• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
What the hell? Even the fast food in Germany looks better than the North American counterparts.

Jacobi

Banned
What cam you got Onkel ?
Looks gre:)at

Did you use the "2 whoppers for the price of one"-coupon ?

@capslock : really ? damn... always envisioned the USA as some kind of fastfood paradise :(

The mag is coming along OK BTW, just was in London for some shots (well not solely for that reason ;)). But it's progressing slowly because I have to do it on my own

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi Jacobi, long time no hear!
it's a Panasonic Lumix TZ3, works like a charm. and no BK coupons around :(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook. I planned on making a Steak Tartare tonight, but the meat grinder at my butcher was, well, butchered ;), so I went with some "Mett" with onions on buttered poppy seed rolls:
smallP1000358.jpg

smallP1000361.jpg

and the remainig roll with a helping of Nutella:
smallP1000365.jpg

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I made some ftuffed bell peppers tonight:
smallP1000391.jpg

smallP1000459.jpg

Bonus pic: the depressing cave that is ze kitchen :(
smallP1000430.jpg

If there is interest in the recipe/preparation, feel free to ask! :)

Jacobi

Banned
looks very northern germany-style to me (the kitchen) :D

let me take a guess... you make a sauce with the hacked meat and the tomatoe-puree, then put cheese on it and then put it into the oven

and by the way you can print out the coupons on burger-king.de
it's pretty cool you can get two whopper menus and two cheeseburger menus for 10 euros

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Just returned from an exam which lasted from sunday to today. Exam was in the hessian town of Wetzlar, a small but pretty town with a vintage flair:
smallP1000545.jpg

We had to examine the new funeral masters, who had, amongst other things, had to build these ones:
smallP1000535.jpg

We made it a rite that the board of examiners "reward" ourselves with some fine foods for the duration of the exam, so the dishes following were NOT consumed only by myself:lol

The fellow members of the examiners board and me had the following:

Day 1:
Modest start in the afternoon, judging the written test, accompanied by some Apple mix and a cappuccino:
smallP1000511.jpg

smallP1000525.jpg

An oven-baked steak tartare with a sunny side up and panfries (very interesting dish btw, will try that out at home soon):

smallP1000521.jpg

A mixed veggie platter (yeahm, I know):
smallP1000523.jpg

Veal steak, topped with some bresaola:
smallP1000524.jpg

second day started modest:
smallP1000529.jpg

and was topped off with a real nice italian restaurant which we just discovered that night:
Insalata cappricciosa (mixed salad with hard boiled eggs, cooked ham and cheese):
smallP1000554.jpg

smallP1000558.jpg

and Pizza bread to go with it:
smallP1000556.jpg

Beef carpaccio:
smallP1000555.jpg

Grilled Dorade:
smallP1000562.jpg

Pasta with fresh chanterelles:
smallP1000565.jpg

Standard Pizza and calzone:
smallP1000559.jpg

Beef fillet with several seasonal mushrooms and panfries:
smallP1000564.jpg

Desserts were great, too:
Coppa Danmark
smallP1000570.jpg

Panna Cotta:
smallP1000573.jpg

and strawberries with a mascarpone creme:
smallP1000580.jpg

Today was modest breakfast again:
smallP1000583.jpg

Enjoy!

And tonight I'll have some Tramezzini.

Chrono

Banned
so, uh, I bought a a gordon ramsay branded pan.... ~120 dollar skillet... from amazon... the other day... and, well, I don't know what I"m missing but the handle is huge and heavy and when placing the pan on the stove, it tilts toward the handle. I can't get it to completely be even on the heat, and parts of heat aren't as hot as the other. I have to hold it constantly. Same thing happens when I put it on a counter, so it's not the stove. owned. :'(

OnkelC: very, very nice pics. made me hungry - will make a steak in just a few minutes. Though I don't have a camera. Not that ti's worth taking pics of anyway - just a steak on a pan and a pepsi can. I got a cute deep fryer for fires, it's like a small bucket, I'll be trying it now before the steak. *prays*

Deepblue

Banned
Nice thread you have here.

Chicken Parmigiana:

4qx6t86.jpg

I also did a nice spinach, basil, tomato and grilled chicken pizza, but alas, no pictures.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I am lacking inspiration at the moment. Your INput would be appreciated.

What would you like to see/read about in the next days/weeks?

Flynn

OnkelC said:

How about re-creating a recipe somebody else submitted. It would be cool to see how you pull it off.

Grecco

OnkelC said:

Ive been picking up the ingridients for some Escargot which i plan on making soon and posting pics. How bout that?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flynn, I'll consider that, thanks for your input!

Grecco said:
Ive been picking up the ingridients for some Escargot which i plan on making soon and posting pics. How bout that?
NO SNAILS FOR ME!
sorry, but they belong to the small group of ingredients that are strictly out of bounds in ze kitchen.

Other suggestions?

Deepblue

Banned
OnkelC said:
Flynn, I'll consider that, thanks for your input!

NO SNAILS FOR ME!
sorry, but they belong to the small group of ingredients that are strictly out of bounds in ze kitchen.

Other suggestions?

Lemon Orange Chicken w/ Cranberry Infused Rice.

It's gooooood stuff.

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
Just returned from an exam which lasted from sunday to today. Exam was in the hessian town of Wetzlar, a small but pretty town with a vintage flair:
Enjoy!

20 (!) pictures

And tonight I'll have some Tramezzini.

:(

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
:(

1 pic per dish, c'mon

Schedule for the weekend:
Today will be burger BBQ, tomorrow will be Entrecotes with baby potatoes and herbal butter.

Stay tuned and share your stuff plz.

Edit:
addendum - I just put a cheesecake (linky) in the oven.

jak stat

Advice guys please.

What meal be made for 2-3 people, be premade, not too complicated yet not generic either, can survive reheating (or eaten cold or assembled later), and comforts after a long day.

Ok, I just realized that was a bit of a request. But thanks!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jak stat said:
Advice guys please.

What meal be made for 2-3 people, be premade, not too complicated yet not generic either, can survive reheating (or eaten cold or assembled later), and comforts after a long day.

Ok, I just realized that was a bit of a request. But thanks!
Any stew should be fine, just slap together your ingredients of choice and let it cook at low temps for an hour or so. Stews taste best when re-heated! :)

So, Let's cook. Those were the burgers from yesterday:
Half pounder:
smallP1000715.jpg

FULL POUNDER!
smallP1000733.jpg

Size comparison:
smallP1000716.jpg

Raw material:
smallP1000708.jpg

smallP1000709.jpg

Bonus Onion Face pic:
smallP1000701.jpg

We were so stuffed that we didn't even touch the cheesecake ;)

Enjoy.

First time in this thread. I spent the majority of yesterday smoking a beef brisket, and a few racks of baby back ribs.

Photo evidence: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48576062@N00/?saved=1

Very tasty, I put small holes in the brisket and jammed garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorn in the holes and marinated it overnight in wine, oj, and worstershire.

The ribs have a raspberry type of glaze.

I found both recipes online, and smoked the two for 6 hrs.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looking extremely good! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the thread.

Here's a piece of cheesecake:
smallP1000734.jpg

tnw

Banned
A somewhat popular food item here in japan is called ƒ‚ƒƒwƒCƒ„ (moroheiya)
this is apparently what it looks like

yaku_moroheiya.jpg

Continuing my Okinawa kick, I bought a big pouch of powdered moroheiya that looks like this.

p2006030803.jpg

For the longest time, I've always wondered what moroheiya is in English; I mean it's as common as say alfalfa sprouts here (although of course not used in the same way)

doing a search in Wikipedia I came up with this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corchorus

"Corchorus is a genus of about 40-100 species of flowering plants in the family Malvaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions throughout the world. Different common names are used in different contexts, with Jute applying to the fibre produced from the plant, and Melokhia (alternatively spelled Molokhiya, Molohiya, Mulukhiyah, Molehiya or Molocheiya; Arabic: ??????) applied to the leaves used as a vegetable. The Molokhiya is also popular in Japan as vegetable and commonlly called Moroheiya (ƒ‚ƒƒwƒCƒ„). Other names include Bush Okra, Nalta jute, Jute Mallow, and Jew's Mallow."

