• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran: We may quit nuclear deal in 'hours' if new US sanctions imposed

black_13

Banned
2 things:

Material support of Assad- Iranian military commanders and troops, funding groups like Hezbollah to fight for Assad

Ballistic missile tests.

This is the long part of goals of the Iran deal. They need to start to behave as a stable country so banks and investors see them as a viable partner. Thier continued actions as a rogue state make the sanctions relief useless.

Iran is helping Asad cause they don't want ISIS showing up right on their doorstep. And if I recall there was nothing about Ballistic missiles in the Iran deal so they could do that if they wanted.

It doesn't matter though. The republicans were always gonna find something to blame Iran and cancel the deal. They have such a hard on hatred for Iran that I'm sure they rather start a war than let them get any relief.

black_13

Banned
They were lumped in there for just this reason. To sabotage the nuclear deal.
They knew the sanctions package would get passed because of the political weight on Russian collusion.
This was a trojan horse gambit.

Damn I didn't know that. That's crazy and shows Republicans are just looking for any excuse to get out of the Iran deal. I'm sure they rather bomb Iran and finally be done with them than have any negotiations.

Giving the a pass on everything isn't in the spirit of the deal. The nuclear deal has a short and long term goal. Short term is to verifiably dismantle the nuclear capability of Iran and the second is to curb their actions as a rogue state. The second part is using sanction relief to get them to integrate in the world economy. Once they get integrated it becomes harder for them to act as a rogue state because of financial penalties with investment and trade. The more they support bad actions and they undermine their own standing because banks and investors don't want to lose money with sanctions.

Pretty sure the last thing the Republicans want is to get Iran integrated with the world economy. Netanyahu actually pretty much said this outright, with the Republicans Congress gleefully applauding.

They were going to find a reason to impose sanctions regardless of what Iran did. Trying to tie Iran's foreign policy to the deal to impose new sanctions was always going to be their goal.

Top Bottom