• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

T.O.P

Banned
Piano-Black-may-be-a-fingerprint-magnet-but-it-sure-is-pretty.jpg

As expected.

Matte it is, yuck

HELLO EVERYBODY AND WELCOME TO THE IPHONE UPGRADE PROGRAM POWER HOUR

I'm your host Zeyphersan. You may know me from every fucking Apple thread on this godforsaken site because I really have nothing better to do with my time. There have been a lot (and I mean a lot of questions these past few days surrounding Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program. Which is understandable since it's a great alternative to the carrier's options. But this also means that there's a lot of room for things to be cleared up. Not for good, since I know that never works, but maybe this can help a few people. And maybe, just maybe, you can refer people in the future to this post. It will be updated as things change, of course, as they do. Apple likes to change things, sometimes just a few millimeters at a time. There's also an actually, truly helpful website that Apple just updated with all the new details you can check out, it might save you some time: http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Who am I? Well I'm someone who's on the program itself so I know what the process looks like from the outside. But I also work at those glorious Apple Stores (or I think it's just Apple now, silly me) so I know what goes on inside as well. At least at the retail side which is where this is most important. I'm not going to post anything to "prove" it since I like my job too much, so either believe me or don't. But once again I sort of live in these Apple threads.

Let's get started!*

*All information henceforth will be about the iPhone Upgrade Program, hereby known as iUP, in the United States of America as that is where I work. I don't know how the other countries work and cannot help you there. Also this information is current as to my knowledge both this year and last year, but some things may legitimately change for this launch vs the 6s. I'll provide updated information as soon as I get it, if something I say is incorrect it is not meant to be intentionally misleading. Sorry!

PART ONE: WHAT US THE IPHONE UPGRADE PROGRAM?

Great question! iUP is a program provided by Apple as an alternative to both upgrading through your carrier on their subsidized or device payment plans or paying full price for your shiny new phone. Traditionally, even at the Apple Store, people upgrade their phones by starting a contract with their carrier, either through a two year contract or by starting a payment plan for their device, to be paid off in a set amount of time. With some exceptions both of these options come out to be about the same price give or take, unless you're one of those people still on the AT&T unlimited plans, because AT&T truly, truly hates you.

So what's the difference? With iUP you're making monthly payments to Apple for your device instead of having something else added to your carrier bill. There are some advantages (and potentially disadvantages) to this method, which we'll discuss further. But as a brief overview:

iUP is a program that allows you to upgrade to a new iPhone every single year. It's sort of Apple's admission that yes, every single year at the time time they come out with a new phone so they might as well make it easy to stay on the latest and greatest. You make monthly payments on your phone, and after 12 payments you're free to trade that phone in to Apple and hop onto a new one. It's honestly pretty easy. The mechanics behind the program are as follows:

1) You're paying for the full retail price of the phone plus AppleCare+ over a period of 24 months. After 12 you can upgrade, after 24 you own the phone and don't have to trade it in. Legally speaking it is not a lease since there is no purchase option at the end, you just own it.
2) Because it includes AppleCare, you have the extended warranty should you decide to keep your phone for the full 24 months, and you have two incidents of accidental damage at the Genius Bar
3) The phone is unlocked and can be used with any carrier (there is a caveat to this)
4) You are technically starting a loan with a bank Apple contracts with, CitizensOne. It's a 24 month, interest-free loan, but it is still a loan nonetheless. That means there is an application involved
5) The minimum length of time to be in this commitment is 6 months. After that time you can pay yo to 12 months and get into a new phone, or pay up to 24 months and own the phone. There is nothing that can be done prior to that 6 month mark
6) Yes you can sign up for iUP if you are still on a contract but you are STILL ON THAT CONTRACT. You are obligated to pay it off or wait it out, nothing Apple can do to get you out of that. If you're already on a device payment plan with your carrier and choose to sign up it's possible, but know that you're now on the hook for both payments

Dont worry, we still have yet to get into the REAL nitty-gritty.

PART TWO: FIRST TIMERS

So you're interested in the program, but what does this whole thing look like? Well it all has to take place at a physical Apple Store with an actual human being getting you through this process. To be honest I'm not actually positive the mechanisms behind preorders this year, but if they are like last year:

On the website pick the model you want, and select iPhone Upgrade Program as your desired way to purchase. It should list out local Apple Stores and reservation times for you to pop in and get this thing done. I don't know what it's going to look like as preorders start getting back-ordered. I assume mass chaos. This part is very likely it be updated. But the moral of the story is: preorder online at 12AM Pacific Time this Friday (that's Thursday night for people who think like I do) and try your best to get the phone you want.

!!!SUPER ACTUALLY VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!

The first time around you could only upgrade at an actual physical store, but this time around it looks like they're letting you apply online. I have, legitimately, no idea what this process looks like. It could be that they let you do the whole thing online, it could be that they're just letting you pick times online to go pick it up in store. This is all new to me, so we'll have to find out what it looks like in a couple days together. The rest of my information will be based on the IN-STORE experience since that is the known variable as of right now. As far as I can tell all upgrades from previous years have to be done in the store anyway

THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO APPLY:

1) An existing post-paid wireless account with one of the four carriers that Apple officially supports: AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon. Nothing else works. Nothing! No MVNOs, no prepaid accounts, nothing. "But Zeyphersan," I hear you saying, "I thought you said the phone was unlocked!" Well it is.... but it still has to be activated on one of those carriers. I guess after the preorders have settled down you can walk in and make a new account with one of them and then start iUP on that new plan but it's a hassle and takes a long time. Know your account information beforehand. It also has to be a personal account, not business or coorporate account. And yes because it's an activation there might be an acitivation fee from your carrier. Nothing can be done about this. But after it's activated it's an unlocked phone I promise!
2) A personal credit (NOT DEBIT) card and your social security number. Business credit card also doesn't work, it has to be personal with enough free credit on there for three months of payments. Why is this required? We'll remember how I said before that this whole thing is technically, legally a loan you're applying for? Yep, credit check. A hard inquiry that will show up on your report. It's a pretty basic check and doesn't really have a lot of requirements, but it's there. Last year there were so many checks getting run at once that CitizensOne got overloaded and people were great credit were being denied. If that happens again.... sorry. Not really much the person helping you can do about it, don't yell at them.
3) Your ID. Please please please don't forget your ID. Apple has an official list of what counts, you have no excuse: http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/forms-of-id.html
4) Your winning smile. Attaboy.

When you're picking up your phone and you've gone through the process you will be charged the tax on the full retail price of the phone plus the first month's payment. Both of those are easy to figure out, as tax is obviously determined wherever you live and the monthly payment is (RRP+$129)/24 months. If you're choosing to recycle your phone through Apple, which you can totally do, the value of that phone will be added back as a credit on the card that you used to sign up with. Your monthly payments do not decrease. Once you're all signed up you will be mailed a loan letter giving you the ability to access your loan online and check your balance and change the payment method to another credit card or a checking account. And just like that you're done! See you in 12 months!

PART THREE: THE RETURNING VETERANS

Welcome back you old bastards. So you realized that your 6s Plus that was all shiny and new a year ago isn't so shiny and new anymore. Now there's a new phone you want it. Holy shit do you want it. Well luckily you're on the right plan. You did all that baby stuff before last year, welcome to middle school. I'm just going to jump right into it

NOTE: THIS IS THE SECTION THAT IS MOST LIKELY TO BE UPDATED LATER ONCE I GET NEW INFORMATION ON HOW UPGRADES WILL WORK. WHAT I HAVE NOW IS HOW THE UPGRADE PROCESS WENT IF YOU "BOUGHT UP" TO A YEAR SOMETIME IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS

1) Preorder like you were planning to anyway. It doesn't looks like upgrades can be done online at all like new enrollments. Bring your phone and ID and account information and credit card and all that, just like before. It does still have to be activated on the big 4 carriers, there will be another activation fee. Also make an iOS backup before arriving at the store, don't be that guy
2) Your phone will be examined for damage, including, and this is super important, the Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) located in the SIM tray of your phone. If there is any damage, and if that sensor is tripped at all, you're gonna have to pay the applicable indecent fee (either $29 or $99 depending on the damage) to finish the upgrade. It doesn't matter if the phone is working fine, if that LCI is red be prepared to pay $99 to rectify it. If you check before and notice a red LCI and try to remove it before coming in thinking you're clever you're not, you're just not leaving with a new phone. Once again, don't be that guy. The phones come with AppleCare to make this part easy
3) Trading in your old phone closes out the remaining balance on your loan, and hopping onto a new phone means opening a new loan. YES, THIS MEANS ANOTHER APPLICATION AND ANOTHER HARD INQUIRY ON YOUR CREDIT. The credit card and social security number are super important to have this time around for this reason. Once again don't yell at the poor retail person about this, they don't make the rules.

It should honestly be a simple and straightforward process that totally mirrors the first time, just with you giving up your old phone. And you get to leave with a new phone. Lucky you!

PART FOUR: WHAT IF I WANT LOWER PAYMENTS/NO APPLECARE/A DATE WITH ANNA KENDRICK?

Yes, there is a sister to the iUP program: iPhone Installment Program. It's mostly boring: 24 months, no early upgrade, no AppleCare as part of the cost, and any phone you trade in towards it lowers the monthly payments instead of being put back as credit on your card. Still has the same application process. It's safe and boring but it's there if you want it

I'll be around if you have any questions, and honestly the retail people know their stuff. And if they don't, someone in that building does. If you have more questions I'll be around as well, and there's also the official page like I linked before, all fresh and updated: http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Any comparisons to carrier plans I won't be able to do since there's so, so many different options out there. You'll have to do a little bit of your own research. I'm not here to sell you on iUP like it's the best program ever with no downsides, because it's not true. Sometimes carriers offer great options. I'm just giving you information. Good luck and happy preordering

Sent from my iPad Pro

VIRAL MARKETER ALERT. VIRAL MARKETER ALERT. VIRAL MARKETER ALERT.

I have to imagine that 6 months from now they will launch a new iPhone SE with more RAM, better camera, water resistance, etc. The SE is only a second-class citizen because they aren't choosing to refresh it this fall.

I wonder if the iPhone SE Series 2 will have a headphone port?

I hope the iPhone SE retains the headphone port as going forward it's the only Iphone line im interested in - the smaller phone works for me far more than the bigger phone does.

I also really like the SE, I am still on a 5s but the se is my current upgrade choice - I just don't think there's any point upgrading for the next year at which point I can maybe hold out for the SE2. If they ditch the headphone jack im going to struggle and just upgrade to the SE which I guess would at least save me money even if it does place me quite far behind the curve at that point

Rootbeer

Banned
Can we talk about bands?

So i'm reading through this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-selling-full-priced-but-crippled-iphone-7s.1992556/

There are two variants of the 7/7S models, one uses a qualcomm modem and one uses an intel modem.

If I'm understanding right, qualcomm modem can do everything the intel version can do in addition to CDMA/TD-SCDMA. Important for China or giving you maximum flexibility in carrier changes for those that use CDMA networks within the USA.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

So, even though I use T-Mobile, I should buy the unlocked Verizion version to give me maximum flexibility not only in changing carriers but as added value when I sell my phone later (as many buyers may prefer a phone capable of more bands.)

Thoughts? Advice? I need to make sure I buy the model that is going to suit me best and give me the most options.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is the presentation up yet?

Can we talk about bands?

So i'm reading through this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-selling-full-priced-but-crippled-iphone-7s.1992556/

There are two variants of the 7/7S models, one uses a qualcomm modem and one uses an intel modem.

If I'm understanding right, qualcomm modem can do everything the intel version can do in addition to CDMA/TD-SCDMA. Important for China or giving you maximum flexibility in carrier changes for those that use CDMA networks within the USA.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

So, even though I use T-Mobile, I should buy the unlocked Verizion version to give me maximum flexibility not only in changing carriers but as added value when I sell my phone later (as many buyers may prefer a phone capable of more bands.)

Thoughts? Advice? I need to make sure I buy the model that is going to suit me best and give me the most options.

That is technically correct. The Sprint and Verizon phones have CDMA+GSM while the AT&T and T-Mobile phones only have GSM. This means that the SIM-free model will likely be the Sprint/Verizon phone

If you want to be a stickler then yes, the CDMA one is the one to get. However even though Verizon phones are unlocked I don't think you can buy one full price without actually having a Verizon account with which to activate it on. That's why they wait a couple months for the SIM-free model

Rootbeer

Banned
However even though Verizon phones are unlocked I don't think you can buy one full price without actually having a Verizon account with which to activate it on. That's why they wait a couple months for the SIM-free model
Oh so that's the catch... I don't want to wait months for the sim free version though. There is no way to buy the world phone at full price day 1 without a verizion account?

moving

Neo Member
Moving to Japan later this year but I think I'm better off buying a phone in the UK rather than going through Japan's draconian process of getting a phone (if you're a foreigner). Likely going to pick up 128GB Plus on Upgrade Program in the UK.

Anyone know/have experience of taking a UK purchased iPhone to Japan? Also, are the FeliCa updates specifically for Japanese models of the phone, or will all phones include them?

Not sure if anyone has the answer, but worth a shot!

Angel_DvA

I can't justify a 1000$ price tag for an IPhone 6C euh sorry, IPhone 7 for now, will wait for true revolution next year.

SuperPac

Who here has gone from a normal sized iPhone to a Plus? Regretted it, got used to it, or loved it?

I went from a normal 6 to a 6s Plus and regretted it a few months later. The phone feels too big in my pocket, and while I like the screen size generally for reading and games I miss one-handed operation and absolutely hate landscape mode in Mail and on the home screen. Yes I know rotation lock exists but then I have to turn it off for photos and videos which are the only things I want to use in landscape. Going back to a regular 7 this year. Can't do the Plus again.

Symphonia

Banned
Just going to say this, the amount of Apple bloatware coming pre-installed is beyond ridiculous. Add to that any carrier/provider bloatware that they install, and that's a ton of storage eaten up before you've already used it.

Before the Jet Black colour was announced, I was pretty set on getting the White/Silver this time, but now I am having second thoughts. I kinda wish they did a glossy silver as well.

giga

Just going to say this, the amount of Apple bloatware coming pre-installed is beyond ridiculous. Add to that any carrier/provider bloatware that they install, and that's a ton of storage eaten up before you've already used it.

How much bloatware is it?

SuperPac

Have you never used an iPhone? There is no carrier bloat on iPhones. And with iOS 10 you can delete (actually, more like hide) most of Apple's own apps.

Resseh

The bloat ware can now be deleted in the latest iOS. Stocks etc

KtSlime

Looking forward to the phone as my contract is up, but Very unhappy they are going to screw me on exchange rate, again. I want to try the new camera, but there is no way the plus will ever survive my pocket.

Moving to Japan later this year but I think I'm better off buying a phone in the UK rather than going through Japan's draconian process of getting a phone (if you're a foreigner). Likely going to pick up 128GB Plus on Upgrade Program in the UK.

Anyone know/have experience of taking a UK purchased iPhone to Japan? Also, are the FeliCa updates specifically for Japanese models of the phone, or will all phones include them?

Not sure if anyone has the answer, but worth a shot!

Can't help you on the first part, and I don't think anyone knows if FeliCa will work on non Japanese phones until it is released, but the process of getting a phone in Japan for a resident is about the same as a citizen, the only difference is that if your residence card has a date that expires before your phone plan contract is up, they ask you to buy the phone outright. The discounts promotion that people get for the new phone is then applied monthly discounting your bill.

It does take hours to get a phone, but that has nothing to do with being a foreigner, everyone suffers it.

If a person says the phone app on a phone is bloat ware a cant help but think they are trolling.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Before the Jet Black colour was announced, I was pretty set on getting the White/Silver this time, but now I am having second thoughts. I kinda wish they did a glossy silver as well.
Glossy silver is call foil.

Symphonia

Banned
How much bloatware is it?
Camera, Photos, Health, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Mail, Music, Wallet, Safari, Maps, Siri, Tips, Find My iPhone, Settings, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, News, Contacts, Calculator, Compass, Watch, iBooks, Home, Weather, Reminders, Clock, Videos, iCloud Drive, and Find My Friends.

Have you never used an iPhone? There is no carrier bloat on iPhones. And with iOS 10 you can delete (actually, more like hide) most of Apple's own apps.
Have you ever used an iPhone from a UK provider? Companies such as O2 put so much of their crap on all phones (including iPhone) and make it a hassle to delete it all.

Camera, Photos, Messages, Phone, Voice Memos, Mail, Music, Safari, Siri, Settings, Calendar, App Store, Notes, Contacts, Calculator, Reminders, Clock, Videos

I wouldn't consider any of these (I edited your list) to be bloatware. They're more like essentials that are required on any smartphone..

I mean how is Phone or Camera bloatware?!

Camera, Photos, Health, Messages, Phone, FaceTime, Stocks, Voice Memos, Podcasts, Mail, Music, Wallet, Safari, Maps, Siri, Tips, Find My iPhone, Settings, Calendar, iTunes Store, App Store, Notes, News, Contacts, Calculator, Compass, Watch, iBooks, Home, Weather, Reminders, Clock, Videos, iCloud Drive, and Find My Friends.

Have you ever used an iPhone from a UK provider? Companies such as O2 put so much of their crap on all phones (including iPhone) and make it a hassle to delete it all.

I have a UK iPhone, and never experienced any preinstalled software outside of the stuff Apple put on.

Wow, o2 must of changed as they never used to with iPhone. What do they put on there?

I bought my wifes SE from Apple and do the same with 7+, then stick the O2 sim in. Safest way!

giga

I don't consider many of those bloatware, and they most likely don't take up more than a gig of storage combined. You'll be able to hide many of them in iOS 10.

Symphonia

Banned
A lot of those are bloatware, and are hardly used by the majority of iPhone users. Those kind of apps are called bloatware. Either way, that is an insane number of apps to have come pre-installed.

Interfectum

You are really misusing the term 'bloatware'

Settings? Contacts? lol?

giga

A lot of those are bloatware, and are hardly used by the majority of iPhone users. Those kind of apps are called bloatware. Either way, that is an insane number of apps to have come pre-installed.
The majority of iPhone users? Citation needed.

Symphonia

Banned
Wow, o2 must of changed as they never used to with iPhone. What do they put on there?

I bought my wifes SE from Apple and do the same with 7+, then stick the O2 sim in. Safest way!
My O2, O2 Priorities, O2 SIM Tools, etc.

Vodafone do similar with their apps, as do Three.

has the uk price really increased all that much? I remember getting my 6 64gb for £689 at launch.

or is it the 7+ that has been affected mostly :/

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity, since the second speaker turned out to be the earpiece...is the left grille on the bottom now entirely for microphone, or is it as some rumours predicted and some holes are filled in and just cosmetic?

Draper

I kinda wanna get a jet black plus model.

...but I exchanged the 6+ model because it felt too large...but I miss the battery life and screen size, not to mention the new camera....

And now I'm concerned about scratches...

Decisions.

PaulLFC

Having got an iPad I was considering moving from Android back to iOS, but the removal of the headphone jack is the main reason I won't be. I own multiple pairs of wired headphones, and I don't see why we should have to use an adapter to use them (and lose charging capability at the same time) - there is no benefit.

I'm not against Apple offering the option to use Lightning headphones, but removing the option for the universal standard is a shameless attempt to make money through sales of Lightning headphones and headsets.

• "But we can make the phone thinner!" - the phone doesn't need to be thinner. If anything, make it thicker and put a bigger battery in it.
  • "But it's waterproof now!" So's my Z3. Released in 2014. Guess what? It has a headphone jack.
  • "Use wireless headphones" - I already own wired headphones which work perfectly fine with, oh I don't know, 99.9% of other mobile devices that offer audio output - and with better sound quality than wireless could manage.
  • "Use the included Lightning earpods" - Plenty of other headphones offer much better sound quality.
  • "Use the adapter" - a poor solution to a problem which absolutely did not need to exist, and shouldn't exist. Plus it disables charging while listening to music. Something I do a lot. I'm doing just that right now actually.
Deliberately removing options, especially one as widespread as the 3.5mm headphone jack, is in no way in the interest of customers. Push Lightning headphones all you want - don't try to force adoption by going against an established standard for no good reason.

Not to mention they've put all the prices up in the UK.

3DShovel

There is no bloatware that can be installed by carriers. Updates are not restricted by carriers either. And you can uninstall default apps that you don't want.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
KTRn7lx.png
iPhone 6s (yesterday)
NCqpA9P.png
iPhone 7

CrGpD1k.png
iPhone 6S Plus (yesterday)
mKg9hcx.png
iPhone 7 Plus

Oof. If you want an iPhone 7 in the UK, you better be able to touch your toes.

Too negligible an upgrade to even bother. Hoping the 8 will be a proper redesign. Sticking with my 6.

edit: Ewww, jet black glossy. Great less-tacky-but-still-tacky option for owners of one of the gold models.

Caelestis

Sitting and thinking if I should bother upgrading. Kinda want 7+, but my normal 6 still works flawlessly and removal of headphones jack is pretty bothersome. Might wait out another year.

derder

Man, I've been using the Google Nexus line for 4 years and I'm so pumped to be back to iPhone. I haven't used a 3.5mm jack in two years and hope I never need to again.

Top Bottom