• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Onkel, have you heard of the documentary "Cooking History" ? Heard about it on NPR, sounded really interesting.

http://www.akosavariadejiny.sk/

A documentary film about army cooks and how the everyday needs of thousands of armed stomachs affect the victories and defeats of statesmen. About the field kitchen as a model of a world where food preparation becomes a fight strategy; a fight for great ideals standing on strong legs of the kitchen table.
The film is based on eleven recipes of the cooks since the Second World War till the war in Tchechenia; from France through the Balkans to Russia.

Kunan

OnkelC said:
smallP1020572.jpg
Sweet jeebus, where have I been and why I haven't I opened this thread before!!

Tried my hand and roti and got creative with a hummus-inspired bean dip. Dip is chickpeas, onions, garlic, turmeric, paprika, ginger and chicken broth.
5773_599603672878_60710639_34808391_1122102_n.jpg

^ Nice looking chickpea curry! The roti looks good too. Can you post a recipe? Looks tasty!

3719083243_f3418d929c.jpg

I made some partially whole-wheat bread with the BF this weekend with our sourdough starter. I don't think I can go back to store-bought bread anymore.

Kal

Zyzyxxz said:
brining is very easy and simple.

I dunno what turkey should use but for pork chops I typically use a good amount of salt and sugar then a few bay leaves and a few spoons of soy sauce.

I think if you just stick to salt and sugar it should work.

Thanks for the advice. :) I used salt, sugar, a bit of curry, thyme, chicken stock and a lot of chilli (we eat a lot of spice at home) I soaked it for 9 hours and I still basted them with chilli paste before I put them in the oven :lol The end result? Perfection!!! The best turkey I've ever had!!! I got compliments the whole night..... the meat had so much flavour and it was sooo moist and juicy....

I don't think I can ever roast turkey without brining first :lol

Thank you!!!

nakedsushi said:
^ Nice looking chickpea curry! The roti looks good too. Can you post a recipe? Looks tasty!QUOTE]

hahah I actually took process pictures earlier but was too lazy to post them. XD

Here it is.

Ingredients
Chickpea Dip
5 strips of bacon
1 onion, diced
about 1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
about 1 tsp turmeric
about 1/2 tsp ground ginger
about 1 tsp paprika
1 to 1-1/2 c chicken broth

Roti (8 roti)
1 c flour + a bit more for rolling dough
a little less than 1/2 c lukewarm water
about 1/8-1/4 tsp of salt
butter

1. I crisped some bacon and used the drippings in the chickpea dip but you can subsitute with whatever oil. I use the bacon bits to top soup and salads and such so I like to kill two birds with one stone. :D I used strips of thick bacon, diced, fried them, scooped it out of the pot, then set aside for whatever recipe.
5773_599603632958_60710639_34808383_7763572_n.jpg

2. Dice the onions, mince the garlic, and drain the chickpeas. Throw them all in the pot with the bacon drippings and sautee for about 10 minutes.
5773_599603637948_60710639_34808384_5671282_n.jpg

3. Throw in seasonings and stir.
5773_599603642938_60710639_34808385_7400266_n.jpg

4. Add broth until peas are covered and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for about an hour or until chickpeas are soft.
5773_599603652918_60710639_34808387_1107194_n.jpg

5. In the meantime, make the roti. Mix the flour, salt and water together then separate into 8 balls and roll out. Then fry over medium-high heat and brush with melted butter.
5773_599603657908_60710639_34808388_1979823_n.jpg

6. You know when the chickpeas are done when they are easy to press down with a fork. Which is exactly what you'll be doing next! Mash all the chickpeas with a fork.
5773_599603667888_60710639_34808390_7301763_n.jpg

7. Serve with hot sauce and parsley/cilantro if you like. Personally hate cilantro though I love the other two. I find it adds a little kick. I used Louisiana hot sauce here.
5773_599603677868_60710639_34808392_4640738_n.jpg

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
CrystalGemini said:
nakedsushi said:
^ Nice looking chickpea curry! The roti looks good too. Can you post a recipe? Looks tasty!QUOTE]

hahah I actually took process pictures earlier but was too lazy to post them. XD

Here it is.

Ingredients
Chickpea Dip
5 strips of bacon
1 onion, diced
about 1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
about 1 tsp turmeric
about 1/2 tsp ground ginger
about 1 tsp paprika
1 to 1-1/2 c chicken broth

Chickpea dip?!? Looks more like chickpea curry to me, in any case, good job.

Capslock said:
Chickpea dip?!? Looks more like chickpea curry to me, in any case, good job.

Thanks! Yeah... wasn't too sure what to name it. Started out wanting to make a more flavorful hummus. I use it as more of a snack item or appetizer than a meal. I peel off bits of the roti to scoop the chickpeas which is why I decided to call it a "dip".

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:
7. Serve with hot sauce and parsley/cilantro if you like. Personally hate cilantro though I love the other two. I find it adds a little kick. I used Louisiana hot sauce here.
5773_599603677868_60710639_34808392_4640738_n.jpg

hot sauce? :lol

I found it strange how you went all Indian/Middle Eastern on us and then add the Louisiana hot sauce.

Nothing wrong with that, I thought it was ketchup on first sight though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
CrystalGemini, thanks for the great preparation pics!

nakedsushi, good to see that the bread-making turned out so well, looks about pro-level already. Keep going and share the next result, please!

Brianemone, is that a cocoa or a hot chocolate?

Zyzyxxz said:
hot sauce? :lol

I found it strange how you went all Indian/Middle Eastern on us and then add the Louisiana hot sauce.

Nothing wrong with that, I thought it was ketchup on first sight though.

It's so good like that! :lol I usually have unconventional ways of eathing things. Don't even get me started with Oreos. Oy.

crpearsoup.jpg

3x Large Celery Root
5x Shallots
1/2 A Heads worth of Garlic Cloves
1 cup Dry Sherry
3x Cups Whole Milk (or Whipping Cream for Decadence)
1x Tsp Dried Thyme
1x Tsp Dried Marjoram
Celery Salt
White Pepper
2x Tbs Butter
2x Comice Pears
1/3 Cup Olive oil
1/3 Cup Balsalmic Vinegar
Muscovado Sugar
Black Pepper
Curry Powder

Soup
1. Cut Celery Root into very small cubes, boil in 3 cups of water (or use pressure cooker if available).
2. In a large pot mix chopped butter, shallots, and garlic, simmer and when shallots are firm but translucent add sherry. Add Thyme, Marjoram, and Salt/Pepper to Taste.Reduce.
3. Strain Celery Root over pot with base mixture to save the water.
4. Add the Celery Root to a blender in batches, mixing with equal part base and puree.
5. Add milk and simmer till throughly mixed. Consistancy should be creamy and not pudding/baby food like.

Pears
1. Use a mandoline to cut Pears into 1/8 inch slices. Be sure to core pear and quarter slices afterwards.
2. Simmer pears over medium heat in Olive oil. Add in balsalmic and start adding sugar, curry, and black pepper to taste. You want to be able to strongly taste the each individual spice aspect while having a distinct aftertaste of pear. They should have a serious amount of peppery spiceyness, an earthiness of curry, and a sweet mollasses coating of sugar. The pear flavor is strong, don't worry about going to town on spice.
3. Cook pears till they are soft/limp with a touch of pear graininess.

Put the soup in a bowl and top with pears. Eat.

jarosh

OnkelC said:
slidewinder, looking good! thanks for sharing. reminds me of making mac and cheese again sometime in the future. tonight will be Schnitzel, though.

jarosh, how did the pizza dough turn out?

keep sharing, people!
waaaaay late, i'm sorry...

the pizza turned out really well! shame i didn't get to take any pictures. we had people over though and i just didn't think of it in time. two things i'll try to improve next time: baking only one pizza at a time, better flour (tipo '00' if i can find it)

Exhumed

Just got my account active and I want to just say I am a huge fan of this thread and the previous Home Cooking threads Onkel has done.

Amazing work to everyone who has posted, I have made quite a few of these as a lurker and have delighted not only myself but friends/family. Keep up the good work!

I will definitely have to contribute one of these nights. Grocery time will be coming up in the next few weeks!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Exhumed said:
Just got my account active and I want to just say I am a huge fan of this thread and the previous Home Cooking threads Onkel has done.

Amazing work to everyone who has posted, I have made quite a few of these as a lurker and have delighted not only myself but friends/family. Keep up the good work!

I will definitely have to contribute one of these nights. Grocery time will be coming up in the next few weeks!
Thanks and welcome to ze cooking experience. Looking forward to seeing some of your dishes.

Noshino

OnkelC said:
Thanks and welcome to ze cooking experience. Looking forward to seeing some of your dishes.

OnkelC, Im also a new member, and I was wondering whether you would see it fit to put recipes that use ingredients that are somewhat hard to find. Im peruvian, and I would love to post some recipes here, but I don't know if some people will find it of bad taste to use uncommon (at least for non peruvians @_@ ) ingredients

If so, I ll just focus on more common recipes :)

Shawsie64

Banned
Noshino said:
OnkelC, Im also a new member, and I was wondering whether you would see it fit to put recipes that use ingredients that are somewhat hard to find. Im peruvian, and I would love to post some recipes here, but I don't know if some people will find it of bad taste to use uncommon (at least for non peruvians @_@ ) ingredients

I think most people here would love to see some exotic recipes, I know I would :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Noshino said:

Hi and welcome to you too!

It would be very interesting to see dishes with rather uncommon ingredients, no objections here.
If possible, please post a suggestion for a substitute ingredient, e.g. "japanese Sake can be replaced with a dry sherry" or something along the line.

Feel free to post as you wish (that goes for each and every contribution, of course!).

Noshino said:

YES.

Xabora

Zyzyxxz said:
what did you use to keep it together?

When I imagine crab burgers I think of easily flaked and broken patties falling into the grill.
I used a pre-beaten egg and some mayo to hold it together.
Needs to stay in the fridge for about 20min to gain consistancy once molded into a patty.

CrystalGemini said:
Are they anything like crab cakes? Did you grill, bake or fry?
The recipe I used called for grilling, but that was being used by the Beef Burgers so I decided to skillet fry them.

Guess I can post this. :lol
374208700_f6c033c438_o.jpg

CrystalGemini said:
There's a fish and chips place in Sacramento that sells crabbie patties. It's just a deep fried crab cake though. :(
I was disappointed. :(

What's disappointing than a deep fried crab cake? Sounds good to me! Unless it was made from imitation crab X_X

Noshino

Seco de Carne (Peruvian Beef Stew)

This dish is easy to make, and the ingredients are easy to find as well.
Now, you might find different variations of it, that's because it is
prepared differently in different regions, not only that, but also because
the recipe changes at times depending on what you are planning to serve it
with.

This time I made Beef Stew with beans, here are the ingredients for this
one:

STEW:
1 lb beef
1 tb garlic (smashed or powder is fine)
1 medium onion (Red or white, I prefer red, but I only had white ones)
3oz Spinach
Cilantro (use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the regular portion sold)
P1050664.jpg

1 cup water
Pepper & Cumin, just a pinch
Salt

P1050659-1.jpg

Beans:
1 lb bag of beans (I prefer Canary, but I recommend white as a substitute)
Olive oil
Oregano, just a pinch (You'll thank me later)
Salt

First, blend the spinach, cilantro, and about 3/4 of a cup of water.

P1050666.jpg

Put onion to cook at high with just a bit of oil

P1050668.jpg

you don't need much oil as we just need it to help give the onion some color

P1050669.jpg

then add the garlic, stir for about a minute or so, be careful because the garlic burns quick.

After that, add the beef, stir once again for a few minutes, once again,
leave it there til it has gotten some color, it should be within 2 to 3
minutes, lower the temperature to medium.

P1050672.jpg

Once the beef is ready, add the contents of the blender to the pot, use the
other 1/4 cup of water to help remove what is left on the blender, then add
the salt, pepper, and cumin, stir for a minute or two.

P1050674.jpg

You'll see that at first it has a bright green color but after a few minutes it will get
darker. Depending on how big are the beef pieces, it should be done within
20 or so minutes.

P1050690.jpg

Beans:

As for the beans, I recommend leaving them in a pot with water the day
before, but if you forgot, then its ok if you do so at the beginning of
cooking.

P1050661.jpg

Get rid of the water and put them in a pot at high temperature with water at
least 1 finger above the level.

Once the water is boiling, add a bit of salt. Be careful with the beans,
keep checking on them to make sure that it has water at least covering
them. Btw, beans take a while to cook, hence why I usually use the pressure
pot to prepare them. Once they are soft, add the oregano (it helps prevent
stomach aches), the olive oil, and make sure that it has enough salt.

TIP: if you guys don't have time, after 30 mins or so of cooking, you can
also squeeze them gently to soften them a bit

P1050683.jpg

within 5 to 10 mins of doing so they should be ready.

P1050684.jpg

Serve with rice.

P1050689.jpg

Now, to get a better flavour, if available, one can use clay pots to cook
the beef, beans, and rice. Also, to cook the beans, sometimes we use pork
skin, some people like to eat, personally, I don't, but I do use it because
it adds a distinctive flavour. If you are not into beans, you can serve it
with potato, just add it to the pot with the beef, it'll cook alongside it. Unfortunately I had forgotten to go the store so I didn't have many of these.

Hopefully you guys enjoy it :)

Exhumed

ShallNoiseUpon said:
Can't wait to start participating in this thread, has always been one of my favorites to read (except before lunch time it gets agonizing.)

I don't think you can get anymore accurate than this.

Coming soon,
and by soon i mean maybe in a few weeks
, from Exhumed: Spicy Parmesan Alfredo Lasagna

Noshino said:

That green sauce/stew looks almost like chimichurri sauce. Sounds good!

Edit: OMG, is that the magic bullet you're blending it in? How do you like it? I always see infomercials of it on TV and it looks AMAZING.

Noshino

nakedsushi said:
That green sauce/stew looks almost like chimichurri sauce. Sounds good!

Edit: OMG, is that the magic bullet you're blending it in? How do you like it? I always see infomercials of it on TV and it looks AMAZING.

haha, yah, my brother bought it, most of the time I use the blender, but the magic bullet is alright, it certainly is easier to clean/setup. Maybe Im just too used to the blender.

Big B

Backstory: I've never cooked anything other than rice, water, or watery rice in my life but I was by myself for a few days so I had to cook something:

4i0mja.jpg

e01qux.jpg

I learned enough watching other people cook and this turned out really well. Tofu has like no taste by itself so I had to season the crap out of the tomatos and onions. Not bad for a college student who can't cook, eh?

Also, love this thread and people's cooking creations!

Abubakr

Neo Member
I'm hoping to learn to cook soon. I'm only 15 years old right now so I don't really cook. Maybe boil noodles, fry chips/fish.. :p

You guys are really good at this.

Zyzyxxz

ok another BBQ today since we had family leaving, I really wanted to make some spareribs but nobody had a good price today and for the exact size I wanted.

So I decided to make the Mexican inspired carnitas. I followed the recipe that Cornballer provided to me many months ago, props to him!

3731598678_85fd23840a_o.jpg

3731598980_805d8bf7d2_o.jpg

3730803129_e7ed99b674_o.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Noshino, welcome to IronGAF and a big thank you for the wonderful first contribution. It's good to see that the old-school "Prep pics" have come back, big extra props for your effort here.

I just wonder why to add the spinach so early in the cooking process, wouldn't it lose a lot of its flavor that way? Looking forward to seeing future conributions of you!

BigB, thanks you as well, mind sharing the recipe?

Zyzyxxz, great looking carnitas!

Abubakr, just try it! I started catering tourists at the age of 13, so no need to hold back. Just tell your parents that you want to learn to cook, I am sure they will help you with pride. PRO TIP: If possible, also ask your grandparents, I learned way more from my grannies in terms of recipes and tricks than from my parents. Don't be discouraged from initial failures, they happen to everybody. only practice makes perfect.

keep sharing, people

Noshino

OnkelC said:
I just wonder why to add the spinach so early in the cooking process, wouldn't it lose a lot of its flavor that way? Looking forward to seeing future conributions of you!

Thanks!

Good question, the spinach isn't really added that early, its added once the beef has cooked for a bit. Yes, a bit of flavour is sacrificed, but that's because you need the beef to cook well with it to absorb most of the flavour. Its pretty much a balance between spinach flavour that you are losing and the flavour that the beef absorbs. This time around I used thin slices of beef, hence why I put it that early.

Hopefully next week I get enough time to cook and take pictures, but for sure, in 2 weeks my family is having one of those big gettogethers, so I ll post the pictures of all of the dishes (and hopefully get the how-to's as well)

Tf53

Regarding Magic Bullet, I wouldn't recommend it for most stuff. The two cutting blades are way too small for any practical purposes, and instead of chopped up stuff you end up with either mush or large chunks or a combination of these two. I've been looking for a manually operated alternative to get more control over the end result, but haven't found it yet.

Big B

Here's the recipe for that tofu stew..thing.

Ingredients:
1 tomato, sliced thinly
1/2 white onion, also sliced the same way
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
black rice vinegar, add until you like the amount!
However much regular soysauce you want
1 box of tofu, cut into blocks

1. stirfry the onion for 5 minutes, add tomatoes and garlic.
2. add the vinegar and soysauce, cook for 5 more minutes.
3. add tofu blocks and some water to so that all the tofu are in the soup.
4. stew for 8 to 10 minutes. Tofu becomes easily cooked.
5. Salt & (white) pepper that thing.

ta-dah!

Here we go.

The Players

DSC_0127.jpg

Onions and Garlic chopped up

DSC_0129.jpg

Toasting the spices

DSC_0130.jpg

Cookin' up the onion and garlic

DSC_0131.jpg

Onion, Garlic, spices, yogurt, coconut milk and chicken mixing and mingling and getting delicious

DSC_0132.jpg

ALL DONE!
DSC_0135.jpg

Served it on a bed of jasmine rice infused with some ginger and lemon. It was awesome. House STILL smells great.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
BigB, thanks for the recipe, sounds like a fine summer dish.

ShallNoiseUpon, great contribution, thank you for that! Toasting pre-ground spices is a good way to enhance their flavors or to revitalise older stuff a bit.

Keep it coming, peole, the recent batch of juniors seems to be culinary interesting so far. Don't be shy!

Exhumed, looking forward to seeing the Lasagna Alfredo btw.

SRG01

Noshino said:
haha, yah, my brother bought it, most of the time I use the blender, but the magic bullet is alright, it certainly is easier to clean/setup. Maybe Im just too used to the blender.

My friend bought a magic bullet, and now she can't stop using it. :lol It's definitely a great kitchen item since it's so versatile.

Esch

Banned
Hey can you guys recommend me a hot sauce? Something legitimately hot(think at the same level or preferably above Sriracha) but with a nice flavor?

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used a little less)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon grated, fresh ginger (I used a little bit more)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili power
salt to taste
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup PLAIN yogurt (once accidentally got vanilla yogurt, it did not end well)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1) Put all spices in dry pan, toast until fragrant and aromatic. Be sure not to burn them.
2) Put toasted spices aside (in a bowl or something) and wipe out the pan.
3) Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat, saute onion until lightly browned
4) Add garlic, spices, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes
5) Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt and coconut milk.
6) Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutues
7)Remove bay leaf (very important, bay leaf is disgusting if you eat it) and stir in lemon juice
8) Simmer 5 more minutes.
9) Serve on rice, or side of your choice.

Noshino

Tf53 said:
Regarding Magic Bullet, I wouldn't recommend it for most stuff. The two cutting blades are way too small for any practical purposes, and instead of chopped up stuff you end up with either mush or large chunks or a combination of these two. I've been looking for a manually operated alternative to get more control over the end result, but haven't found it yet.

well, actually yes and no.

There are 2 blades avialable, one with only 2 arms, and the other one with 4. Now, I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use (juices and such) since it doesn't have that much capacity, but for general cooking, such as small to medium ingredients, I do think that it is great, specially for leaves since I can just take it out, shake, and blend again, instead of using a spoon to clean the bottom of the blender cup

EschantonDX said:
Hey can you guys recommend me a hot sauce? Something legitimately hot(think at the same level or preferably above Sriracha) but with a nice flavor?

I have a friend from Thailand that once invited me this thing that looked like a cherry (but smaller), it sent me running for the sink.... I ll ask what's the name of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom