• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

Made a small batch of mint and tomato chutney. Made this one a little richer with some butter. Especially good with bread.

P1020206.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cosmic Bus said:
Ohhh, yeeeaah. I haven't had good Greek food in a long time -- since pretending to be straight and going to this girl's house for flirty little date nights mainly because she worked at a slouvaki take-out place and always had this awesome food on hand. :lol
greek food makes you do the strangest of things...

:lol :lol :lol

Zyzyxxz

Cosmic Bus said:
Ohhh, yeeeaah. I haven't had good Greek food in a long time -- since pretending to be straight and going to this girl's house for flirty little date nights mainly because she worked at a slouvaki take-out place and always had this awesome food on hand. :lol

:lol

This uses the same process as the blackberry caviar on the previous page but it is a Pea and Mint Puree in a slightly larger size. They call them Ravioli, which is strange.

P1040397_thumb.jpg

Kccitystar

I attempted to make some Oreo cheesecake last week and I kinda bungled the steps (it wasn't tasty). I'm looking to make some cheesecake this weekend, as my family is visiting.

Anyone have any good cheesecake recipes?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

hitsugi

Brianemone said:
This uses the same process as the blackberry caviar on the previous page but it is a Pea and Mint Puree in a slightly larger size. They call them Ravioli, which is strange.

P1040397_thumb.jpg

molecular ftw. it's always a pea one at first, but I find the smaller "caviar" variety has more applications. good stuff man

Yes Boss!

slidewinder said:
Yes Boss!, you make a vegetarian life look damn near worth living. Beautiful.

Ha! Yeah it has been fun. I'm just doing vegetarian for this year. I've gotta admit, though, that not having to deal with bacteria and cross contamination in the kitchen has been incredibly refreshing. Also, I don't really cook with water anymore...instead use the natural juice in the veggies.

Here is another dish I made. It is a batter made strictly of two different kinds of dal (lentils) that have been fermented then fried in oil to create airy dumpling. The fried balls are then soaked in water, squeezed, and then dunked in a salted yogurt. I'm assuming the water soak and purge then helps the dumplings to suck up yogurt. It is then topped with toasted cumin seed, red pepper and tamarind.

Dumplings frying:

P1020236.jpg

Then soaked in yogurt and dressed:

P1020237.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Yes Boss! said:
Ha! Yeah it has been fun. I'm just doing vegetarian for this year. I've gotta admit, though, that not having to deal with bacteria and cross contamination in the kitchen has been incredibly refreshing.

Seriously that must be nice!

I feel the same way in my own kitchen, having a lot of counter space and a really well planned out kitchen really go a long way to enhance the cooking experience by making it easier.

Natetan

Yes Boss! said:
Ha! Yeah it has been fun. I'm just doing vegetarian for this year. I've gotta admit, though, that not having to deal with bacteria and cross contamination in the kitchen has been incredibly refreshing. Also, I don't really cook with water anymore...instead use the natural juice in the veggies.

Here is another dish I made. It is a batter made strictly of two different kinds of dal (lentils) that have been fermented then fried in oil to create airy dumpling. The fried balls are then soaked in water, squeezed, and then dunked in a salted yogurt. I'm assuming the water soak and purge then helps the dumplings to suck up yogurt. It is then topped with toasted cumin seed, red pepper and tamarind.

Dumplings frying:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020236.jpg[IMG]

[B]Then soaked in yogurt and dressed:
[/B]
[IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020237.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

:O..................

that looks and sounds amazing...

Yes Boss!

hitsugi said:
any chance I could get a full (measured ingredients, etc) recipe for those? they look heavenly!

Actually, there is quite a bit of leeway and measuring is not important. Kinda just depends on your humidity and water content of the chickpea flour. But a good start is:

1) Mix in a bowl about 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour and 1 cup buttermilk

2) Add a small chopped onion, green chile to taste (I use about four or five serrano style peppers, seeds intact), cilantro and a small grated potato. All that gets mixed to a the consistency of a thick pancake batter. It needs to be able to stand up in a spoon.

3) Than drop a decent tablespoon portions of batter into 300 degree oil till golden (the standard western 375 is too hot)

In a separate sauce pot prepare the buttermilk curry:

1) Add two tablespoons oil till hot then add a dash of hing, 1 teaspoon cumin seed, and 1 teaspoon mustard seed till they crack (30 seconds).

2) Then quickly add the whole dried red chili (to taste again, 3-4), 10 fenugreek seeds (no more as they will make your curry bitter), 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1-2 teaspoons red chili powder, and about 10 fresh curry leaves. Sautee for about 1 minute being sure not to blacken the dried red chiles.

3) Add 2 1/2 cups of buttermilk and a heaping teaspoon of salt.

4) Bring curry to a boil then lower heat till curry thickens and reduces by 1/3. Takes a good twenty minutes. If it gets too thick you can always add a bit of hot water, the curry is durable and will not break.

5) After sufficient reduction, add the fried dumplings and slowly simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes so the dumplings can absorb the curry. Be gentle so as not to destroy the dumplings.

6) Adjust salt if needed, then it is ready to serve. It is hearty enough that you don't need rice. But a nice piece of buttered flatbread goes well.

