• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mrkgoo

I think the iPhone 5c is real and actually replaces the iphone5.

There'll be the new flagship, the iPhone 5s that isn't much different, and then the cheaper iPhone 5c. They'll get rid of the iPhone 4, and maybe even the 4s.

Suen

So whenever I use video chat on skype and my finger comes close to the camera the screen goes black...and as soon as I move it away it turns on again. Why? I don't recall having this problem when I used an Ipod Touch 4 for two years.

mooooose

So whenever I use video chat on skype and my finger comes close to the camera the screen goes black...and as soon as I move it away it turns on again. Why? I don't recall having this problem when I used an Ipod Touch 4 for two years.
There is a light sensor that you are blocking and it thinks the phone is up to your ear.

Minamu

This is more an iOS question maybe. My mom has a 4S and was asked by her small business firm to send out a mass text to old customers, maybe 150 of them, to get them to come back. I don't know if all this is legal over here but that's besides the point. Anyway, mom is supposed to use her own phone and she doesn't want these customers to know her private number, mostly because getting responses from 150+ people would drive her insane xD Is it possible to send text messages without showing the number? I know bigger companies or the service provider can do it but this is obviously on a smaller scale. I saw you could start new conversations via an email address which is always something I guess but potential responses woild still pop up and make a sound on her phone that way, right? Normally I wouldn't care but it has fallen on me to manually add all these customer numbers to a text list xD

lupinko

Fellow iPhone5GAF, I have some questions, it appears there seems to be an issue with my sleep button. Now I have not ever dropped or caused any damage to my iPhone 5, I use various cases, and even ghost armor on top of that while being careful when using the phone. So it's perplexing that it's being unresponsive and this only started recently happening, oddly enough when I upgraded to iOS 7 beta (I did get it registered by a dev).

So basically, I don't know if it's the button just failing (I read online on some other forums that the 5's sleep button does become unresponsive) or if it's related to the beta itself (the new fade animation while cool does take time as opposed to just shutting off or turning on the screen like previous iOS versions).

My 1 year warranty is going to be up this year (I bought it Sept 29th apparently but it didn't ship until sometime in Oct and I only got it in November iirc of last year).

So if it is a hardware issue, I should get it replaced or repaired right away under warranty, and if that is the case does anyone know when the warranty starts? Is it from the day of purchase or when it was shipped? I bought this directly from apple via the Apple Store app so I have the record of the purchase. But I'm also using beta software that I'm not supposed to be using really, so gaf what should I do?

ecurbj

Fellow iPhone5GAF, I have some questions, it appears there seems to be an issue with my sleep button. Now I have not ever dropped or caused any damage to my iPhone 5, I use various cases, and even ghost armor on top of that while being careful when using the phone. So it's perplexing that it's being unresponsive and this only started recently happening, oddly enough when I upgraded to iOS 7 beta (I did get it registered by a dev).

So basically, I don't know if it's the button just failing (I read online on some other forums that the 5's sleep button does become unresponsive) or if it's related to the beta itself (the new fade animation while cool does take time as opposed to just shutting off or turning on the screen like previous iOS versions).

My 1 year warranty is going to be up this year (I bought it Sept 29th apparently but it didn't ship until sometime in Oct and I only got it in November iirc of last year).

So if it is a hardware issue, I should get it replaced or repaired right away under warranty, and if that is the case does anyone know when the warranty starts? Is it from the day of purchase or when it was shipped? I bought this directly from apple via the Apple Store app so I have the record of the purchase. But I'm also using beta software that I'm not supposed to be using really, so gaf what should I do?
Do a restore back to iOS 6. And wait till the official release of iOS 7 is out. I'm sure that's your problem though. Software beta's will mess up hardware response time. I had that happen to me when I had iOS 7 Beta 4 installed. I would hit the sleep bottom and the click sound wouldn't even initiate until a few seconds later.

Just downgrade back to iOS 6. Trust me. There is nothing wrong with your iPhone 5. And if you was to take it to the Apple Store they would just tell you that you should restore back to iOS 6.

SuperPac

My sleep-wake button had been acting up and becoming hit-or-miss unresponsive before iOS7 came out, then only got progressively worse over the past couple months. I too had the beta installed on my phone. Made an appointment at the genius bar, brought it in, they took a look at the button's operation and did a restore, button still borked, and they exchanged it for a replacement phone. I do have AppleCare, but the switcheroo was painless and since I was under warranty, without charge. I backed up the morning of my appointment.

You should be able to check your warranty info on apple's site - https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

BTW I accidentally bricked my phone temporarily 'cuz I installed iOS7 on it before I added the UDID of the device to my developer profile. The phone wouldn't activate. Had to use Xcode to even GET to the UDID - iTunes wouldn't spit it out. So. You know. Be careful with that if you end up doing the exchange.

lupinko

Thanks to the above posts, since the Golden master will be out soon ill just wait for that to determine if it is indeed software or hardware related. I have until the end of September anyway.

Edit: after playing around with this more and doing more tests, this does seem to be iOS 7 beta related, so yay? Well when it's with regards to hardware anyway.

Is there a way to find out where a picture was taken without hooking it up to a PC? I see the Places tab which shows you photos taken at a location, but is there a way to select a photo and it show you on a map where it was taken?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a way to find out where a picture was taken without hooking it up to a PC? I see the Places tab which shows you photos taken at a location, but is there a way to select a photo and it show you on a map where it was taken?

Tap the location, it'll bring up the map.

Talon

I have zero willpower. My phone's screen broke and I'm thinking of just getting an iPhone 5 today. Despite knowing about Sept 10th
What carrier are you on? Just buy one of those cheap $100-120 phones (Lumia 520) as a backup phone until then.

The new device will be out in less than a month.

Sarye

My button stopped working too though I noticed it before iOS7. It's most likely lint or stuff getting stuck as for me, the button only worked on one side. I brought it in to an apple store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. If you are within a year warranty I would suggest you do that. Also, doesn't need to be said but you should downgrade back to iOS6 if you do bring it in. To me, you might as well do it and get a new phone.

What carrier are you on? Just buy one of those cheap $100-120 phones (Lumia 520) as a backup phone until then.

The new device will be out in less than a month.
That wouldn't work. $100 $120 price is on contract. If you have friends on the same carrier with an old phone I would suggest borrowing it for now. I always keep an old phone around just incase something happens.

giga

My button stopped working too though I noticed it before iOS7. It's most likely lint or stuff getting stuck as for me, the button only worked on one side. I brought it in to an apple store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. If you are within a year warranty I would suggest you do that. Also, doesn't need to be said but you should downgrade back to iOS6 if you do bring it in. To me, you might as well do it and get a new phone.

That wouldn't work. $100 $120 price is on contract. If you have friends on the same carrier with an old phone I would suggest borrowing it for now. I always keep an old phone around just incase something happens.
No it's not.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E45043A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

giga

Vsco cam, camera+, and camera awesome can all show exif info and includes a map. Koredoko is a dedicated GPS viewer.

Talon

Nope. The Lumia 520/521 are $100/$120 off contract.

Necrovex

Need some help: I just bought The Last Express for my iPhone 5. I got the message that I didn't have enough space for it (1.36 gb), so I cleared off a gig off my iPhone of old junk. So I have 2.3 gb, and the download states that I still don't have enough, which shouldn't be the case. Can anyone assist me with this problem? I really wanna play this classic of a title.

mrkgoo

Need some help: I just bought The Last Express for my iPhone 5. I got the message that I didn't have enough space for it (1.36 gb), so I cleared off a gig off my iPhone of old junk. So I have 2.3 gb, and the download states that I still don't have enough, which shouldn't be the case. Can anyone assist me with this problem? I really wanna play this classic of a title.

2 factors.

1) many of the downloaded apps are actually compressed and need uncompressing. The apps typically take up more space than their download size.

2) the apps will often require about double to take account for the app downlaod and the space it will take uncompressed. Afterwards it will delete the download.

Necrovex

2 factors.

1) many of the downloaded apps are actually compressed and need uncompressing. The apps typically take up more space than their download size.

2) the apps will often require about double to take account for the app downlaod and the space it will take uncompressed. Afterwards it will delete the download.

Thanks for the info. I'll clear up enough space later tonight.

snack

Anyone know where I can find this wallpaper?

PdLM6h9.png

lupinko

Yeah I figured, I'm just going to wait for Goldmaster release though, the button works 100% if I press it in all the way (but not hard or anything), I can no longer half press or slight tap it anymore like I used to prior. But my issues mainly started when I used the beta, so who knows, but I think I'll probably just make use of the warranty anyway for a new one in September.

Quick

Banned
Will there be a huge difference between the 5 and 5S? I'm tempted to jump on a deal for the 5 right now.

Still decisions to make, not just on the hardware.

mrkgoo

Will there be a huge difference between the 5 and 5S? I'm tempted to jump on a deal for the 5 right now.

Still decisions to make, not just on the hardware.

Just a hunch, but if there's a deal now it's probably a deal to catch final suckers before the iPhone 5s is announced.

That is, there may be even BETTER deals once announced, depending on what happens with the iPhone 5S and what they will do with the 5 and 5c.

Quick

Banned
Just a hunch, but if there's a deal now it's probably a deal to catch final suckers before the iPhone 5s is announced.

That is, there may be even BETTER deals once announced, depending on what happens with the iPhone 5S and what they will do with the 5 and 5c.

Excellent point.

That's 0 for "Do it", 2 for "Don't do it". :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Kind of a two-fold question here.

1) Is there a rumored 5s date yet?
2) How does one preorder a 5s? My wife is ready for an upgrade (has been for like 4 months), but I told her the 5s is worth waiting for. Not sure how that works though. Can I just go into my local AT&T store and have them hold one?

mrkgoo

A generic iOS question:

My sister has moved from her iPhone to an Android device (because of the screen size!). She just moved the SIM into her new phone.

She wants to continue using iMessage on her iPhone, but not for that phone number.

I know you can switch iMessage off, and FaceTime, but is there a way to leave them on, but not have her phone number associated with those services, seeing as she moved the phone number to another phone?

I thought just turning both those services off and on again would do it, as there is no sim in the iPhone, but while it waits for activation, her phone number pops up in the list again,

Is there anyway of transfering a iMovie projekt on my macbook air to the camera roll on my iPhone 5?

I cant understand why this is so hard to implement into the iOS. only way for me to transfer a imovie projekt is either to my iTunes, youtube, vimeo or media player on Macbook air.....

I need the video file to show up in the Camera roll as I need to be able to use it on instagram

Futureman

did I miss anything? are the only rumnors for the new iPhone a gold color, iOS 7 and a finger print scanner? and obviously faster chips inside.

mrkgoo

Is there anyway of transfering a iMovie projekt on my macbook air to the camera roll on my iPhone 5?

I cant understand why this is so hard to implement into the iOS. only way for me to transfer a imovie projekt is either to my iTunes, youtube, vimeo or media player on Macbook air.....

I need the video file to show up in the Camera roll as I need to be able to use it on instagram

Not sure really, but instagram was always about sharing from the mobile device itself, right? ISn't it more a limitation in instagram that it doesn't look elsewhere, rather than that of the iPhone? Pretty sure other apps tend to be able to access other albums.

Again, not sure, just thinking aloud.

did I miss anything? are the only rumnors for the new iPhone a gold color, iOS 7 and a finger print scanner? and obviously faster chips inside.

iPhone 5C - plastic iphone in colours, where it sits and specs are up in teh air
graphite 5S
possible 128 GB version
better camera, Larger LED flash.
who knows, maybe faster Wifi and other stuff as well.

Top Bottom