I try it tonight.

DarkJC

I ran into the same problem transferring videos. I googled a bit and found Apple support forum posts recommending this software: iTools

It basically gives you access to the file structure of the iPhone, and you can dig around in there to find your videos and use the "Export" button to copy them out to your computer. It worked, unlike attempting to copy them from within Windows Explorer.

dubc35

I ran into the same problem transferring videos. I googled a bit and found Apple support forum posts recommending this software: iTools

It basically gives you access to the file structure of the iPhone, and you can dig around in there to find your videos and use the "Export" button to copy them out to your computer. It worked, unlike attempting to copy them from within Windows Explorer.

Cool, thanks. I'll check that out.

e* Thanks that worked well and on the first time.

Sethos

Banned
What are the odds of the 5S being announced Monday? I'm looking to get rid of my Lumia 920 in a hurry as it's making my life a misery, I want to get back to Apple but I'm not buying a 5 if the next version is just around the corner, I'd suffer from horrible buyer's remorse :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've had my iPhone for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with it. As my first smartphone, I think I made a pretty good choice. Only downside for me is the disappointing battery life. If I surf using 3G, the battery drains really fast. Same with more graphically demanding games, but that's not surprising. But 3G takes the cake. I try not to use it too often.
When I put my iPad on standby, the battery depletes very slowly. With the iPhone it seems to go pretty fast. On a day with heavy usage it barely makes it through the day.

mrkgoo

I've had my iPhone for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with it. As my first smartphone, I think I made a pretty good choice. Only downside for me is the disappointing battery life. If I surf using 3G, the battery drains really fast. Same with more graphically demanding games, but that's not surprising. But 3G takes the cake. I try not to use it too often.
When I put my iPad on standby, the battery depletes very slowly. With the iPhone it seems to go pretty fast. On a day with heavy usage it barely makes it through the day.
Battery life depends on many factors, but each I hear you.

I get the standard 10 or so usage hours on wifi, which is what it's specced to do, but I get only 5 on 3G. I imagine its to do with our network and my battery is pretty standard.

Garret

Guys, I'm having some trouble with a function of my iPhone and I'm pretty sure you'll know how to fix it. Alas, I just simply don't have a clue.

I ran into some trouble with my GMAIL account about a month ago, where it wouldn't download my new mails and said that there was something wrong. I worked around it and got to fix it, but I had to put it under "Other Mail Accounts" or something like that, not the GMAIL/HOTMAIL/ETC option. The thing is, I had things in the Calendar app that got erased (no biggie, I entered them again), the problem is this: I keep getting the mail notifications of the things that were in the calendar before the problem, how can I stop them? (besides sending them to the spam folder)

Thanks a bunch, guys, and sorry for my rambling on!

Asking a question about my 4S because I don't know where else to ask:

I recently formatted and reinstalled everything because my phone wasn't running very smoothly, and now everything's even worse. A lot worse.

Text messaging CONSTANTLY hitches and temporarily freezes to an unacceptably frequent extent. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do to fix it?

lionelhutz

Asking a question about my 4S because I don't know where else to ask:

I recently formatted and reinstalled everything because my phone wasn't running very smoothly, and now everything's even worse. A lot worse.

Text messaging CONSTANTLY hitches and temporarily freezes to an unacceptably frequent extent. Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do to fix it?

After the format did you restore any part of a backup or setup the phone as new?

So its been a few times now that my iphone 5 will just shut off as if the battery is dead, but the battery meter still was displaying anywhere near 10-15%. I have an appointment at the apple store today, but was wondering if anyone had experienced issues like that?

mrkgoo

So its been a few times now that my iphone 5 will just shut off as if the battery is dead, but the battery meter still was displaying anywhere near 10-15%. I have an appointment at the apple store today, but was wondering if anyone had experienced issues like that?
How often have you calibrated your battery?

Assuming its still how battery percentage is estimated, you run the battery flat (possibly from full without a charge in between, not sure), until its like really dead. Then charge it up to full again, uninterrupted.

This basically let's the power management know what zero and what 100% is. For macs, it was always recommended to be done within a few weeks of getting a new battery and every month or two to maintain accuracy.

It's possible your battery has lost some overall capacity, but is inaccurate in gauging it if you have never calibrated.

Just a note again on battery life, it's wildly fluctuating depending on circumstance. I used to get the reported 10 hours on wifi, but recently it has taken a dive to maybe 8. Then I realised it was because I spent all day yesterday on neogaf, constantly hitting refresh and forcing pages to load, and it just sitting there trying to but not being able to because had was unstable. It drained my battery mug more quickly than just regular intermittent browsing. Today it's back to 10 hours.

LosDaddie

Banned
iPhone-GAF: Where can I buy iPhone 5 cases? I'm looking for some comic and/or gaming cases to have before I get my new iPhone next month.

I don't really care for those Otter boxes. And I may just not go with a case.

Thanks in advance.

How often have you calibrated your battery?

Assuming its still how battery percentage is estimated, you run the battery flat (possibly from full without a charge in between, not sure), until its like really dead. Then charge it up to full again, uninterrupted.

This basically let's the power management know what zero and what 100% is. For macs, it was always recommended to be done within a few weeks of getting a new battery and every month or two to maintain accuracy.

I have actually done the battery calibration at regular intervals like you recommend, but for some reason the problem still happens. The battery life definitely seems to have lost overall charge capacity. I guess I will see what they say at the apple store and report back!

Fuck verzion. With that said, is there any possible way to buy an iphone 5 unlocked to use on Verizon? My father needs a new phone as soon as possible and he wants an iphone, but doesn't have an upgrade for a while.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So my wife and I have Verizon iPhone 5s and we're heading to Italy and then France in a couple of days. Is there any way I can use them in Europe? Suggestions?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Verizon iPhone 5s are SIM unlocked so you can use a local prepaid SIM there if you choose to.

How does it work? I'm sort of clueless here, just pop the one that's in there out and put a new one in?

Husker86

How does it work? I'm sort of clueless here, just pop the one that's in there out and put a new one in?

Yep! Should be easy to find prepaid SIMs in European airports/cities (compared to the US).

I assume your goal is to use it to dial locally (to where you're traveling) right? Not for calling back home?

Angry Grimace

Yep! Should be easy to find prepaid SIMs in European airports/cities (compared to the US).

I assume your goal is to use it to dial locally (to where you're traveling) right? Not for calling back home?

Basically. I imagined I would just use data or whatever to check up back home, although my bare internet research suggests calling back home isn't tremendously expensive either.

iPhone-GAF: Where can I buy iPhone 5 cases? I'm looking for some comic and/or gaming cases to have before I get my new iPhone next month.

I don't really care for those Otter boxes. And I may just not go with a case.

Thanks in advance.
hard to find comic book cases so I have to make mine using getuncommon cases
they have the gallery cases where u can swap back plates
ibsI7xX3InXSQw.JPG

Laranja

Hey guys, I just upgraded from an 2nd-generation iPod touch to a 5th-generation model, and I have a question: is the iPod still connected to the Wi-Fi network when locked? I can't seem to find out exactly, but it seems to be the case.

I'm assuming that, since the OS is the same, it works the same way on the iPod and the iPhone.

DarkJC

I don't think they do work quite the same actually. I know that on the iPhone it turns wifi off when you put it to sleep to save power, but thats probably because it's also still connected to the cell network.

I assume on the iPod touch that it would keep the wifi connection alive because it's the only way to stay connected.

I really like the phone more than I thought I would coming from a dumb phone I did not expect to find it so useful

One problem I did not see coming is regretting not getting 64GB I did not know I would enjoy listening to music on it so much :(

jts

...hate me...
I really like the phone more than I thought I would coming from a dumb phone I did not expect to find it so useful

One problem I did not see coming is regretting not getting 64GB I did not know I would enjoy listening to music on it so much :(
Get an iTunes Match subscription. Download and dismiss local music on the fly.

Man, I so badly want to upgrade my phone to the iPhone 5, but I just don't know if I should wait for the 5S or if it'll be that much different. I have this piece of crap HTC inspire and it's fucking killing me. It is seriously the worst phone I've ever had. You guys think it would be wise to just stick it out or are the chances that the 5S being that much better than the 5 not really that high?

Laranja

I don't think they do work quite the same actually. I know that on the iPhone it turns wifi off when you put it to sleep to save power, but thats probably because it's also still connected to the cell network.

I assume on the iPod touch that it would keep the wifi connection alive because it's the only way to stay connected.

That makes sense! I don't think it's affecting my battery life all that much (it used to completely kill my 2nd-gen's), so I guess it's really no big deal.

Thanks!

mrkgoo

It's a phone! It's an iPod! It's a revolutionary Internet communicator! It's a phone! It's a....

Did you think everyone else was just crazy? The consumer smartphone has revolutionised how we diva lot of things. It has changed my life in many ways.

I'm actually kind of curious to see how you use yours, coming in relatively late and with such a huge leap.

It's a GREAT iPod. And listening to local music makes very little impact on battery life too!

mrkgoo

Have a quick question..

Can your phone company or Apple see the notes on your phone?
TECHNICALLY, the data for notes, if you have iCloud on, goes through the carrier. And it resides on Apple's servers.

But I doubt they'd ever care or look what's on there. Even do they could access individual accounts.

mrkgoo

Ok so we know that if you have iCloud backup turned on, it turns off automatic backups to iTunes. You can also still initiate a manual backup to itunes should you so wish.

However, I was wondering what happens if you turn OFF backups to, say, camera roll from iCloud - and then initiate a manual backup to iTunes. Does it not backup the camera roll as well? Or does a manual backup always backup the whole thing?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok so we know that if you have iCloud backup turned on, it turns off automatic backups to iTunes. You can also still initiate a manual backup to itunes should you so wish.

However, I was wondering what happens if you turn OFF backups to, say, camera roll from iCloud - and then initiate a manual backup to iTunes. Does it not backup the camera roll as well? Or does a manual backup always backup the whole thing?

Afaik, iTunes backups are all or nothing.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Just got an iPhone 5 today and iTunes asked me if I wanted to set it up as a new iPhone or backup/restore from a previous iPhone and I chose the latter since my iPhone 4 had everything, but that was over an hour ago.

Are restores supposed to take this long?

mrkgoo

Just got an iPhone 5 today and iTunes asked me if I wanted to set it up as a new iPhone or backup/restor from a previous iPhone and I just the latter since my iPhone 4 had everything, but that was over an hour ago.

Are restores supposed to take this long?
Depends on how much stuff you had. It goes through phases. First it might actually install the os if its outdated (don't think so though for a new phone). It will copy the saved data. Then it will try to install all your apps, either by syncing from iTunes or redownloading them. Ten it will sync other media.

Top Bottom