• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

L1NETT

It depends on which ecosystem you want to be a part of; the Apple app store or Google Play. The former has a larger range of Apps, but the latter isn't so far behind. At this point I find the difference irrelevant for most users.

Just don't get an HTC phone, their designs are the worst.

Thanks very much :)

Think I will plump for the iphone, as the jump from crapberry to the Iphone 5 might blow my mind ;-)

Also, The UK contract issue is super concerning. They know they can charge crazy prices and will still sell like hotcakes.

I was thinking around the £130 mark for a 2 year contract.

Pay as you £499.99?

Or am I way off the mark lol

original.jpg

again. LMAO.

WaltJay

I really like the two-tone, but I'm not going to break my contract to go from 4S to 5. I'll just wait until the inevitable 5S. Side note: do they really need to say "this is the best iPhone yet" every single year?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Me too. My GF can upgrade on September 28th and she's interested.

What are your thoughts? I'm thinking it's going to be £100-£150 on 2 year contract. 16Gb maybe 32Gb if you are lucky.

Look at the iPhone 4S contracts and add £50 upfront, I reckon. Quite expensive.

When the hell are they going to switch to OLED? It would have been the perfect phone.

I really dig the black anodized aluminum back and black edge. Why can't they make their macbooks in black aluminum? They would look so boss.

J-Rod

Is this a world phone? It is really nice being able to pop in an international sim and getting cheap phone/data service, because international roaming charges are outrages.

X-Frame

I hope it doesn't take long for monoprice to release one. That adapter cost is outrageous

I thought I read that Apple will be the exclusive manufacturer for this adapter for months. If true, that would be terrible. I need at least 2 of these and $60 is ridiculous.

JCreasy

Every year since 2007 I say I'm not going to buy the new iPhone.

. . .

. . .

I gotta buy this new iPhone, DAMMIT

Tobor

I really like the two-tone, but I'm not going to break my contract to go from 4S to 5. I'll just wait until the inevitable 5S. Side note: do they really need to say "this is the best iPhone yet" every single year?

Yes, of course they do. What company doesn't do this? What company shouldn't do this?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Questions:

1. If I order online via Apple.com will it arrive on launch day?
2. If I decide to order on Verizon's site can I somehow pick up in store? Will I have to wait in line?
3. What's the best place to order? I go through Best Buy for my plan, but I will be at my parents Friday with no Best Buy around.

I guess the big question is how much different would this be if Jobs were still kicking around?

Well, since Jobs probably had some form of framework on how each model of the products would progress, probably the same really.

Questions:

1. If I order online via Apple.com will it arrive on launch day?
2. If I decide to order on Verizon's site can I somehow pick up in store? Will I have to wait in line?
3. What's the best place to order? I go through Best Buy for my plan, but I will be at my parents Friday with no Best Buy around.

1) Yes. You can even have it delivered to a different address that's not your billing. Just change after the order's confirmed on their site.
2) I think they'd have separate lines for orders.
3) Apple.com - they have every model and will look up your info by phone number. For shipping, see 1.

It looks just like the adapter to plug my camera into my iPad. That cost $29 and I paid it like a chump.

I'm as interested in tech as the next guy but I'm sitting here with my 4S, not feeling envious of this device at all. But I agree with others who've said, what else can Apple do? Maybe we've reached the limits of what cell phones can be at this point.

It's a 4-5-inch piece of plastic and metal that you hold in your hand. It has a screen. What more can we expect it to do?

SeanR1221

I have a 4 now and I'm up for upgrade on January 13th. Definitely can wait, plus it will be easy to walk in on that day and buy one.

Fularu

Banned
So just a longer version of the iPhone 4? I hoped it would be wider too :(

And what are they thinking puting the headphones at the bottom? Also I hope there'S be 3rd party adapters to convert "lightning" to the current standard, otherwise my "iPod compatible" soundsystem just lost compatibility.

you would ONLY get it for the hardware? IMO the whole point of getting an iphone is the software. The app selection is unparalleled and it isn't even close. Has the best ecosystem as well. The high quality hardware has always been the bonus.

I have had several iphones and the software was/is great, however I feel Android is pretty much on par with ios save for a few games and apps. I prefer the google ecosystem more so than Apples at this point, google music put me over the edge with wanting to stay with android. The only reason I would go back to apple is that the are not behind on LTE any more and the display/hardware build is better than any phone out. I am also betting that the battery life will be great too or at least better than any android product.

Zeth

So here's the crazy thing. This phone will double the number of people using LTE in practically no time. The other day an IDC report had around 16 million people on LTE in the 5 biggest markets for it.

Anyone with anything less than a 4S will really enjoy the update.

Less than a 4 and you'll be fucking mind blown. Unless if money is tight or you don't like gadgets, the iPhone 5/4S is a must.

This is my first iphone so I'm super hyped :) Right now I'm using a Blackberry Curve haha.

Honestly, the only way I would have been surprised/blown away would have been an overhaul of the dated iOS UI. However, we've known for a while what iOS 6 was/is going to be, so I was hoping for something more substantial or different in the other features/hardware. Panorama mode ain't it.

A phone being lighter means jack shit to me--as long as a phone isn't heavy, it's fine. Thinner is nice and the performance upgrades are good, but again, it's just a dated UI that's gotten faster. Clearly I'm in the minority as far as the UI goes, but meh. Camera improvements sound good, but I want to see comparison pics between it and the other leading phones. I think the taller but not wider screen is a little goofy and their presentation didn't do much to help it (you can see more of the app! 5 rows of icons!).

The new accessory port had its wind taken out of its sails by Nokia's wireless charging, IMO.

Also, EarPods. Again:

bug7f.gif

LordCanti

So just a longer version of the iPhone 4? I hoped it would be wider too :(

And what are they thinking puting the headphones at the bottom? Also I hope there'S be 3rd party adapters to convert "lightning" to the current standard, otherwise my "iPod compatible" soundsystem just lost compatibility.

Longer, higher res, faster processor/GPU, aluminum back (instead of breakable glass), better color reproduction on the screen (if I'm remembering the presentation correctly) etc.

Ragus

Banned
It will be a great phone, and I would consider buying it, if I didn't have an iPhone 4 before. But I do, and I think that there is no need for me to buy it. I am more impressed with Lumia 920 and this is probably going to be my new phone.

TommyT

Really, you're still surprised?

Troll posts are getting old. Does anyone actually need that adaptor? It's a non-issue.

You're right. No one really needs that adapter. Instead, just go out and buy the cable itself for $10 cheaper. :|

CrankyJay

Banned
So how does the AT&T upgrade plan work?

I'm out of contract anyway, so is the upgrade useless to me?

If I get a new 2 year contract a 16gb phone should cost me $200 no matter what...or do they try to tell you that you need the upgrade for that?

It will be a great phone, and I would consider buying it, if I didn't have an iPhone 4 before. But I do, and I think that there is no need for me to buy it. I am more impressed with Lumia 920 and this is probably going to be my new phone.

How much apps do windows phones even have? Aren't they basically dead in market share?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
1) Yes. You can even have it delivered to a different address that's not your billing. Just change after the order's confirmed on their site.
2) I think they'd have separate lines for orders.
3) Apple.com - they have every model and will look up your info by phone number. For shipping, see 1.

Thanks.

Was thinking Verizon online then picking it up at the Verizon store near work, as my work won't less us get personal packages shipped here. Otherwise I will do Apple.com and have it shipped to my apartment then just pick it up from FedEx or wherever after work.

Top Bottom