• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes Boss!

jarosh said:
no actual "problems". followed every step of the recipe. the end result looked the same but tasted awful. never happened to me before. i'm not usually one to follow recipes but when i do i usually get it right. this seemed pretty straightforward. i had all the same ingredients. even the spices were fresh. only the fenugreek was missing. i've cooked indian food before too. i make currys all the time. not sure what went wrong.

Oh crap, did you make the dish I posted a few days back or something else? :-( Rajma Masala has a lot of leeway.

jarosh

Yes Boss! said:
Oh crap, did you make the dish I posted a few days back or something else? :-( Rajma Masala has a lot of leeway.
yep. of course i'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like. i've never had it before. but i generally dig indian food. and i doubt it was supposed to taste like that.

Yes Boss!

jarosh said:
yep. of course i'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like. i've never had it before. but i generally dig indian food. and i doubt it was supposed to taste like that.

Sad face.

I use, for my recipe, my own experience, some of Sanjay Thumma and a bit of Manjula and combine them for what I like. I've made it a few dozen times and change it up every time. Kidney is king so I'm wondering what was wrong. Fresh spices are not necessary as long as they are whole since then the shelf life is years. Damn, I feel really bad.

For what it is worth, I have had massive failures as well. Here is a fried tindora recipe I made two weeks back which was inedible and went straight into the trash. A shame since there was $3 worth of tindora, fresh curry leaves and pricey nuts:

P1020868.jpg

jarosh

Yes Boss! said:
Sad face.

I use, for my recipe, my own experience, some of Sanjay Thumma and a bit of Manjula and combine them for what I like. I've made it a few dozen times and change it up every time. Kidney is king so I'm wondering what was wrong. Fresh spices are not necessary as long as they are whole since then the shelf life is years. Damn, I feel really bad.

For what it is worth, I have had massive failures as well. Here is a fried tindora recipe I made two weeks back which was inedible and went straight into the trash. A shame since there was $3 worth of tindora, fresh curry leaves and pricey nuts:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020868.jpg
no reason to feel bad. i have no idea what the problem was. i can relate though - i actually wanted to make a huge amount of the rajma - so much food went to waste. that's what i really feel bad about now. i even bought some chapati... gonna have to think of something to make so i can use that soon.

Yes Boss!

I like to slum it with "premium" ingredients as well. I made a super pizza two weeks back with chili, american slices, ghetto "just-add-water" dough and hot dogs. Ironically, it cost about $10 and I could have made a real pizza for about half the price.

Ingredients ( I chose Coors Light to drink while cooking):

P1020883.jpg

Finished pie. It looks dark but that is just because of the chile:

P1020885.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes Boss! said:
I like to slum it with "premium" ingredients as well. I made a super pizza two weeks back with chili, american slices, ghetto "just-add-water" dough and hot dogs. Ironically, it cost about $10 and I could have made a real pizza for about half the price.
Could you share how you did that? I have everything but the hotdogs (I'll use chicken instead) :D

(Bought 2 of those pizza packets when they were like $0.20 or something)

Ramma2

Looking for suggestions for my Christmas day menu, I'd like to get it sorted early so I can give all the recipes a go before the big day!

Here's what I got so far:

Salad: Spinach, Apple and Pecan Salad
Main Course: Turkey Roulade w/ Apple Cider Gravy
Side 1: ?? Thinking something w/ sweet potatoes
Side 2: ?? Something vegetable-ly
Dessert: ?? Totally open here

Any thoughts/suggestions/winner recipes from your own experiences?

Zyzyxxz

Ramma2 said:
Looking for suggestions for my Christmas day menu, I'd like to get it sorted early so I can give all the recipes a go before the big day!

Here's what I got so far:

Salad: Spinach, Apple and Pecan Salad
Main Course: Turkey Roulade w/ Apple Cider Gravy
Side 1: ?? Thinking something w/ sweet potatoes
Side 2: ?? Something vegetable-ly
Dessert: ?? Totally open here

Any thoughts/suggestions/winner recipes from your own experiences?

For side 1: you can try a sheperd's pie using mashed sweet potatoes as the topping.
http://www.norecipes.com/2009/06/18/mint-and-lamb-shepherds-pie-recipe/

Instead of using individual serving plates you can try doing it a big casserole style.

