• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bggrthnjsus said:
the trick to making french fries is to fry them in oil twice, once at a lower temperature to cook them through, then once at a higher temperature to get the outside crispy.
I know you want regular old french fries, but we tried something last night that turned out pretty great. First, grab a bunch of root vegetables. We used potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnip, turnip and rutabaga. Cut them into fry-like wedges and toss them all with rosemary, olive oil and kosher salt. Wipe a oven-safe pan with olive oil, then scatter all of the veggies in the pan. Cook them for 20 minutes on one side, then flip to the other side for 20 more.

They get nice and crisp on the outside, soft on the inside. It's a nice enough variety that we just ate them as a meal instead of as a side. We dipped them in sour cream (me), salsa(my wife) and ketchup(my daughter).

tnw

Banned
looks awesome heavy liquid. jerk is so tasty, and adding lime juice is something I do as well. yum.

grilled root vegetables are really tasty.

Summer is fast approaching, I'm going to have to make some gazpacho pretty soon. :D

I have a request, now that we're on a new page. Can we try and keep the image sizes smaller? I of course enjoy this thread and seeing what you're making, but it's a pain to have to load all the images everytime :/

This was tonights meal. Asparagus and Chicken stir-fry.

Cut a pound of chicken into one inch chunks, toss in salt, pepper and cornstarch.
Cut a bunch of asparagus into one inch slices.
Cut a bunch of scallions, dice the green part, cut the white part into large pieces.

510147048_bfa51c10fc_m.jpg

Cook the chicken in olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the asparagus and white scallions about halfway into that. Add a small amount of water (1/4-1/3 cup) and 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce. Let it simmer a few minutes until teh chicken is cooked through. Add the green scallions and serve over rice.

Also add toasted cashews or pine-nuts if your daughter isn't allergic to them like mine.

510147054_ae5efc97ae.jpg

oops, sorry tnw. I posted this right before I saw you post. Hopefully these aren't too large.

tnw

Banned
no those are fine (looks tasty by the way). is there some way people can have a smaller image on the page, with a link for a bigger image if you click on it? That's probably a lot to ask....

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
looks awesome heavy liquid. jerk is so tasty, and adding lime juice is something I do as well. yum.

grilled root vegetables are really tasty.

Summer is fast approaching, I'm going to have to make some gazpacho pretty soon. :D

Nothing to add, sir, awesome stuff people! Keep it coming!

tnw said:
I have a request, now that we're on a new page. Can we try and keep the image sizes smaller? I of course enjoy this thread and seeing what you're making, but it's a pain to have to load all the images everytime :/

Valid point, but it might be difficult, as Photobucket (used by most posters) does not give a "thumbnails" option. At least for my part, I'll try to reduce the number of pics per recipe or only give links for the "usual" preparation steps.

Would this be OK with the rest of the cooking squad?

Thanks, guys. :)

As for the images, I'm fine with posting only the necessary pics to cut back on the volume (I'm also using Photobucket). That's what I've been doing lately anyway, but mostly because I've been cooking quicker and easier dishes out of necessity.

It's too bad Photobucket doesn't have a thumbnail option... maybe I should switch to a different image hosting site?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I wouldn't omit photobucket just because it hasn't got thumbs. Let's agree on 2 pics per dish and links to the pics for the preparation steps, OK?

Okay, I'm fine with that, OnkelC. But how about maybe 3 or 4? If more than that, then thumbs or links? I really enjoy seeing the progression of the dishes as well. On to tonight's dinner...

Tonight was Slow-Simmered Tomato Sauce with Pork .

This sauce can be made with either beef or pork ribs. Depending on their size, you'll need 4 or 5 ribs. To prevent the sauce from becoming greasy, trim all external fat from the ribs and drain off most of the fat from the skillet after browning. This is excellent with tubular pasta, such as rigatoni, ziti, or penne, although I cooked some whole wheat spaghetti for my dish. Pass grated Pecorino (especially nice with pork) or Parmesan cheese at the table.

