• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looking good!

Hopefully my new cam should arrive today, so I can contribute again. Keep sharing, folks!

Bummer about the camera. Hopefully tomorrow...

As for random pics, this won't be too random. The Uno vs. Giordano's Pizza thread inspired me to post about this.

There's a fantastic new thin-crust pizza restaurant in Chicago that just opened up a month ago. And it's gooooood.

It's called Coal Fire Pizza.

From The Chicago Tribune:

The Chicago Tribune said:
Chicago’s thin-crust pizza competition is hot. Coal Fire Pizza, which opened May 8, is as good as Neapolitan-pie fan fave Spacca Napoli. We know, heresy.

And we’re not saying Coal Fire makes Neapolitan, we’re just saying the thin crust with puffed-up, crispy edges, some of it beautifully charred, is delicious with doughy goodness and the perfect amount of salt.

Like the name implies, they have a huge, coal fired oven that they use to cook their pies. They have a bready, thin crust with all the integrity of an East Coast pizza. (The guys who own this are from Western Massachusetts). The pies coming right out of the oven look amazing and have a big blistery crust. One noticeable difference from Neapolitan types is the black, dusty char on the top of the crust from the coal oven.

coalfirepizza1ey7.jpg

coalfirepizza2no0.jpg

coalfirepizza3lw7.jpg

coalfirejayjd4.jpg

coalfireovenfl7.jpg

Sausage Pizza:
coalfirepizza8ri6.jpg

"White" pizza with mozzarella and ricotta cheese:
coalfirepizza7ky0.jpg

"Full Distance" Pizza with tomato slices, onions, sausage and salami:
CoalFirePizza13.jpg

puck1337

heavy liquid said:
Bummer about the camera. Hopefully tomorrow...

As for random pics, this won't be too random. The Uno vs. Giordano's Pizza thread inspired me to post about this.

There's a fantastic new thin-crust pizza restaurant in Chicago that just opened up a month ago. And it's gooooood.

It's called Coal Fire Pizza.
Thanks for this! I'm going to Chicago in a couple of months and I'll try to check it out.

tnw

Banned
heavy liquid said:

that looks great (sausage aside). It really looks like the pizza you get out east.

evil evil. Now I want good pizza. :O....... (the periods are supposed to be drool)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Made a Almond tarte yesterday, was a really simple recipe with only five ingredients:
START
smallIMG_1019.jpg

FINISH:
smallIMG_1045.jpg

If there is interest in the prep, please say so.

onkelc: please share how to make the almond tart. i've had zero experience making desserts, since i mostly focus on savory foods. i'd love to learn more though! how is the texture on that tart?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cake mix lol:)

The almond tarte is a really easy to make dessert cake IF (big if, that is) you have pre-peeled almonds. The texture is firm and juicy, but not wet.

Ingredients for a 30cm tarte pan or spring pan are:
3 eggs,
60 grams of butter and some butter for the pan,
150 grams wheat flour,
200 grams of confectioners sugar/powdered sugar,
400 grams almonds.

separate the eggs and make a shortcrust dough from the yolks, flour, butter and a tablespoon of the sugar (add some water if it turns out too dry):
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1020.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1021.jpg
smallIMG_1023.jpg

Wrap the dough in saran wrap and store it in the fridge for about an hour.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1025.jpg

Now for the almonds. If you got peeled ones, grind 300 grams of them.
If you only can get ordinary ones, prepare for a lot of cursing and burnt fingers.:lol Put the almonds in a colander which is standing in a bowl or pot, pour a lot of boiling water over them, let them rest for five minutes and then pick them out in small portions and peel them one by one while they are still hot:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1027.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1029.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1031.jpg
smallIMG_1030.jpg

Some 30 minutes later, your workplace should look like this:
smallIMG_1032.jpg

When the dough has chilled down enough, pre-heat the oven to about 200 degrees celsius.
Spread out the dough on the "floured" workplace and place it in the oven pan of choice:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1039.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1038.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1040.jpg

Now beat the egg whites while sifting in the confectioners sugar. When it's really stiff, grind the almonds and mix them with the baiser mass:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1033.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1034.jpg

Spread the topping on the dough, decorate with the rest of the almonds and bake it on the bottom grid of the oven for about 15-20 minutes:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1041.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/AlmondTarte/smallIMG_1042.jpg

And that's basically it. Remove from oven, let it cool down for an hour and...
smallIMG_1045.jpg

Enjoy!

