• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I am confused. So you still have to pay for the iPhone 7, but that money gets slowly refunded to you as a $24/month credit on your bill?

Exactly. Each month it bills you that amount, but you get a credit back in the same amount but split up into 24 months.

And it's a $27.08 since it's only for the base model. You pay a downpayment upfront for the difference if you want to go to a Plus or a higher GB size.

It's bizarre to me that they'd roll out a new material that is so scratch-prone that just being used in the demo area has gotten it all marked up. I think they're going to get a lot of returns on that one.

In general I'm surprised at the amount of upgrades this year. Usually the non-S year is always a modest CPU and camera upgrade and a new bodystyle. This year feels more like a 6ss as the bodystyle is basically the same, despite being waterproof and a slight change to the bump. But it has the kind of tech updates we usually see with the S years. Next year is the 10th anniversary, so obviously they're saving some new stuff. Probably a bold new style next year, but I wonder how they're going to top the hardware upgrades of the 7. Usually I wait for the S, but this year they've got me all mixed up.

I really wanted to go back down to the 4", but it seems they want to keep the SE as a second class citizen. I don't like how they keep making features exclusives to size. I choose size based on what feels good in my hand and pocket; punishing me feature-wise for an ergonomic or comfort choice is not cool.

border

Exactly. Each month it bills you that amount, but you get a credit back in the same amount but split up into 24 months.

And it's a $27.08 since it's only for the base model. You pay a downpayment upfront for the difference if you want to go to a Plus or a higher GB size.

So your immediate out-of-pocket cost is essentially $0, but if you cancel service at any point before two years then you pay the balance in full? $27.08 x (# of months left on your 2 year contract)?

Bgamer90

Banned
tCDgVCF.jpg

Wouldn't recommend getting that jet black version if you want to go naked

3GS all over again. No thanks.

border

I really wanted to go back down to the 4", but it seems they want to keep the SE as a second class citizen. I don't like how they keep making features exclusives to size. I choose size based on what feels good in my hand and pocket; punishing me feature-wise for an ergonomic or comfort choice is not cool.

I have to imagine that 6 months from now they will launch a new iPhone SE with more RAM, better camera, water resistance, etc. The SE is only a second-class citizen because they aren't choosing to refresh it this fall.

I wonder if the iPhone SE Series 2 will have a headphone port?

MrMephistoX

It's the same promo they ran last year. It's only for the base 32gb model, and you have to keep the phone for a 2 year time frame. They basically pay the financing of your phone for you.

Free is free 32GB would be enough if Apple made iPhoto cloud only instead of saving everything to the device or at least made it easier to toggle that option.

MrMephistoX

So your immediate out-of-pocket cost is essentially $0, but if you cancel service at any point before two years then you pay the balance in full? $27.08 x (# of months left on your 2 year contract)?

Wow so you could order a 64GB and just pay the $10 monthly difference? If so sign me up.

I have to imagine that 6 months from now they will launch a new iPhone SE with more RAM, better camera, water resistance, etc. The SE is only a second-class citizen because they aren't choosing to refresh it this fall.

I wonder if the iPhone SE Series 2 will have a headphone port?

As far as I remember even the current SE is not at feature parity with the 6s. So I doubt any future SE would be equal to the 7. But in Apple's minds they see "small size" as "entry-level" and "big size" as "premium". Dumb.

AkumaNiko

First couple days you might find it easier than you think to find.

When the 6/6+ first went up for pre order, i had them ordered with Tmobile (bestbuy) but it was delayed to the store. I just so happened to go to apple the saturday after it was released and they had a bunch of iphones in stock. when my wife and I went back that night, they were still handing out iphones like candy. It was not truly sold out until a few days later.

Granted, friday i have two plans. Apple on and verizon at 3am, if that does not work, i'll head to bestbuy and wait. when i originally pre ordered the 6 from BB, i was 4th in line at 6am.

malyce

Anyone in the US looking to offload their 6S+ 64GB, shoot me a PM with your current carrier, your asking price and whether or not it's negotiable.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Well as someone who works for T-Mobile... Yep. This is gonna be fun.

It was an utter shitstorm last year. I ended up having to email corporate and the CEO himself to get my wife's line upgraded.

This year I'm paying off the remaining 6s JoD and going with the apple upgrade program.

Hopefully Apple's system for T-Mobile is less of a crapchute.

Yes. Anything left on your installments. There's no contract, so there's no termination fee though.

Shaukdotdj

It was an utter shitstorm last year. I ended up having to email corporate and the CEO himself to get my wife's line upgraded.

This year I'm paying off the remaining 6s JoD and going with the apple upgrade program.

Hopefully Apple's system for T-Mobile is less of a crapchute.

What kinda sucks is people don't really pay attention to the details of these promos, they see "free" and expect a handout. Like based on MOST people's credit, nobody is walking out of that store with $0 out of pocket. But eventually based on the bill credits they receive it works out to being Free or at least close to it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who here has gone from a normal sized iPhone to a Plus? Regretted it, got used to it, or loved it?
I'd love to know this. I'm thinking about it due to the camera.

I detest big phones though so It's hard for me to determine if thats what I want.

MrMephistoX

I'd love to know this. I'm thinking about it due to the camera.

I detest big phones though so It's hard for me to determine if thats what I want.

I love my 6 plus and even type one handed with it. I love reading ebooks on it and ended up giving my iPad mini to my daughter due to lack of use.

Ashhong

Will my 2 year contract plan with Verizon go down once the 2 years are up? I got the 6 back in 2014 and wondering how to handle this upgrade..

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Who here has gone from a normal sized iPhone to a Plus? Regretted it, got used to it, or loved it?

I'm actually downsizing to a regular one. I love the plus, but I want a phone easier to use one handed, easier to use in class, in the car, and etc. Plus I'll be able to get the 128GB with the same price it would cost for the base model 7 Plus. I'm kind of over the huge phones. What's weird is how a lot of flagship Android phones have bigger screens than the 6/7 plus, yet they're way smaller and easier to use.

-d0hv

Vyer

resisted till a few months ago. got used to it much faster (for the most part) than I would have expected.

it's not that the concerns go away (using one handed, reaching the whole screen - suddenly the 'double tap the home button to get the screen to slide down' thing was a lot more important), it's just that I adjusted to it much more easily and quickly than I thought.

KingKong

I can use Apple Store credit from sending in the phone to pay for the monthly installments rignt? Does it lower the rate?

Ghazi

Highly doubt they'd redesign the existing case for the current phones.

On mine it takes quite a bit of pressure to press the power button, enough that it's noticeable in everyday use. It hasn't really improved with time either. The volume buttons work better I would say, but I don't use those too often. Basically it's a bit "mushy". I'm not surprised they tried to do something better this time.

That's fair, I think I might wait it out and see if the 7's leather case fits the 6S. All three (6, 6S, and 7) have the same physical dimensions, no?

Anyone have a size comparison of the 7+ and a Nexus 6p?

Edit:

Never mind, found it myself. I might actually go with the Plus this time around.

I can use Apple Store credit from sending in the phone to pay for the monthly installments rignt? Does it lower the rate?

Nope! The rate is the same and it charges your credit card automatically each month. Trading in your phone by sending it in nets you a gift card

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
That's fair, I think I might wait it out and see if the 7's leather case fits the 6S. All three (6, 6S, and 7) have the same physical dimensions, no?
7 and 6S are the exact same, 6 is very slightly thinner. I suppose the new 7 Leather case should fit the old ones, only question would be the camera area.

DOWN

Banned
Nope! The rate is the same and it charges your credit card automatically each month. Trading in your phone by sending it in nets you a gift card
There's actually two ways to trade in with them and I forget which but one of them definitely goes as a refund to your credit card

Mortemis

Banned
To all those that are getting this from t-mobile on whatever promo they're doing, all I gotta say is good luck. Last year was an incredible hassle to get my phone, and tons of others went through shit too. Hopefully it's not as shitty this year for y'all.

To all those that are getting this from t-mobile on whatever promo they're doing, all I gotta say is good luck. Last year was an incredible hassle to get my phone, and tons of others went through shit too. Hopefully it's not as shitty this year for y'all.

I have T-Mobile jump on demand and walked in and got a 6s day 1 and did the same thing with an Se.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Top Bottom