GameCat

Me and the girlfriend made jam last night. I really recommend it, it's easy, cheap and you end up with much higher quality stuff than what you get at the supermarket. As a bonus, you can put some in smaller jars and give as gifts.

This is how easy it is:

1. Start with a huge pot filled with berries (in this case lingonberries since we're Swedish (bork bork!)) and a bit of water.

2. After it has boiled for 5-10 minutes, remove foam if any has formed, add the sugar and keep adding gradually as it dissolves:

3. Keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved and the consistency is nice and loose again. Move the jam into clean glass jars, and leave to cool:

4. Enjoy your tasty home made jam!

The proportions for this particular jam are:

1 kg lingonberries
2 dl water
6 dl (~500 g) of sugar

You can use more water if you like your jam more runny.

This particular kind goes well with meatballs :)

Yes Boss!

Damn, I need to start canning.

I made a few more dishes. First is Mango Rice with Peanuts. Here are the spices, nuts, and mango cooking:

P1020195.jpg

Then folded with white rice to give it all a pretty color and flavor...very hearty and can be used as a main:

P1020196.jpg

And Aloo Baingain...a fried potato and eggplant dish. It is usually drier but I went for a gravy texture and fried the eggplant for about ten minutes so that it basically dissolves. Leaving the skin on the eggplant gives texture (and nutrition, I pressume):

P1020204.jpg

French fries. I soaked the cut fries (Russets) in ice water in the fridge for about an hour, and then did the standard two-fry thing, once at 325, again at 375 after a rest. I used lard for the fat. They turned out pretty nicely.
fries.jpg

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
French fries. I soaked the cut fries (Russets) in ice water in the fridge for about an hour, and then did the standard two-fry thing, once at 325, again at 375 after a rest. I used lard for the fat. They turned out pretty nicely.
fries.jpg

wow, that looks sweet!

Have you tried using duck fat? I heard that is heavenly.

Zyzyxxz

slidewinder said:
No, I never have. Potatoes roasted with duck fat are definitely amazing, though.

the problem with trying to deep fry in duck fat is that you need lots of is. I've only heard of one place where you can buy duck fat by the bottle.

My mom renders her own pork fat so I'm sure you can probably render your own duck fat somehow... Though buying it out of a bottle like how Zyzyxxz said is probably way easier. :D

CrystalGemini said:
My mom renders her own pork fat so I'm sure you can probably render your own duck fat somehow... Though buying it out of a bottle like how Zyzyxxz said is probably way easier. :D

You can, ducks are very fatty birds, but you'd need a few birds to get enough fat to cook chips in for more than one person.

Zyzyxxz

CrystalGemini said:

You'd be rendering a tub of ducks so if somebody went that route you'd have to eat duck for a month straight.

15gf38k.jpg

Cream Cheese & Bacon Jalapenos

Halved jalapenos with a spoonful of cream cheese, then skewered with a toothpick and wrapped in bacon. I cooked them on the BBQ for about 20 minutes.

I got this recipe from The Pioneer Woman's blog.

Next time I think I'm going to alter the cream cheese stuffing by mixing other ingredients into the cream cheese before I spoon it into the jalapenos.

Nonetheless, they were pretty delicious.

Ferrio

Banned
Commodore_Perry said:
15gf38k.jpg

Halved jalapenos with a spoonful of cream cheese, then skewered with a toothpick and wrapped in bacon. I cooked them on the BBQ for about 20 minutes.

Next time I think I'm going to alter the cream cheese stuffing by mixing other ingredients into the cream cheese before I spoon it into the jalapenos.

Those are a staple food around my circle of friends. I usually mix the jalapeno seeds in with the cream cheese. Also throw some chopped habeneros sometimes into the cream cheese.

Yes Boss!

Ferrio said:
Those are a staple food around my circle of friends. I usually mix the jalapeno seeds in with the cream cheese. Also throw some chopped habeneros sometimes into the cream cheese.

Gonna say, it does not seem hot enough but your variation makes it sound much more flavorful. I go through a ton of peppers myself. Below is what I go through in about two weeks...usually drying a few each week for use a month down the line. Definitely gonna make a variation of the above recipe.

P1020247.jpg

Zyzyxxz

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey guys,

Can you suggest a good fillet knife (for skinning fish, and maybe trimming fat off of certain cuts of meat)?

Preferably one on Amazon.

Thanks.

I dunno if these are good but they look good: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1540981

Commodore_Perry said:
15gf38k.jpg

Yeah bacon wrapped food on a stick! Though I can't stand jalapenos, too spicy for me. I use asparagus instead.

3646226130_8516c44d83.jpg

3646226284_cbc3bca540.jpg

Yes Boss!

Another night and another dish.

This one was made with raw green chick peas. It is two cups of those cooked in a spicy cashew-tomato gravy with tender potatoes. A bit of chana masala (spice) is added at the end as a flavor magnifier. Freshy squeezed lemon at the table compliments the nuttiness of the green chana quite nicely. First time I've worked with this bean in its fresh green form. I had to opt for fresh-frozen as opposed to fresh because I could only find them like that here in california.

Fresh Green Chick Peas:

P1020264.jpg

Finished Dish:

P1020265.jpg

SRG01

Zyzyxxz said:
You'd be rendering a tub of ducks so if somebody went that route you'd have to eat duck for a month straight.

Is it possible to roast the ducks after you get all the fat out of them? I wouldn't mind duck for a week :D

edit: Actually, I can just stew them with taro or something.

Zyzyxxz

SRG01 said:
Is it possible to roast the ducks after you get all the fat out of them? I wouldn't mind duck for a week :D

edit: Actually, I can just stew them with taro or something.

OOOHhh duck with taro is so good! A good way to get tender duck.

OnkelC said:
looks nice, santouras! recipe would be nice.

again, let me hear your beer batter experience, folks!

On a side note, I'll be starring as a guest in a german tv series called "Unter Volldampf":
http://www.vox.de/untervolldampf.php

it will be filmed at the Restaurant "Kornmühle" in Wuppertal:
http://www.kornmuehle.de/

It will be aired from November 2 to November 6, 2009 on VOX.

Go Onkel!

I like beer batter, I think it's the combination of the evaporating alcohol, the effervescence and of course the added depth of taste. I'm one of those people that wants every component of a dish to stand up by its self, if a batter doesn't taste nice alone then you really shouldn't put it on something else.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Zaptruder said:
What else can be beer battered other than fish?

Chicken? the chips themselves?

anything that tastes good battered and fried works just fine with a beer batter. zucchini, squash, onion rings, squid, cauliflower. . . actually, i'm hard-pressed to think of many things that don't taste good battered, beer or no.

Yes Boss!

I made a big pot of Vegetable Biryani. I used the easy version which gets baked in the oven with a bit of clarified butter ladled on top to make it decadent. There are about a half dozen vegetables and a bit of paneer that are first marinated in a heavily-spiced yogurt then simmered in fresh tomato sauce. It gets layered with saffron rice and baked off in the oven for thirty minutes. Lots of mint in the dish too.

P1020312.jpg

My girlfriend made this last night for our get together, we had people over for burgers, cake and Dreamcast :)

IMG_1484.jpg

It cracked a little bit, but my friends were nice and said that this just represented the Dreamcast's failure :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
RoryDropkick, great cake! thanks for sharing. Did you take pics of the burgers as well?

Our "night out" yesterday resulted in an odyssey through town because the menu at the place we wanted to go to didn't impress us and the alternatives were booked out...
so it was a Döner takeaway, I had a chicken döner baked with cheese and fries, similar to this one:
smallP1040284.jpg

ccarver3

Cuban Deviled Crabs

28gxddt.jpg

School is in, and I stay busy. I did get to make these today though.

Ingredients

Deviled Crab Dough:

3 loaves stale white bread, crusts removed
1 loaf stale Cuban bread, ground very fine and sifted
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt

Crabmeat Filling:

5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
3 onions, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, mashed or chopped fine
1 level tsp. crushed hot red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 pound fresh crabmeat, shells and cartilage removed, shredded

Deviled Crab Coating:

2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup milk
Salt to taste
Pinch black pepper
1 cup cracker crumbs, crushed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying

Directions

About 4 hours before serving, make dough:
Break white bread into pieces
Place in a large bowl; cover with water and soak 15 minutes. Drain water and squeeze soaked bread until almost dry; return to the bowl.
Gradually add sifted Cuban bread until mixture reaches dough consistency.
Add paprika and salt; mix thoroughly.
Form dough into a ball; refrigerate about 2-3 hours.

Make Filling:

Heat oil in a large skillet.
Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and hot red pepper flakes saute very slowly for 10 minutes.
Add bay leaves, sugar, salt and tomato paste; stir.
Cover and cook 15 minutes over low heat.
Add crabmeat; cook uncovered 10 minutes; remove bay leaves. Place mixture on a platter; refrigerate 2-3 hours.

When dough and filling have cooled assemble finished devil crabs:

With your hands, take about 3 Tbsp bread dough and flatten into a circle.
Add 1 Tbsp crab filling
Seal dough around filling like a croquette with pointed ends.
In a small bowl mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
In another small bowl mix cracker crumbs and flour.
Roll deviled crabs first into cracker mixture then into egg mixture, then into cracker mixture again.
Refrigerate for at least an hour.

When ready to cook:

Heat oil in a deep, heavy pot or deep fryer. Place the deviled crabs a couple at a time in the oil and fry until light brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Usually served with hot sauce.

adg1034

I'll be honest- those deviled crab bits look like baking potatoes, but that recipe sounds heavenly.

So, I've been going through an avocado phase recently. As a college student, it's a bit of a spendy habit, but avocados mean good times. Especially for breakfast.

I didn't take any pictures (early-morning-adg1034 needed food badly), but yesterday, I ate the best avocado toast you've ever seen. Buttered bread broiled in the oven, covered with smashed avocado slices (mixed in with sea salt, pepper, and a couple drizzles of olive oil) and topped off with two fried eggs, one for each piece of toast. Absolutely fucking delicious. And simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom