• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Valhelm

contribute something
Is the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a good representation of Irish comedy applied to a modern American palate?

Besides the fact that the characters and their creator are of Irish descent, I think it could be considered a wackier extrapolation off of the avuncular tradition of Irish humor. There's a big emphasis on absurdity of expression, rather than absurdity of the situation. The plots in It's Always Sunny can be funny, but the real value comes from the way the characters experience these situations. Many plots are just a framework for funny dialogue or behavior.

This is in contrast to a show like Seinfeld, where the dialogue itself is pretty tame, and the humor comes from the situation. The plot of a Seinfeld is usually the source of an episode's value, instead of being a framework. Dialogue in Seinfeld usually just explains the plot.

Could I be onto something?

NateDog

I really should have mentioned this a couple of weeks back, but...I don't like the new GameStop+ stores. It was more geek merch than games when I went in there.

To be fair Gamestop's games sections in general have been getting pretty bad for a while now.

Lucreto

The students will be gone soon enough. They are usually gone by the end of August.

Eason's is getting bad with the loot stuff as well. Those pop figures take up a lot of space. I have not been in a Eason's in a while but I am trying to complete my Terry Pratchett book collection with the black covers and Eason's seem to get one in occasionally. Those figures are surrounding the Fantasy book section.

Is the show It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia a good representation of Irish comedy applied to a modern American palate?

Besides the fact that the characters and their creator are of Irish descent, I think it could be considered a wackier extrapolation off of the avuncular tradition of Irish humor.

Modern Irish humour would unfortunately be some garbage like Mrs. Brown's Boys. (someone explain the insane popularity of this horseshit, please!!) We've never really done humour well on TV. Father Ted is the only example I can think of and even then it was a UK production even if everything else about it was Irish.

Eason's is getting bad with the loot stuff as well. Those pop figures take up a lot of space. I have not been in a Eason's in a while but I am trying to complete my Terry Pratchett book collection with the black covers and Eason's seem to get one in occasionally. Those figures are surrounding the Fantasy book section.

Fucking despise this recent craze with loot boxes and the like. Don't understand it at all and it's even creeping into games now with Overwatch and others doing it. Pop figures, too. Stupid, ugly things. I watch Ashens on Youtube solely for the chance to see him rant about them.

d9b

Banned

Besides the fact that the characters and their creator are of Irish descent, I think it could be considered a wackier extrapolation off of the avuncular tradition of Irish humor. There's a big emphasis on absurdity of expression, rather than absurdity of the situation. The plots in It's Always Sunny can be funny, but the real value comes from the way the characters experience these situations. Many plots are just a framework for funny dialogue or behavior.

This is in contrast to a show like Seinfeld, where the dialogue itself is pretty tame, and the humor comes from the situation. The plot of a Seinfeld is usually the source of an episode's value, instead of being a framework. Dialogue in Seinfeld usually just explains the plot.

Could I be onto something?

No. I love the show, but nope.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Not Irish here, but grew up in County Clare.

Plastic Paddys coming over from America to 'find their roots' were always some entertaining cringe.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Is there some kind of summer exchange program between Spain and Ireland that explains the flood of Spanish students during the summer?

I always wondered about this, was fantastic though, so much better looking than the local girls, even if 90% of them had the exact same Hair/Face/Square black glasses.

NateDog

The students will be gone soon enough. They are usually gone by the end of August.

They revamped the Easons on O'Connell Street, it's a lot more spacious now but I don't think I like it, feels more like an airport store than Easons.

Jamie OD

They revamped the Easons on O'Connell Street, it's a lot more spacious now but I don't think I like it, feels more like an airport store than Easons.

Yeah it looks very sterile like it was just taken out of its packaging.

Love how the statue of Jesus on O'Connell St. near the taxi lane is called Taxi Driver Jesus on Pokémon Go.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really should have mentioned this a couple of weeks back, but...I don't like the new GameStop+ stores. It was more geek merch than games when I went in there.

I haven't heard of/seen any of these. Sounds awful, I am so sick of geek culture.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Cross posting from that TV show thread.

Arrested development is GOAT and frasier is only good till the end of season 7.
Ummm...no? Series 1-9 Simpsons will forever be better. I mean, AD is funny (though started to wear thin on me by the third series), but I don't really find it to be a particularly endearing show on par with Simpsons or Seinfeld.

Cross posting from that TV show thread.

Ummm...no? Series 1-9 Simpsons will forever be better. I mean, AD is funny (though started to wear thin on me by the third series), but I don't really find it to be a particularly endearing show on par with Simpsons or Seinfeld.

Well I was being slightly flippant, in the context of that thread. I don't think its overrated though.

NateDog

Yeah it is. Would be a tragedy if it closed. By a mile the best bookshop in the city.

Totally agree, staff there are great too. I do like Dubray Books as well. We're quite lucky in a way considering the choice we have. Not sure if it was just the specific area we were in but when my girlfriend and I went to Edinburgh the only book store we found was Waterstones (and I do love Waterstones and hated when they left Ireland but I'd hate to have to rely on one store), apart from one other store that had a very small range of budget books (something like Euroworld, although this actually had some decent titles including a Bowie book I had been eyeing up on Amazon for a while for £4).

Griss

Yeah it looks very sterile like it was just taken out of its packaging.

Love how the statue of Jesus on O'Connell St. near the taxi lane is called Taxi Driver Jesus on Pokémon Go.

Has Pokemon go launched in Ireland? I wasn't sure. I know there are workarounds...

And+1 for Hodges figgis, other than the fact that I picked up swine flu in there once, missed my uni exams and was set back 6 months. But it's a great shop! I still love it lol

NateDog

Why are people still buying movies from Xtravision and HMV instead of online in 2016 the year of our lord?
It's nice to get it on the day and I still like supporting stores like Golden Discs. For games importing is pretty much in every instance cheaper but from when I've checked importing movies doesn't really have you anything compared to the prices you can get here (certainly at least with Blu-rays) unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

NateDog

Actually on the subject of it was just in Henry Street HMV, had a ton of old game rentals and other bits going for cheap, picked up Alan Wake (in great nick for a rental) and a new Wiimote wheel for a combined value of €1.40. Some other decent games there too, RDR Undead PS3 €1, and most PS3/X360 games for that.

cchum

So I'll be there on the 9th. I was reading a guide Online and the guy was in love with Galway. So Dublin and Galway for me?

danthefan

So Virgin have cut Setanta and BT sports out of their TV offering as of today. I'm really not happy with it, think I might switch to Eir. Does anyone use them can you comment on their service?

Does tower records have a loyalty card? I was in there the other and I swear I heard them ask someone if they had a loyalty card. Unless the reasons loyalty card doubles up for tower records.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So Virgin have cut Setanta and BT sports out of their TV offering as of today. I'm really not happy with it, think I might switch to Eir. Does anyone use them can you comment on their service?
We were on Eir's television service from November until about last month when we switched back to Sky, and we all found it to be awful. The picture would occasionally freeze up for no reason whatsoever (in particular, Coronation Street every Friday, second episode of the night, it would just happen). We couldn't figure out if it was even possible to record a TV series linearly on series link, as instead it would record all the episodes of that show as it happened, which meant you had to piece through the episodes in your recordings to see if you could find the one you want. The image was low bitrate as well, which meant that if you wanted to watch something on, say, Sky Movies (which is only available on SD on Eir, among other channels that are available in HD on Sky), there was a chance that anything involving smoke, large crowds or various particle effects would cause the picture to become barely legible and fine details becoming lost as a result of that. So yeah, I can't say I'll ever miss being on that service, now that we've got SkyQ.

danthefan

We were on Eir's television service from November until about last month when we switched back to Sky, and we all found it to be awful. The picture would occasionally freeze up for no reason whatsoever (in particular, Coronation Street every Friday, second episode of the night, it would just happen). We couldn't figure out if it was even possible to record a TV series linearly on series link, as instead it would record all the episodes of that show as it happened, which meant you had to piece through the episodes in your recordings to see if you could find the one you want. The image was low bitrate as well, which meant that if you wanted to watch something on, say, Sky Movies (which is only available on SD on Eir, among other channels that are available in HD on Sky), there was a chance that anything involving smoke, large crowds or various particle effects would cause the picture to become barely legible and fine details becoming lost as a result of that. So yeah, I can't say I'll ever miss being on that service, now that we've got SkyQ.

Thanks a lot for that, sounds really rubbish. I think Sky is clearly going to be the better option it sounds like.

Jamie OD

One of our Olympic boxers failing a drugs test just reminded me of that time we were disqualified from Olympic show jumping because the horse was on drugs. Do'nt know why I thought of that before Michelle Smith.

NateDog

HMV's gone 50% off! So you know. Get in there before the bones are picked clean.
Which HMV do you normally frequent by the way? It only occurred to me today to look for Ghibli movies since I've only been getting into them recently but it was way too late for Henry Street anyway, although they never had loads anyway. Don't suppose you might have seen any?

And is it absolutely everything for 50% off now?

50% off all blu rays and DVD's. Usually the one on henry street.

13887086_570281436488258_2853653994207340590_n.jpg

All them were only 30 quid odd.

NateDog

If I'm applying for a job and they want me to sort out a Garda Vetting Form what do I do with it? I asked them but never got a reply. I'm not sure if I have to bring it to a Garda station and get them to fill it out or sign it and then give it to the company during an interview or if I just sign it and give it to the company and that allows them to do a check or something.

If I'm applying for a job and they want me to sort out a Garda Vetting Form what do I do with it? I asked them but never got a reply. I'm not sure if I have to bring it to a Garda station and get them to fill it out or sign it and then give it to the company during an interview or if I just sign it and give it to the company and that allows them to do a check or something.
Pretty sure you bring it to the garda station and they fill it out and you pick it up a few days later or something.

My job handled all that for me so I'm not entirely sure. Either way stall down a station and ask them.

Top Bottom