The language the base katakana words on, although correct can be confusing sometimes. I will never call it Bush Okra or Jew's Mallow :lol

Being one of the most nutritious vegetables, the leaves are rich in betacarotene, iron, calcium, and Vitamin C.
The plant has an antioxidant activity with a significant ƒ¿-tocopherol equivalent Vitamin E.

I've been mixing it into some of my drinks and dishes. I quite like it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
interesting stuff, is it solely used as an additive, a spice or are there "real" dishes made from it?

Entrecote double tonight, which was a bit of a disappointment and it "watered down" quite a bit from this:
smallP1000751.jpg

to this:
smallP1000755.jpg

(princess potatoes, bearnaise and herbal butter as sides)

Enjoy!

Chrono

Banned
^Ahhh very nice! :O

I wanted to make steak tonight but I lost my ipod and didn't want to make the walk to the supermarket like a zombie... it's too far. :'(

How did you cook it?

On another note, can somebody help me with something here... I remember eating something back at home that I'm trying to recreate... with no success. It's simple, chocolate balls in coconut. All online searches turn up ones that need heating and dipped and whatnot. The ones I remember were cold, not dense/hard chocolate like something out of a snack, but not light fluffy cake either... and just rolled around in shredded coconut. that's it.

I just went to the baking section of the supermarket, got that nestle powder chocolate, or whatever it's called, nestle condensed milk, and some shredded coconut. I mixed in the chocolate and milk and rolled them around to make small spheres, rolled them in coconut and put them in the fridge for a while... yuck! they were bitter, awful things. FISSION MAILED. :'(

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
interesting stuff, is it solely used as an additive, a spice or are there "real" dishes made from it?

Moroheiya is usually added to things, especially V8 style vegetable juices.

The instructions on the pouch say to mix a tablespoon into a cup of hot water for moroheiya tea.

I'm still experimenting with it. I added it to my mabo tofu which turned something nornally red

web-mabo-tofu.jpg

Into something green. I've kind of grown to like the color.

I'm also tried it in some aguas frescas; Just fresh fruit and ice liquified with a hand blender. It tends to clump even mixed in hot water when not mixed into something with some viscosity (which is why it worked in the mabo tofu)

But it's hardly exclusively a part of Asian cuisine. It's a national dish of Egypt, and is quite common apparently in a lot of middle eastern food.

imagemolo002.jpg

http://baheyeldin.com/egypt/molokheya-an-egyptian-national-dish.html

Also Turkey/Cyprus

http://www.cypnet.co.uk/ncyprus/culture/cuisine/veg/molohiya.html

tnw

Banned
I made one of my rotation recipies tonight kimchee fried rice (kimuchi chahan)

(excuse the blurry picture, I only have my cellphone)

703973617_33f9b27c97_o.jpg

1 cup of cooked rice

1 tsp sesame oil

1 clove garlic chopped or pressed

1 cup of nira onions chopped

1/2 cup of kimchee

1 head of mini bok choy(I think. chingensai in japanese), seperated at the stalk

1/2 block of grilled tofu, pressed and cubed

1/2 tbsp powdered kombu/mushroom stock (or whatever you have avaliable)

1/2 tbsp powdered moroheiya

1 tbsp ponzu (or soy sauce if not avaliable)

1/2 tbsp of sriracha thai hot sauce

------------

Mix stock, moroheiya, ponzu, and sriracha in a small container until throughly mixed. set aside

put oil in pan and briefly sautee garlic. add the rest of the ingredients except tofu, and including the sauce, and mix until even. add tofu a few minutes later, being careful not to break up the cubes. Sautee until cooked, about 5 minutes.

Letting the rice burn a little bit until it's crunchy is a popular and very delicious way of enjoying this dish

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great, tnw! what is ponzu?

We made some modest salad tonight (yesterday was fish'n'chips extravaganza, same as posted before):

Base was a mix of various lettuces, tomatoes and carrots, topped with some tuna:
smallP1000763.jpg

add a hard boiled egg, a few cheese strips and dressing of choice:
smallP1000770.jpg

a nice baguette would be great as a side dish, but I felt more like a fresh toasted, buttered...toast
smallP1000764.jpg

smallP1000772.jpg

smallP1000760.jpg

And...DONE!
smallP1000771.jpg

Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's
Swedish_chef-1.jpg

*BÖRK BÖRK*

have a small excursion into the Swedish cuisine with the world-famous
at least with Ikea-visitors
Köttbullar A dish not uncommon to the German "Frikladellen", it makes a nice and hearty dinner and is prepared fast.
Ingredients were:
smallP1000784.jpg

-Meatballs prepared as described in the link above
- Pasta of choice,
-some canned mushrooms,
-convenience sauce base,
-lingonberries.

Roast the meatballs in really hot oil until brown and crispy, then add the mushrooms to the skillet:
smallP1000787.jpg

Add the sauce base with water and cream, let it simmer for a few minutes, prepare the pasta,
smallP1000789.jpg

Serve with lingonberries - DONE!
smallP1000791.jpg

Enjoy! / Smaklig måltid!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Leftover pasta from yesterday, american cheese, a skillet, catsup and awesome sunset resulted in this pic:

smallP1000847.jpg

Share your stuff folks, it's not difficult!

Gio_CoD

Banned
Hey Onkel, can you post your recipe/instructions for that mac'n'cheese you had up earlier in the thread. It looked delicious.

zam

OnkelC said:
smallP1000791.jpg

Enjoy! / Smaklig måltid!
Looks awesome, though when doing köttbullar that "fancy" (usually I just do pasta + meatballs + ketchup when I'm not in the mood for cooking. cheap, quick and easy) I'd go with potatoes, either boiled or mashed.

Yours looks great, but in Sweden there is a little stigma of meatballs and pasta being quick and cheap food.

If you want to try more Swedish cuisine I recommend "pytt-i-panna" (lit. hash in pan), really good homestyle dish.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
zam said:
Looks awesome, though when doing köttbullar that "fancy" (usually I just do pasta + meatballs + ketchup when I'm not in the mood for cooking. cheap, quick and easy) I'd go with potatoes, either boiled or mashed.

Yours looks great, but in Sweden there is a little stigma of meatballs and pasta being quick and cheap food.

If you want to try more Swedish cuisine I recommend "pytt-i-panna" (lit. hash in pan), really good homestyle dish.

I know of that stigma, but I was too lazy that night to make mashed potatoes:D

pitt y panna is on the shortlist and will be made when autumn comes, promised!

Flo_Evans

damn this thread always makes my mouth water! I am usually too lazy to cook for myself and too self-conscious to whip out the digi-cam at my favorite restaurant! I will try and contribute some more stuff though... keep up the good work guys! :D

galdevo

Spicy Sriracha Rice w/Chicken

Easy to make, not too many ingredients, and satisfies the spicy demon inside me.

ingredients:
soy sauce
fish sauce
sriracha sauce
ground chili & garlic paste
Dave's ultimate insanity hot sauce
crushed red pepper
chicken breast
cooked rice
eggs

CIMG1306.jpg

Cut up chicken and mix with Dave's hot sauce, red pepper, and sriracha sauce.

CIMG1309.jpg

Combine soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha sauce, ground chili paste, Dave's, crushed red pepper. You want to make about a cup, mostly sriracha.

CIMG1308.jpg

Now your ready to cook it.

CIMG1312.jpg

Get your wok very hot and add oil & chicken. Once cooked, add eggs and scramble into the chicken. KEEP STIRRING.

CIMG1315.jpg

Add sauce and rice and stir on high heat for about two minutes and you're done, add more sriracha to taste.

CIMG1319.jpg

Hot like the fires of Hell :D

zam

anyone have any tips of good, easy recipes? I'm a poor student so nothing too expensive, and I have a lot of pasta and chicken breasts.

Also Onkel, what's the recipe for your mac and cheese?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
galdevo, thanks for sharing! What drinks do you serva alongside that fiery extravaganza?:lol

zam said:
anyone have any tips of good, easy recipes? I'm a poor student so nothing too expensive, and I have a lot of pasta and chicken breasts.

Also Onkel, what's the recipe for your mac and cheese?
Nearly all recipes posted in the cooking threads are rather easy, just try out what suits you best.

The recipe for mac and cheese can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p= 4600742&postcount=74
and here:
http://cjaeger.jrpereira.com/?p=13

karasu

747185408_788c033435_o.jpg

Cheesecake pudding, light strawberries,blackberries, sugar wafers, and whipped cream with sprinkles on top. T'was easy peasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom