• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brianemone said:
p1030912.jpg
This is a work of art.
May I know what the name of those plants are in the salad?

Exhumed

OnkelC said:
OK, next ingredient in focus is "Berries", including blueberries, strawberries, cherries, grapes and so on.

On that note, a simple and easy fruit salad is nice. Get your favorite assorted fruits and slice/dice however you like. Berries of the smaller variety can be put in whole. Add in some sweet cream or whipped topping and you are done.

Super easy and fast yogurt drink I make often with fresh strawberries, plain yogurt, honey and crushed ice. Just throw equal parts all in a blender and blast that sucker. :D

Not really a dish but I love it so!

5693_601081491318_60710639_34873403_6273431_n.jpg

^ hah I was just going to mention blueberries in smoothies. A handful gives smoothies such a neat color.

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm that big of a fan of raw ones. Maybe I just haven't had the right ones, but they just taste kinda bleh.

But I do like them in waffles and muffins.

[edit:] I just subscribed to a box of produce from South Central CSA that I'm picking up on Sunday. I'm excited about fresh produce from a farm nearby! The BF is scared though. He's afraid it'll be laced with crack or have bullet holes in them :lol

nakedsushi said:
^ hah I was just going to mention blueberries in smoothies. A handful gives smoothies such a neat color.

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm that big of a fan of raw ones. Maybe I just haven't had the right ones, but they just taste kinda bleh.

But I do like them in waffles and muffins.

[edit:] I just subscribed to a box of produce from South Central CSA that I'm picking up on Sunday. I'm excited about fresh produce from a farm nearby! The BF is scared though. He's afraid it'll be laced with crack or have bullet holes in them :lol

Never been a HUGE fan of blueberries.... :/ I LOVE every other berry though! OMG fresh berries are the best! Do the local farms near you let you pick your own fruit? There used to be a couple around here that did it - charged by weight. BEST WAY TO GET FRUIT EVER. Fun and fresh too! Are you in California by any chance?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that's the one thing I miss at the moment, a bi-weekly box of seasonal veggies from a farm around the corner and farmfresh milk, yoghurt and quark. Great choice, nakedsushi!

MelloBoy

Neo Member
Naked and Onkel,

Thanks for the response in re: mixer. I'll give the 5min artisan bread a shot first after I move and go from there :)

bangladesh said:
This is a work of art.
May I know what the name of those plants are in the salad?

They are microherbs, That particular type is raddish.

OnkelC said:
OK, next ingredient in focus is "Berries", including blueberries, strawberries, cherries, grapes and so on.

Hmmm, most are out of season here. Will try to come up with something using frozen.

VelvetMouth said:
My submission, baked eggs. I have a bunch of prep pics as well if somebody is interested.

bakedeggs.jpg

That looks good! What else is in the baked egg? Cheese? Parsley?

CrystalGemini said:
Do the local farms near you let you pick your own fruit? There used to be a couple around here that did it - charged by weight. BEST WAY TO GET FRUIT EVER. Fun and fresh too! Are you in California by any chance?

I am in California. I don't know of any really local farms that let us pick, but once a year, we drive up the 14 to pick cherries. You're right, it IS delicious. And you can eat while you pick!

eggprep.jpg

Baked eggs:

3 eggs, flat leaf parsley, thyme, rosemary, 2 garlic cloves, quarter cup parmesan cheese, butter and cream.

Place a pat of butter and about a tablespoon of cream into an oven save dish. Broil the cream and butter until it starts browning and the butter is melted. While you're doing that, finely chop the herbs, cheese and garlic. Removed dish from oven and slide in 3 eggs into the hot mixture. Make sure to keep the yolks intact. Sprinkle herb/cheese mixture over eggs. Place eggs under broiler. If you like your yolks to be runny, remove eggs from oven when the whites are still somewhat jiggly. The eggs will continue cooking once removed or leave under broiler until yolks are firm.

nakedsushi said:
That looks good! What else is in the baked egg? Cheese? Parsley?

I am in California. I don't know of any really local farms that let us pick, but once a year, we drive up the 14 to pick cherries. You're right, it IS delicious. And you can eat while you pick!

Correct on the parmesan and parsley.

I love going to you- pick-em farms. In Oregon outside of Portland there are quite a few that do berries. We had corn in Washington and apples. Back in the old country my dad used to go on fishing trips and come back with a pick up full of pineapples and avocados. I used to take a whole pineapple to school for lunch with a knife to peel it :lol

I don't think we have anything you pick yourself around here but I have my own veggie garden to pick from. We're only getting a few berries from our berry patch. We just planted it this year so hopefully next year we'll have more as well as some apples and plums from our trees. My neighbors have cherries and peaches. I'm so jealous.

Doytch

Baked egg looks awesome. Sort of reminds me of the egg/shredded cheddar/salami open-faced sammiches my mom used to make.

Was tired from work today, and knew I had nothing in the fridge, so I had to stop at the supermarket. I wanted to make those gyro pizzas that someone (sorry I forget your name!) mentioned a few pages back, but with changes to the toppings. Make it more a bit more Greek.

No gyro pitas at the store, but there was naan, so I used that. Real thin layer of some leftover tomato sauce from the weekend, sliced sun-dried tomatoes, feta, red onions and chopped basil. Oven for a bit to crisp the edges of the naan.

2w66o29.png

I have a picture of the whole thing, but it looks terribly boring. Besides, macro ftw.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
found a recipe for a pizza hut style "pan pizza" in the latest COOK'S ILLUSTRATED and couldn't resist tinkering with it. oh god oh god buttery crust, come to me

2ed36o4.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I admittedly had no part in the sammich (I dare not try and recreate the mastery at work there), but figured I'd share anywho.

dsc_06292a858d.jpg

dsc_06327d53f.jpg

Doytch

Oh god that looks incredible. I love a big fat crust like that. Makes me feel so horrible about myself after I eat half the pie.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im going to be moving out and cooking for myself for really the first time ever. any good cookbooks for an absolute noob?

Zyzyxxz

-COOLIO- said:
im going to be moving out and cooking for myself for really the first time ever. any good cookbooks for an absolute noob?

joy-of-cooking.jpg

I actually dont know if its any good but when I buy cookbooks they have to have lots of good pictures.

For me I have to be visually inspired to muster the effort to cook especially during the summer when I feel lazy.

Yes Boss!

I made a few more vegetarian indian dishes.

The first is chickpea with spicey tomato gravy. It has a bit of chickpea flour and oil in the beginning that functions as a type of roux and magnifies the stewed chickpeas. Mango powder and a bit of lemon juice at the end tarts it up nicely.

P1010618.jpg

And yellow fried rice. I probably stirred too much and broke up the grains but I did not have access to a wok (mine is not flat-bottom and I've got electric now) but the flavor turned out great.

P1010620.jpg

Yes Boss!

-COOLIO- said:

The Professional Chef is always a good starting point. Even if you don't want to cook the rather conservative recipes (anglo-franco centered), a good half of the text is technique and definitions.

P1010623.jpg

P1010625.jpg

P1010626.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
when i was an "absolute noob," i spent time learning through television--mostly absorbing technique from guys who could break it down simply for me, explaining why things worked, like the ever-popular ALTON BROWN (i should note i was about twelve at the time). flip over to food network in the evening if you get a chance, coolio, and watch GOOD EATS as much as possible. even if you don't adhere to his recipes exactly, alton has a lot of good information to provide, and he'll make you want to get in the kitchen and mess around.

Doytch said:
Baked egg looks awesome. Sort of reminds me of the egg/shredded cheddar/salami open-faced sammiches my mom used to make.

Was tired from work today, and knew I had nothing in the fridge, so I had to stop at the supermarket. I wanted to make those gyro pizzas that someone (sorry I forget your name!) mentioned a few pages back, but with changes to the toppings. Make it more a bit more Greek.

No gyro pitas at the store, but there was naan, so I used that. Real thin layer of some leftover tomato sauce from the weekend, sliced sun-dried tomatoes, feta, red onions and chopped basil. Oven for a bit to crisp the edges of the naan.

I have a picture of the whole thing, but it looks terribly boring. Besides, macro ftw.

Hurray for other people tinkering with my notion! I've never had naan before---how'd it turn out? I reckon it should work from the gist of things.

I can theoretically confirm that it works with Spinach Tortillas and the like as another..."unique"...delicacy that I first had wrangled up at my beloved and short lived Ir Dawg's Deli was a hearty portion of bacon, ketchup, and mozzarella wrapped and melted inside a piping hot spinach tortilla, though that version was cooked on a steamer grill thingie. I was able to get something close enough MacGuyver'd using the little oven only the cheese was melted with it, the skillet bacon and ketchup added afterwards before wrapping it to devour.

Somebody's gotta try it stock standard with the pepperoni, melted mozzarella, parmesan or romano dustings, and such and snap a good pic, I think that'd help people see that it is nothing to fear!

Ceres

Banned
beelzebozo said:
when i was an "absolute noob," i spent time learning through television--mostly absorbing technique from guys who could break it down simply for me, explaining why things worked, like the ever-popular ALTON BROWN (i should note i was about twelve at the time). flip over to food network in the evening if you get a chance, coolio, and watch GOOD EATS as much as possible. even if you don't adhere to his recipes exactly, alton has a lot of good information to provide, and he'll make you want to get in the kitchen and mess around.

It's pretty true. I had food network on during the day on Saturday and watched it for about 6 hrs. I got quite a bit of inspiration and learned exactly how to do some things I've always had problems with.

I liked Giada (Giada at Home), Sunny Anderson (Cooking for Real), and Claire Robinson (5 Ingredient Fix).
I actually felt like I could cook everything they showed me and used ingredients I can easily get that won't cost me a fortune.

I did not like that Barefoot Contessa. "Oh, excuse me while I pick fresh herbs from my garden and use only grass fed beef."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
beelzebozo said:
when i was an "absolute noob," i spent time learning through television--mostly absorbing technique from guys who could break it down simply for me, explaining why things worked

This would be my suggestion, too. No books ever did as much for my cooking abilities as simply observing, absorbing and trying it on my own, although I'm more of a PBS guy than Food Network. ;)

Zyzyxxz

Ceres said:
I liked Giada (Giada at Home), Sunny Anderson (Cooking for Real), and Claire Robinson (5 Ingredient Fix).
I actually felt like I could cook everything they showed me and used ingredients I can easily get that won't cost me a fortune.

mmm Giada....

Cosmic Bus said:
This would be my suggestion, too. No books ever did as much for my cooking abilities as simply observing, absorbing and trying it on my own, although I'm more of a PBS guy than Food Network. ;)

If you like the technical/scientific aspect of cooking, you can pick up McGee's On Food and Cooking. It's a huge dense book that answers the "why?" question in cooking. But don't be fooled that it's a recipe book or has pictures. It's seriously a textbook.

Noshino

Cosmic Bus said:

Yah, pretty much observing, helping out on the kitchen, doing it yourself helps absorb all the information. Also, PBS people represent! :lol

Sorry I was sick from the beginning of last week and couldn't get the egg dish done, but I ll do something with strawberries....

Zoe

Mmmm, all the egg talk lately made me really crave an egg & cheese sandwich today:

SDC10672.jpg

I love letting it sit in the foil so the cheese gets all melted <3

Went to an Argentinian restaurant the other week:

SDC10651.jpg

date's Pork Tenderloin

SDC10656.jpg

my Milanesa a la Napolitana (beef cutlets w/ ham, mozzarella, and marinara). Date snatched one of the broccoli before I could take the picture :(

Trying to find some good cupcakes for a party coming up:
SDC10674.jpg
SDC10675.jpg

But you can see even from the pictures that they're really dry. I couldn't bring myself to finish them >_< I have no idea how this place is so popular in Austin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom