• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Gonna be a nice upgrade from my 4. One question though - is there an off-contract model that can be used on both the ATT and/or Verizon/Sprint networks?

Yes... BUT be careful. A lot of people reported that when going through the checkout process there was a little box that was auto-checked or something which, if left that way, would put you into some new contract that would take you out of this.

I'd take that bet with you. Was that way with the 4S - being able to retain your unlimited data.

Ha now I am kind of paranoid. Maybe I should just call ATT up and order it over the phone to be sure what I am getting.

Rengoku

Kind of underwhelming to be honest...

I'll hold off until the reviews. Really, the only two things that would make me upgrade to a 5 is how the camera and battery life compares against the competition. If there's a significant upgrade for both, I might jump on it, otherwise it'll be android for me.

L1NETT

Alright bit of help here please

I planned on getting the next iphone (before this announcement), as it coincided nicely with the end of my contract (first ever Iphone) and because my Blackberry is awful.

Should I go with it (seeing as the small jumps between this and the 4S are irrelevant for me) or get Galaxy or HTC?

Not really up to date with the phone market I must say :/

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Just appearance wise, the phone looks a bit dull compared to 920 and S3.
I love the look of the iphone 4/4s/5. If the lumia 920 was the size as the 800 then I would probably prefer it though. The lumia design doesn't look as good with that big ass screen imo.

reKon

Banned
What Apple (and other) phone providers are starting to experience is that the market is becoming jaded. The jumps in technology aren't as visible anymore and the "numbers" don't necessarily push people to upgrade anymore. The phones are all starting to meet a minimum "good enough" quality. Samsung is going to have the same issue getting people off the GS3. PC companies have had the same problem for YEARS.

As this starts to happen more and more the "look/design" of the device or the solutions that it provides start to become far more important than the spec bumps. We're nearing that point, though some in the industry would say that we're already there and that outside of a couple of new features (NFC/new charging tech) there aren't many big technology changes coming up that will force people to want new hardware. It will become a solution game - which is the game that Apple has been playing for a while by blocking out older phones from new OS features. This isn't something that Android does so those players may have a harder time at it.

^ What he said

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Will the US phone with an AT&T plan work in Europe as well without jailbreaking? I know that the Verizon iPhone is US-only.

CrankyJay

Banned
What Apple (and other) phone providers are starting to experience is that the market is becoming jaded. The jumps in technology aren't as visible anymore and the "numbers" don't necessarily push people to upgrade anymore. The phones are all starting to meet a minimum "good enough" quality. Samsung is going to have the same issue getting people off the GS3. PC companies have had the same problem for YEARS.

As this starts to happen more and more the "look/design" of the device or the solutions that it provides start to become far more important than the spec bumps. We're nearing that point, though some in the industry would say that we're already there and that outside of a couple of new features (NFC/new charging tech) there aren't many big technology changes coming up that will force people to want new hardware. It will become a solution game - which is the game that Apple has been playing for a while by blocking out older phones from new OS features. This isn't something that Android does so those players may have a harder time at it.

Good post...my opinion about the phone might have been different if they had NFC, wireless charging, and hell, even an bendable/unbreakable screen.

Samsung is going to start producing bendable AMOLED screens in November, things could get interesting. I'm real excited to see what the S4 has to offer.

LordCanti

I am not looking forward to fighting the crashing AT&T/Apple servers on pre-order day. I experienced it when pre-ordering the IP4, and it wasn't pretty.

The new charger is kind of assy.

In terms of it not being compatible without an adapter, or in terms of functionality? If the former, yes. If the latter, wutttttt? Works both ways, yo! It's a revolution.

was thinking about getting this or the S3 or note II...

This phone looks sexy and the features are cool, but at this point I would only get the iphone 5 for the hardware, the OS is so dated and after getting the nexus after having every iphone before the 4s it just seems like I would be going backwards.

Its amazing how sexy their hardware always looks though.

Ha now I am kind of paranoid. Maybe I should just call ATT up and order it over the phone to be sure what I am getting.

I'm grandfathered into my plan and when I was pre-ordering the 4S, it already noted that I was grandfathered at a $30 data plan.

I'll say this, they've learned how to handle the flow of pre-orders since the 4S as the ipad 3 was very smooth, so basically just check the info on the screen - they let you go back before you hit 'submit' to make sure everything's in order.

was thinking about getting this or the S3 or note II...

This phone looks sexy and the features are cool, but at this point I would only get the iphone 5 for the hardware, the OS is so dated and after getting the nexus after having every iphone before the 4s it just seems like I would be going backwards.

Its amazing how sexy their hardware always looks though.
you would ONLY get it for the hardware? IMO the whole point of getting an iphone is the software. The app selection is unparalleled and it isn't even close. Has the best ecosystem as well. The high quality hardware has always been the bonus.

I'm grandfathered into my plan and when I was pre-ordering the 4S, it already noted that I was grandfathered at a $30 data plan.

I'll say this, they've learned how to handle the flow of pre-orders since the 4S as the ipad 3 was very smooth, so basically just check the info on the screen - they let you go back before you hit 'submit' to make sure everything's in order.

Okay great. Thanks for the info and tips I really appreciate it.

def sim

Alright bit of help here please

I planned on getting the next iphone (before this announcement), as it coincided nicely with the end of my contract (first ever Iphone) and because my Blackberry is awful.

Should I go with it (seeing as the small jumps between this and the 4S are irrelevant for me) or get Galaxy or HTC?

Not really up to date with the phone market I must say :/

It depends on which ecosystem you want to be a part of; the Apple app store or Google Play. The former has a larger range of Apps, but the latter isn't so far behind. At this point I find the difference irrelevant for most users.

Just don't get an HTC phone, their designs are the worst.

andymcc

Banned
I think people wanted mostly superficial changes or at least the drive-by posters did. Completely revamped look for both the OS and phone just because. Change for the sake of change.

A spec bump might as well be considered irrelevant to most.

pretty much.

"unless onlookers notice that the phone is dramatically physically different, how else will they know i have the new phone?"

KAL2006

Banned
Nothing will beat the jump from 3GS to 4
-Retina (this is probably the biggest improvement of them all)
-A camera where it actually is worth using (3GS camera was shit, improvements on 4S and 5 are good but not as big as the improvements from 3GS)
-Way more powerful where it actually matters (faster OS and app usage in comparison to 3GS, I know 4S and 5 are also more powerful but 4 is fast enough where as with 3Gs I thought I need it to be faster)

I may still uprade to 5, why because I still have a 3GS, so I thing this jump will be huge for me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't get why they made it so the back has two weird glossy strips at the top and the bottom. Just doesn't look right to me, if I do get this phone it will be the first I will look forward to slipping in a case.

To fix antenna issues I believe.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
bikuA.jpg

I have to say that this is the first iPhone that I actually like in white.
Ok now I want the iPhone 5 in white.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think what the people who are saying 'but all these spec bumps' are missing is that all of them are really obvious. You could have predicted any of them.

Now think back to when they revealed the 4. Yeah, there was a speed upgrade, but the first time you clapped your eyes on the retina display you knew you were looking at the future. It was so much better looking than any other screen on the market that it made every other phone look outdated in an instant. This is honestly not hyperbole: anybody who claims that they didn't let out a nugget of poop the first time they saw the retina display is a goddamn liar.

There's nothing like that with this phone. There's not a single feature of it that makes you gasp, or say, 'hey, now that's cool'. It has a few extra gigahertz and a few extra gigabytes and 17% more pixels, but nothing that, the first time you see it, screams this is the future.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think the other issue here with people being underwhelmed is the unprecedented amount of leaks that have been coming out of China...I think people would have been a lot more receptive of this if they went into the press conference blind.

I am not looking forward to fighting the crashing AT&T/Apple servers on pre-order day. I experienced it when pre-ordering the IP4, and it wasn't pretty.

In terms of it not being compatible without an adapter, or in terms of functionality? If the former, yes. If the latter, wutttttt? Works both ways, yo! It's a revolution.
This part. =\

Tobor

It depends on which ecosystem you want to be a part of; the Apple app store or Google Play. The former has a larger range of Apps, but the latter isn't so far behind. At this point I find the difference irrelevant for most users.

Just don't get an HTC phone, their designs are the worst.

Unless you enjoy mobile games, where Apple is still far and away the leader.

dc89

I'm concerned about UK contract pricing. Very concerned.

Me too. My GF can upgrade on September 28th and she's interested.

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it's going to be £100-£150 on 2 year contract. 16Gb maybe 32Gb if you are lucky.

TheExodu5

Banned
you would ONLY get it for the hardware? IMO the whole point of getting an iphone is the software. The app selection is unparalleled and it isn't even close. Has the best ecosystem as well. The high quality hardware has always been the bonus.

The iPhone app ecosystem is definitely what's kept me on iOS so far, but there are some caveats: for example, I can never get a Ventrilo client on iOS, while I can easily get one on Android, because open source licenses are incompatible with the app store.

Nothing will beat the jump from 3GS to 4
-Retina (this is probably the biggest improvement of them all)
-A camera where it actually is worth using (3GS camera was shit, improvements on 4S and 5 are good but not as big as the improvements from 3GS)
-Way more powerful where it actually matters (faster OS and app usage in comparison to 3GS, I know 4S and 5 are also more powerful but 4 is fast enough where as with 3Gs I thought I need it to be faster)

I may still uprade to 5, why because I still have a 3GS, so I thing this jump will be huge for me.
3gs to 5 is like o_0

Okay great. Thanks for the info and tips I really appreciate it.

Cool and no problem.

I was one of those morons pre-ordering a 4S at 2am PDT lol (was up at midnight but didn't get through until 2am), but never once did the pre-order process on Apple's site not let me know exactly what I was signing up for - and I was eyeing the charge to my data plan like a hawk.

X-Frame

Can anybody with an AT&T LTE iPad in Midtown NYC comment on AT&T's LTE speed?

I have a Verizon LTE iPad and I get 6-8 mbps next to Bryant Park, but have a grandfathered AT&T iPhone contract.

Dynamic3

Yeah... I expected a little more. I'll probably end up with a Galaxy SIII instead.

As they say: one man's plastic, offensively-skinned, still not running the latest OS piece of trash; is another man's treasure.

Wtf were people expecting that they didn't get?

jey_16

Banned
Hmmmm lets see here.

4 inch screen vs 3.5 (iPhone 1 to 4S was the same 3.5 inches)

2x Graphics performance (same leap as 4 to 4S)

2x CPU performance (same leap as 4 to 4S)

Back camera has much better low light performance (same leap as 4 to 4S)

Front Camera is 720p (biggest leap in facetime/skype/video chat yet)

3 Mics (iPhone 1 to 4 had 1 mic)

Thinnest smartphone (biggest weight loss since 3GS to iPhone 4)

Lightest iPhone yet (biggest weight drop since 3GS to Iphone 4)

LTE (desired in the iPhone since iPhone 4 2 years ago)

pretty fucking dissappointing...

I thought the back camera was the same?

BobTheBub

Not really, 4S was a nice bump but nothing too revolutionary, I genuinely expected them to do a stormer for this revision but it has not happened, there is nothing significant happening UI wise with apple except Siri and most people dont want to talk to thier phones even if it did understand them more than half the time.

If apple do not up their game soon they will get demolished, Galaxy SIII success shows that and fundamentally mid range android phones at half the price of iPhone are fairly equivalent in terms functionality, Apple need to be careful to not repeat their own history with the Macintosh.

Enco

Anyone with anything less than a 4S will really enjoy the update.

Less than a 4 and you'll be fucking mind blown. Unless if money is tight or you don't like gadgets, the iPhone 5/4S is a must.

Top Bottom