• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

I got another boneless pork loin. This time instead of turning it all into thick pork chops I made a variety of cuts.
29794657385_ec115a6ca5_b.jpg

From left to right you have some thick cut chops from the fatty end, a roast, some thin sliced breakfast chops, two butterflied ones for pork schnitzel, and thin strips for stir fries and pork fried rice. I'm vacuum sealing and freezing everything I don't plan on cooking in the next two days. I really can't get over how versatile, economical and healthy this is.

excellent idea there,got a huge ole pork loin in the fridge. Never had schnitzel before might try that myself.

2MPqwKd.jpg

Went to the Le Creuset outlet yesterday and came home with two new pieces.

Both are in coastal blue which is a light blue-ish grey depending on the light hitting it. Got their big skillet, and a 2 quart Dutch oven. Only cooking for me and the GF really don't need a massive Dutch oven to cook in.

Best part; both pieces in total 180 bucks.

Le Creuset outlet is the best.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
2MPqwKd.jpg

Both are in coastal blue which is a light blue-ish grey depending on the light hitting it. Got their big skillet, and a 2 quart Dutch oven. Only cooking for me and the GF really don't need a massive Dutch oven to cook in.

That's a shockingly great price for Leading Creuset. Their tiny individual cocottes are too damn cute, but also too damn expensive.

That's a shockingly great price for Leading Creuset. Their tiny individual cocottes are too damn cute, but also too damn expensive.

I remember getting 2 of them for I think 25 bucks maybe the time before I went.

Tonight I'm taking a shot at the America's Test Kitchen Classic Chili recipe.

athqfDn.jpg

joe2187

Banned
I wish I had time to take pictures of my work. Been working three weeks since my new Job working as a professional chef at Caltech/JPL.

In charge of working buffets and special events.

Every week has been a helluva experience, but the buffet style is super old school to the point where part of my job entails grabbing a chainsaw and making ice sculptures, to grill stations on the buffet line, like making sushi on the fly or yakitori and live octopus.

I'll update with some photos later, but it's nice to finally say I've found my place in the industry.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I still have to post my pictures from France, I also just made pumpkin spice pralines..so expect a lot of pictures this weekend

Stupid question when it comes to a recipe.

I'm making this German mac and cheese recipe and it calls for 4oz of one cheese and 4oz of another.

That's fine and dandy 8 oz of cheese, but then it says to set aside 1 cup of the cheese mixture to top the casserole.

Well 4 oz + 4 oz = 1 cup.

I assume they mean if you take 4oz of solid cheese and grate it, the volume is much greater than the original 4oz.

zbarron

Stupid question when it comes to a recipe.

I'm making this German mac and cheese recipe and it calls for 4oz of one cheese and 4oz of another.

That's fine and dandy 8 oz of cheese, but then it says to set aside 1 cup of the cheese mixture to top the casserole.

Well 4 oz + 4 oz = 1 cup.

I assume they mean if you take 4oz of solid cheese and grate it, the volume is much greater than the original 4oz.

I'd say your assumption sounds correct. oz being a weight measurement and cup being volume.

Nothing special looking but I made a big batch of Kenji's McDonald's style fries
29795112631_70dc017f20_b.jpg

They are delicious. Very crunchy. I might like them cut a little thicker next time so the ratio of crunchy outside to softer inside leans more toward the former.

Milchjon

I'm watching Sean Brock's Mind of a Chef and I'm completely smitten.

It also makes me wanna start a place that's all based on the idea of fermenting stuff.

It's awesome hearing about someone on here doing exactly what I want to do down the road!!!

Let us know if you have any questions, happy to ramble.

We made goat milk-based mozzarella yesterday. Something in the salting and cultures was off as it came out very much like a low-moisture mozzarella--bit rubbery. Still... interesting, though, and we'll eat it in some paninis or something. Will post pictures of it when we do it properly :p.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Im staging today under a two time james beard award winning pastry chef and im nervous as fuck.

Pray4me, IronGAF.

I somehow skipped the "james" part and read it as "two time beard award winning pastry chef" and kind of wondered if this was something given to pastry chefs with anormally lustrous beards or something, like some kind of hipster cabal of confectionery masters.

Give us updates!

Great stuff, everybody!
Keep it coming.

interesting presentation, mind to share the recipe? It looks a bit uncommon, but nonetheless delicious to me.

It's super simple

2 cups heavy cream
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch ground white pepper
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch of dry mustard
4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
4 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pound cooked elbow macaroni

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 16×9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Combine cream, eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl, whisking to combine. Toss cheeses together in a small bowl until combined; remove 1 cup cheese and set aside. Stir remaining cheeses into cream mixture.

3. Cook macaroni until just tender; drain and add cream mixture, stirring immediately. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil.

4. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, and sprinkle reserved cheese over top of noodles. Bake 15 minutes longer.

5. Cool 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve warm.

I also added a little less than a half a pound of chopped up ham as well.

Bit simple, but it was fun to do from scratch.

Salt & pepper pork bao with pickled radishes:

2MPqwKd.jpg

I'm so jealous. That color is gorgeous too. Might have to ask for a piece for Christmas. Beg if I have to, really.

Im staging today under a two time james beard award winning pastry chef and im nervous as fuck.

Pray4me, IronGAF.

Good luck, Bento~

I'm so jealous. That color is gorgeous too. Might have to ask for a piece for Christmas. Beg if I have to, really.

What I found odd is that the color Coastal Blue isn't even on the Le Creuset website.

I know the metallic charcoal braiser I have next to the two coastal blue pieces is an outlet exclusive color.

It's just a shame the colors I own and like aren't the easiest to find;

Mineral Blue
Dune
Truffle

Then I have a few pieces in white.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Vacation in France Food

First Menue for 22€
First course Quiche
ZJiZMBdh.jpg

Second chicken in riesling sauce
xm0Q1O9h.jpg

Third Munster Cheese with apple jam
a5rPJc5h.jpg

Liliths Birthday Dinner
First course duck foire gras
nCrxV4Zh.jpg

Second duck in pinot noir sauce
5UvVHklh.jpg

Third caramel pudding
FulKLBrh.jpg

AAAND todays japanese dish
seiKr00h.jpg

pK8qT0fh.jpg

9zTvk0Eh.jpg

pig belly with radish, cooked in a sauce made from sake, mirin, sugar, water, soy sauce, and ginger. It was delicious. source

yesterdays bread salad
had some old bread left over and some fresh sunray and san marzano tomatoes from the terrace
qCGH4Tjh.jpg

What I found odd is that the color Coastal Blue isn't even on the Le Creuset website.

I know the metallic charcoal braiser I have next to the two coastal blue pieces is an outlet exclusive color.

It's just a shame the colors I own and like aren't the easiest to find;

Mineral Blue
Dune
Truffle

Then I have a few pieces in white.

I've always been partial to the Volcanic or Cerise versions, but that Coastal Blue is lovely. Might not show on your Le Creuset website, but the UK one here has it. Hmmm... :)

Good luck. I hope you get it. You make some bomb ass pastry.

Mind sharing the pickled radish recipe? Is it a quick pickle?

Sure! Super easy, and pickles quickly. Thinly sliced radishes (I did 10-12, but more is fine), equal parts sugar and mirin (I did 1/2 cup), a few grinds of salt, and then shake in a jar. Stick it in the fridge and give a shake every now and then. Think I had some just a half hour in for a salad and they were nice. The longer they've been in the better they taste, though~

AAAND todays japanese dish
pig belly with radish, cooked in a sauce made from sake, mirin, sugar, water, soy sauce, and ginger. It was delicious. source

The vacation food looked nice, but this is what I'll be stealing. Yoink! (Thanks!)

So I bought about 3lbs of chicken feet because I heard they make good broth/stock. Any particular ratio of feet to water? I plan on throwing in a cheese cloth sack of some seasoning too, any recommendations? Give you me your best estimate of how much you use. I don't want it to come out too salty or over flavored. I want a simple taste that would be good on it's own or in a simple noodle soup.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
klar, warum nicht?

done

The vacation food looked nice, but this is what I'll be stealing. Yoink! (Thanks!)

I would change the recipe a little bit tho! instead of 150ml soy sauce use 100ml and instead of 50ml mirin use 100ml mirin!

It tasted really good with the recipe measurements, but was a little bit to salty. next time I'll also use more mirin and less soy sauce.

So I bought about 3lbs of chicken feet because I heard they make good broth/stock. Any particular ratio of feet to water? I plan on throwing in a cheese cloth sack of some seasoning too, any recommendations? Give you me your best estimate of how much you use. I don't want it to come out too salty or over flavored. I want a simple taste that would be good on it's own or in a simple noodle soup.

I don't really have a recipe when I make chicken stock, only some guide lines I follow. Don't use salt when you cook the seasoning and the feet, because this way the water will absorb more flavour, at least that's how I learned it. Salt in the water while making broth -> you want to use the meat later; no salt in the water while making broth -> you want to throw away the meat because the water will absorb all the flavour and the meat will be tasteless.
I would probably use your 3lb of chicken feet, enough water to cover them just a little bit and for seasoning I would use ginger, one whole chilli, whole black pepper, maybe half a lemon, and/or other seasoning you like.
When the broth is done, use salt and freeze. Also, if it's to salty or flavoured you can always add more water.

InfiniteBento, how did it go

sooooo a lot happened

I woke up at 6am and worked from 8am to 4pm then went to my stage at 5pm. I was pretty tired and part of me wanted to not go because my job earlier was extremely busy (300 sales nonstop my whole shift) but I sucked it up and grabbed my knife bag and went.

I met the Sous and 3 other pastry cooks. Was introduced to a lot of other staff both FOH and BOH. Overall staff wasn't anywhere near as excessive as my previous restaurant job where staff was almost 100 people and we served up to 600 covers on weekends. Staff for both sides of the house for the night was a little over 20 people total. The Sous showed me the kitchen and explained how this kitchen is primarily 80% pastry 20% savory. Every kitchen I had been in prior was the opposite so this was really mind-blowing for me to see. The Savory stations were smaller despite the menu having some really cool options for courses and only consisted of 3 guys( 1 garde manager, 2 savory line cooks). Almost all the space was designated for pastry including the walk in, freezer, and dry storage. It was like a pastry playground almost.

The main line that pastry plated on was actually out under a spotlight where the diners can actually see us working. So my whole night I was mostly out on the line plating desserts while guests dining in could see. I was paired up with the primary PM plater after the Sous parted ways for the night after having worked the AM to assist with production. So the PM plater showed me where everything was and then showed me the line where we would be plating. She showed me the desserts and how they were plated.

This is the menu I plated throughout the evening (not including milkshakes and single scoops or the special hot chocolate menu since this restaurant specializes in huge craft hot chocolates.)

crkDuUm.png

I assisted with plating throughout the evening. It was a sunday so it wasn't busy so I actually got to experience a lot. During downtime, I made a huge 8qt batch of cocoa nib ganache and hazelnut sugar. Talked about how they make rice crackers for dessert using just puree'd cooked rice which I thought was fucking awesome. Plus a bunch of other things. I tasted a lot of sweets and even had 3 mini hot chocolates (one of them was lemon white chocolate and it was the bees knees i swear) at the end of my shift to try them. I probably have diabetes now from the sugar overload @___@

anyway, after the final table rang in, i stayed to help deep clean. I learned the whole process start to finish. I stayed 6 hours total for my stage.

At the end of it, the pastry assistant who is 2nd in command, told me I did a really great job and handed me an envelope for me to open later. I shook hands with everyone, thanked them and left with the biggest dumb grin on my face.

I get on the train home and open the envelope. It said on a sticky note, thanks! and had the contact information of the Sous chef and $50 in it.

I've never been paid for a stage before. I legit had tears in my eyes from how kind of a gesture this was especially considering when i started the stage i signed a stage form saying i knew i wasnt going to be paid.

I feel like I got the job but I don't want to say for sure. She said she would contact me Wednesday with her decision after talking with her assistant and the PM plater.

I loved it tho. It was my first time in a kitchen in 6 months after my best friend passed away and I honestly thought I was going to fuck it up and ruin everything. I didn't tho. I didn't break anything or spill shit or anything else. I felt really proud of myself but boooooyyyyy after that 15 hour day, I knocked the fuck out when I got home.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I know I already posted it once but today I made Japanese hamburger again

bHvxd0Y.jpg

b4dqFIS.jpg

First picture before I put them in the oven to rest until I had made the hamburger sauce

I prefer one big burger, Lilith rather has two small ones.
The ground radish is pink because we used a red kind that the farmer sold.

And how do I got such an amazing Kellogg's spoon o_o

I really want to get back into Japanese cooking, but my company [major global hotel] just doesn't have any spots available. And I hate the classical/Western cooking we do at my hotel. I wanna just bounce, but the money is so good here, I feel it'd be stupid to leave.

I think I'm just gonna keep an eye open for online job postings at high-profile stuff like Japanese properties and stuff like Nobu... worst comes to worst, I hit my 2 year mark next February and use my vacation time to visit Japan, then switch jobs here in ATX.

Thanks everyone ! I find out tomorrow if i got the job or not. Im hopeful but still nervous about it 😔

Also I need that Japanese hamburger recipe! It looks amazing and I want to try my hand at making it for dinner sometime soon :O

Top Bottom