• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Police in Brazil investigating illegal Olympic ticket sales have arrested the head of the European Olympic Committees, Irishman Patrick Hickey.
Mr Hickey, 71, is suspected of being involved in a scheme to sell tickets for higher than their face value.
He was taken to hospital as a precaution, and will probably stay the night there, police said.
The Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) said he had stood down temporarily from his roles after being arrested.

Christ almighty, we're rubbish at the corruption thing.

Does that include games? Do they still even sell games?

Also, fuck this shitty weather.

Thread should be re-titled The official Weather & High Street store thread.

They do sell games, but I don't know if the deal applies. Not much new stuff anyway, I think the best stuff might have already been pinched.

It was pouring down this morning, then sunny, then rain, now its just windy.

Lucreto

Does anyone recommend any movie streaming sites for newer movies. Since Xtravision has gone I can't rent Bluray's anymore. I am looking for a site to watch Kingsglaive and the Ratchet & Clank movie.

I don't have a working PC so I can't use the Apple store.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Does anyone recommend any movie streaming sites for newer movies. Since Xtravision has gone I can't rent Bluray's anymore. I am looking for a site to watch Kingsglaive and the Ratchet & Clank movie.

I don't have a working PC so I can't use the Apple store.
Do those Xtra Vision kiosks allow you to rent movies?

Lucreto

Do those Xtra Vision kiosks allow you to rent movies?

They do but it's in a rather difficult position for me to get to. Both are really small titles and most likely won't appear in the kiosks.

I am surprised Xtravision collapsed when the digital streaming options are really limited in Ireland.

NateDog

Xtra-vision collapsed because they're incompetent. They marketed their rental subscription service to their staff actually believing and telling staff to believe that it was a better service and better value than Sky and Netflix. There are many things they could have done to actually give themselves a chance of making it work but they had no idea what they were doing.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Xtra-vision collapsed because they're incompetent. They marketed their rental subscription service to their staff actually believing and telling staff to believe that it was a better service and better value than Sky and Netflix. There are many things they could have done to actually give themselves a chance of making it work but they had no idea what they were doing.
The whole thing's just a stupid affair, really. A couple of weeks back, a HMV employee told me that they made enough of a profit to theoretically stay open, but business being business, ain't gonna speak to the higher ups otherwise.

Ohhh, I just wish HMV UK themselves would sort this mess out, because what the hell are we gonna do now with the limited options we have on offer?

14117804_578036729046062_2488429622126178572_n.jpg

In HMV.

Xtravision was great for games the last few years before its death.

Decent trade in offers and games where reasonably priced. Not over 70+ like those carnies at gamestop

Since they closed I have stuck to Amazon UK.

Clegg

HMV used to be great for all DVDs/Blu-rays/games. They had a huge selection of them. Went to school just off Stephens Green. Spent many a lunch break at the Grafton Street store. They've moved twice since leaving the original premises. Newest place is tiny.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Oh me, oh my. Just look at the movies I got today.

Hollywoodland
Austin Powers 1
Grindhouse (Planet Terror and Death Proof)
Le Week-end
Went the Day Well?
Big Game
United 93
What If?
Wolf Cop
Dragon Wars
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Departures
Her
Mud
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
The Interpreter
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Pineapple Express
Manglehorn
Naqoyqatsi

All for €40.

So...how was your day?

Visited Shannon, Galway, and Dublin this past week. First time there. I am only 25 percent Irish but, shockingly, that makes up the majority of my background. Wow, beautiful country.

Checked out Cliffs, Canemara(sp?), Temple Bar, Doolin, Crane Bar, etc. Really loved the atmosphere, the cool weather, and the Guinness. Definitely my favorite place I've been to outside the U.S.

Man the Rose of Tralee is such a shit show of a competition. Why does it still exist in 2016? Can we stop marketing ourselves as the O'Irish stereotype please.

Great article from the Sydney Rose about it in the Irish Times today. Can't believe for what a secular society we are going to mass was expected of all the Roses. Joke!

RangerX

Banned
Off to see Dublin vs Kerry at the semi final in Croker tomorrow. I hope the weather holds up. C'mon ye boys in blue!

Cocaloch

Does anyone happen to know any History Faculty at Trinity? If so I could really use being put in touch with someone. Unfortunately the Irish academy seems to be completely disconnected from the American one outside of Notre Dame and Berkeley.

RangerX

Banned
I was at it. Just back an hour or so. Full house with an absolutely brilliant atmosphere. I thought Dublin had thrown it away after conceding two goals but we battled back in the 2nd to nick it by two points in the end. We were deserved winners. I don't think anyone can really stop this Dubs team.

NateDog

Well HMV is well and truly gone.

Also classic GameStop visit today. Went in to preorder the The Last Guardian CE (had it ordered the day it went up on ShopTo but with the current exchange rate and shipping it pretty much evens out and I'd rather get it myself), person asks "which platform is that for?". Then two guys came in and went to the other staff member and asked about the Pokémon Sun and Moon steelbooks and he said "they don't seem to be up just yet but since news just came out about it yesterday I'd give it a bit longer". One of the customers replied that this was announced ages ago and the staff member looked pretty embarrassed that he was caught out and just sort of mumbled "oh well maybe we won't have it then".

Any of ye like Street fighter? Or basically any fighting game, and smash:

Lads if you're in Dublin were doing a tournament this weekend. As part of the capxo. pro tour circuit.
Stop on over and check it out.

It's at the aisling hotel which is at Houston Station. Today and tomorrow
And on www.twitch.tv/brianvondoom

Yeah I know great notice from me... Sorry.
But hey if you like that sorta thing, come over for some casual games. Come say Hi to me.

I be playing street fighter II. Watch out for me on stream ;)

Top Bottom