• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks everyone ! I find out tomorrow if i got the job or not. Im hopeful but still nervous about it 😔

Also I need that Japanese hamburger recipe! It looks amazing and I want to try my hand at making it for dinner sometime soon :O

for the burger I use 400gr (around 14 oz) ground beef, nutmeg, salt, pepper, one egg, if you use big onions half an onion, some panko around two tbs. and instead of milk I add one or two tbs of liquid miso http://www.misoandeasy.com/?page_id=2

the sauce is actually from cookpad http://cookpad.com/recipe/1584665 and is pretty close to the sauce a bento store next to my flat used in tokyo. mix in a bowl:
2tbs ketchup
2tbs sake
1tbs Bulldog Sauce
the one with 中濃ソース on the cover
1tbs sugar
1tbs soy sauce

I usually take the buger from the pan and put them in the oven to rest, clean the pan with a paper towel and add the sauce. it's done when it's thick enough for your taste or the alcohol has evaporated.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I didn't take any pictures, but I made this recipe for orange beef the other night and it was great. Next time I'll need to use a little bit more orange zest, as I think I was a bit shy of what the recipe called for, and even then I would like a little more of a citrusy punch.

The next thing I want to tackle is pork belly. I'm not too particular on what to do with it, but I was thinking some kind of braising. Anyone have any recipes they love for this sort of thing?

IThe next thing I want to tackle is pork belly. I'm not too particular on what to do with it, but I was thinking some kind of braising. Anyone have any recipes they love for this sort of thing?
You can do a traditional red-cooking braise (aka xiaoxing rice wine and soy sauce), or you can do a dry roast with ground coriander, fennel seed, szechuan peppercorn, salt, and sugar. I personally roast at 270F for 3 hours then ramp up the heat at the end to brulee the fat.

I GOT THE JOB GUYS

I GOT THE FUCKING JOB OH MY GOD

its been 6 months since I've been on a line since B passed away and I doubted myself going in there but the sous called me and they loved me.

I go in tomorrow to fill out paperwork and discuss my salary AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

giphy.gif

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I GOT THE JOB GUYS

I GOT THE FUCKING JOB OH MY GOD

its been 6 months since I've been on a line since B passed away and I doubted myself going in there but the sous called me and they loved me.

I go in tomorrow to fill out paperwork and discuss my salary AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

giphy.gif
Congratulations! :)

Silkworm

Hi guys, can someone recommend a good oil thermometer?

Muchos Gracias

I really like my Themapen :) But like zbarron said, it depends on your budget ;-)

edit: Whoops. Sorry, I completely overlooked your request for an oil thermometer. But it looks like others have given you good advice and I think the Thermapen is versatile enough to work for that purpose. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
for checking the oil temperature suitable for deep frying, I use a wooden skewer. stick it in the hot oil, when bubbles build around the skewer, the temp is right.

What's your budget and do you currently own any other thermometers? I know you BBQ. Both my instant read and wireless probe work great for deep frying.

I'm wiling to go as high as $100 if it's worth the investment....right now I have a digital meat thermometer but I don't think it's calibrated to go very high.

I really like my Themapen :) But like zbarron said, it depends on your budget ;-)

What's the best bang for your buck?

zbarron

I'm wiling to go as high as $100 if it's worth the investment....right now I have a digital meat thermometer but I don't think it's calibrated to go very high.

What's the best bang for your buck?
Which meat thermometer? The Maverick ET-732 and iGrill2 go up to 572*F. Yours will probably already work without having to spend a penny. Having an instant read is nice though.

I own the Lavatools Javelin for my instant read but fair warning the probe is pretty short so it may not be best for putting your hands that close to hot oil without protection. The Thermopop is a little more expensive but is just as fast and has a longer probe. The Thermapen Mk4 or Classic Thermapen are really nice high end instant read thermometers. All of these choices are very versatile and will help you in BBQing, grilling, deep frying and honestly most other forms of cooking, I use mine a lot when I bake.

These aren't specifically oil/candy thermometers but will tell you the oil temperature in just a few seconds and then can be used to make sure whatever food you're deep frying like a fried chicken has reached the desired internal temperature.

If you want something more specifically made for deep frying I'd recommend The Thermoworks ChefAlarm. Though considering you already have a BBQ probe it seems a little redundant.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great Pics Onkel! I want to go on a food trip to Italy next year myself..

Did you ever eat at 485 Grad in Cologne or Düsseldorf? I believe they have the same oven as the one at Di Matteo and they also serve authentic Napoli style pizza.
The wife and I paid them a visit tonight (Kyffäuser in Cologne), remarkably close and faithful to the original:
IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Which meat thermometer? The Maverick ET-732 and iGrill2 go up to 572*F. Yours will probably already work without having to spend a penny. Having an instant read is nice though.

I own the Lavatools Javelin for my instant read but fair warning the probe is pretty short so it may not be best for putting your hands that close to hot oil without protection. The Thermopop is a little more expensive but is just as fast and has a longer probe. The Thermapen Mk4 or Classic Thermapen are really nice high end instant read thermometers. All of these choices are very versatile and will help you in BBQing, grilling, deep frying and honestly most other forms of cooking, I use mine a lot when I bake.

These aren't specifically oil/candy thermometers but will tell you the oil temperature in just a few seconds and then can be used to make sure whatever food you're deep frying like a fried chicken has reached the desired internal temperature.

If you want something more specifically made for deep frying I'd recommend The Thermoworks ChefAlarm. Though considering you already have a BBQ probe it seems a little redundant.

I have a measupro that I bought from amazon. I bought about last year round this time - works ok but I'm not sure if its suitable for oil....

Well, I went to the other Le Creuset outlet and came away with even more stuff...of course it turns out the one color I want was 35% off the outlet prices, and they sent me a 50% off one item coupon as well...

XaugZNV.jpg

Ended up with 2 Coastal Blue ramekins, 1 9x9 Coastal Blue square baking dish, and a 5.5qt Coastal Blue Dutch Oven.

All of this for less than 200$.

zbarron

I have a measupro that I bought from amazon. I bought about last year round this time - works ok but I'm not sure if its suitable for oil....
From the link
WIDE MEASURING RANGE - Meat thermometer has a wide measuring range of 32°F to 392°F / 0°C to 200°C
You won't want your oil hotter than that. Most often the recipe calls for between 325 and 375 depending on what you're cooking. Your probe might lack a good clip to hold it in place but you could make one by bending a paper clip or far easier making a loose ball of aluminum foil poking the probe through the upper half and pushing the lower half into the pan like this so it molds to the shape of the pan.
img_20161001_1557336rboz.jpg

All of this for less than 200$.
You just love making me jealous don't you? Nice Scrub Daddy by the way.

We use the Thermoworks Chefalarm for pasteurizing out goat milk for cheese, which is a fairly low temp operation where monitoring over time is important. We use a Thermapen for fast high temperature readings--it's specced to 300C/570F.

From the link

You won't want your oil hotter than that. Most often the recipe calls for between 325 and 375 depending on what you're cooking. Your probe might lack a good clip to hold it in place but you could make one by bending a paper clip or far easier making a loose ball of aluminum foil poking the probe through the upper half and pushing the lower half into the pan like this so it molds to the shape of the pan.
img_20161001_1557336rboz.jpg

*snip*

Alright, good to know - I got the thermopen as a backup

Kal

Hey IronGAF! Hoping you could help me out :)

I've baked 4 cheesecakes over the last month and a half; they all turned out great but I've had to bake them for a lot longer than the recipes require, and at a higher temp before it sets (with a slight wobble in the centre). One thing I noticed while making them is that my batter is very runny compared to what I see in the videos (its like pancake batter :| )

I measured everything accurately and I think the issue is with the cream cheese. I live in the UK and the only cream cheese I can get in supermarkets is Philadelphia soft cheese which is very creamy and comes in tubs. It seems different compared to the block cream cheese used in the videos; I guess this is how it is sold in the US? Has anyone else encountered this problem? One of the recipes I used requires you to bake the cheesecake for 15 minutes at 450F then reduce to 200F and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. The first time I tried it the cheesecake did not set after baking for close to two hours and I had to crank the temp up and bake for another 30 minutes before I got it to set with a slight jiggle in the middle.

Its a bit frustrating because I have to sit by the oven and constantly check it to make sure I don't overbake! :)

zbarron

Alright, good to know - I got the thermopen as a backup
Nice. You'll love it. Instant read thermometers help so often in cooking.

I've baked 4 cheesecakes over the last month and a half; they all turned out great but I've had to bake them for a lot longer than the recipes require, and at a higher temp before it sets (with a slight wobble in the centre). One thing I noticed while making them is that my batter is very runny compared to what I see in the videos (its like pancake batter :| )

I measured everything accurately and I think the issue is with the cream cheese. I live in the UK and the only cream cheese I can get in supermarkets is Philadelphia soft cheese which is very creamy and comes in tubs. It seems different compared to the block cream cheese used in the videos; I guess this is how it is sold in the US? Has anyone else encountered this problem? One of the recipes I used requires you to bake the cheesecake for 15 minutes at 450F then reduce to 200F and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. The first time I tried it the cheesecake did not set after baking for close to two hours and I had to crank the temp up and bake for another 30 minutes before I got it to set with a slight jiggle in the middle.

Its a bit frustrating because I have to sit by the oven and constantly check it to make sure I don't overbake! :)
Are you measuring your ingredients by volume or weight? It sounds like you're using whipped cream cheese which has air whipped into it. It makes it easier to spread on a bagel but you get less weight per a given size. If you're measuring by volume try measuring by weight. You'll probably end up adding more cream cheese than you normally do but it should get it to the right consistency.

Kal

Nice. You'll love it. Instant read thermometers help so often in cooking.

Are you measuring your ingredients by volume or weight? It sounds like you're using whipped cream cheese which has air whipped into it. It makes it easier to spread on a bagel but you get less weight per a given size. If you're measuring by volume try measuring by weight. You'll probably end up adding more cream cheese than you normally do but it should get it to the right consistency.

That might be it! Thank you! :)

Can you post the recipe? Also are you using a water bath? How are you weighing your ingredients?

Kal

Can you post the recipe? Also are you using a water bath? How are you weighing your ingredients?

Here's the recipe: http://www.dishinwithdi.com/new-york-cheesecake-recipe/

I don't use a water bath (and I haven't had any cracks). I'm measuring by weight (using an electric scale) and not volume. Hmmm. Other than the cream cheese I'm using I can't think of any other reason why the batter is runny or why it takes so long to bake (I have an oven thermometer so I know its not my oven lol).

That looks delicious peteykirch!

Here's the recipe: http://www.dishinwithdi.com/new-york-cheesecake-recipe/

I don't use a water bath (and I haven't had any cracks). I'm measuring by weight (using an electric scale) and not volume. Hmmm. Other than the cream cheese I'm using I can't think of any other reason why the batter is runny or why it takes so long to bake (I have an oven thermometer so I know its not my oven lol).

That looks delicious peteykirch!

I read about using whipped cream cheese over block cream cheese a while ago out of curiosity for its structure and how it would alter pastries. I'll link you the article. There is no way to change the consistency you are getting simply because of the structure of the cream cheese you are using.

"These differences can be explained by the manufacturing process. Block cream cheese is made by adding a cheese culture to milk and cream, which causes the proteins to coagulate slowly and produces a rich, smooth mass. Whipped cream cheese is coagulated with lactic acid, a process that is quicker (and less expensive). It forms a tight network of small, dense protein particles, which gives the cheese a grainier texture. But because the cheese is whipped, this graininess isn’t very noticeable when eaten as is or when used in uncooked applications like frosting (additives also help it maintain that lighter, spreadable consistency). But when baked, the tight networks will tighten up even more and expel water. Hence, a cheesecake that is grainy and watery. And finally, a test using our pH meter confirmed why the whipped cheese tasted less tangy than the block style: The whipped product has a higher pH, an indicator that it contains less lactic acid, a result of being coagulated much more quickly."

The only other solution for your issue is to make cream cheese at home. It's not that difficult to do but you will need a good bit of milk to do it. There are several recipes you can find online since there are tons of different ways to do it but this one seems super simple considering you dont need a starter for it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I also made some carnitas, but clearly a different style. Four hours of slow and low simmering between the before and after pics.

VHPATfq.jpg

Kal

I read about using whipped cream cheese over block cream cheese a while ago out of curiosity for its structure and how it would alter pastries. I'll link you the article. There is no way to change the consistency you are getting simply because of the structure of the cream cheese you are using.

The only other solution for your issue is to make cream cheese at home. It's not that difficult to do but you will need a good bit of milk to do it. There are several recipes you can find online since there are tons of different ways to do it but this one seems super simple considering you dont need a starter for it.

Wow! That's very informative. Now I feel like all the cheesecakes I made aren't authentic. I'll definitely look into making cream cheese at home - although I would prefer to walk into a supermarket and buy it :p Apparently Philadelphia used to sell block cream cheese in the UK ages ago but no one knows why they stopped; if I had to guess its because cheesecakes are probably the last thing most people use cream cheese for and they tend to prefer a more spreadable soft cheese. Oh well - at least I now know why my batter is runny! Thanks! :)

So how many of us are actually in the service industry?

I know myself, InfiniteBento and Zyzyxxz are professional cooks/chefs, anyone else?

Something I feel is really lacking in the media world is a chef-driven podcast. As in, not dudes who are restauranteurs who get all the glamour; but the line dogs who meet up at the local bar after they close out their kitchens to bitch about their chefs and service. I think something like that would really have an audience....

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm a pastry chef (previous jobs) and bread baker (current job).

Go back and forth constantly about getting out of the industry. The pay is shit and always will be, plus it's physically rough as all get out; pretty much guaranteed arthritis and back problems at a minimum. Main thing stopping me is that this is really the only thing I'm good at, and being almost 40 makes it extremely difficult to switch careers when I don't have a financial fallback because of my career.

Zyzyxxz

I know myself, InfiniteBento and Zyzyxxz are professional cooks/chefs, anyone else?

Something I feel is really lacking in the media world is a chef-driven podcast. As in, not dudes who are restauranteurs who get all the glamour; but the line dogs who meet up at the local bar after they close out their kitchens to bitch about their chefs and service. I think something like that would really have an audience....

My former boss and some good industry friends started a podcast called

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles...ow-is-our-new-favorite-la-food-podcast-080916

Go back and forth constantly about getting out of the industry. The pay is shit and always will be, plus it's physically rough as all get out; pretty much guaranteed arthritis and back problems at a minimum. Main thing stopping me is that this is really the only thing I'm good at, and being almost 40 makes it extremely difficult to switch careers when I don't have a financial fallback because of my career.

Hang in there man its a employees market now. So hard to find good cooks, and honestly think about getting into more corporate stuff if that doesn't bother you. Just keep specializing in what you do and keep looking for consulting opportunities. If I was a linecook these days with my current skills I'd be able to walk into any kitchen and get a job because of how dire the labor market is for restaurants.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hang in there man its a employees market now. So hard to find good cooks, and honestly think about getting into more corporate stuff if that doesn't bother you..

I had a job offer from Amazon/Bon Appetit to deal with their entire Seattle campus and catering company not long ago, but it was graveyard shift for minimum wage, hah. Everything was super stiff and formal, too, which is so off-putting compared to what I'm used to. Benefits were nice and they had an appealing 'transfer anywhere' option, not that it'd be very useful for that money.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I wanted when I was a teenager, but the hours, pay, and the behaviour in a really big kitchen made me say "nah, nah I'm good cooking for my girlfriend"

My cousin is a head chef/owner. He was married to his job first and his wife second. My only stint in the industry was 6 months at qdoba but I didn't do any cooking. Just made the salsas and prepped. I can't really see myself doing this as a profession unless I was doing it for myself.

For now, I do a big cook once a week for a game night. We've had of a dozen guys a time or two and usually around 6-8 people. Once it starts to cool off I start cooking inside again. I make anything cheap and filling, but I never buy junk food. I'll do mini tacos or chicken wings for starters and then a main dish with veggies. At least I can still have fun with it and everyone loves my cooking.

Nikodemos

What sort of dishes can I use pickled green peepercorns in? I bought a jar on a whim some while ago and tried a few the other day. They're quite tasty, hot and with a slightly resiny aroma. Could I use them alongside snails? The old man gave me just under a pound of snail meat and I want to make a stew or something out of it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What sort of dishes can I use pickled green peepercorns in? I bought a jar on a whim some while ago and tried a few the other day. They're quite tasty, hot and with a slightly resiny aroma. Could I use them alongside snails? The old man gave me just under a pound of snail meat and I want to make a stew or something out of it.

They make for a great green pepper sauce to serve with a steak and fries (or snails for that matter, but it'll overpower the snail taste.) . the sauce can be made in the timespan it takes a steak to rest. Or the snails need to crawl from the skillet to the plate or whatever.

you'll need a bit of brandy, Marsala, Sherry, Metaxa, Vodka or Cognac, a pint of cream, the pickled green peppercorns and a bit of salt.

first, lightly crush the peppercorns with the help of a spoon or a knife back. Key is "lightly".

Throw them into the still hot skillet, add the alcohol of choice and let it reduce a bit, then add the cream and a bit of salt to taste. let reduce until desired thickness of the sauce, then put steak/snails/whatever including the juices back into the skillet and serve.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I would put them in a burger sauce or directly on a burger >>..but that's just me..I'll now go and buy pickled green peppercorns because of you.

Bread baking is a hell of a career. I admire the fact that you pursue it. The bakery i worked at prior to my new job focused on bread and watching the bread bakers work was always intense. Its a lot of strain on the body especially if you are the overnight bakers too. While i enjoyed bread baking in school, I definitely can't say im resilient enough to go down that path. If you dont mind me asking, what state are you located in? :)

Have you looked at hotels? That's where the money is, and if you've got a lifetime of pastry and bakery experience you can leverage that for a pretty good supervisor package. Full benefits and 2x the pay of a normal line cook are perks for hotel life.

It's gonna suck when I bounce from the hotel to go back to Japanese food (in all likelihood). :\

Top Bottom