You'll need:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs , or pork spareribs or country-style ribs, trimmed of fat
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 medium onion , minced
1/2 cup red wine
(28 ounce) can whole tomatoes , drained, juice reserved, tomatoes chopped fine

Heat oil in 12-inch, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season ribs with salt and pepper and brown on all sides, turning occasionally with tongs, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer ribs to plate; pour off all but 1 teaspoon fat from skillet. Add onion and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer, scraping pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until wine reduces to a glaze, about 2 minutes.

Return ribs and accumulated juices to skillet; add tomatoes and reserved juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently, turning ribs several times, until meat is very tender and falling off the bones, 1 1/2 hours (for pork spareribs or country-style ribs) to 2 hours (for beef short ribs).

Transfer ribs to clean plate. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and shred with fingers, discarding fat and bones. Return shredded meat to sauce in skillet. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until heated through and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. To serve, toss sauce with drained pasta.

In the crock pot:

DSCF0186.jpg

Finished:

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

tnw

Banned
I make my own pasta sauce too. it' way better.

Mine always has eggplant and mushrooms of some kind. Also add 2 chili peppers and garlic. It's so cheap it's become a regular staple of my work week dinners.

JRPereira

Sure - as soon as I make my next batch of dough. However, the recipe -requires- tweaking for the dough. You can't do the dough the same every time for two reasons - 1) variety is the spice of life, and 2) the dough is really weather-sensitive - it's best if you just add water or flour until it feels right rather than use the same recipe over and over.

I made some waffles today:

may24_2007_waffles.jpg

I followed a generic recipe on about.com. I'm going to tweak the recipe later so it has some background flavor hits (nutmeg and cinnamon or something, not sure yet).

http://bandb.about.com/od/pancakerecipes/r/belgian_waffles.htm

I omitted the whipped cream and didn't toss any fruit in the actual recipe. They also neglect to mention some of the ingredients in the actual instructions.

Basically, I put everything except for the egg whites in a bowl (starting with the dry ingredients) and then beat them together in the stand mixer until it's kind of a thin variation of pancake batter. Then I put the egg whites in another bowl and whipped those until soft peaks (basically right up to where it's to a creamy point (after the frothy point). I then folded the mass of whipped egg white into the rest of the ingredients until there weren't any obvious pieces of egg white separate from the rest of the ingredients. Then I just poured the mix into the waffle maker (at full blast btw) and waited til darker brown and crispy. I let them sit for a minute on a rack so as not to get soggy.

I. Love. Waffles.

And Flickr gives you various sizes of thumbnails. I don't think they like you to hotlink to the thumbnails, but they haven't given me any problems about it yet.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Waffles!

:)

Thanks for sharing, JR.

A bad news and a good news from me:
My camera is now officially dead and sent in for repair/replacement, which might take up to 6 weeks. So no new stuff for the time being.

The good news is that I got this beauty on order:
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/high-zoom/dmc-tz3eb-k/index.htm

and that YOU got the chance RIGHT NOW to grace this humble thread with all your pics of cooking genius!:lol
This means YOU!

Please be nice and fill the gap!

my newbie contribution to GAF cookery: chicken seasoned with thyme

two lovely
chicken
breasts with skin cut off and washed and all that good stuff
step1.jpg

Throw it in a bowl, add some seasoning (for me, it's salt, pepper, and thyme)
step2.jpg

Slice up some green peppers and onions, add them to the bowl, put the lid on, and shake it up a bit! I have no idea if this helps, but it's fun to do. If possible, do this step and leave it in the fridge for a bit so that it really seeps in.
step3.jpg

When you're ready to cook, add some vegetable oil to the pan, heat it up to medium or so, then put the chicken inside. Make sure to give each breast a nice tan on both sides (keep an eye out so you don't leave it to long and burn it)
step4.jpg

after a bit of that, add some water to the pan so that it essentially cooks the chicken (is there a technical term for this? simmering?). Also, take whatever leftover peppers/onions you have from the bowl in step 3, and dump it into the water with the chicken. Some may even want to add a bit more thyme at this point also.
step5.jpg

Baby you got a stew going!
373px-CarlWeathersGetshisSTEWOn.JPG

In this case, I had it with some rice and cabbage. Oh yeah, the leftover water with the peppers and thyme and whatever mixed in makes for a nice gravy to put over the rice.
alldone.jpg

oh yeah, I washed it down with:
washitdown.jpg

Sorry to hear about the camera, Onkel. :( The new one you're getting looks really nice, though.

Looks good, soul creator! The technical term you're looking for is "simmering". The Japanese consider it one of the "four essential cooking techniques", with the others being steaming, grilling and deep-frying.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice, easy and fast dish, soul creator!:)
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the thread. Thyme and poultry go together nicely.

perryfarrell said:
Damn! Deep fried goodness, I'm hungry as hell.

:lol

Yeah, it's nothing you want to eat with any regularity, that's for sure. I'll maybe go there only every month or two. But it's soooo delicious. I forgot to get a pic of their excellent homemade tartar sauce in there too. Oh, well.

tnw

Banned
I stocked up on some Caspian Sea Yogurt yesterday. It's really popular here, is it popular where you live gaf?

http://www.happyherbalist.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=48

I forgot to buy some fruit at the grocery store (it's expensive!), but luckily I had some yuzu cha. The prefecture I live in on JET is famous for a certain type of citrus, so I was dissapointed when I went to their prefectural goods store and they didn't have anything, so I bought this Yuzucha, not something they're known for. It was far too sweet to use as yuzu-cha, but it was excellent with my Caspian Sea yogurt. :D

Obligatory pictures:

20.jpg
csy150.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
mmm, yoghurt!:)

The "caspian sea yoghurt" described in the link seems to be the same as the traditional plain yoghurt we get from the farmer who provides us with fresh milk twice a week. As luck would have it, I made some fruit shake from such yoghurt to go alongside with yesterdays Sausagefest (had to use our vintage 2megapixel cam, so excuse the crappy PQ):

Ingredients were 500ml of yoghurt, roughly the same amount of strawberries, some milk to smoothen it out and some sugar:
smallIMG_0953.jpg

clean the strawberries:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0955.jpg

blend them with some sugar:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0957.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0958.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0959.jpg

Add the yoghurt and blend some more, smoothen it up with some milk if necessary:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0960.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/SausageFest/smallIMG_0961.jpg

Serve with a straw:
smallIMG_0970.jpg

Sausages were nice, too:
smallIMG_0968.jpg

smallIMG_0976.jpg

Thriller

Hey guys, so this is whats going on, we just got a wok but the thing is that i dont know any good simple and fast wok recepes.
My mother has just been operated on so i need to cook now, can anyone help me out here? thanks in advance and keep the thread alive :D

tnw

Banned
onkel, nice yogurt stuff. Summer certainly is an excellent to make smoothies with fresh fruit!

I grew up with my dad cooking with a wok. He made tons of stir fry. Not difficult to make really; Chop up foods you would like to stir fry, put them in wok. profit.

A few notes though.

It's important to season the wok before you begin using it. Look on teh inarnets for help with that.

The meat goes in first, obviously (of course meat free is better for me! :D ). Then make sure you put the rest of your ingredients so that by the end all of them will be properly cooked. Put green peppers in before mushrooms for example. Tofu/tempeh can go in towards the end because it doesn't need cooking, and will most likely crumble a lot from your cooking utensils.

My dad would always put dry vermouth in our stirfry. Adding cornstarch to whatever sauce you use will thicken the sauce (of course really reducing the sauce is more flavor ful but takes more time) You can use vegetable stock with some soy sauce. When you're reducing the sauce, make sure you use the woks edges and move the ingredients to the sides with the sauce in the center simmering.

Failing all of that, you try these recipies, but you might have trouble finding all of the ingredients. These are mainstays in China and hugely popular in Japan as well

Mapo Tofu

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tof1/r/mapotofu.htm

Shrip Chili (ebi chili), popular in Japan, not really Chinese but Japanese all think it is.

http://www.sachikocooking.com/english/en0400.htm

bovo

It's been months since I last posted in this thread, but I'm in the process of moving house, so wanted to get a last set of photos in from this kitchen before I move!

This is also the first meal I've shown that contains meat, as non-vegetarians now outnumber vegetarians in the house. All of the preparation steps shown are meat free however...

The meal was Roast turkey with Potatoes Dauphinoise. As the turkey was pre-prepared, I haven't shown that - and have just concentrated on the Daupinoise.

Ingredients: Potatoes, cream, milk, butter, garlic (just one clove needed - not whole bulb shown here...), salt, pepper

Peel and slice the potatoes thinly.

Arrange layers of potatoes in oven dish - add a crushed clove of garlic, salt and pepper after about half the potatoes. Add rest of potatoes in layers. Then pour over cream (with some milk added if required), put a few bits of butter on top, and put in an oven at around 150degC.

After about 1.5 hours, remove from oven.

Served with some green beans, carrots and gravy.

I did take a picture of the same meal with vegetarian sausages instead of turkey for tnw and the other vegetarians, but it was too blurry to use... Sorry!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo, welcome back and thanks for sharing! Long time no see, I hope moving house will be as smooth as the nice gratin!:)

Keep sharing, folks!

bovo said:
It's been months since I last posted in this thread, but I'm in the process of moving house, so wanted to get a last set of photos in from this kitchen before I move!

I did take a picture of the same meal with vegetarian sausages instead of turkey for tnw and the other vegetarians, but it was too blurry to use... Sorry!
Mmmh, I love making those potatoes, the crispy tops are teh best.

Thriller

ok ok here we go :D im totally new to this but i will soon make my entry at this thread with a recepe by my mother, its brocolli out of the oven baked together with blue cheese.
Im not exactly sure what it is, but when im making it ill write down the procedure and ill make some pics and im hoping itl work out.
Ill keep you guys updates :)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

My contribution to the thread... Coconut Curry Chicken! (click the pic for a bigger version)

Ingredients:
- 14oz coconut milk
- Curry
- Cut tomatoes from a can
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chicken / Meat
- Salt/Pepper
- Assorted peppers

My apartment only has one electric stove range, which makes cooking incredibly painful and longer than it should be. So basically what I did was boil the chicken my rice cooker while I prepared the coconut curry. I started off by dropping my curry block into some boiling water to start the curry, and once the curry started to thicken, I threw in the coconut milk and cut tomatoes. The amount of coconut milk I put it was equal to the amount of curry I had, but you can change it depending on your tastes.

tnw

Banned
Your apartment has an electric burner and only one of them? How odd....Even the super ghetto apartment I lived in before had a rusted out double gas burner with a fish grill...

Reno said:
I started off by dropping my curry block into some boiling water ...

You're not using Japanese curry, curry roux are you.

>:/

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
f_31052007652m_7294629.jpg

4kwjymd.jpg

Last night's dinner: New Zealand Lamb Burger with Jalapeno Havarti cheese and Swiss Chard, topped with Canadian 'Gluck' sauce.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Reno and capslock, great stuff, thanks for sharing.
I can hear you on the one-stove kitchen, Reno, had to cope university with a two-stove kitchen:lol

What is "Gluck" sauce, capslock?

Flynn

I pulled the grill out of storage last weekend to grill some tuna steaks.

I brushed the fish with a little olive oil and hit it with a little ground pepper before cooking. Two minutes on each side.

I cut the steak, then drizzled it with lemon juice and topped it with a basic pesto (basil, oil, Parmesan, toasted pine nuts, garlic, salt and pepper)

tuna.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nikashi, that's home-style cooking at its' finest!:)

And the tuna looks gorgeous, Flynn. The pesto is a good idea, gonna try that out as soon I get a hold of a nice piece of tuna.

GameCat

Yesterdays dinner was fried chicken with potato salad and a feta-avocado salsa. The highlight was the salsa, very tasty:

Salsa (3-4 servings)

1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 avocados
100g feta cheese
1 tbsp good olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
1 tsp oregano (I used dried, fresh is probably better)

rra_sm.jpg

Mix the avocados with the feta cheese and onion with a fork, add the fluids. Easy and really tasty. I'm going to use it all summer with grilled meat.

rra2_sm.jpg

The potato salad was just:

fresh potatoes
radishes
spring onions
leek

It was tasty but the dressing was just ok. I used a yogurt based one from the internet that was supposed to go well with this type of salad, but I prefer the French type with oil and lots of Dijon mustard. Next time I'll stick with the classics :)

Final meal:

meal.jpg

Nice and summery. I also tried Onkel's cheese cake recipe (with slight modifications to fit the ingredients I had available) but since I had forgotten to buy butter it got delayed and I had to wait until today to actually eat it. I'll report back when I've tried it later tonight...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for sharing, Gamecat! The guarcamole is intriguing, gonna try that out with some brats the next time.

What ingredinets did you have to substitute for the cheesecake? The Quark?

Looking forward to the outcome and to new stuff from you!:)

radiuhm

Reno said:
My contribution to the thread... Coconut Curry Chicken! (click the pic for a bigger version)

Ingredients:
- 14oz coconut milk
- Curry
- Cut tomatoes from a can
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chicken / Meat
- Salt/Pepper
- Assorted peppers

My apartment only has one electric stove range, which makes cooking incredibly painful and longer than it should be. So basically what I did was boil the chicken my rice cooker while I prepared the coconut curry. I started off by dropping my curry block into some boiling water to start the curry, and once the curry started to thicken, I threw in the coconut milk and cut tomatoes. The amount of coconut milk I put it was equal to the amount of curry I had, but you can change it depending on your tastes.

You are my hero, I just had some of this not too long ago at a cambodian restaurant soooo gooooood. than you sooo much for this recipe I must make this for my girlfriend.

GameCat

OnkelC said:
Thanks for sharing, Gamecat! The guarcamole is intriguing, gonna try that out with some brats the next time.

What ingredinets did you have to substitute for the cheesecake? The Quark?

Looking forward to the outcome and to new stuff from you!:)

I didn't have lady fingers or lemon jelly, so I used digestive crackers and a little bit more whipped cream and the grated peels from the lemons. Turned out really tasty, a little bit less lemon and it would've been perfect. Next time I won't use all the lemon peels.

Final result:
cake.jpg

Good stuff! Love the tuna steaks and chicken with avocado and potato salad.

Tonight was leftovers. My brother cooked these up last night, so I apologize for not having the usual prep pics. I think we've done lasagna before, and maybe even the sausage with peppers & onions, but, c'est la vie. :p

Lasagna
Simple with tomato meat sauce and spinach

Tomato-Meat Sauce:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
6 medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 pound meatloaf mix (1/3 pound each ground beef chuck, ground veal, and ground pork) or ground beef/chuck if you can't find or don't want the meatloaf mix
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained

Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Pasta Layers:

15 ounces ricotta cheese (whole milk or part skim), 1 3/4 cups)
2 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 large egg , lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 no-boil lasagna noodles from one 8- or 9-ounce package
16 ounces whole milk mozzarella , shredded (4 cups)
20 ounces curly spinach (2 bags), stemmed and rinsed

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground meats, salt, and pepper; cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon, until meat loses its raw color but has not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and only fat remains, about 4 minutes. Add pureed and drained diced tomatoes and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer slowly until flavors are blended, about 3 minutes; set sauce aside. (Sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 2 days; reheat before assembling lasagna.)

Mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, salt, and pepper in medium bowl with fork until well-combined and creamy; set aside.

Assemble first meat sauce, then noodles, spinach and ricotta, evenly spread one cup of mozzarella cheese, and finally 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce evenly on top of the mozzerella. Repeat layering of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce two more times. Place 3 remaining noodles on top of sauce, spread remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle with remaining cup mozzarella, then with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Lightly spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover lasagna. Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Return lasagna to oven and continue to bake until cheese is spotty brown and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Let the lasagna cool for about 10 min before you serve it.

DSCF0258.jpg

DSCF0259.jpg

Sausage with peppers and onions

3 lbs. sweet or hot Italian sausage

In large skillet place sausage and enough water to cover it. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and simmer 10 minutes. Drain and cut sausage in to 3 to 4 pieces. Grill 6 inches from heat source 10 to 13 minutes, turning occasionally until no pink color remains. Place on large platter with pepper and onion saute.

For the pepper and onion saute:

2 tbsp. oil
3 lb. onions, cut into fourths
3 lb. bell peppers, red, green or yellow

In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender. Arrange with sausage on platter.

DSCF0255.jpg

DSCF0256.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom