• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Podge293

Who is the most famous historical figure in all of the history of Ireland.

In Britain its either Isaac Newton or William Shakespeare

what is Ireland's? James Joyce

Ah it's either padraic pearse, eamon de Valera or Michael Collins.

To me they'd be the biggest three. Our history basically evolves around em.

acohrs

In Sweden on holiday, it's amazing how clean the roads and canals/rivers of Gotenborg are compared to Dublin. Also, went to an Irish pub called the Dubliner to watch the premier league, busiest pub in the city! Live trad band and lots of Irish coffees, think I even heard them play 'the leaving of liverpool'. It's a weird feeling as a born and bred Londoner to miss Dublin after hearing the Dubliners!

WolfeTone

Who is the most famous historical figure in all of the history of Ireland.

In Britain its either Isaac Newton or William Shakespeare

what is Ireland's? James Joyce

I'd say among Irish people, De Valera or Collins are the most famous, though Collins didn't do much to earn that fame, most of it coming from his early death.

I wouldn't say that these people had the largest impact on Irish history though. Most of the figures who had the most impact on the course of Irish history were non-Irish, English royalty, PMs etc.

Daniel O'Connell probably had the largest impact on Irish history. This probably would have gone to Charles Stewart Parnell had he not has his reputation destroyed by an affair. Ireland probably would have achieved Home Rule in the 1890s were it not for this.

Who do you folks think the most famous Irish person among the wider world is? Yeats, Joyce, Bono, Roy Keane, Niall Horan, someone obvious I'm forgetting?

NateDog

In London but from Google, students fee protest.

link

Good for them, want my potential future kids to have free access to third level education
Sorry but you should shelve that hope, fees will continue to rise for years to come. You'll be lucky if they come down at all by the time your kids are considering third level studies.

I went to one protest in I think my second year, hadn't done it before and went by myself but I was happy with myself that I did. I was outside on my break today and heard noise and thought about the time of year and rightly guessed what it was without needing to check.

acohrs

Watching Gogglebox Ireland for the first time tonight, the best so far was the intro where the 2 auld wans were yelling at the cat to get off the counter! Especially the one on the sofa who won't get off her arse but is threatening the cat!

acohrs

Irish times article on Irish Americans and how they identify with their Irish heritage

Really interesting article on Irish Americans, their heritage, identity, and romanticisation of their Irish ancestors. Article is based on a number of interviews with Irish Americans living in Boston.

They are asked a bunch of questions relating to Irish history and identity, some of the answers are really enlightening as to why Irish Americans feel so strongly about their ties to Ireland, or more appropriately, their ties to the Irish settlers than landed in the states

WolfeTone

Irish times article on Irish Americans and how they identify with their Irish heritage

Really interesting article on Irish Americans, their heritage, identity, and romanticisation of their Irish ancestors. Article is based on a number of interviews with Irish Americans living in Boston.

They are asked a bunch of questions relating to Irish history and identity, some of the answers are really enlightening as to why Irish Americans feel so strongly about their ties to Ireland, or more appropriately, their ties to the Irish settlers than landed in the states

That was quite interesting. Some of them were surprisingly well-informed on modern Ireland (with the exception of the North and the Troubles which most of them were quite misguided on). I'm glad very few of them have the fairy-tale notion of endless green fields dotted with cottages.

A lot of us in Ireland seem to hate the Irish-Americans especially when they call themselves 'Irish' but I think the reason why they do it was because for a large portion of US history, Irish wasn't just a nationality, it was almost like an ethnicity. Similar to the Italians, the Irish immigrants and their descendants were singled out and excluded from certain jobs. It makes sense that they'd develop their own enclave that's persisted to this day. Them using the term 'Irish' to label themselves means something very different to what we mean when we use it here in Ireland.

NateDog

What are you all getting up to for Halloween then? I'm heading to Offaly to see my girlfriend's family which will be interesting let's say, I'd much prefer it than stay here though, D12 is awful in certain areas around Halloween and our apartment neighbours are already annoying enough.

acohrs

What are you all getting up to for Halloween then? I'm heading to Offaly to see my girlfriend's family which will be interesting let's say, I'd much prefer it than stay here though, D12 is awful in certain areas around Halloween and our apartment neighbours are already annoying enough.

D8 is the same, can hear bangers and fireworks going off every hour atm near us. Imagine Halloween is going to be just sirens and bonfires.

However, Brother is visiting from abroad, so will want to do something on that night I imagine. If it was my choice, I would go to the Horrorthon at the IFI. Best cinema event of the year!

Gonna sit in the house with the cat and hand out sweets. Maybe watch It Follows.

Great film! How is the cat btw? You've had him more than a month now right?

D8 is the same, can hear bangers and fireworks going off every hour atm near us. Imagine Halloween is going to be just sirens and bonfires.

However, Brother is visiting from abroad, so will want to do something on that night I imagine. If it was my choice, I would go to the Horrorthon at the IFI. Best cinema event of the year!

Great film! How is the cat btw? You've had him more than a month now right?

It is great, I love it :D

And he's good. Very affectionate.

Lucreto

Hate Halloween,

I plan to sit in the dark upstairs with my tablet while the kids are doing the rounds and do my Christmas shopping.

I have only heard only 2 bangers so far this year.

acohrs

Hate Halloween,

I plan to sit in the dark upstairs with my tablet while the kids are doing the rounds and do my Christmas shopping.

I have only heard only 2 bangers so far this year.

Jaysus, killing 2 birds with 1 stone! Haven't seen any kids stockpiling for bonfires yet. Maybe there won't be clashes with the emergency services this year!

NateDog

Do GD sell games?
Not normally and not as of yet. They just blocked off the bottom floor. I just hope they're not stretching themselves too far with this and the Tesco deal. That Henry Street building alone costs a pretty penny to rent and it's way too big for them. You can tell it has been rushed too since none of the layout has been changed and the logo doesn't even look like theirs on the storefront.

NateDog

They do and they're placed around Dublin fairly well. But with the added costs they'll have now it's a little different, I wonder whether taking over a HMV store (could be doing the same in places like Kilkenny or Galway too maybe) will help them that much to make it worthwhile.

acohrs

They do and they're placed around Dublin fairly well. But with the added costs they'll have now it's a little different, I wonder whether taking over a HMV store (could be doing the same in places like Kilkenny or Galway too maybe) will help them that much to make it worthwhile.

I hope so, otherwise there will only be the big Tower Records store in the centre of town as a store that stocks lots of new release, physical media

WolfeTone

https://lovindublin.com/opinion/the...arted-and-dublin-is-already-at-breaking-point

Dublin being at breaking point is right. City centre is a shambles right now.

I don't agree with a lot of what Niall Harbison usually says, but this article is spot on.

Dublin infrastructure is a bit of joke alright. Someone once told me that Dublin was unfortunate to not be bombed by the Nazis since it never gave us a chance to rebuild it with a modern infrastructure as many other European cities were.

As it stands we're stuck driving cars around a medieval town.

The LUAS was a great success but certainly needs to be expanded to more areas. The Northside weeps.

The other stuff about housing is also pretty accurate. It's too bad the housing boom went out and not up. Dublin needs more high rises and apartments. At the moment you've got people living out in the boonies doing 2 hour commutes, crammed into house shares or living with their mammies until their 30s.

acohrs

I don't agree with a lot of what Niall Harbison usually says, but this article is spot on.

Dublin infrastructure is a bit of joke alright. Someone once told me that Dublin was unfortunate to not be bombed by the Nazis since it never gave us a chance to rebuild it with a modern infrastructure as many other European cities were.

As it stands we're stuck driving cars around a medieval town.

The LUAS was a great success but certainly needs to be expanded to more areas. The Northside weeps.

The other stuff about housing is also pretty accurate. It's too bad the housing boom went out and not up. Dublin needs more high rises and apartments. At the moment you've got people living out in the boonies doing 2 hour commutes, crammed into house shares or living with their mammies until their 30s.

I agree about the high rises, Dublin would benefit a lot from taller buildings, although it would take a lot away from the aesthetics of the city, but It's not a city built for commuting.

You know that there trying to impose a building height restriction?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/simon-coveney-uncomfortable-with-building-height-restrictions-during-housing-crisis-417392.html

WolfeTone

I agree about the high rises, Dublin would benefit a lot from taller buildings, although it would take a lot away from the aesthetics of the city, but It's not a city built for commuting.

You know that there trying to impose a building height restriction?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/simon-coveney-uncomfortable-with-building-height-restrictions-during-housing-crisis-417392.html

I've never been able to sympathise with the push to preserve the aesthetics of the city. There's a few nice looking buildings in the city center but for the most part, inner city Dublin is a shithole and an embarrassment. O'Connell Street alone is plastered with miserable-looking eyesores of buildings. Head off any side street to be met with similar dreary vibes. The stretch between O'Connell Street and Connolly station on Talbot Street should be demolished. The IFSC should have been located there, instead the suits have to trek passed the junkies to get to work.

There are a bunch of areas in Dublin that are ripe for development. Phibsbourough and East Wall are too close to the city center to be filled with 2 bedroom terraced houses. Pump money into them and build a few high rises.

I think Ireland will have a problem cashing in on any post-Brexit relocation of FDI unless it can modernize the city centre infrastructure. It's long overdue but I can't see a glimmer of hope. It's not a priority for any political party.

WolfeTone

You'd hope thats why they're doing the luas line. God knows why it took them 12 years, or why they didn't just do it in the first place.

I can see why they initially didn't want to invest in a city-wide light rail system. Large cost with no clear indication that it would be a success.

Now that it's been hugely successful, it's long overdue for an expansion. Connecting the two lines is a start but it really needs to extend into the northside. Phibsborough, Drumcondra, Santry would be well-serviced by it with a branch to Ballymun if they're feeling ambitious.

acohrs

I've never been able to sympathise with the push to preserve the aesthetics of the city. There's a few nice looking buildings in the city center but for the most part, inner city Dublin is a shithole and an embarrassment. O'Connell Street alone is plastered with miserable-looking eyesores of buildings. Head off any side street to be met with similar dreary vibes. The stretch between O'Connell Street and Connolly station on Talbot Street should be demolished. The IFSC should have been located there, instead the suits have to trek passed the junkies to get to work.

There are a bunch of areas in Dublin that are ripe for development. Phibsbourough and East Wall are too close to the city center to be filled with 2 bedroom terraced houses. Pump money into them and build a few high rises.

I think Ireland will have a problem cashing in on any post-Brexit relocation of FDI unless it can modernize the city centre infrastructure. It's long overdue but I can't see a glimmer of hope. It's not a priority for any political party.

I don't think Dublin, Paris or Frankfurt will steal any financial institutions from London and it's not because they wouldn't save money from tariffs. The banks have office buildings bigger than any office location in Dublin. The money they would save from passporting would be lost on real estate, and having to pay huge sums of money on getting accommodation for staff. That's not to say some parts of the banks won't move but not the whole offices.link

When I think about it, this is a good thing as the biggest banks in London have several thousand staff each. Even one bank moving it's whole office to Dublin would be a disaster due to Dublin's infrastructural and housing shortage problems.

Top Bottom