Side 2: I think a simple side of roasted root vegetables would be great (carrots, onions, fennel root, red potatoes, mushrooms, garlic or brussel sprouts). Drizzle with olive oil, crack some black pepper over it, and sprinkle kosher salt and pop it in the oven and you are good to go.

Dessert: I don't eat dessert and its not my specialty but seeing as you have a turkey and are using the oven already maybe prepare something in advance that you can put in the fridge. Maybe something like a peanut brittle or tapioca pudding.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Humble Request:

every other thread on the gaming side has some fancy banner/picture for the first post,

maybe somebody capable of doing such stuff could make a title pic for IronGAF as well please?

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:
Humble Request:

every other thread on the gaming side has some fancy banner/picture for the first post,

maybe somebody capable of doing such stuff could make a title pic for IronGAF as well please?

I like this idea. When I want to search for the thread I do a google search and always come up with Onkel's hangover image...be nice to see something specific. Also, congrats Onkel on the thread. My favorite after MarkMan's monthly consumer pick-up thread. Get a lot of ideas from this one.

PS, went to Stone Brewery tonight. The food was not much to write home about but all the beer on tap was exquisite. Escondido is not really in a great area for tourists but if anybody is in the north county area of San Diego it is definitely worth a trip (maybe if you are going to the Wild Animal Park). I got a half dozen beers and things like the oaked porter were very nice when served draught. World-class beer, right next to my beloved belgian beers. Pretty awesome that this stuff is in our own back yard. Curious if this beer is known in other parts of the world?

Zoe

Yes Boss! said:
I like this idea. When I want to search for the thread I do a google search

You should subscribe to the thread. That way it can always be reached through your control panel.

Zyzyxxz said:
Nicely done!

How did you cook the duck btw? I love duck and I wouldn't mind trying something similar in the future although I find the pairing of duck and cous cous strange.

The duck I just baked in the oven, but I seasoned it with:

Orange Juice
Honey
Salt
Pepper
Chilli
Ground onions and sweet peppers
Olive Oil

The sweetness tends to wear of the longer you cook it, so adjust amounts carefully. Duck and cous cous only came about because I was reading the cooking times, and the recipe was for duck and cous cous, so it gave me an idea!

besada

Banned
Texas Sheet Cake

Cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar, sifted (4 1/4 cups sifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans

Cake: Combine butter, water, and cocoa in saucepan over medium heat; heat until butter melts. Add sugar, flour, salt, eggs, soda, sour cream, and vanilla; mix well. Pour into a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.

Frosting: Combine butter, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with electric mixer. Fold in pecans. Pour frosting over hot sheet cake and spread out gently.

It's best to time it out so you're mixing the frosting just as the cake comes out, for easier spreading, but even if the frosting's cooled a little, it'll loosen up on the hot cake.

This is a gooey, sugary, traditional Texas dessert. Which is why we're all fat:D

Zyzyxxz

Turkey currently in the oven finishing up, almost done and I'm worried about overcooking my 19 lb on the left.

Brined in salt, brown sugar, black peppercorns, and minced garlic

Stuffed it with carrots, onions, celery, quartered lemon

Basted with melted herb butter consisting of sage, rosemary, chives, and minced garlic

4135970301_73c0f12500_o.jpg

The competing Turkey on the right is by a different restaurant owner who wanted to borrow our oven, I'm hoping I can outdo his strange fried-rice stuffed turkey.

Kal

OnkelC said:
Man, I'm seriously hungry now :)
I'd prefer your turkey variant, hands down.

Lol... based on what? They both look yummy :lol

I'll try and get a camera soon... might be posting a lot of Nigerian recipes :D

Zyzyxxz

4136825604_3656d7300e_o.jpg

Ok so the smaller turkey has finished since its only like 12-13 lbs.

Now my 19 lb is almost done but when I poked into the thigh... RED!

Grrr... back into the oven for a little bit more cooking time and basting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kal said:
Lol... based on what? They both look yummy :lol

I'll try and get a camera soon... might be posting a lot of Nigerian recipes :D
based on the prep description on top of his post, einstein :p
Nigerian dishes wold be interesting, looking forward to it!

Yes Boss!

Only made a pumpkin pie for thanksgiving.

Crust came out a little dark and the custard cracked but that did not change the flavor. To give it a slight indian spin I used only lighter cane jaggery to sweeten the custard, fresh grated ginger, and amplified the fresh ground spices...mace, nutmeg, cardamon, flat cinnamon bark and twenty whole cloves. Also, spread a layer of ground roasted cashew, almonds and graham between the crust and custard to add flavor and prevent a soggy bottom. Whipped topping is heavy cream and maple syrup. A bit ugly, but tasty. Pies are always hard for me.

P1030101.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, Thanksgiving is well over and no new turkey pic?
You make me sad, people.

We're doing a farewell tour at our favorite restaurants in Bonn at the moment, had a carpaccio and carbonara tonight, the wife went with vitello tonnato and a pizza (stock pics from different occasions, for illustration purposes only):

smallP1000862.jpg

smallP1000938.jpg

smallCIMG0005.jpg

smallP1000689.jpg

Zyzyxxz

some people spend Thanksgiving over 4 days so it might not be quite over yet for those who are traveling to spend time with relatives.

Anyway nice pics Onkel! Is that beef or tuna carpacio?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
some people spend Thanksgiving over 4 days so it might not be quite over yet for those who are traveling to spend time with relatives.

Anyway nice pics Onkel! Is that beef or tuna carpacio?
it was a beef carpaccio. Happy first sunday of advent to everybody!

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:
it's still the old place *cries*

I wanna see the new kitchen! In fact, I'd love to see pics of everybody's cooking space. Mine is modest but I love it and I religiously use a few pieces daily. No gas, unfortunately but I make do. It was amazing what Onkel made in his tiny space. AMAZING.

Yes Boss!

OnkelC said:

Awesome! That always blows my mind. Here in So Cal the kitchens are so amplified (especially in southern orange county). Yours reminds me of my space in Paris....though I had a fridge half the size and the freezer needed to be defrosted every few weeks. Really, not a biggie since shopping daily for ingredients was common.

Btw, I turned 35 today. Can't believe I'm halfway through my life!

Yes Boss!

Made a big pot of vegetarian Ghormeh Sabzi. Instead of lamb I upped the kidney bean and then added a few cups of cooked black-eyed peas. Also added a dozen fried blue baby potatoes (which unfortunately turned dark brown). Put some butter at the finish to compensate for the lack of fat.

P1030144.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OnkelC said:
Moving to new flat imminent, wish me luck that everything goes well.

And keep sharing please, folks!

Is this the one you made a video of? At any rate congrats on the new place. I absolutely hate moving so I wish you the best of luck on a nice easy move.

Yes Boss!

Cooked a sweet and spicy squash dish (the one pictured above, called Carnival squash I believe). Heavy use of ground fennel powder and tart mango powder in this one as well as 1/3 of a cup of dark jaggery to the spoonful of chili powder and four dried chilis. Nicely balanced but the squash was kinda granula in texture. Not sure if that is normal...this is the first time I've ever cooked a squash.

P1030154.jpg

ChryZ

It's been awhile since I posted in this this thread, but I always wanted to congratulate Yes Boss! on his great looking food. Amazing stuff.

I've been cooking less lately, but still enjoy it when I find the time. I made Teriyaki Salmon Donburi the other day:

teriyaki_salmon.jpg

ChryZ said:
It's been awhile since I posted in this this thread, but I always wanted to congratulate Yes Boss! on his great looking food. Amazing stuff.

I've been cooking less lately, but still enjoy it when I find the time. I made Teriyaki Salmon Donburi the other day:

That looks amazing, i'm drooling.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
To celebrate my new found hobby (mycology), I sauteed some baby portabellas in butter, chopped garlic and 1 little HOT green chili pepper! I seasoned it with sea salt (big crystals) and some black pepper. It was delicious. I <3 this thread.

4156978444_dd2e1835f2.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to add dessert (cream-puffs with nutella spread on top).

4156272941_4ff9675437.jpg

It's soooooooo good. Try it.
Calories:
over 9000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom