• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^-- Looks comforting and delicious. That's weird that you can't eat that much rice or bread. If it was just bread, I was gonna say gluten allergy, but rice too?

Noshino

nakedsushi said:
^-- Looks comforting and delicious. That's weird that you can't eat that much rice or bread. If it was just bread, I was gonna say gluten allergy, but rice too?

Some people find it heavy...

CrystalGemini, that looks delicious, as for rice replacement, sometimes I use pasta, but I heard that a closer replacement is steamed millet, although I haven't really tried it ;(

Doytch

a59mc5.png

Hope you guys don't mind that these aren't my recipes. I'm a total noob and learning.

Anyway, that's cucumbers, avocado, walnuts, dill and tofu I fried up. Lemon juice and olive oil dressing over the brown rice.

Now, any ideas for subs for the tofu? It seemed like a useless member of the meal since it didn't have much taste. I think it'd would go well with chicken instead of tofu, but I can't eat chicken; I get stomach aches which aren't excruciating, but annoying nonetheless. Maybe some kind of fish? Shrimp? Or tips for making tofu have more taste?

Zyzyxxz

Doytch said:
a59mc5.png

Hope you guys don't mind that these aren't my recipes. I'm a total noob and learning.

Anyway, that's cucumbers, avocado, walnuts, dill and tofu I fried up. Lemon juice and olive oil dressing over the brown rice.

Now, any ideas for subs for the tofu? It seemed like a useless member of the meal since it didn't have much taste. I think it'd would go well with chicken instead of tofu, but I can't eat chicken; I get stomach aches which aren't excruciating, but annoying nonetheless. Maybe some kind of fish? Shrimp? Or tips for making tofu have more taste?

Most of us base our own recipes off some former recipe so we aren't all true innovators here so no worries. Seeing as you went with cucumbers and dill you could have tried a Middle Eastern style sauce by mixing the cooked ingredients into Greek yogurt and paprika and serve.

Tofu preferably for me needs to go with a sauce because it will take on the flavor well. If you've ever had Mabo Tofu from Chinese restaurants then you get the idea and if not then go try it its good!

maladoufuwv3.jpg

A good sauce for tofu that I would start off with is a mixture of 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, a little bit of black bean sauce, and some chinese chili paste/sauce and adjust to taste.

Natetan

Doytch said:
a59mc5.png

wow that sounds really good. i can see where tofu might go very well with that dish though. the flavourings you used are nice but maybe dont mesh well with what tofu is. Seitan might work well with that (or could be equally strange tasting, hard to tell without trying)

But I do like tofu a lot. I make a nice kimchee chahan that uses tofu. Looks a little like this when its all finished (Mabo tofu is also a favourite of mine)

02012-s.jpg

Noshino said:
Some people find it heavy...

CrystalGemini, that looks delicious, as for rice replacement, sometimes I use pasta, but I heard that a closer replacement is steamed millet, although I haven't really tried it ;(

Same for pastas/noodles too... Something about it just sits in my stomach like a brick and makes me nauseous. Though there's this place in Oakland Chinatown that makes their wonton noodles a certain way and I'm totally ok eating that.

Not that I don't eat rice, bread or pasta. I just can't have too much. My diet is generally made up of mostly meats, fish, vegetables and fruits which really isn't a problem for me. XD I usually have no problem not eating those things for weeks at a time.

Zyzyxxz said:
Most of us base our own recipes off some former recipe so we aren't all true innovators here so no worries. Seeing as you went with cucumbers and dill you could have tried a Middle Eastern style sauce by mixing the cooked ingredients into Greek yogurt and paprika and serve.

Tofu preferably for me needs to go with a sauce because it will take on the flavor well. If you've ever had Mabo Tofu from Chinese restaurants then you get the idea and if not then go try it its good!

A good sauce for tofu that I would start off with is a mixture of 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, a little bit of black bean sauce, and some chinese chili paste/sauce and adjust to taste.

OH that looks good! Never made mabo tofu from scratch before - always use the packages. :/ That doesn't sound difficult at all too...makes you wonder why we even need the pre-made stuff to begin with. :lol

Thanks for the recipe!

I actually quite like the taste of plain tofu. It shouldn't taste too strongly of soy, or else it's old/stale. Maybe buy fresher tofu? I also notice that soft and silken tofu has a milder taste than firm and extra firm tofu, so buy accordingly.

A good trick with tofu (medium firm to extra firm) is to cut it into cubes and then freeze it. When you want to cook with it, defrost it. It has a completely different texture, kinda like a sponge or fried tofu without the fried crust. If you crumble it up, it's great in soups and stews.

I also like to crumble up post-frozen tofu and stir frying it with some cumin, curry powder, and greens (like kale or spinach), and enough broth so it's not to dry for a quick tofu scramble.

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, looks great as always! I'm no friend of natto, though.

Hm, is it the slime or the taste that you don't like. I kinda like the slime, but if you can't deal with it, you can try cooking it in things like scrambled eggs, fried rice, or even pasta. Once cooked, natto isn't that slimy.

As for the taste...that's tougher. I bought the dark-brown/black natto this time and it does taste milder than the regular kind. Maybe add more hot mustard?

bovo

OnkelC said:
bovo, really fine Linzertorte, the bottom seems a bit thick. Have you tried the technique of blind-baking the dough first?

I maybe could have rolled the dough a bit thinner, but it's more of a cake than a pastry, so I'm not sure blind baking would be suitable (or necessary, but I don't know, I'm not (very) Austrian :lol )

Natetan

nakedsushi said:
Hm, is it the slime or the taste that you don't like. I kinda like the slime, but if you can't deal with it, you can try cooking it in things like scrambled eggs, fried rice, or even pasta. Once cooked, natto isn't that slimy.

As for the taste...that's tougher. I bought the dark-brown/black natto this time and it does taste milder than the regular kind. Maybe add more hot mustard?

yeah, kuromame natto was my gateway drug to regular natto. I used to make it in pasta sauce with gorgonzola of all things. now thats an acquired taste i think.

i saw a great recipe series on NHK yesterday where they were giving ideas about how to use Mulukhiyya, a similarly slimey food of egyptian origin that is strangely popular here, and one of the recipies was the one below with natto. looked really good!

http://www.nhk.or.jp/partner/beginners/recipe/090706.html

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
nakedsushi said:
A good trick with tofu (medium firm to extra firm) is to cut it into cubes and then freeze it. When you want to cook with it, defrost it. It has a completely different texture, kinda like a sponge or fried tofu without the fried crust.

This sounds like a great tip, and one that I'll be trying soon. I've just started adding tofu into my vegetarian diet and haven't been overly thrilled with it so far, although not (entirely) because of the texture issues a lot of people have with it. I like to be able to taste things that are in dishes I make, and tofu is coming off as more of an indistinguishable mass than an actual ingredient.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great Dishes, everyone! Thanks for sharing and more of it, please!

nakedsushi said:

It's the combination of smell, texture and taste that turns me off a bit. tried it two times and was literally appalled by it :(

Lets have a cook along.

Someone chooses an ingredient (alla IronChef) and then on a set weekend everyone cooks a dish featuring it. Then we get heaps of ideas from what other people do and have a bit of fun.

Koodo

Banned
For now, given my skills, it's unlikely that I'll be a part of this group. However, I frequently lurk this thread, and I just want to applaud all of those that do contribute. I really admire good cooks. :)

Now I'm hungry

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Brianemone said:
Lets have a cook along.

Someone chooses an ingredient (alla IronChef) and then on a set weekend everyone cooks a dish featuring it. Then we get heaps of ideas from what other people do and have a bit of fun.

OK, let the first ingredient be:

Eggs.

prep pics are a bonus.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
OK, let the first ingredient be:

Eggs.

prep pics are a bonus.

OMG I LOVE EGGS!!!!!!!

But seriously if you hate eggs then you must hate life.. unless you are allergic.

I just might end up doing more than one dish.

E-phonk

Banned
I don't post here often, so I decided to put some things together:

Paella we made last week
5700_1204755561370_1303060327_30590218_4602778_n.jpg

Ribs with beans and tomatoes
5166_1191757196419_1303060327_30539227_2613605_n.jpg

Pasta with tomatosaus, ricotta cheese, mushrooms, and padanocheese
n1303060327_30284054_1301.jpg

Lamb with beans, salad, paprikas and fresh salade.
n1303060327_30256887_7747.jpg

Lasagna with spinache, tomatoes, mozarella, goat cheese and mushrooms
n1303060327_30250493_8678.jpg

n1303060327_30250492_8335.jpg

Pasta with fresh pesto, fresh basilicum, parmezaan, dried tomatoes, little onions and black olives
n1303060327_30240863_390.jpg

tirminyl

Koodo said:
For now, given my skills, it's unlikely that I'll be a part of this group. However, I frequently lurk this thread, and I just want to applaud all of those that do contribute. I really admire good cooks. :)

Now I'm hungry

That is the thing about cooking, it's fun! I can cook, but I can't COOK or plate like what I have seen in this thread but there isn't anything more fun than trying and rewarding yourself by eating :lol

Allez cuisine!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
E-phonk said:
I don't post here often, so I decided to put some things together:

Paella we made last week
5700_1204755561370_1303060327_30590218_4602778_n.jpg

Oh nommm. I've always wanted to do a big outdoor paella like this! Also, this picture is great if you pretend that the perspective isn't an issue and the pan really is the size of an entire person. PAELLA HOT TUB.

Chicken Chow Mein I had for lunch;

Photo0493.jpg

Really nice fry-up I just had consisting of Pork & Bramley Apple sausages, dry cured back bacon, thin cut smoked bacon, beans & homemade chips done in black pepper butter;

Photo0497.jpg

Zyzyxxz

recently bought some plants as I'm trying to start my own herb garden since I'm tired of buying herbs and using only some of it just to let the rest go bad

So far I got basil and parsley and I'm probably gonna plant some chives, what else should I probably get thats easy to grow?

Basil
3755043197_1949d185cc_o.jpg

Parsley
3755043777_f3940b2f38_o.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oregano, chives (and garlic chives!) and mint are some other basics that are very easy to grow, Zyz. I've done lemon thyme before, too, and that's very yummy... Less herb than a full-on plant, but you could probably even do lemongrass where you are.

Rosemary, Parsley, Mint, Basil, Thyme, Chives, Oregano, Coriander (cilantro?) Tarragon, and Chervil are what I usually try and have growing.

My Tarragon died last week and last night we had steak for dinner and I couldn't find any at the store to make a Bernaise sauce. Dissapointing.

Random question: Can you cook bacon, frozen or refrigerated, pork or turkey, within a standard little oven at 350 degrees for 2-3 min and expect it to be done/not toxic? I know it works fine with pepperoni in the same conditions with my gyro pizzas but....?

Brianemone said:
My Tarragon died last week and last night we had steak for dinner...

For a brief moment of insanity, I read that in the form of you having a pet cow with a badass sounding name like Tarragon that died then became dinner!

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
Oregano, chives (and garlic chives!) and mint are some other basics that are very easy to grow, Zyz. I've done lemon thyme before, too, and that's very yummy... Less herb than a full-on plant, but you could probably even do lemongrass where you are.

thanks for the suggestions.

I already got lemongrass covered though since my grandmother grows plenty of it. I figured I might as well make use of my farming roots since both of my descended houses are from farming roots.

Doytch

vfa1r8.jpg

A "lasagna" pie. Two layers each of ricotta, zucchini and a sauce with spices and crushed tomatoes. I realised when I got home from the store today that I'd boughten "crushed tomatoes in puree", so I immediately thought that the consistency would be off. I think it was thinner than it's supposed to be, which made cutting and plating it an adventure, but presentation only matters when you're serving others right?

I also shortcutted on the pie crust, which I bought since I wanted to have it for lunch and figured it'd take too long.

But that said, I liked it. I'll try it again with the second pie crust from the package sometime, with a different brand of crushed tomatoes. And if I'm serving someone else, I'll cut back on the red pepper flakes. :lol

Just had my egg dish, too. It's gonna get so humbled by everyone else. I couldn't come up with anything interesting.

vesp

ElectricThunder said:
Random question: Can you cook bacon, frozen or refrigerated, pork or turkey, within a standard little oven at 350 degrees for 2-3 min and expect it to be done/not toxic? I know it works fine with pepperoni in the same conditions with my gyro pizzas but....?

For a brief moment of insanity, I read that in the form of you having a pet cow with a badass sounding name like Tarragon that died then became dinner!

You should precook it (even if you then refrigerate it until later).

Here's one take on eggs. (a little healthier than Hollandaise and Bacon)

Cook the lentils in water and chicken stock.
p1030890-thumb.jpg

I used 3/4 cup of Lentils and 2 Cups of liquid, don't add salt to the water until the lentils are cooked. Simple Vinaigrette is 1:3 Vinegar to Oil plus Dijon Mustard Salt and Pepper.

p1030891.jpg

p1030893.jpg

Drain the lentils and throw in some cubes of Feta and a drizzle of vinaigrette, season.

p1030901.jpg

Poach your egg, dress the salad with some of the vinaigrette and take out the tomatoes from the oven (2-3 hours @ 130 Celsius).
http://www.foodology.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/p1030906.jpg

Throw it all on a plate and eat.
p1030912.jpg

p1030908.jpg

I didn't cause I forgot but I would also drizzle the viniagrette over once platted to give a nice gloss and more flavour.

Zyzyxxz said:
Most of us base our own recipes off some former recipe so we aren't all true innovators here so no worries. Seeing as you went with cucumbers and dill you could have tried a Middle Eastern style sauce by mixing the cooked ingredients into Greek yogurt and paprika and serve..
Just wondering Z. The foods you cook, are they healthy? I eat a lot of asian food but have been watching what I'm eating recently and instead of ordering in every once in a while like I used to, I cook my own food.

The dishes you post look absolutely amazing and I don't think it'd be bad since I exercise a lot. But you use a decent amount of oil no?

Cosmic Bus said:
I said "goddamn." That's gorgeous. The egg dish I made was pretty basic!

Look forward to seeing it. This one looks a little fancy but if you strip away the micro herbs it's a really easy dish to make.

Zyzyxxz

CrushDance said:
Just wondering Z. The foods you cook, are they healthy? I eat a lot of asian food but have been watching what I'm eating recently and instead of ordering in every once in a while like I used to, I cook my own food.

The dishes you post look absolutely amazing and I don't think it'd be bad since I exercise a lot. But you use a decent amount of oil no?

depends, I try not to use too much oil and these days if I need to use alot its gonna be olive oil.

I cook many different varieties of foods and I try not to restrict myself to any one culture. When it comes to Asian foods I typically stir fry, make curry, or steam/boil so I suppose not that much oil goes into my food.

I'm no health nut but my main concern is ingredient quality while health benefits are second. Although I am trying to cook and eat better these days so my past dishes are probably gonna seem unhealthier than now.

Also Brianemone that egg dish is phenomenal! I've got to try it myself sometime. Alright I gotta get my egg dish in.

The curry thread inspired me to try to put together a curry with whatever I had in the fridge.

This is all to taste. I didn't measure anything. It came out very much to my liking, or I wouldn't post the recipe. Also I don't know if this fits people's definition of "curry," but it tasted like curry to me. Sorry for crap cell phone pics.

Spices & herbs:
Tumeric powder
fennel seeds
celery seeds
jamaican allspice
cumin
cayenne pepper
Garlic (fresh)
Ginger (fresh)
Thai chili pepper (fresh)

Vegetables:
Potatoes (red & white)
Beans (fresh)
Onion
carrots
Cauliflower
spinach (fresh)
Green onions
Cherry tomatoes

Chicken broth, some high heat oil like olive or peanut

Start onions, ginger and garlic in a hot oiled pot
Add tumeric, fennel seeds, celery seeds, jamaican allspice, cumin, cayenne pepper, thai chili peppers including seeds
Add beans, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower.
Add chicken broth to about halfway up pot
Add rest of vegetables that don't need as long to cook
Turn down to simmer. Cook while occasionally stirring till the broth kinda thickens and everything tender. Serve over rice.

Image044.jpg

Image045.jpg

sarcastor

marinate shrimps in some garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil. saute them on medium heat until cook. set aside. saute asparagus on medium over olive oil for 3-4 minutes. add slice portabello mushrooms. when the mushrooms are cook, throw in some pasta and add chopped brie cheese. put on plate, throw on the shrimp and garnish with the brie skin and parsley.

6zvrd1.jpg

206kd9g.jpg

Zoe said:
Mmmm... mind elaborating on that? :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16204280&postcount=5005

My own concoction...though use 350 for the temp not 325...blasted dials confounded my memory! Also, if you dust up pepperoni with grated parmesan or romano cheese you won't really have to deal with any oil pooling issues and it will look cooler. Had another round of them last night actually, though my experiment of of assembling it backwards with sauce on top, then pepperoni, then cheese didn't quite work despite it looking cool due to too thick a cheese distro in the middle and/or it needing a bit more time than 3-4 min to melt that like it did all the surrounding cheese. However, last weeks experiment where I mixed the sauce and cheese by hand as one entity then topped with pepperoni DID work out pretty well.

I tend to vanish into a haze here in IronGAF due to no pic capabilities on top of not knowing how to cook! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom