• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

acohrs

Hello Irish-GAF!

My best friend and I decided for our annual vacation, we're going to Dublin in 2017. I love to plan well in advance, so I wanted to ask for some advice for a Yank.

What's the best time to visit? We're thinking around May. Also, apart from touristy stuff, what are some things you'd recommend we do in Dublin apart from drink really good beer? Lastly, any can't-miss restaurants to check out?

Go to Bear. Their steaks and million dollar fries are to die for

I see our TV licence money is getting Katie Hopkins on The Late Late tonight.

Guesses on how long it takes to bring up the US Election, 30 seconds?

Been thinking... Is there anything Ireland could do to get onto this national embarrassment train the US and UK are on?

Do we have a symbolic big red button we probably shouldnt push?

acohrs

Been thinking... Is there anything Ireland could do to get onto this national embarrassment train the US and UK are on?

Do we have a symbolic big red button we probably shouldnt push?

Vote in Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein with a majority in the Dail? At least Brexit and Trump aren't known criminals

Wasn't ours the bailout and the country nearly going bankrupt?

I kinda forgot about that.

Yeah... thats ours.

I remember now because I had some friends from America over that very week there was a load of protests in Dublin and shit actually hit the fan when the government finally said bad stuff was happening.

I remember the build up to that being pretty terrible but I forgot the details surrounding everything now TBH. All I remember was the government furiously denying anything bad was going on and that they totally where not talking to the IMF, everything was fine. Then suddenly we are totally talking to the IMF, shit is on fire OH GOD. Suddenly elections are being called and the government had a big deer in headlights moment for the next year.

I should look up some news stories or a wiki page again sometime. Its all a blur now.

Dazzler

Vote in Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein with a majority in the Dail? At least Brexit and Trump aren't known criminals

Sinn Fein aren't exactly right wing, though.

I do agree voting them in would be a disaster, their economic policy isn't the most well thought out idea in the world

acohrs

Sinn Fein aren't exactly right wing, though.

I do agree voting them in would be a disaster, their economic policy isn't the most well thought out idea in the world

I wasn't thinking of right or left when I said that, just that Gerry Adams is dodgy at best and at worst is guilty of being complicit in murder and the movement of pedophile rapists.

Wasn't here for the crash, so can't comment on that being as bad.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Kinda weird how Ireland is currently the not stupid one out of the US/UK/Eire right now.
14962588_1512220458804660_5102076319365828355_n.jpg

NateDog

I loved Leo Burdocks when I first arrived in Dublin, but they haven't been too good in a while.
I agree with this, it doesn't feel like a classic chipper to me in its current state, more like an Abrakebabra or something (which ironically I also used to love but not so much since the rebranding a couple of years back).

Anyone catch the moon over the last few nights (mainly Monday or Tuesday)? I finished work late but turned around and saw it looked remarkably clear and bright. Apparently it was a supermoon and was the closest it has been to Earth for some time and won't be as close again for 20 years.

acohrs

I agree with this, it doesn't feel like a classic chipper to me in its current state, more like an Abrakebabra or something (which ironically I also used to love but not so much since the rebranding a couple of years back).

Anyone catch the moon over the last few nights (mainly Monday or Tuesday)? I finished work late but turned around and saw it looked remarkably clear and bright. Apparently it was a supermoon and was the closest it has been to Earth for some time and won't be as close again for 20 years.

Don't know this Abrakebabra, the only chain I know with a similar name is Abrakestabra. Never been in there though.

Did notice the moon was pretty big yesterday. Anyone run the in the dark run?

NateDog

Anyone going to the FFXV thing on Tuesday? I actually really wanted to go out of curiosity of the goodie bag and prizes but 4 hours long is insane.

acohrs

Anyone going to the Kiwi match this weekend. Bet it is going to be incredible at the Aviva, gutted I don't have four thousand yoyos lying around to buy a ticket though...

acohrs

I'm part of the Irish Supporters Club so got tickets for tomorrow's game and the Australia game a week later. Can't wait

Aw mate, you will have a blast! I went last week for Ireland vs Canada with my fiancee's father. Never been to a rugby match before at the Aviva, but the atmosphere is amazing (only regret, didn't gave tea before I went expecting to be able to get food at halftime, big mistake!). COYBIG

Aw mate, you will have a blast! I went last week for Ireland vs Canada with my fiancee's father. Never been to a rugby match before at the Aviva, but the atmosphere is amazing (only regret, didn't gave tea before I went expecting to be able to get food at halftime, big mistake!). COYBIG

I'm sure I will. There's only 3 teams in world that make it a great atmosphere in the Aviva and the All Black's are one of them. Can't wait

Who's picking up Pokemon Sun/Moon today? I haven't played a Pokemon game since Blue almost 20 years ago and I think I'm gonna jump back on the bandwagon again. It's been a long ass time but I loved the original to death at the time. Not sure whether I'll go for Sun or Moon, though.

acohrs

Who's picking up Pokemon Sun/Moon today? I haven't played a Pokemon game since Blue almost 20 years ago and I think I'm gonna jump back on the bandwagon again. It's been a long ass time but I loved the original to death at the time. Not sure whether I'll go for Sun or Moon, though.

If you get Sun, I'll get moon. We can meet up and trade! Also, don't they come out the 23rd?

Need a pair of waterproof boots for this cold winter coming up, went on amazon.co.uk and found some timberland boots for 110 quid, 50 quid off. With express delivery, still cheaper than in Ireland (215 down to 190 yoyos for black friday). Bring on the snow!

If you get Sun, I'll get moon. We can meet up and trade! Also, don't they come out the 23rd?

Need a pair of waterproof boots for this cold winter coming up, went on amazon.co.uk and found some timberland boots for 110 quid, 50 quid off. With express delivery, still cheaper than in Ireland (215 down to 190 yoyos for black friday). Bring on the snow!

They do indeed sadly.

acohrs

Ah shit, I thought they were out today!

[edit] Out in the US today, we have to wait until next week. ffs.

Mate, I'm glad they do. Received Dishonored 2 CE as a present on Monday and still on the 2nd mission I think. With that and watching all the rugby tomorrow, wouldn't have time for Pokemon!

NateDog

It's funny because it makes no sense.

NA game releases

- "We release games on Tuesdays not Fridays so we get them 3 days before you"

*Game releases on Friday in NA*

"OK guys you can have it next Wednesday for no reason at all"

Podge293

I always thought the atmosphere at rugby games in the aviva was pretty meh. Last one I was at was O'Connells last game and it was pretty flat

acohrs

I always thought the atmosphere at rugby games in the aviva was pretty meh. Last one I was at was O'Connells last game and it was pretty flat

The Ireland vs Canada match had a really fun atmosphere. Few Mexican waves and Viking Claps too, plus it's great walking to the stadium and seeing the streets start filing up the closer you get.

NateDog

Anyone know a good place to get bed sheets? Apart from Argos I guess, just need a decent 100% cotton one that isn't pricey as polycotton feels disgusting and I don't know how we've dealt with it for the last 5 months.

acohrs

Anyone know a good place to get bed sheets? Apart from Argos I guess, just need a decent 100% cotton one that isn't pricey as polycotton feels disgusting and I don't know how we've dealt with it for the last 5 months.

Egyptian cotton from dunnes stores, very comfy

Edit: actually any cotton sheets from dunne stores are great

Top Bottom