• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

take a stroll down jervis st and the corner of wolfetone st and abbey and you'll realise the "aesthetics" of dublin are borderline criminal. what an ugly fookin road.

acohrs

take a stroll down jervis st and the corner of wolfetone st and abbey and you'll realise the "aesthetics" of dublin are borderline criminal. what an ugly fookin road.

Agreed, the city centre needs new life and a bit of gentrifying. When I said the aesthetics of Dublin, I meant more the Georgian houses that are really nice to look at, but obviously they are situated more outside the City Centre. I'm working back in my company's head office down by The Point, it's so empty down here but there's so much potential. Could be amazing.

NateDog

Parts of the area around the point are lovely, but the walk up past places like Sheriff Street and the likes... not so much.

WolfeTone

Agreed, the city centre needs new life and a bit of gentrifying. When I said the aesthetics of Dublin, I meant more the Georgian houses that are really nice to look at, but obviously they are situated more outside the City Centre. I'm working back in my company's head office down by The Point, it's so empty down here but there's so much potential. Could be amazing.

Parts of the area around the point are lovely, but the walk up past places like Sheriff Street and the likes... not so much.

Yeah that whole area is so odd. You have the IFSC right next to some of the dodgiest parts of the city.

I agree that the Georgian parts of the city are worth preserving but they constitute a very small portion of the overall inner city. The rest could definitely use with some gentrification.

acohrs

Yeah that whole area is so odd. You have the IFSC right next to some of the dodgiest parts of the city.

I agree that the Georgian parts of the city are worth preserving but they constitute a very small portion of the overall inner city. The rest could definitely use with some gentrification.

If they finish the construction in the docklands, that will help speed up the process. Don't know how you would spruce up Oconnell st though, needs some kind of change

WolfeTone

If they finish the construction in the docklands, that will help speed up the process. Don't know how you would spruce up Oconnell st though, needs some kind of change

I think there's something of a first mover problem with regard to redeveloping O'Connell Street. No one wants to be the first stake the cash to renovate one building when the rest of the street is still going to look like an eyesore and hurt your business. The whole thing needs to be done at once, or even just the stretch north of the Spire.

what's the deal with all the young ones wanting to have bonfires?

same as the english doing them on the 5th of November. the craic.

it's an ancient samhain tradition, though if you stick to ancient pagan traditions they should be lit on the 30th of April / 1st of May too.

acohrs

Young people in Ireland have a joy for burning things, destroying bus shelters and various other acts of petty vandalism. It's why we can't have nice things.

Yeah but I mean more why the bonfires on Halloween? What's the tradition there like? Who started it and all that?

Had about 10 trick or treat parties calling to the door tonight. I sat in the living room in front of the fire playing Gears Of War 4 and never answered the door once. What a life to be living.

Lucreto

Had about 10 trick or treat parties calling to the door tonight. I sat in the living room in front of the fire playing Gears Of War 4 and never answered the door once. What a life to be living.

I sat upstairs and did some Christmas shopping. I am about half done already.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
14900374_10154147083033667_2714090155089147841_n.jpg

acohrs

They're apparently protective and cleansing. To usher in the new season. Which was Samhain for the 31st of October.

Sorry, was replying on phone and didn't see your comment. Why don't they just organise public bonfires in Ireland like they do in England for November 5th?

Lucreto

Sorry, was replying on phone and didn't see your comment. Why don't they just organise public bonfires in Ireland like they do in England for November 5th?

That would be the logical thing to do but logic doesn't apply to the Government or local councils.

Bonfires I believe are illegal as well and the Gardai confiscate wood but usually are set up with a few minutes notice. They are using drones to find hidden stashes of wood this year.

Fireworks are banned as well so everyone has them.

Only had small wave of kids over about a half hour.

Apparently 90% of the houses in my estate just don't bother answering the door so most give up and go elsewhere by three time they reach me.

acohrs

That would be the logical thing to do but logic doesn't apply to the Government or local councils.

Bonfires I believe are illegal as well and the Gardai confiscate wood but usually are set up with a few minutes notice. They are using drones to find hidden stashes of wood this year.

Fireworks are banned as well so everyone has them.

That's just baffling...

bunsen is class. I was walking home here the other day and I saw about 5 groups of kids each with a full dumpster bin full of pallets walking around the industrial estate. there must have been at least 30 pallets and the kids were coordinating the whole thing so weirdly well.

when i was a little scrote we just hid them behind some trees.

acohrs

bunsen is class. I was walking home here the other day and I saw about 5 groups of kids each with a full dumpster bin full of pallets walking around the industrial estate. there must have been at least 30 pallets and the kids were coordinating the whole thing so weirdly well.

when i was a little scrote we just hid them behind some trees.

it's actually kind of impressive some of the skills that the little scrotes are learning by stockpiling for bonfires. Teamwork, organisation, patience, perseverance, and coordination. If it wasn't so dangerous an activity, one would argue we should be encouraging kids to be more like that.

What I love most about Bunsen is how greasy and sloppy the burgers are. They're really messy to eat but taste so much better for it!

NateDog

This is very random but I think Tesco are having some pricing issues, they have most Goodfellas frozen deep pan pizzas for 92c and McCains Mexican wedges for 85c right now if y'all are hungry and lazy like me.

Lucreto

This teacher strike is insane. I've heard rumors some schools might be closed for up to a month.

Its crazy but it won't happen. Some agreement will happen soon. The last time they went on strike I think I was in second year and the teachers left tonnes of work to fill the time.

Has anyone been to five guys yet?

Me and the gf were in Dundrum two or three weeks ago. Seen the line was all the way up to the fountain and apparently it's like 17 euro for a burger chips and a drink, fucking bollox to that.

I'd rather hit a Silvios and get equal amounts of food for around a tenner

NateDog

Any of you guys ever quit a job to go straight into another when you were supposed to give a certain (decent) amount of notice? I might have an interview for a position soon but I'm supposed to give my job 1 month notice yet this position is to start immediately. I thought you could just quit on the spot and forfeit any wages owed to you at that point but the Citizens Information website suggests that's not the case and that by law you have to give at least a week's notice regardless of contract arrangements if you've worked over 13 weeks.

Anyway I guess doing that won't give a great impression to new employers even if it's just a desire to start a job with them.

Lucreto

Any of you guys ever quit a job to go straight into another when you were supposed to give a certain (decent) amount of notice? I might have an interview for a position soon but I'm supposed to give my job 1 month notice yet this position is to start immediately. I thought you could just quit on the spot and forfeit any wages owed to you at that point but the Citizens Information website suggests that's not the case and that by law you have to give at least a week's notice regardless of contract arrangements if you've worked over 13 weeks.

Anyway I guess doing that won't give a great impression to new employers even if it's just a desire to start a job with them.

I think it depends on the company. A coworker who worked with the company for 15 years left. It was contract to give 2 months notice for being there that long. He gave two weeks. They were not happy but let it happen.

Immediate doesn't mean immediate they also know the law and know you have a job. They have to allow time for you to leave your other job.

acohrs

Once you get a job offer from the new company, tell them about your notice period and give them a date when you can start. At the same time, tell your old company too and give notice as soon as possible.

NateDog

Thanks guys, while I want to get out of my current position as soon as possible to a better one, I making a move like that here could have really badly affected me in terms of references and applications for the next while.

Hello Irish-GAF!

My best friend and I decided for our annual vacation, we're going to Dublin in 2017. I love to plan well in advance, so I wanted to ask for some advice for a Yank.

What's the best time to visit? We're thinking around May. Also, apart from touristy stuff, what are some things you'd recommend we do in Dublin apart from drink really good beer? Lastly, any can't-miss restaurants to check out?

Top Bottom