Is it OK with the amount of pics like that?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
FISH'N'CHIPS abomination for tonight:
smallIMG_1072.jpg

smallIMG_1073.jpg

Turned out quite nice, actually:
smallIMG_1075.jpg

smallIMG_1074.jpg

(yes, that's vinegar in that bottle)

tnw

Banned
an almond tart sounds delicious. I would love to add something like raspberries. Almonds are one of my favorite nuts.

I did a lot of cooking today :D

Okinawa, the southern most prefecture of Japan, has a lot of unique foods in Japan. Each prefecture in Japan has a store in Tokyo to promote them, and the Okinawan is one of my absolute favorite. I bought some Goya, among other things, just to try it out.

Goya looks like this. It is fairly bitter, but it has lots of vitimans. It also has a high amount of protein that doesn't denature when it is cooked even at high heat for long time.

050712goya_thumb.jpg

I sliced some translucent thin with my mandolin. I also sliced some onions equally thin, soaked them in some water to settle them down a little bit.

I made a dressing of goat cheese and a small amount of orange juice. I also added some okinawan citrus (shikwasa) and some okinawan chili pepper sauce.

Mixed it all together. It was delicious!

Then I used the other half of the goya to make filling for gyoza! I used this recipe for inspiration, but made a couple of my own adjustments (you can see the what the goya looks like cut in the '1' picture

http://cookpad.com/ami/recipe/376678/

I saw some cantaloupe at the grocery store, and decided to make some aguas frescas. It wasa about 1/4 of a melon. All I did was puree the melon with some water and ice. It was so refreshing. I didn't have any sugar, but I was actually glad i didn't add any, just really got the taste of the fruit, and the ice made it so crisp.

That almonds tart looks amazing, OnkelC. *drool*

I love goya, tnw. I'm used to calling it bitter melon, though (or also ampalaya). I had to look it up to make sure it was the same thing. ;) I was pretty sure it was, judging from the picture. I'm mostly used to it in Chinese and Filipino dishes, but I'd love to try a Japanese dish that uses it. The dish you made sounds great.

johnsenclan said:
So do you use the goya in dishes similar to a cucumber? That's what your description reminds me of.

I'd like to know, too. I know in the Philippines they'll eat the shoots and leaves when their young as greens. But most of the cooking I'm familiar with that uses it, will cook it as a vegetable, usually with some kind of meat (although not always).

Tonight was a quick dish. I had some pork that I marinated in a honey-pineapple sauce, and some fresh veggies. I marinated the veggies in a big plastic bag with olive oil, salt and pepper.

DSCF0286.jpg

DSCF0291.jpg

DSCF0293.jpg

tnw

Banned
johnsenclan said:
So do you use the goya in dishes similar to a cucumber? That's what your description reminds me of.

Not really. People don't normally eat it uncooked because it's so bitter. I like the bitterness, and cut very thin it's not that strong.

Probably the most generic way to eat goya is in goya champuru. It's goya, eggs, tofu, and pork stir fried together.

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&client=safari&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=en&q=goya champuru

I don't really like it; it has pork in it, but even without the pork it doesn't really do the goya justice.

There's really a bazillion and one ways japanese people eat goya. Goya juice, Goya tea, etc etc.

Most goya recipies involve stir frying. i did a recipe serach for goya, and like 95% of the recipies were for goya and tuna salad. booooring.

edit: is that zucchini heavy liquid? God that looks good. Zucchini is so frickin expensive here, like 300 yen for one :( Grilled zucchini put in a calzone or something is just so delicious.

Funny that you call it bitter melon. I'm going to have a tough time shopping when I go back to the US. Do you have komatsuna, er, mustard greens? :lol You're right though, they do use it in Chinese cooking. I was very pleasantly suprised to see it in a lot of our dishes when I went on a trip to Sichuan (Szechuan) a couple years ago. :D

Yep, that's zucchini along with mushrooms and broccoli. 300 yen? Yeesh. I guess you could splurge and get one or two every now and then, but yeah, bummer it's so expensive in Japan.

jak stat

They eat bitter melon in Taiwan, India and SE Asia as well. Around here they usually stir fry it with egg or boil/steam it stuffed with meat.

My friend said that my bitter melon soup was the second worst thing he ever ate. :(

tnw

Banned
jak stat said:
They eat bitter melon in Taiwan, India and SE Asia as well. Around here they usually stir fry it with egg or boil/steam it stuffed with meat.

My friend said that my bitter melon soup was the second worst thing he ever ate. :(

double :(

Anyway, to bore you all even more with my bizarre food adventures, some other okinawan foods I really like are:

Sanpin cha. It's essentially just green tea and jasmine tea mixed together, but it's fun to drink. one sip will taste like Jasmine and the next green! It's fun. Sanpin cha is actually originally chinese I'm pretty sure.

Tofuyo.

No, not Tofu, tofuYO. It is sometimes equated in pugency and texture of blue cheese. It's dried tofu soaked in awamori, an okinawan alcohol, and koji, the starter rice bacteria for making sake. It's VERY strong, but tastes quite good mixed into a bowl of rice.

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/027/eng/003/001/001_02.html

tofuyo-cutnaka.jpg

One of my coworkers heard me talking about how much I like tofuyo, and he introduced me to a type of pickle called nara-tsuke. Nara is a prefecture in Japan, and tsuke means pickle (more or less). It tastes VERY similar to tofuyo and is also made from a melon/gourd!

naraduke.jpg

galdevo

This meal is brought to you by Lipton Onion Soup Mix, but really we had about 1lb. of ground beef that was starting to go bad so we decided to do some grilling (also that damn "best burger" thread was starting to get to me).

Before anything I got the coals going
heatingcoals.jpg

Then I began to prepare the potato wedges:
4 cut potatoes
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1/3 cup olive oil
A dusting of Tony Chachere's

Mix together and put in a 450 degree oven for 35 min.
potatoprep.jpg

For the burger mix I used:
1.2lbs ground beef
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 beef bullion cube
1 tsp. garlic
1 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. minced onion
spices.jpg

I mixed the seasoning before I added the beef
meatmix.jpg

On the grill
burgerscooking.jpg

After throwing them on the grill I boiled some corn and cut the veggies
toppings.jpg

I put a quarter on the plate for scale, these mothers were pretty big, used kaiser rolls for buns
burgerscale.jpg

The potatoes finished just in time
burgerdone2.jpg

It was damn good and I think I got my burger fix for a while.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks to you all for sharing the delish stuff!:)

The burger looks amazingly good, thanks for the size comparison and welcome to the thread, galdevo!

heavy liquid, I like the idea of roasting veggies on the grill.

My cam finally arrived, so I will be able to post some new stuff tonight. Won't be anything spectacular, though :/

Keep'em coming, folks!

That burger looks good, galdevo! This and the other burger thread is making me want to cook one.

OnkelC said:
heavy liquid, I like the idea of roasting veggies on the grill.

I love roasting veggies on the grill. When I first grilled veggies, I was worried that they might dry out, but this was thankfully not the case at all. It gives it an excellent flavor, and the fire really traps in all of the juices.

One of my favorite things to do is to roast asparagus on the grill. If you like asparagus, I definitely recommend it. Coat it with olive oil, lemon and garlic, and then some salt and pepper. You can lay them right on the grill. Mmmm.

jak stat

tnw said:
Tofuyo.

No, not Tofu, tofuYO. It is sometimes equated in pugency and texture of blue cheese. It's dried tofu soaked in awamori, an okinawan alcohol, and koji, the starter rice bacteria for making sake. It's VERY strong, but tastes quite good mixed into a bowl of rice.

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/027/eng/003/001/001_02.html
That sounds like the Chinese doufu-ru. It's also soaked in alcohol and fermented. I usually eat it with boiled cabbage and rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_tofu

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
The mac n' cheese looks good, OnkleC! How are you liking the new camera so far? I'm sure you must still getting used to it.
Thanks. Yeah, it's my first Panasonic and I need to adjust to it, but so far it's nice. OT comparison shot (top Casio Exilim EX-Z1000, bottom Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3):

smallCIMG5680-1.jpg

smallP1000062.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I did a little improvisation tonight and made a panfry dish from boiled rice, zucchini, bell pepper, onions, some ground beef, savoy cabbage and some sweet soy sauce. These were the ingredients:
smallP1000188.jpg

smallP1000190.jpg

just boil the rice, fry the meat, add the other ingredients (preferred order: onions, cabbage,soy sauce/broth of chioce red pepper and zucchini), spice and rice:
smallP1000191.jpg

smallP1000198.jpg

smallP1000199.jpg

smallP1000200.jpg

Aaaand serve (took about 30 minutes in total):
smallP1000202.jpg

Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

Share your thoughts and recipes, please!

544022147_2f6c1187e2.jpg

Chicken Zucchini Salad

I grilled the chicken in oil, using plenty of salt and pepper. Cut up red onion, zucchinni and spinach. I made a dressing with pepper, fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Tossed it all together and chowed down.

Chrono

Banned
General question...

I was watching Hell's Kitchen season 1 just now and one time ramsey returns a plate to be redone because the fish was put on cold plates... Now my question is, uh, am I supposed to heat the plates I use...? How, with a microwave? :lol

tnw

Banned
You all are using zucchini, no fair :(

That sounds like the Chinese doufu-ru. It's also soaked in alcohol and fermented. I usually eat it with boiled cabbage and rice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_tofu

I think it is similar, although the soaking ingredients (red koji and awamori) are pretty specific to okinawa.

edit: reading the japanese entry 琉球王朝時代に明から伝えられた「乳腐」が元になったと言われている。 Tofuyo is said to have come to the Ryukyu (okinawa) islands during the ming dynasty and is based on doufu-ru.

I'll have to try it on some cooked greens next time. I have some komatsuna in the refrigerator. I normally just cook it with better and cracked pepper, but slathering it with Tofuyo sounds pretty tasty.

I spread some tofuyo on some schinkenbrot with some goat cheese and onion jam yesterday. it was pretty good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for your comments. What's wrong with Zucchini, tnw?

Chrono said:
General question...

I was watching Hell's Kitchen season 1 just now and one time ramsey returns a plate to be redone because the fish was put on cold plates... Now my question is, uh, am I supposed to heat the plates I use...? How, with a microwave? :lol
Heated plates are fine with all "delicate" dishes like fish. Best way to heat them is in the oven at around 80 degrees celsius.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tnw said:
It's really really expensive here, so it's hard to justify using it even though I love it :(
:lol
The rice pan would go fine without zucchini, too. I only added it because it was lying around here.
The one I used was only 25 cents or so, btw.

tnw

Banned
OnkelC said:
:lol
The rice pan would go fine without zucchini, too. I only added it because it was lying around here.
The one I used was only 25 cents or so, btw.

they're $3/piece here :(

Rhubarb is like $7 for 3 pieces :(

Raspberries are like $5/small container :(((

Chrono said:
General question...

The oven at 120 F or put them in a sink of hot water for 20 minutes. You don't want the bottom of the fish to get cold.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Turkey breast, sliced and coated with corn flour
Snow peas, whole
Shitake mushrooms, sliced
Chilli peppers, dry, red
Peanuts, roasted, unsalted
Onion, thinly sliced
Garlic, minced
Ginger, minced

Sauce:
Dark soysauce, 1/3rd cup
Light soysauce, 1/3rd cup
Chinese sherry, 1/3rd cup
Sesame seed oil, 1/8th cup
Sugar, to taste

15062007714.jpg

Stir fry peppers, onions, peanuts, ginger and garlic for 3 mins in medium high heat until onions become soft and golden. (Make sure the heat is not too high or the peppers will give out an acrid odour)

15062007715.jpg

Add turkey, stir fry till white

15062007716.jpg

Add mushrooms and snow peas, stir fry for 3 minutes and then add sauce

15062007717.jpg

Continue cooking until sauce reduces/thickens, should be about 3 more minutes

15062007718.jpg

Serve on white rice

15062007719.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome Kung Pao turkey! Thanks for sharing, capslock.:) Now I know how the pea shots are called, haven't found a good translation yet (they are called "Zuckerschoten" over here).

The friday dinner was a bit uncommon, but tasty nonetheless. We had some panfried potatoes ("Bratkartoffeln", as ze German calls them) with some roast beef cold cuts and sunny side ups. Some lambs lettuce to go along with it and some strawberries with a modest chantilly topping for dessert!

smallP1000243.jpg

smallP1000248.jpg

smallP1000251.jpg

(sorry for the overexposure on the last pic, I still got to find the perfect setting ;))

Enjoy! and keep sharing.

Edit:

some easy listening music to accomodate dinner:
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1028484

i attempted thomas keller's version of mac n cheese/gratin today. it was...very tasty. but also, very rich. has truffle ham, mushrooms, gruyere and emmethaler, cream, milk, butter, thyme, and panko.

558522371_81d08f878b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, that is one fine gratin! Thanks for sharing. The thyme would make for a nice mediterranean taste, right?

Gratins with pasta go by the less flattering name of "Nudelauflauf" over here, btw ;)

Chrono said:
Another cooking question... the george foreman grill - yes or no?
Hi Chrono,
a "rather yes" from me on the foreman grill, I got one a year ago, a nice addition to my utensil rack, don't use it that often but it's a good feeling it's there.

Made some BBQ'ed sausages yesterday:
smallP1000258.jpg

smallP1000260.jpg

I still haven't got the perfect setting for indoor flash shots, so excuse the rather bright second picture.

Cdammen

Really simple pizza dough recipe.

Set your oven to ~225C and insert your baking tin. The tin needs to be pre-heated to get that perfect pizza bottom.

25g fresh yeast (we swedes have it packaged in little small 50g cubes)
1 and 1/2dl lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon liquid honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 and 1/2dl oatmeal

Crumble the fresh yeast into a big bowl and add the lukewarm water. Stir to disperse the yeast. Add the rest of the ingredients and work the dough (first in the bowl and later on a bench) into a smooth lump. Add oatmeal if the dough is to sticky/wet and use the lower parts of your palms and fold it whenever it gets to flat. Folding traps air which is good when baking bread, it gives the bread texture :)

When the dough is perfect (e.g. not sticky) you should put it back into the bowl, place it in the vicinity of your oven and cover it with a cloth.

iCVufTniJ.jpg

Now you have to wait for approximately 30 minutes while the dough rises. Use this time to prepare your pizza topping. It's your choice, go crazy!

SIoenwawW.jpg

Leftovers, yummy!

DING! 30 minutes have passed and your dough is ready. The bottom of your dough should have a texture and look something like this:

gJHZbRHsX.jpg

Now roll out your dough lump into any shape you want, but it should be pretty thin. Make pizza edges. Take out your pre-heated baking tin from the oven and slide the dough sheet onto it. Toss the pizza bottom into the oven for about three minutes, take it out, add your topping and fling it back into the oven for six to eight minutes. Done. Enjoy :)

tSVhSasKP.jpg

i wanted to go light tonight and make a dish that reminded me of my father. he makes the best steamed fish, but since i have no steamer, i improvised. i present to you (and all the fathers out there):

lightly grilled tilapia on a bed of salad greens, scallions and ginger are seared with sesame oil as the last step.

562110138_653c1e859f.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cdammen and smirkrevenge, real good stuff there. I usually let the pizza dough rise two times, makes it extra fluffy.

smirkrevenge, you can substitute a steamer with a really big pot. put an inch of water in it, place a colander on the pot and seal the sides with a kitchen towel. the pot on top of the colander should seal it off enough.

I tried out some fried mozzarella again yesterday, but wasn't careful enough:
smallP1000288.jpg

Charcoal Cheese YAY!

Tonight was a history repeating moment, I made some Schnitzel again (first ever cooking post for me on NeoGAF):
smallP1000320.jpg

And as a bonus, some Gratin recipe, Doitch style:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TPVop9qJUiI

Enjoy! and keep sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom