• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

HMV just seems so pointless especially in Dublin, if I wanted a blu-ray or a game amazon is always a lot cheaper and if I wanted to get an album on Vinyl, Tower was always so much better.

cchum

Yeah looking forward to the visit. Any good locales outside Dublin? Also need help or info on finding work there.

NateDog

I doubt anyone can help but on the off chance, is there any chance that anyone here knows a good career guidance... erm person? I have no idea what to do with my life and I can't stand my current job (don't mind the administration part, but I don't care about pensions or anything of that ilk or working with an enormous company). I just feel lost.

Lucreto

329095.jpg

Seriously I'm dying. It would be far worse if I was working today. No AC and lots of glass windows and a metal roof.

ptolemy

I doubt anyone can help but on the off chance, is there any chance that anyone here knows a good career guidance... erm person? I have no idea what to do with my life and I can't stand my current job (don't mind the administration part, but I don't care about pensions or anything of that ilk or working with an enormous company). I just feel lost.

www.igc.ie might be a good place to start. They cater for adults as well as students as far as I know

Lethal

Neo Member
Home on Thursday for the first time in 15 months, I can't wait

First things first - Batter sausage and chips

Lucky. I haven't been home in almost 7 years. I've heard that a thing called a "spicy bag" is the new hotness in Chinese takeaways? The name sounds so stupid that I was sure I was being wound up

RangerX

Banned
I actually feel like melting away in this weather. I was at the Dublin vs Westmeath match in Croker and was burnt to a crisp. Peeling away now.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
WELL, FECK IT!

3V said:
Important Information

3V Vouchers are no longer available for sale. Existing 3V Vouchers can still be activated for a period of two months following purchase (per the Validity Period stated on your 3V Voucher). Existing 3V Visa numbers will expire two months after the last day of the month in which the 3V Voucher was activated.
Any helpful substitutes?

Nintendo - 'We are sorry to inform you that we have been unable to despatch your order. The reason for this is as per our delivery policy, we are unable to deliver orders to any mail forwarding, freight forwarding or PO Box addresses.'

After they already delivered fire emblem to parcel motel for me >.<

Lucreto

Is Theliberal.ie some right wing site?

Just looking at a poll about asking "should Ireland leave the EU" and to my horror it had a 55% saying Yes.

I thought after seeing the demolition of the pound and further problems Brexit is causing we would be a lot smarter about it.

Is Theliberal.ie some right wing site?

Just looking at a poll about asking "should Ireland leave the EU" and to my horror it had a 55% saying Yes.

I thought after seeing the demolition of the pound and further problems Brexit is causing we would be a lot smarter about it.

Yeah it's anything but liberal. The guy that runs it is a nut job and when he gets called out he blocks you. The only thing liberal about that site is his liberal use of the block button.

And there was that whole iPhone scam a year ago which was fucking absurd

Lethal

Neo Member
Yeah it's anything but liberal. The guy that runs it is a nut job and when he gets called out he blocks you. The only thing liberal about that site is his liberal use of the block button.

And there was that whole iPhone scam a year ago which was fucking absurd

Yeah, dont use that site. And don't worry about anything that you might read there. It's made a gobshite

NateDog

Have any of you learned to drive recently? I am looking to drive pretty soon (have the theory test disc anyway) with the aim of being able to drive by myself next year (I know most provisional drivers drive without a fully licensed driver with them anyway but I still would like to avoid the worry and hassle of that). The main thing is that this time next year I'd like to move into a place that is closer to my girlfriend's home but where I can still drive her and myself up to Dublin for her college and my work but I have no idea what the deal is. I thought you have to have a gap of about a year from when you get your provisional before applying for a full licence? Then there's the RSA approved lessons you have to get before your provisional, and etc. I guess I just want to know what the general process is, how much it will cost and how long I would have to wait to be able to get a full licence if I started everything right now.

danthefan

Have any of you learned to drive recently? I am looking to drive pretty soon (have the theory test disc anyway) with the aim of being able to drive by myself next year (I know most provisional drivers drive without a fully licensed driver with them anyway but I still would like to avoid the worry and hassle of that). The main thing is that this time next year I'd like to move into a place that is closer to my girlfriend's home but where I can still drive her and myself up to Dublin for her college and my work but I have no idea what the deal is. I thought you have to have a gap of about a year from when you get your provisional before applying for a full licence? Then there's the RSA approved lessons you have to get before your provisional, and etc. I guess I just want to know what the general process is, how much it will cost and how long I would have to wait to be able to get a full licence if I started everything right now.

I was never aware of any waiting period, just that you have to get your 10 or 12 lessons. It will cost the amount the lessons do (€25-30 per hour?) and I think the test itself was something like €75 so the whole thing is not cheap by any means.

NateDog

I was never aware of any waiting period, just that you have to get your 10 or 12 lessons. It will cost the amount the lessons do (€25-30 per hour?) and I think the test itself was something like €75 so the whole thing is not cheap by any means.

Sorry my post probably came across pretty fumbled, I meant the waiting period before you can get your full license (since by law you're supposed to always have someone with a full license in the car with you every time you drive while you have your provisional).

Lethal

Neo Member
Do people actually follow that rule about needing a fully licensed driver?

Jesus the process sounds so complicated now. When I got my license, I didn't have any lessons. I did the theory test when I was 16, got a moped license. Then applied for my driving test because there was a 1 year waiting period in Dublin. That meant that I turned 17 and shortly afterwards my appointment for my test rolled around.

I don't even have an Irish license anymore though. After I got my Hong Kong driving license I guess I lost my Irish one. It would be expired now anyway...

Herne

It says I need a 3 phone number for that. I'm on Vodafone.

I didn't realise 3V vouchers remained for so long - I got a letter from them a year or so ago stating that they were now O2 Money, and now Three Money, I guess. I was given an O2 Money card with the letter - I'm surprised they didn't send one to you?

I never used it in the end because I have a Visa debit card from my bank, though there are some situations where you could make use of the temporary Visa voucher.

NateDog

Do people actually follow that rule about needing a fully licensed driver?

Jesus the process sounds so complicated now. When I got my license, I didn't have any lessons. I did the theory test when I was 16, got a moped license. Then applied for my driving test because there was a 1 year waiting period in Dublin. That meant that I turned 17 and shortly afterwards my appointment for my test rolled around.

I don't even have an Irish license anymore though. After I got my Hong Kong driving license I guess I lost my Irish one. It would be expired now anyway...
I know, it is unnecessarily complicated. They say it's for safety and sure I get that claim (whether I agree with it or not) but it needs to be simplified. Pretty much no-one follows the driving with a fully licenced driver with you but if I'm driving down the country and back fairly regularly I'm imagining I'd have a bigger chance of getting caught.

klonere

Banned
Some classic Irish begrudgery good on yas.

I work in DCU and they are all over the place every morning and evening, including the bus I'm on. It's great craic to hear all the different languages and them trying to pass as 18+ buying tobacco. Better than a dead, empty campus anyway.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I really should have mentioned this a couple of weeks back, but...I don't like the new GameStop+ stores. It was more geek merch than games when I went in there.

Lethal

Neo Member
Woooow I forgot all about Spanish students. One of my mates had one or two every summer when we were kids. They always had terrible English.

Top Bottom